What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

In regards to paint booth here's some info from private inspector/engineer company, I am not associated with tem just a copy and paste from their site

I’ve heard that using a paint mixing booth or a paint spray booth is the easiest way to create an approved extraction room. Is that true?

Not necessarily. This option may be viable if all of the appropriate criteria are met. Possible issues could include: the ventilation exhaust ports are not located within 12” of the floor; electrical outlets may need to be added or modified, and/or structure does not provide a 1 hour fire barrier. Typically, the exhaust fans provided with a spray booth or mixing booth are capable of producing air flow between 4,000 and 13,000 cubic feet per minute. Per the IFC, the required flow rate in a large paint booth (350 square feet) would be no more than 350 cubic feet per minute. The energy cost required to run the supplied exhaust fans may be cost prohibitive in the long term.

This is just saying you need to think of the whole area and install things correctly.

The booth alone is not enough but it is a GREAT start. It gives a defensive place to contain a fire before it grows. Adding a fire suppression system is really easy to a booth. Everything has to be installed per NFPA and UL standards.

That info about blower sizing is WAY off.

You take the opening of the filter bank/opening/ door and multiply that by 100. (For the old and easy way to do it). The new way requires lots of testing equipment and crazy math. The old way works close enough to still use.

A small walk in booth with a 10' x 8' filter bank would require 8000 cfm blower.

Not only do you size the blower but you also test the air flow to make sure you have the min amount of air moving fast enough through the booth.

I think the last small booth I installed used a ½ HP motor on the blower. That is not a huge energy hog. The heat lose when the blower is running is also an issue. Will you need an air make up unit? Will the make air need to be heated? Energy costs are just part of it if you need proper ventilation. Running extractions does NEED ventilation so you will have to do one way or the other and any will take energy. A spray booth is just a cheap and easy way to start building an area.

Can you link this engineering site?

thinking about storage of my R600 tanks and am uneasy with the heat of the out buildings in consideration. Would a lined hole in the ground, similar to a wine celar idea, be dangerous?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Should work, with the ground staying a constant temperature, but a hole in the ground will collect any leaking gases, so I would also use an HC detector.

Old Gold

For the love of God can every one read through this thread one more time. . . .
Lives have been saved. Nobody was hurt.
Stay safe and don't be stupid.

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$18 gets you a LPG detector, I just placed one of these on the floor of my solvent storage space,

ARIKON Plug-In Combustible Gas Detector Alarm Sensor with Voice Warning, Digital Display

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JS4AX4Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works nicely, I'm ordering another for my extraction space even though it's force ventilated.

Still looking for an inexpensive continuous duty version of this detector for the fridge, I never place flammable solvents in the fridge/freezer that aren't sealed tightly, but in case something totally unexpected occurs like a plastic cap cracking it would be well worth the hassle.

COMBUSTIBLE GAS LEAK DETECTOR
(Comes with 30 Day Limited warranty)

Product Description
Mastercool hand-held combustible gas leak detectors offers the most advanced sensor technology with a state-of-the-art microprocessor. These units detect leaks fast and accurately. The flexible 15” probe has a bright LED light built into the tip for easy viewing in hard to reach locations. The membrane switch panel offers easy one touch control and operation. Each of the six levels of sensitivity has an audible alarm and visual indicator to identify leak activity. These units include the newest rechargeable Ni-MH battery (nearly double the power of existing Ni-Cad batteries) and comes in a custom molded case. (patent# 6,647,761)

DETECTS: Acetone, Acetylene, Ammonia, Benzene, Butane, Butanol, Chlorine, Ethane, Ethanol, Gasoline, Hexane, Hydrogen, Hydrogen Sulfide, Isobutane, Methane (natural gas), Methanol, Methyl Acetate, Methyl Chloride, Methyl Ether, Naptha, N-Butane, Pentane, Propane, Propanol, Sulfer Dioxide and Trichloroethane

FEATURES:
Six Sensitivity Levels
Automatic Warm Up
Audible Leak Alarm & Visual Leak Size Indicator
Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery
Low Battery Indicator
Made in USA
Bright LED Light
Reset Function

SPECIFICATIONS:
Operating Temp: 32º to 125ºF
Power Supply: 2 C-Size 1.5V Ni-MH Battery
Battery Life: 8 hrs per cycle (1000 cycles)
Warm-Up Time: 25 Seconds
Ultimate Sensitivity: 50 – 1000 ppm
Probe/Core Length: 15”
Dimension: 7” x 7”
Weight: 1.10 lbs
55750: Combustible Gas Leak Detector with 110V Battery Charger

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/leak-detector.html

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/product-safety.html

EXTRACTOR WARNING

DO NOT OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL.

BY PURCHASING/ OPERATING THIS EQUIPMENT, YOU, AS THE OPERATOR AND CONSUMER, ARE ASSUMING ALL RISK AND LIABILITY THAT ARE ASSOCAITED WITH OPERATING THE EQUIPMENT.

FAILURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAN RESULT IN HAZARDOUS CONSEQUENCES, SUCH AS PHYSICAL INJURY TO SELF OR OTHERS, DAMAGE TO SURROUNDING PROPERTY, FIRE, ETC.DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT INDOORS OR IN AREAS WITH LOW FRESH AIR FLOW.

Extractor Disclaimer:

All extractors are tested under a vacuum and at pressure prior to shipping. Upon delivery and before EVERY use, the customer must pull a full vacuum and pressurize the system to 90PSI with inert gas prior to operation to ensure assembly is correct and that the unit is functioning. Failure to do so could result in potential solvent leaks, injury, or even death. We are not responsible for failure to test the unit prior to operation.

If a leak is detected after following these guidelines, depressurize the system and inspect the area of the leak for any problems with seals or defects/damage to equipment. Once problem has been identified and resolved, pressurize the system and check for leaks again.

If the problem CANNOT be resolved, do not use the system annd please contact Best Value Vacs immediately at (800) 562-7471 or (331) 281-0154, M-F, 9-5 (CST).

WARNING!!!

Contents may be under positive pressure before, during, and even after operation has been complete. NEVER open or disassemble equipment without ensuring that ALL valves are open to relieve any residual pressure. Even if a gauge indicates that the pressure is zero, please ensure that all valves are 100% open before disassembly.

Extractor General Guidelines

Be sure to have a safe and organized work environment, free of obstacles and possible hazards, in an open, well-ventilated area. NEVER operate any form of extractor, including open blast, closed column, or closed lopp systems, in a confined space, indoors, or in areas with minimal flow of fresh air. NEVER operate extraction equipment near electrical sources: including outlets, pumps, lights, or heaters.

Prior to operation, ensure that you and the extractor are grounded. Static electricity can result in a potentially dangerous situation. Be sure to take extra precaution during winter months and in dry climates where static electricity has a greater potential to occur. Our tripod and quad-pod design can facilitate improving safety/ grounding.

Prior to operation, please take the necessary safety precautions by wearing safety goggles, a face shield, gloves, protective clothing, and a respirator.

ALWAYS inspect steel components for any potential structural issues. Be sure to inspect all sight glasses/ viewing ports for stress fractures, chips, scratches, and deterioration. Inspect all clamps for thread stripping or stretching. If any of these issues are found, DO NOT USE and contact the manufacturer immediately. If you need to contact the manufacturer, please have the product description available in order for the customer service representative to assist you.

During assembly and disassembly, ensure that all components are directed away from your face and other extremities. ALWAYS pay special attention to the gauges on the system; NEVER assemble or disassemble components while under vacuum or pressure.

NEVER place extractor tubes or Butane tanks containing any form of solvent near exposed wiring, non-insulated motors (non-explosion proof/sparking motors), open flames, or in the refrigerator/freezer. Please be sure to use static dissipative equipment. Failing to follow these instructions may result in a potential explosion.

Never bring concentrates or extracts indoors until the vacuum purging of the solvent has been completed. Never place extracts in purging vessels until all liquid solvents, such as butane, alcohol, and propane, have outgassed into the atmosphere (outdoors). Failing to do so could result in personal injury and property damage.

sdd420

Veteran
Rosin is a lot safer to make and tastes better. There's no reason to buy all that butane anymore . And no residues or contaminants just pure rosin. After initial cost for press its all free! Peace

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rosin is ok, it's a full melt, but not a super melt, it leaves deposits on your nail, and probably on your lungs. Dissolve your rosin in solvent and pass it through 2.5 micron filter paper like I do with all my extractions and you'll notice a difference.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mayhaps a good time to bump this thread with a little math to demonstrate how a measly 300ml can of butane flattens houses when extracting indoors.

Assume:

A gallon of liquid butane will produce about 30.81 ft3 of vapor, which has a Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) of 1.86%, and produces a fireball at about 1970C/3578F.

Charles' Law says volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature Kelvin= V1/T1=V2/T2=V3/T3

Therefore:

300ml=0.0792516 gallons liquid butane

0.0792515 gal X 30.81ft3= 2.44 ft3 vapor

2.44ft3/.0186= 131.28 ft3 air/vapor mixture

2243K/291K=7.7X

131.28 X 7.7=1011 ft3

That expansion at ignition happens in the blink of an eye and the heated gases push anything preventing it from expanding out of its way, which is how walls get flattened and roofs get blown off.

The 1970C/3578F/2243K fire ball is also hot enough to melt steel, and cook flesh.

Attachments

• Burned arm-1-1.jpg
    Burned arm-1-1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Burnt legs-1-1.jpg
    Burnt legs-1-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 44

Dirt Bag

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/product-safety.html

EXTRACTOR WARNING

DO NOT OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL.

BY PURCHASING/ OPERATING THIS EQUIPMENT, YOU, AS THE OPERATOR AND CONSUMER, ARE ASSUMING ALL RISK AND LIABILITY THAT ARE ASSOCAITED WITH OPERATING THE EQUIPMENT.

FAILURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAN RESULT IN HAZARDOUS CONSEQUENCES, SUCH AS PHYSICAL INJURY TO SELF OR OTHERS, DAMAGE TO SURROUNDING PROPERTY, FIRE, ETC.DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT INDOORS OR IN AREAS WITH LOW FRESH AIR FLOW.

Extractor Disclaimer:

All extractors are tested under a vacuum and at pressure prior to shipping. Upon delivery and before EVERY use, the customer must pull a full vacuum and pressurize the system to 90PSI with inert gas prior to operation to ensure assembly is correct and that the unit is functioning. Failure to do so could result in potential solvent leaks, injury, or even death. We are not responsible for failure to test the unit prior to operation.

If a leak is detected after following these guidelines, depressurize the system and inspect the area of the leak for any problems with seals or defects/damage to equipment. Once problem has been identified and resolved, pressurize the system and check for leaks again.

If the problem CANNOT be resolved, do not use the system annd please contact Best Value Vacs immediately at (800) 562-7471 or (331) 281-0154, M-F, 9-5 (CST).

WARNING!!!

Contents may be under positive pressure before, during, and even after operation has been complete. NEVER open or disassemble equipment without ensuring that ALL valves are open to relieve any residual pressure. Even if a gauge indicates that the pressure is zero, please ensure that all valves are 100% open before disassembly.

Extractor General Guidelines

Be sure to have a safe and organized work environment, free of obstacles and possible hazards, in an open, well-ventilated area. NEVER operate any form of extractor, including open blast, closed column, or closed lopp systems, in a confined space, indoors, or in areas with minimal flow of fresh air. NEVER operate extraction equipment near electrical sources: including outlets, pumps, lights, or heaters.

Prior to operation, ensure that you and the extractor are grounded. Static electricity can result in a potentially dangerous situation. Be sure to take extra precaution during winter months and in dry climates where static electricity has a greater potential to occur. Our tripod and quad-pod design can facilitate improving safety/ grounding.

Prior to operation, please take the necessary safety precautions by wearing safety goggles, a face shield, gloves, protective clothing, and a respirator.

ALWAYS inspect steel components for any potential structural issues. Be sure to inspect all sight glasses/ viewing ports for stress fractures, chips, scratches, and deterioration. Inspect all clamps for thread stripping or stretching. If any of these issues are found, DO NOT USE and contact the manufacturer immediately. If you need to contact the manufacturer, please have the product description available in order for the customer service representative to assist you.

During assembly and disassembly, ensure that all components are directed away from your face and other extremities. ALWAYS pay special attention to the gauges on the system; NEVER assemble or disassemble components while under vacuum or pressure.

NEVER place extractor tubes or Butane tanks containing any form of solvent near exposed wiring, non-insulated motors (non-explosion proof/sparking motors), open flames, or in the refrigerator/freezer. Please be sure to use static dissipative equipment. Failing to follow these instructions may result in a potential explosion.

Never bring concentrates or extracts indoors until the vacuum purging of the solvent has been completed. Never place extracts in purging vessels until all liquid solvents, such as butane, alcohol, and propane, have outgassed into the atmosphere (outdoors). Failing to do so could result in personal injury and property damage.

Of course I am all for safety and am a believer in rules, but I am also a fierce opponent of bureaucracy and Gregorianism.
So what possible reason would you have for not putting butane tanks in the refrigerator / freezer?
The only issue would be a tank leak, but this is in no way associated with being in the refrigerator. Leaking butane wouldn't be advisable anywhere.

Starwarrior

fire is not a toy. yesterday I was almost burned and almost burned my flat. I worked with hexane. It looks liquid and safe but this bastard is dangerous like butane. Don't believe this liquid bastard! Luckily I had extinguisher in another room. I only burned my hand a little and I need maintenance in the kitchen.

troutman

Seed Whore
fire is not a toy. yesterday I was almost burned and almost burned my flat. I worked with hexane. It looks liquid and safe but this bastard is dangerous like butane. Don't believe this liquid bastard! Luckily I had extinguisher in another room. I only burned my hand a little and I need maintenance in the kitchen.

If you treat hexane like gasoline you'll be prepared for the worst I think. The 1st time I used hexane I actually poured a
few tablespoons into a steel fireproof container in a safe location and thru a match it it to examine how flammable it is.
By seeing the flame 1st hand I learned how active it burns. Firemen also do chemical burning tests so they can learn
what to expect. Don't do extractions on wooden or carpeted floors helps avoid fires also.

Learn about the properties of your chemicals and play safe.

Latest posts

Latest posts