What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO w/TheNewGuy - 2012 Method -

Just chiming to say great thread. Love the tutorial and pics too. Thanks to others for sharing about filters and clamps. Where do you get your filter material?

thanks for stopping in... filter is reusable... i picked up the 73 micron mesh on http://www.amazon.com/Polyester-Scr...35?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1176504069&sr=8-1

latest oil shots
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

smoooth

Wow looks great. TNG has been posting some really good tutorials lately and I want to say thanks. They make good reads and help me improve my own.

Kushed_

Nice thread, great pictures. I need to get a pump and chamber. I have a lot of material to run, and need to decide on which one to buy. I will look for the model you use. Thanks!

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
-TNG- I dont know If you've seen my thread about silicone coated parchment, but I would discontinue the method of spraying directly onto parchment paper. I have not found a brand of parchemnt that is not coated in silicone as parchment literally means siliconized paper, and silicone is not compatable with n-butane. Silicone isn't the only problem though, alot of cheaper brands still have residual chemicals from the paper production and at heat release heavy metals.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=242078

Just looking out for your health brother, If I were you I would throw that under vacuum at constant heat for bit, you got alot of trapped solvent. Even crystal clear oil with zero bubbles can still have solvent trapped with in, but when you can actually see that many bubbles still, it needs alot longer. How long do you vac for? And do you use constant heat or do have to reheat in between vacs?

Either way I love lookin at big well taken pictures of extracts! Just want everyone to be consuming safe oils. :)

I've seen this information on a few different websites recently. i personally am not too convinced in the current finding. I've seen one test where a guy soaked the paper in butane but then muddied up his findings by some how having paper bits left behind in the petri dish, when he started out with a solid piece.... how does that even happen? i would like to see something done where the parchment is rolled like a straw or small tube and the butane had to run completely threw it, almost like an extractor tube. maybe i should just cram my extractor with parchment and have a go at it :D i am also curious about the dissolving factor, i've read the reaction on the rubber was swelling... i guess the jury is still out on the spray.

here is something i find rather interesting, these new "oil slick" silicone mat's people are using to spray on as a replacement to parchment. they are claiming it's "surgical grade" silicone but it's still silicone regardless. may be safe for internal human use, but there isn't butane to react with the material inside a human body. second point i would like to make about these mats, is the fact that regardless of the grade, silicone still "reacts" so what is the difference? The other new replacement is teflon... ptfe or pfoa, both have countless articles online about teflon & the poisonous vapors associated with heating it. there are even articles about removing it from all cookware by 2015. Cooking with aluminum foil has been linked Alzheimer's so the stuff we use everyday isn't always "food safe" & i don't really doubt the speculation of something going on with the paper.

I don't claim to be a medical purist of any sort... definitely a recreational user. as for passing this method onto others, I AM a bit concerned for people following my method. I wouldn't want to pass on info that could harm others (myself, i'm not too worried about)... but if safety or "purity" is a concern, my suggestion is simply stick to 100% glass. Glass is known to be as inert as it gets right up to the melting point :)

I appreciate you bringing it up... the topic has been popping up left and right lately.

Obsidian

Veteran
nice work, but parchment paper is embedded/impregnated with a silicone not coated.
In the UK they call parchment paper "siliconized" paper, so it's much different than waxed paper. As a result it can take high temperature, like silicon scrapers, that's why it has a non-stick quality to it.
not safe but hey, what ever floats you r boat is fine with me.

do a little research, the 411 is available.
I'll stick to my glass pans

nice work, but parchment paper is embedded/impregnated with a silicone not coated
Thanks, yeah, we already addressed the silicone & paper thing... The two posts directly above yours.

If I were you I would through that under vacuum at constant heat for bit, you got alot of trapped solvent. Even crystal clear oil with zero bubbles can still have solvent trapped with in, but when you can actually see that many bubbles still, it needs alot longer. How long do you vac for? And do you use constant heat or do have to reheat in between vacs?

Either way I love lookin at big well taken pictures of extracts! Just want everyone to be consuming safe oils.

i meant to address this earlier but i had to leave. to purge i warm the oil with a heat gun (on low @ 120F) to the point it's all liquid and will run down the paper. at that point i quickly place the oil in the desiccator and pull the vac to 30 in Hg. i repeat this about 9 or so times depending when i feel it's done. i have a video but i've changed a few things since making it & some parts got sloppy cuz it's hard to work a camera to show what i need and get the work done at the same time.
[youtubeif]BHO w/ Vacuum Purge -2012 Method- - YouTube [/youtubeif]

in order to do those shots... i like a daylight or 6500K bulb lite from underneath with parchment to diffuse the light. i'll gently heat the rock into a puddle on the paper using a heat gun @ 120F. once the oil is all liquid i heat from underneath to cause it to slowly boil & bubble but not smoke. if i don't like the way it looks for a photo, i'll let it cool for a minute, warm the surface so it has no bubbles again, then heat underneith. when it makes a bubble pattern i like, let it cool to harden & i get the light under it to snap a few shots. i'm going to do some shots of it as a solid chip with no bubbles, then into a bubble-less puddle, and then some shots of the same oil with the bubbles. stay tuned.

i was told recently that some folks would rather see a boring old bubble-less chip of oil...so here she is
Damn Near Bubble-less Puddle

25%Burmese Kush, 75% Silver Blue
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

To get the bubble shots, I heat it with a heat gun @120F from underneath the paper. Sometimes I'll even fold it over on it's self to create air bubbles.

picture.php

picture.php

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
How would air bubbles rise from heating or folding? Where would that many air bubbles even come from, I understand you can create pockets for air with uneven folding of the oil, but this will only leave an air bubble where the uneven folding happened. When that many bubbles still rise with heat and a bit of folding, you got alot of solvent in there. You should look into getting a SS or aluminum degassing chamber, purging at a constant temp with out having to kill the vac to re-heat gives you a much more thorough purge. If you want a link to where I got mine just PM me.

Once again very nice clear big pictures TNG. If you think bubbleless pictures are boring, I having a feeling jumps art over in the AA thread might change your mind. :)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The nature of the bubble, is a clue to its origin. As a rule of thumb, solvent bubbles are larger and multi sized, while decarboxylation CO2 bubbles are small, fizzy, and evenly sized.

Ostensibly, given their percentage, and azeotropic relationship with the cannabinoids, the terpenes would produce very small bubbles as well. I'm sorry to say that I haven't identified them coming off amidst everything else.

The best way that I have found to get bubble free oil, is heat above 115F and a hard -29.9 hg vacuum.

Here is a picture of raw oleoresin heated to 115F under -29-9"hg. Not as purdy as what Jump presents, but it gives an indication.

The holes, are not bubbles, but pick marks from daubbers and the shaved off part went into e-pen cartridges.

Attachments

• Vacuum purged at 29 hg & 115F-1-1.jpg
    Vacuum purged at 29 hg & 115F-1-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8
Do you ever use your oil in ecigs?

I've never tried one. i hear mixed reviews so I've avoided spending $75-$125 on something I'm not sure I would like. I've heard their is a lot of messing around holding the button 20 seconds to "warm it" and adjusting your breathing so it hits right.

i do like the portability they seem to provide.

If you think bubbleless pictures are boring, I having a feeling jumps art over in the AA thread might change your mind.
smile.gif

thanks for the tip... i'm on page 2 now

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never tried one. i hear mixed reviews so I've avoided spending $75-$125 on something I'm not sure I would like. I've heard their is a lot of messing around holding the button 20 seconds to "warm it" and adjusting your breathing so it hits right.

i do like the portability they seem to provide.

I wouldn't be interested at those prices either, but we are into our test rigs, assembled from parts purchased online, under $35 and they definitely work. Heat up time is less than five seconds with our battery pack and cartridge selections.

They do not work as well over all as a nail or skillet, because the vapor content changes with use, due to depletion of the lighter fractions.

However, from my perspective they have portability and image charms and attributes in public, that the nails and skillets do not, and most definitely have a place in my own personal cannabis tool kit.

LOL :laughing:, yeah... torch and a rig in public wouldn't mesh well. I can imagine what people would think if they saw me firing up my dry rig. Ya Heat the little glass lip and dab to that. This is about as portable as I get At The Moment.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

They would probably think i was a junkie burning down some hard dope :D Funny thing is, most of the glass oil rigs we buy are beyond the budget of a dope fiend.

The nature of the bubble, is a clue to its origin. As a rule of thumb, solvent bubbles are larger and multi sized, while decarboxylation CO2 bubbles are small, fizzy, and evenly sized.

Ostensibly, given their percentage, and azeotropic relationship with the cannabinoids, the terpenes would produce very small bubbles as well.
good to know. thanks for passing this info along. the $35 DIY e pen.... is that info located in the "omichron we've been duped" thread? i'de be interested in building one for that price. last vape i had, was a hot box that i bought on ebay for $35.... thing lasted 3 years, so i don't mind spending that much on something i might like. i can spare 35 to try it lol.