What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, we turned off the radios around unshielded and grounded blasting caps too. I certainly would not want to be playing with them in most urban settings.

Without going back and finding the context of my answer, I'm not sure where this is headed, but all of the above electrical devices are potential ignition sources at the right fuel air mixture.

I live in a house built in 1927, so it's garage is separate from the house and doesn't have any of those modern nuances, having only lights and convenience outlets. It does have a breaker box though, so if something tripped, there would be a potential ignition source.

New to the forum--looks like a lot of great people and information here. :D

This topic is very interesting.

I had never worried about cell phones and I'm not sure that I will in the future.

Because of circumstances in my area, we spray indoors in a vacant mobile home.

Typically spraying for 2 days, pretty much all day, with around 500 cans of butane in the room.

I unplug the window A/C unit and we do not smoke.

Our reservoir sits on portable electric grill that we have plugged into power.

A heat gun is also plugged in--both the heat gun and the grill are inches away from the columns and reservoir.

Often, a vacuum pump is in the same room (15ft away) but doesn't get used much during spray times.

I feel we have a very safe setup and couldn't imagine an explosion.

Been making BHO for 8 years indoors now (often in impulse locations) and never had any issues.

Currently getting 1 1/2 lbs oil out of two day run. There are only two of us involved in the whole process aside from when Mrs. Waterpumpee is available to help out so it's a shit-ton of work...a shit ton.

Do you guys have any tips for how I could do this any safer?

Running the vac can be eliminated but I can't imagine not using the grill or heat gun as it would surely take a week to run waiting on all that evaporation; I can't think of a practical way to provide a hot water bath or any other non-electric/non-sparking method.

I am not religious, but good god. I have one tip and that is stop everything and never touch a can of butane again.

edit: please.

sodalitas

GW, thank you for taking the time to type out this thread.
More importantly thank you for keeping it on track, ugh.

May you continue to feel a need to disseminate information on this subject in its various nuances, ad infinitum.
(I find your effort highly valuable, dude.)
(Or in this case, IN-valuable I guess, lol.)
Seriously, it's obvious in retrospect, but I hadn't thought of the griddle plate light, so thank you IMMENSELY for that insight, PRE immolation!

/Rant ON:
Damn, people who like to dab, just like to dab.
Just like the people who like CWE, like CWE.
Why not just post in another thread?
(I mean why take the time to type out something that's basically just... nah, nevermind.)
(Wastes your time and annoys the...)
/Rant off

Thank you again, GW.

JointOperation

most growers have no clue about anything related to SOLVENTS. or anything.. this is why alot of growers are blowing themselves up.. thinking they are fuckin scientists lol.. its not hard to make bho.. you just need to stay focused on making sure there is nothing around that could even possibly cause a spark.

jump /injack

Veteran
"most growers have no clue about anything related to SOLVENTS. or anything.. this is why a lot of growers are blowing themselves up.. thinking they are fuckin scientists lol.. its not hard to make bho.. you just need to stay focused on making sure there is nothing around that could even possibly cause a spark."

The number one rule is NEVER extract inside where butane can pool. With walls you've made a bomb waiting to explode and the heat from that explosion will be over 3000 degrees and thats enough to melt steel or your eyes and body fat. There has been no explosions or fires with closed systems which cost about $2000, much less than the $6,000 to $10,000 per day in a burn ward. If you extract with butane spend the $2000, its cheap compared to burns, pain and jail.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We built our first one to cover the oil needs of four of us, plus the donated material for our cancer program. If you split the cost several ways, the bite is lighter and the payback faster with higher volume. We paid for our DIY in less than a year.

710Man

Hey Gray Wolf, New to the site but I have a question regarding my current setup.

I have been doing runs for quite some time, I do them outdoors whenever possible but unfortunately there are times when it is impossible to do so. That being said, I wanted to explain my setup and see what you think. As a disclaimer I would consider myself an experienced blaster. I setup the blast station inside of my kitchen, next to an open door, with a plastic fan blowing air directly out of the door. I only use about three cans per run inside, and i do use 300/325 ml cans. The only things I have plugged in at the time of blast are the fan, and the refrigerator. The refrigerator is close to the door however, and the door blocks the Fridge when it is open. I have done many runs this way and I was wondering if you see any reason to stop. I have read a lot about compressors in regrigerators, I just don't know if I'm using enough butane for concern. Any thoughts?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Gray Wolf, New to the site but I have a question regarding my current setup.

I have been doing runs for quite some time, I do them outdoors whenever possible but unfortunately there are times when it is impossible to do so. That being said, I wanted to explain my setup and see what you think. As a disclaimer I would consider myself an experienced blaster. I setup the blast station inside of my kitchen, next to an open door, with a plastic fan blowing air directly out of the door. I only use about three cans per run inside, and i do use 300/325 ml cans. The only things I have plugged in at the time of blast are the fan, and the refrigerator. The refrigerator is close to the door however, and the door blocks the Fridge when it is open. I have done many runs this way and I was wondering if you see any reason to stop. I have read a lot about compressors in regrigerators, I just don't know if I'm using enough butane for concern. Any thoughts?

Stop immediately, you don't have the foresight...

Attachments

• user9743_pic1243834_1398876919.jpg
    user9743_pic1243834_1398876919.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

710Man

Stop immediately, you don't have the foresight...

Thanks I figured I would get bashed for coming to the "pros" for tips. I wish people would read when i stated i do most runs outdoors. All I was asking is IF we all can understand how butane is heavier than air and pools, then we can all understand that ventilation can eliminate that pool. I blast using a SS screen with hose clamp when I use a tube, literally right next to the door with the Fridge unplugged, and the fan blowing directly out. Obviously there is a risk for blasting indoors, but I was trying to analyze the risk factor. To be completely honest SkyHighLer you have not a clue about me, so if all you're offering is an opinion like that why waste your time?

710Man

Thanks I figured I would get bashed for coming to the "pros" for tips. I wish people would read when i stated i do most runs outdoors. All I was asking is IF we all can understand how butane is heavier than air and pools, then we can all understand that ventilation can eliminate that pool. I blast using a SS screen with hose clamp when I use a tube, literally right next to the door with the Fridge unplugged, and the fan blowing directly out. Obviously there is a risk for blasting indoors, but I was trying to analyze the risk factor. To be completely honest SkyHighLer you have not a clue about me, so if all you're offering is an opinion like that why waste your time?

I want to correct myself, the Fridge was plugged in during my recent blasts. Will unplugging it eliminate the potential spark of the compressor?

Pangea

Veteran
If you want to really correct your self you will stop immediately, otherwise its not if but when we'll be reading about you in the thread below this one titled BHO disasters.

Don't get offended by the curt responses, you're literally playing russian roulette with explosives. People tend to respond strongly against such insane actions.

710Man

If you want to really correct your self you will stop immediately, otherwise its not if but when we'll be reading about you in the thread below this one titled BHO disasters.

Don't get offended by the curt responses, you're literally playing russian roulette with explosives. People tend to respond strongly against such insane actions.

I appreciate your response, and I have no qualms stopping indoors as it's not something I need to do, nor want to destroy my house with.

Pangea

Veteran
Good stuff, the first post has some gold that can be often over looked. Even static electricity from your clothes can ignite butane laden air!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I want to correct myself, the Fridge was plugged in during my recent blasts. Will unplugging it eliminate the potential spark of the compressor?

Your just not ahead of what if, what if, what if something goes wrong...

So you dropped your extraction tube into the evaporating dish which shatters and now you have a heck of a lot of butane vapor pooled low across the floor, how far back into the house is it going to spread before the fan catches up? Or the power goes out, and the butane builds up, got contingency plans??

Most of the old timers here have done the thinking for what it would take to run relatively safely indoors, but we don't promote, or even discuss it much, just because we don't care to have BHOtards risking theirs and others future over it.

Terpp

I remember meeting a gentleman at the SF cup still in bandages around his arms and some around his face.

When I asked him if he was blasting indoors he said: "No, but apparently in the doorway isn't outside either."

Open blasting is very dangerous. If you are going to do it, you will need proper ventilation to blow the gas away from your head.

Always. Always. Open blast outdoors. Never any exception.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Solly bro! I don't condone blasting in doors in a residence, under any circumstances. I only condone blasting indoors in a commercial application, where the extraction room meets NEMA 7 Div II requirements, as well as being static free, and ventilated to keep any leakage below 1.4% concentration.

Even though you can often get away with it, one mistake is extremely costly, and a residence exposes other inhabitants, as well as the neighbors.

If you check the sticky on explosions, you will find at least one where a refrigerator was the ignition source.

JointOperation

i dont get it.. is dieing.. having your face and upper body melted really worth the few dabs?

the people who blow themselves up.. are ruining it for everyone thats doing it responsibly

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
710 man, thanx for posting your question here for all to see. I was reading through your post and noticed You don't have any gas detectors?

They are pretty cheap and even the stores like home depot are carryin them.around my parts.

Read the threads here and you learn alot. There are a good amount of experienced ea here..

I have met two people who were not savvy enough to "blast" outside and they did in fact blow up and receive 3rd degree burn over their entire body. Their situation was much more ventilated than yours.

My friend was blasting in his kitchen and though it was fine, ovens, toasters, heat registers going to the basement where two growrooms were, it was an accident waiting to happen. I simply told them " I will have alot more respect for you if you do this outside" (they didn't have nearby neighbors) I am gonna say the same thing to you,

" I will have alot more respect for you if you do this outside" but even that doesn't mean its safe, there's a link here somewhere about a blaster who was outside and he had an explosion, his elderly neighbor was also outside and fell from the blast, broke their hip, and died in the hospital not to long afterwords.....that is an extremely unfortunate situation.

What if something goes wrong....goes wrong.....goes wrong.... Who lives with you, who lives next door? What are the legal ramifications if you have an unfortunate accident? 50k on bail if you are in Cali.

Be safe, be smart, be aware.