What's new

~BHO LOVERS~

JTDuffet

Just wondering if you, or someone, could clear up a few questions for me. I have started to look more into BHO so bear with me here please :) I still have only a basic understanding.

-When you say use cooking oil, unless the temps we are trying to achieve over 212 (which they might be, not sure), why wouldn't you want to just water which has a high specific heat capacity?

-Can you expand in a little more detail on steam producing azeotropic mixtures? I looked up 'azeotropic' and think I get it/see how it relates but ya...

-Lastly, either method sounds like it would be done inside? I thought this was a bad idea: butane + flame/heat + inside = explosion. What about a camping stove outside? lol

Roscharc results: a mother-teresea-like person on the left, a fist (kind of like black power) on the right.

Edit: has anyone tried smoking hash and/or oil out of an oil-burner? (tweak pipe/pizzo) They are great!

its either mother thresa or jesus on the left, and on the right is a hunched over person crying being consoled... i swear its what i see.. :) nice presentations people.. i've never run BHO before, only bubblehash, but i got a harvest coming in a couple weeks and will have plenty of popcorn and trim to run and want to try my hand at some BHO also... i will post pics...

-jt

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just wondering if you, or someone, could clear up a few questions for me. I have started to look more into BHO so bear with me here please :) I still have only a basic understanding.

-When you say use cooking oil, unless the temps we are trying to achieve over 212 (which they might be, not sure), why wouldn't you want to just water which has a high specific heat capacity?

-Can you expand in a little more detail on steam producing azeotropic mixtures? I looked up 'azeotropic' and think I get it/see how it relates but ya...

-Lastly, either method sounds like it would be done inside? I thought this was a bad idea: butane + flame/heat + inside = explosion. What about a camping stove outside? lol

Roscharc results: a mother-teresea-like person on the left, a fist (kind of like black power) on the right.

Edit: has anyone tried smoking hash and/or oil out of an oil-burner? (tweak pipe/pizzo) They are great!

Water will indeed limit your process temperature because, as you know, it boils at 100C/212F. If you also wish to decarboxylate, that is too low a temperature to optimize the process. Search the Decarboxylation threads to get the details.

I use oil regardless of whether I am decarboxylating, because it doesn't boil away, requiring replenishment, which causes variations in the process temperature. I set the temperature of my oil and it stays within a couple of degrees of exactly that way.

It does require more accurate system temperature controls, and the judicious use of a good thermometer, because no controls are accurate enough, but the results justify the extra effort.

Not sure what exactly your question is regarding the azeotropic mixture using butane. Usually that is more of a concern with alcohol extractions and if you have Googled the principle, you know it has to do with things that are soluble with one another, and both butane and cannabis oil are minimally so in water.

Processing butane indoors is an exponentially, bad, bad idea for reasons that have already been addressed, and only fools dare try it, even just to see how long it takes for karma and fate to catch up with them.

That said, I process ethanol on my kitchen range, with the ventilation hood operating.

Because methanol is more explosive, I do those outside in an electric fondue pot as well. I have actually installed a pop up canopy in my rear courtyard, so that I can do so with impunity regardless of weather and prying eyes from neighbor's upper floor windows.

I process Iso both ways during the final boil off, but eschew breathing the vapors, as they are more toxic than ethanol. I do all major evaporations, or boil offs outdoors as well.

A camping stove is an egregiously bad idea, because of the open flame. What is required is something with no flame and no electrical arcing from temperature controls.

If you are using butane, be concerned about static sparks as well, from something as simple as wearing synthetic clothes, including your socks. It especially becomes an issue in cold dry weather.

Might I suggest that you Google the MSDS on all of the aforementioned solvents and familiarize yourself with them? They are all different!

I wish you as much fun as you can stand bro, plus as much extra as your system will tolerate with gusto, but be safe!

Euphoria can turn to horror in a heartbeat, if you don't pay attention to the details when using inflammables!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't mean that it is to be avoided as complicated, only that it can't be treated casually, and that failure to pay attention to the details can suddenly and unexpectedly end up in your own death and dismemberment, or even more serious consequences, involving those around you.

I'm thinking that laughing and scratching is better, especially if you can't wipe the smile from your face, despite your best efforts!

Glad to see you asking questions, instead of becoming a statistic, and someone the rest of us point to as an example of how the gene pool clears itself of those not paying attention to both common knowledge and some of the more important details playing with solvents!

In answer to your question, yes I have tried an oil burner and found that the same black smoke that coats the inside of the pipe seemed to have a similar effect on my lungs.

What I do now, besides sublingually taking my base meds, is vaporize the oil below combustion temperature to achieve the same effect as smoking, with less coughing or wet lung expectoration.

You might search that thread if smoking is your primary source of ingestion.

Have fun, be safe!

GW

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
although the odd butane explosion does happen, the levels it ignites in open air are fairly limited. i actually did my first year or so of extractions inside, in a kitchen, with pots of liquid butane on red hot stove elements, and there was never an ignition. it seems insane in retrospect, but seriously, it was hundreds of extractions, on that red hot electric stove element.

Trichgnomes

So would it be the consensus that a direct flame should not be used in any circumstance whatsoever? I usually do anywhere from 2 to 5 changes of a hot water bath while my dish is outside, and by the time I bring it inside their is very minimal butane left. However this has got me thinking maybe I should just be using an electric burner outside instead of bringing it onto my pilot stove. Hmm...

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think most folks just finish it off on a heating pad/germination mat. That's my approach, good anywhere from an hr. to overnite. ;)

catcherintheye

trich ur chill after 4 or 5 water purges, bring it inside. 4 or 5 hot tap water changes. Some people just stop there. I used to use a heatmat electric blanket and theyre too hot IMO they always killed the flavor in my oil, even on the lowest temp setting.

I totally stopped that. I just use tap water from my bathtub, it gets hottest.about 120 deg which is still too hot for some strains if youre looking to retain their flavor. After 3 or 4 changes of 120 degree tap i allow to cool to about a hundred before changing and you should be solid. Its best to let it sit 24 hours and then scrape its way less harsh for some reason, i personally don't think it has anything to do with residual butane evaporating, but a lot of people think thats it. No matter what i make and how much nicer it is than the last batch, it never looks like roors or jumps = ( lol.

HMK what are you smoking on. just so fuckin curious what it takes to keep your lungs well lubed. Must be quantity and quality.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I usually do anywhere from 2 to 5 changes of a hot water bath while my dish is outside, and by the time I bring it inside their is very minimal butane left. However this has got me thinking maybe I should just be using an electric burner outside instead of bringing it onto my pilot stove. Hmm...

The number of purges appears less important than other factors. I move a BHO extraction from the hot water outside, to the hot oil pot on my stove, after I visually note that there is very little butane left.

It is about the quantity that it takes to produce an explosion!!

A visual thing, but I stop when the liquid pool calms down, though some minor bubbling may still be present.

I whole heartedly do recommend an electric heating element over an open flame, but pass on the caveat to pay cose attention to electrical arching if you are using electrical heating elements.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
So would it be the consensus that a direct flame should not be used in any circumstance whatsoever? I usually do anywhere from 2 to 5 changes of a hot water bath while my dish is outside, and by the time I bring it inside their is very minimal butane left. However this has got me thinking maybe I should just be using an electric burner outside instead of bringing it onto my pilot stove. Hmm...

i dont get it man, all i do is use tap hot water to start, and in about 3 minutes all the butane is evaporated and i bring it inside. i dont get why you need to change the water? after its dry, i put it on the stove element and turn it on for a few seconds every so often, there is no risk then.

catcher, i smoke often ogkush x highend, or sweet skunk. had some mkultra recently, was so so. not going for that anymore. i like a good bubba kush too.

Last edited:

dope_roor

I also just use hot water once, it gets a good majority of the butane out, enough so that it's safe to bring inside for further processing. On occasion I have seen tiny mini flames in my pyrex dish when I was torching, but hardly anything of concern.

Yumm some more angel OG:

IMG_2688Small.jpg

IMG_2689Small.jpg

IMG_2690Small.jpg

IMG_2685Small.jpg

catcherintheye

damnit roor. SHARE. is that the hells angels og kush? never had that variety.

sweet stuff HMK a good bubba kush is my ultimate.

AND IF ANYONES GONA USE A HEAT BLANKET, make a double boiler outta it. IM TELLING YA it nukes ur oils and makes them alll taste the same, just like generic hash oil, at that point you might as well put ur stove on high and double boil it for hours. Also it destroys your beautiful gold colour. it will also autobudder ur shit. or again IME it does.

Just use hot tap water... i change out my hot water because i do not use an element to keep it at a stable temp and find it harder to keep water at a stable temp on an element unless you have a fondue pot of sorts. So by changing it out i keep the same max temp everytime around 120 degree tap.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration and to all those who have helped me:tiphat: I strive to extract like yourselves.

and DOPE would you say that angel og up top is done purging?

Trichgnomes

i dont get it man, all i do is use tap hot water to start, and in about 3 minutes all the butane is evaporated and i bring it inside. i dont get why you need to change the water? after its dry, i put it on the stove element and turn it on for a few seconds every so often, there is no risk then.

catcher, i smoke often ogkush x highend, or sweet skunk. had some mkultra recently, was so so. not going for that anymore. i like a good bubba kush too.

I suppose it does seem unnecessary to do the hot water changes, I'm just a bit apprehensive to bring it inside so quickly, as I do not have an electric stove. This morning when I made some oil, I remembered that I had a table top electric element in the basement. I used that for my purge and the result was interesting. Apparently I had been overheating this current OG oil that I have run 5 or 6 times. It has auto-buddered on every run in the past, which I thought was related to the strain/constituents of it.

This time, half of the pyrex was budder before being scraped, and the other half was shatter. I was able to separate them and took a photo (Not great, but gives you a decent representation. It got imported upside down for some reason)
I wish I took a picture before I scraped it, as it looked pretty cool. Oh well.

My theory is that my surface I purged on was not level, which led to some of the oil being exposed to a higher temperature than the rest.

dope_roor - When you posted the budder/shatter oil ball pyramids, were those of the same run? Or were they two separate extractions?

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
after my initial hot water purge, i will place the pyrex on a seedling mat.
my mat only raises ambient temps by 10-20 degrees F.
if anything, i feel it makes the oil better after an overnight on the mat.

obv, i use "almost" boiling water to heat it up for scraping after the overnight on the mat.
i see no diff w/ taste or smell using this method.

catcherintheye

trich, the half budder half shatter could be due to many things. I wouldnt use a hotplate. A seedling mat sounds perfect to get residuals out overnight if it only raises your room temp 10 to 20 degrees. that sounds reasonable. a heatmat will get to hundred some degree on lowest setting. NO GOOD.

Trich extract outside, float ur extraction dish in another res full of warm tap water wait for the dish to warm up and extract into it. After allll liquid butane is evaped youre fine, Even if your oils are still dancin and purgin theres nowhere near enough gas to do anything. IF ur that worried. Google BLEVE boiling liquid evaporation explosion. IT requires quite alot of collected gas in a closed space. theres abosolutely no chance of anything happening if there is no liquid butane in your dish. I FUCKIN SWEAR. It takes me a couple water changes to purge the tane out at 120 degrees. Afraid to do what HMK does, I always seem to fuck it up that way.

catcherintheye

hey DOPE ive been extracting like urself these past two runs (into a dish that is placed into warm water rather than a dish already submerged) I do about two runs and in the time im refilling my tube water condenses and freezed in my erl. It takes it seems longer to come out that the butane does.

When im hitting it fresh on the plate it has an intense water crackle that scares me, i think it is but i know its not butane for sure. IT just doesnt sound nice. does this happen with ur stuff? When i extract into a warm dish the tane starts purging immediately and it doesnt let it condense and make little ice balls in the butane oil mix while its evaporating, do you notice this at all? IT is just water right? right after hearing it, a buddy of mine gave me some ISO to try and it had that same crackle, obviously no butane is in that, so im pretty sure its just water residuals.

I came home after that and whipped and did a little longer purge and that crackle was gone.

Trichgnomes

trich, the half budder half shatter could be due to many things. I wouldnt use a hotplate. A seedling mat sounds perfect to get residuals out overnight if it only raises your room temp 10 to 20 degrees. that sounds reasonable. a heatmat will get to hundred some degree on lowest setting. NO GOOD.
I may have misrepresented the situation, as I did not put my pyrex straight on a hotplate. I put the frying pan--which contained the dish in a warm water bath-- on an electric burner and purged at a low temp for a brief period.

Trich extract outside, float ur extraction dish in another res full of warm tap water wait for the dish to warm up and extract into it.
This is what I have done every time I have ever made BHO.

I do appreciate your concern, though, and maybe I made myself out to be more paranoid about it then I actually am. I just take my time with the purge, as I have gotten to the point where I still have a chunk of oil left when I do another run, so I'm never really in a hurry to puff it anymore. :)

Oh, and regarding the crackle, that happened to me once or twice. In my case I am positive it was water. It did not condense and fall from my extraction vessel, but rather I foolishly had too much water when carrying it inside and some splashed into my stash. :frown:

The crackling while vaping sounds sketchier than it actually is. It's more unpleasant than anything else.

OsWiZzLe

Pure Iranian Budder One Hitter Shit :dance013:

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 18
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 14
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 19
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 19
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 17
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 19

dope_roor

and DOPE would you say that angel og up top is done purging?

that photo was taken right after I was done purging, the vapor was smooth to dab but still a little "fresh". the next day was much better.

dope_roor - When you posted the budder/shatter oil ball pyramids, were those of the same run? Or were they two separate extractions?

same extraction, same initial purge, slightly different post-purge manipulation

hey DOPE ive been extracting like urself these past two runs (into a dish that is placed into warm water rather than a dish already submerged) I do about two runs and in the time im refilling my tube water condenses and freezed in my erl. It takes it seems longer to come out that the butane does.

When im hitting it fresh on the plate it has an intense water crackle that scares me, i think it is but i know its not butane for sure. IT just doesnt sound nice. does this happen with ur stuff? When i extract into a warm dish the tane starts purging immediately and it doesnt let it condense and make little ice balls in the butane oil mix while its evaporating, do you notice this at all? IT is just water right? right after hearing it, a buddy of mine gave me some ISO to try and it had that same crackle, obviously no butane is in that, so im pretty sure its just water residuals.

I came home after that and whipped and did a little longer purge and that crackle was gone.

i've had the occasional water droplet get into the pyrex dish and it resulted in sizzling oil, but normally it shouldn't.

i spray into a pyrex dish @ room temperature, then place the pyrex dish into a baking pan with hot tap water, i then wait until everything stops bubbling.

just did that in fact, no sizzling here, very floral tasting with a hint of lavender. i don't oil up purple strains too often but was looking for that nice body stone, the oil came out on the darker side but still shattery.

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

i prefer to whip it up a little before dabbin, softens the lung expansion IMO

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

yumm

IMG_2728.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts