What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

JointOperation

problem being.. everyone thinks its gotta be safe. i saw a youtube video online he did it inside.. lol.

nope. dumb dumb dumb.. id rather do it outside.. and kill myself.. then harm anyone else.. or destroy a home..

i even use door handle security things.. that u place infront of the door.. and it allows someone to move the handle but not open the door.. i do that to ensure no1 walks out while im doing my work.

lol i try to make it so .. if anyone comes over unannounced.. that no1 gets hurt..

Calimed

Veteran
From SFGate:

920x920.jpg

An explosion ripped through a Walnut Creek apartment building Friday morning, critically burning two people and forcing the evacuation of 50.
The explosion, which occurred around 10 a.m., was centered in the top unit of a four-unit complex on the 1500 block of Sunnyvale Avenue, two blocks west of Interstate 680.
The blast blew out the walls and roof of the top unit, severely damaged the other units and shattered windows on buildings up to 200 feet away.
At noon, firefighters were still dousing hot spots and said the wreckage might contain a third victim, but the building was not yet safe for rescuers to enter.
Pacific Gas and Electric Co. crews were on site, but said they had not received reports of gas leaks, said Capt. Kent Kirby of the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District. Reports that the fire was caused by a drug lab are unconfirmed, Kirby said.
Neighbors described the explosion as extremely loud and followed by a quick series of smaller blasts.
“I thought it was thunder at first,”said Carol Olson, 55, who lives across the street. “At first I was excited, but then my grandson said someone ran out of the building and his hand was gone.”
The Walnut Creek United Methodist Church, across the street from the damaged building, offered coffee and a place to gather for the 50 or so evacuees.
The American Red Cross was also on hand to help those affected.
A dozen or so people milled in the church meeting room, and a few dozen others waited on the sidewalk to survey the damage. The building was blocked off with yellow caution tape, but witnesses could see smoke still rising from the exposed timbers of the damaged building.
The street is lined with 1960s-style apartment buildings and is usually very quiet, neighbors said.
One woman, who appeared very shaken and was standing on the sidewalk with a family member, said she was cooking in her apartment in a building nextdoor when the explosion occurred.
“I thought it was an earthquake,” said the woman, who declined to give her name. “It was very loud. I was scared. My son’s bedroom window was broken. I turned off the gas and ran into the street, and all my neighbors were outside ...I was very scared.”

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
“I thought it was thunder at first,”said Carol Olson, 55, who lives across the street. “At first I was excited, but then my grandson said someone ran out of the building and his hand was gone.”
.”

dang that's no bueno

HeLLMuTT

From SFGate:

View Image

An explosion ripped through a Walnut Creek apartment building Friday morning, critically burning two people and forcing the evacuation of 50.
The explosion, which occurred around 10 a.m., was centered in the top unit of a four-unit complex on the 1500 block of Sunnyvale Avenue, two blocks west of Interstate 680.
The blast blew out the walls and roof of the top unit, severely damaged the other units and shattered windows on buildings up to 200 feet away.
At noon, firefighters were still dousing hot spots and said the wreckage might contain a third victim, but the building was not yet safe for rescuers to enter.
Pacific Gas and Electric Co. crews were on site, but said they had not received reports of gas leaks, said Capt. Kent Kirby of the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District. Reports that the fire was caused by a drug lab are unconfirmed, Kirby said.
Neighbors described the explosion as extremely loud and followed by a quick series of smaller blasts.
The Walnut Creek United Methodist Church, across the street from the damaged building, offered coffee and a place to gather for the 50 or so evacuees.
The American Red Cross was also on hand to help those affected.
A dozen or so people milled in the church meeting room, and a few dozen others waited on the sidewalk to survey the damage. The building was blocked off with yellow caution tape, but witnesses could see smoke still rising from the exposed timbers of the damaged building.
The street is lined with 1960s-style apartment buildings and is usually very quiet, neighbors said.
One woman, who appeared very shaken and was standing on the sidewalk with a family member, said she was cooking in her apartment in a building nextdoor when the explosion occurred.
“I thought it was an earthquake,” said the woman, who declined to give her name. “It was very loud. I was scared. My son’s bedroom window was broken. I turned off the gas and ran into the street, and all my neighbors were outside ...I was very scared.”

So fucking sad. Ones hand is gone and full body is completely on fire walking around in shock. The other bleeding from all over the face while his head and upper body is on fire... Both SCREAMING while kids and neighbors watch and try to put them out in horror. This shit happens more and more. Both kids are in Critical condition with terrible burns and other injuries.

Don't do this indoors no matter what. 13 years and I have never even thought of it... Never.

We had a lot of this in the bay area the last couple months. Some in Santa Cruz and a couple here in San Jose.

Erks me mainly because I think bho is a great form of medicine that get a horrific schtick laden with disdain and ego...

Takes a lot away from people who responsibly make it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Takes a lot away from people who responsibly make it.

This is exactly the sort of thing that paints us all with the same brush and will get hydrocarbon extraction banned more places than CA.

JointOperation

yup.. especially wen they are blowing up apartments.. if your going to do this indoors.. do it in a place were only you will end up fucked please.. if you really feel the need to do this indoors.. do it were if it explodes.. u only are fucked.. not neighbors.. and other people in the building.. and pets and shit.. come the fuck on..

this is what happens when people are greedy fucks.. and grow a bunch of garbage and turn it into oil. inside of a 4 family fucking apartment lol .

seriously. people need to GROW THE FUCK UP

Extracts keep being proven to have way more medical benefits then flowers could ever have.. people getting off 1000s of mgs of oxys.. with extracts..

this is a life saving medicine.. we shouldnt be risking our lives to make it.. if you dont know what the fuck your doing.. DONT DO IT. have someone who knows what there doing make it for you and split it.. or you run the risk of doing this to yourself. and looking like a war vet.. and the only war you have been in was with a tank or cans of butane . its sad.. but this only destroys the community.. and makes people think EVERYONE USING AND OR MAKING EXTRACTS are putting others in danger..

sad shit. please guys.. read up for a while before doing a bho extraction. please.. if you have questions ask em.. if you need to ask questions.. you prolly shouldnt be running bho yet.. lol . i would rather see people alive using this medicine. then making it. n killing people. or themselves.

M

mr.shiva

Damn, those walnut creek pics are insane. When insurance companies have to pay for shit like that you can bet it won't be legal anywhere for long! We had a valve fail a couple weeks ago, I saw the aftermath from not wearing gloves, gnarly bloody frostbite gash from the 50psi of butane his hand was in the way of, thought he might need to go to the er it was that that gnarled'.

Just moving from small open blasting to a large closed loop system and would greatly appreciate some advise. I'm trying to determine if I can safely set up a closed loop extraction system (Dabzpro's Dominator with a 4"x72" material chamber, approx 8 lbs of material per run) in my detached garage. The shop is 12'x25'x8' ceilings. I was planning on dividing off an area of 8'x8' in the back corner for the extraction operation. There would be a 8"centrifugal duct fan mounted outside the space exhausting air from floor level to outside the building, with the rooms inlet air coming from the opposite wall at ceiling height, there would be a large portable plastic floor fan (a standard household box fan) blowing directly at the extractor to dilute and mix the air.

The only explosion source in the building would be a chest freezer set up in the other part of the garage on a 2' raised platform. This freezer would be full of freezing water and plumbed to the cooling reservoir of the extractors reclaim tank, exchanging cold water through the use of a water pump and gravity fed return. Would this be safe??

Thanks for any feed back, your time, and consideration!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just moving from small open blasting to a large closed loop system and would greatly appreciate some advise. I'm trying to determine if I can safely set up a closed loop extraction system (Dabzpro's Dominator with a 4"x72" material chamber, approx 8 lbs of material per run) in my detached garage. The shop is 12'x25'x8' ceilings. I was planning on dividing off an area of 8'x8' in the back corner for the extraction operation. There would be a 8"centrifugal duct fan mounted outside the space exhausting air from floor level to outside the building, with the rooms inlet air coming from the opposite wall at ceiling height, there would be a large portable plastic floor fan (a standard household box fan) blowing directly at the extractor to dilute and mix the air.

The only explosion source in the building would be a chest freezer set up in the other part of the garage on a 2' raised platform. This freezer would be full of freezing water and plumbed to the cooling reservoir of the extractors reclaim tank, exchanging cold water through the use of a water pump and gravity fed return. Would this be safe??

Thanks for any feed back, your time, and consideration!

The fire marshal would be unlikely to approve it in a residence, or adjacent to a residence, even with two hour fire rated walls.

The Dabzpro's Dominator lower end does not appear to be an ASME rated container and does appear to hold a significant amount of butane. How much butane do they say it takes to process 8 lbs of material?

As far as a floor level exhaust, with makeup from the opposing wall, that would work. You can also use a push/pull air knife exhaust.

Give some thought as to where the butane ends up, should you have a catastrophic release, and make sure you use an explosion proof fan on a pull system.

What goes if it does blow?

An excellent book on ventilation design, is Industrial Ventilation, a manual of recommended practices, by the American Conference of Governmental Hygienists.

I have an ancient 17th addition from 1982, so I won't try to pass on page numbers, but the book is the bible for ventilation design.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is part of what the fire marshal will be considering, when reviewing a permit request and location suitability.

Consider it from his perspective, of being paid to protect people and property, including his own crews whom have to respond.

Code No Code Name
NFPA 1 Fire Code
NFPA 3 Recommended Practice for Commissioning of Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems
NFPA 4 Standard for Integrated Fire Protection and Life Safety System Testing
NFPA 10 Standard for Portable Fire Extinguishers
NFPA 12 Standard on Carbon Dioxide Extinguishing Systems
NFPA 12A Standard on Halon 1301 Fire Extinguishing Systems
NFPA 13 Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems
NFPA 13 E Recommended Practice for Fire Department Operations in Properties Protected by Sprinkler and Standpipe Systems
NFPA 14 Standard for the Installation of Standpipe and Hose Systems
NFPA 15 Standard for Water Spray Fixed Systems for Fire Protection
NFPA 16 Standard for the Installation of Foam-Water Sprinkler and Foam-Water Spray Systems
NFPA 22 Standard for Water Tanks for Private Fire Protection
NFPA 24 Standard for the Installation of Private Fire Service Mains and Their Appurtenances
NFPA 25 Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
NFPA 30 Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code
NFPA 45 Standard on Fire Protection for Laboratories Using Chemicals
NFPA 55 Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Fluids Code
NFPA 56 Standard for Fire and Explosion Prevention During Cleaning and Purging of Flammable Gas Piping Systems
NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code
NFPA 59A Standard for the Production, Storage, and Handling of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
NFPA 67 Guide on Explosion Protection for Gaseous Mixtures in Pipe Systems
NFPA 69 Standard on Explosion Prevention Systems
NFPA 70 National Electrical Code®
NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace®
NFPA 77 Recommended Practice on Static Electricity
NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery
NFPA 91 Standard for Exhaust Systems for Air Conveying of Vapors, Gases, Mists, and Noncombustible Particulate Solids
NFPA 220 Standard on Types of Building Construction
NFPA 221 Standard for High Challenge Fire Walls, Fire Walls, and Fire Barrier Walls
NFPA 290 Standard for Fire Testing of Passive Protection Materials for Use on LP-Gas Containers
NFPA 329 Recommended Practice for Handling Releases of Flammable and Combustible Liquids and Gases
NFPA 386 Standard for Portable Shipping Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
NFPA 496 Standard for Purged and Pressurized Enclosures for Electrical Equipment
NFPA 497 Recommended Practice for the Classification of Flammable Liquids, Gases, or Vapors and of Hazardous (Classified) Locations for Electrical Installations in Chemical Process Areas
NFPA 791 Recommended Practice and Procedures for Unlabeled Electrical Equipment Evaluation

The fire marshal would be unlikely to approve it in a residence, or adjacent to a residence, even with two hour fire rated walls.

The Dabzpro's Dominator lower end does not appear to be an ASME rated container and does appear to hold a significant amount of butane. How much butane do they say it takes to process 8 lbs of material?

As far as a floor level exhaust, with makeup from the opposing wall, that would work. You can also use a push/pull air knife exhaust.

Give some thought as to where the butane ends up, should you have a catastrophic release, and make sure you use an explosion proof fan on a pull system.

What goes if it does blow?

An excellent book on ventilation design, is Industrial Ventilation, a manual of recommended practices, by the American Conference of Governmental Hygienists.

I have an ancient 17th addition from 1982, so I won't try to pass on page numbers, but the book is the bible for ventilation design.

Thanks very much GW, your insight and the info you provided and your time, it is greatly appreciated! I have much reading and research to do before I fire her up for the first time. (please forgive the pun, but I don't want to end up a BHOtard!)

I am located in Canada and am having problems finding a supplier for or a proper, small, explosion proof exhaust fan, that is economical to purchase($500max) that would suit my small room (8x8x8). Any ideas on what type/brand of fans and places to source them would be appreciated.

This is all I can find so far,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PENN-FA..._Equipment_Parts&hash=item4d2829b222#shpCntId

Thanks,

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks very much GW, your insight and the info you provided and your time, it is greatly appreciated! I have much reading and research to do before I fire her up for the first time. (please forgive the pun, but I don't want to end up a BHOtard!)

I am located in Canada and am having problems finding a supplier for or a proper, small, explosion proof exhaust fan, that is economical to purchase($500max) that would suit my small room (8x8x8). Any ideas on what type/brand of fans and places to source them would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PENN-FA..._Equipment_Parts&hash=item4d2829b222#shpCntId

Thanks,

Axle flow fans like that are OK in free air, but they won't tolerate any back pressure, so you will need to use a centrifugal fan.

Explosion proof fans are spark proof and the fan section is separate from the motor air stream, plus have totally enclosed fan cooled motors.

Here are some Grainger examples: Seeing what is entailed, you might check local and other less expensive resources.

http://www.grainger.com/category/sp...blowers/hvac-and-refrigeration/ecatalog/N-jpr

Another insightful link: http://www.cincinnatifan.com/centrifugal-fans-blowers.htm

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
I'm trying to determine if I can safely set up a closed loop extraction system (Dabzpro's Dominator with a 4"x72" material chamber, approx 8 lbs of material per run) in my detached garage. The shop is 12'x25'x8' ceilings.

I don't think your 8' ceiling is high enough for a cls with a 6' material tube. What's the total height of the machine?

I don't think your 8' ceiling is high enough for a cls with a 6' material tube. What's the total height of the machine?

I'm not sure of the extractors base height, but it should just fit, at least I hope so. Thats a good question, I will have to confirm with the MFG. I am just now preparing for the extractors arrival later this month.

Thanks,

For industrial use I have worked with Continental Fan to supply explosion proof blowers. Granted this was 10 years ago but at that time they were the cheapest we could find. The quality was top notch. They were very helpful in helping us select the proper set ups. They will ask engineer level questions if you want tech help so you need to be able to have that conversation. From my experience 10 years ago, a quality explosion proof blower that can handle volume and some back pressure costs at least $1,000.

http://www.continentalfan.com/

One source for cheaper used explosion proof blowers is paint spray booths. In fact setting up the extractor in a spray booth would a great idea for safety. Spray booth blowers are normally 16" to 72" axil blowers. As GW stated axil blowers do not deal with back pressure but in spray booth the blower is sized to account for this. They are also pretty loud. Often the cheapest way to get these blowers is to attend industrial auctions. If you are willing to take down a booth you can pick them up really cheap. I have bought 8’x8’x8’ booths with 36” blowers and stacks for $50 each before at auction. It takes two guys about 4 to 8 hours to take down a booth. Used booths this size go for around $1,000 each ready to ship. You can find just the blowers for $200 to $1,000 depending on the size. Check eBay and craigslist for blowers.

To meet fire codes you will need EVERY item with in 20 feet of the extractor work space to be exposion proof. (Based on NFPA standards 10 years ago).

Lefthand

In regards to paint booth here's some info from private inspector/engineer company, I am not associated with tem just a copy and paste from their site

I’ve heard that using a paint mixing booth or a paint spray booth is the easiest way to create an approved extraction room. Is that true?

Not necessarily. This option may be viable if all of the appropriate criteria are met. Possible issues could include: the ventilation exhaust ports are not located within 12” of the floor; electrical outlets may need to be added or modified, and/or structure does not provide a 1 hour fire barrier. Typically, the exhaust fans provided with a spray booth or mixing booth are capable of producing air flow between 4,000 and 13,000 cubic feet per minute. Per the IFC, the required flow rate in a large paint booth (350 square feet) would be no more than 350 cubic feet per minute. The energy cost required to run the supplied exhaust fans may be cost prohibitive in the long term.