What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~BHO LOVERS~

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the whole page prior to this one gave me a semi.
BRAVO w/ the pix you guys.
this is one of the best threads on icmag.
but ima bias oil junkie.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
so how exactly do u make budder please i got sum of from a boulder disp. simply amazing

Just so you know, the quality of the trim/buds you use makes a huge difference to achieve budder, or so I have found.... When using buds, you get budder.. When using shitty trim it remains as oil.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
Idiot blows up his kitchen making some BHO

101028coos_explosion405.jpg

:laughing:

http://www.katu.com/news/106087888.html

thats why they call it da bomb

statusquo

It's better to use a large frying pan and put some cooking oil in it and watch the temp with a thermometer. There won't be any chance for the steam to produce any more azeotropic mixtures while the bho is drying. I think that it the best method for purge. You can heat the oil bath up and it will keep it's temperature better too.

Just wondering if you, or someone, could clear up a few questions for me. I have started to look more into BHO so bear with me here please :) I still have only a basic understanding.

-When you say use cooking oil, unless the temps we are trying to achieve over 212 (which they might be, not sure), why wouldn't you want to just water which has a high specific heat capacity?

-Can you expand in a little more detail on steam producing azeotropic mixtures? I looked up 'azeotropic' and think I get it/see how it relates but ya...

-Lastly, either method sounds like it would be done inside? I thought this was a bad idea: butane + flame/heat + inside = explosion. What about a camping stove outside? lol

Roscharc results: a mother-teresea-like person on the left, a fist (kind of like black power) on the right.

Edit: has anyone tried smoking hash and/or oil out of an oil-burner? (tweak pipe/pizzo) They are great!

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
The affinity of butane to alcohol is greater than butane to THC IIRC, so the use of a secondary solvent ensures complete removal of residual butane.

It's standard procedure in pharm for purifying medications for IV use

The oil is stable enough that at room temperature is rock hard. It becomes malleable at body temp :)

but butane boils (evaporates) at a lower temperature than alcohol, so why add another solvent? all that is needed is time and attention to detail. it's standard procedure for purifying medications for IV use, last time I checked, people aren't shooting up hash oil. how many of those medications are already purified extractions? i like the fact that my material isn't soaked in solvent for hours. 2 minutes of butane flowing through and out comes 5g of earwax, or amber. depends on how i feel that day.

long story short, use quality butane and pay attention to your product and there won't be impurities. I was a skeptic back in the day on Overgrow when HMK and Chief and HBonPCP would preach about how pure oil can be when done properly. but after a year of practice, I can see how HMK has the purge down to a one hour science. I purged two of my last three runs fully in 3 hours and both came out pure budder.

dope_roor

but butane boils (evaporates) at a lower temperature than alcohol, so why add another solvent? all that is needed is time and attention to detail. it's standard procedure for purifying medications for IV use, last time I checked, people aren't shooting up hash oil. how many of those medications are already purified extractions? i like the fact that my material isn't soaked in solvent for hours. 2 minutes of butane flowing through and out comes 5g of earwax, or amber. depends on how i feel that day.

long story short, use quality butane and pay attention to your product and there won't be impurities. I was a skeptic back in the day on Overgrow when HMK and Chief and HBonPCP would preach about how pure oil can be when done properly. but after a year of practice, I can see how HMK has the purge down to a one hour science. I purged two of my last three runs fully in 3 hours and both came out pure budder.

i try to approach my extractions from a medical chemistry standpoint, whose finals goals may not quite parallel the typical stoner. perhaps its a western medicine mentality, but I'm first seeking to find the purest form of THC, then returning to the problem to address issue of flavor and odor. by identifying the optimum solvents and conditions for each component, one could isolate target psychoactive effects and flavors, and combine for a huge spectrum of effects/taste

however its is undeniable that the use of a second solvent with differing polarity removes contaminants further than simply purging the oil in butane solution, the most stark example i can think of are the cannabis waxes. numerous publications can be referenced to this fact. while i'm not shooting up BHO intravenously, i do want my concentrate to contain low levels of non-target compounds, afterall, it is the non-target carbon compounds that are carcinogenic when combusted. whether that is necessary or not is really up to you and your personal preference. an absolute purified THC is not tasty like a typical BHO with a relatively large profile of various cannabinoids and terpenes. however it is quite smooth when purified beyond a single purge BHO. the issue of contact time of plant material vs. solvent is not really an argument for anything, organic chemistry reactions can happen in a matter of milliseconds, especially with the strong non polar solvents we use for oil making.

after my few years of bho extraction, with numerous experiments with a variety of purge techniques,i've come to the personal conclusion that 90%+ can be indeed purged out within 1 hour extraction but I say 90+ just because the oil is always smoother and more enjoyable the day after. it is possible that this fact may not be due the presence of butane and perhaps something else, nothing can really be confirmed 100% without a GC/MS.

for my patients i always let the oil cure for at least 2 days before releasing, its just smoother and more enjoyable that way. i have some oil that i stash away and cure for extended periods of time, and those taste that much better after time as well

i do have a new technique for extraction in the works, which at this stage is purely hypothetical, but i'm very curious to see the results of, it could potentially shutup all the drysifters/bubblebaggers and residual solvent naysayers :)

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
after my few years of bho extraction, with numerous experiments with a variety of purge techniques,i've come to the personal conclusion that 90%+ can be indeed purged out within 1 hour extraction but I say 90+ just because the oil is always smoother and more enjoyable the day after. it is possible that this fact may not be due the presence of butane and perhaps something else, nothing can really be confirmed 100% without a GC/MS.for my patients i always let the oil cure for at least 2 days before releasing, its just smoother and more enjoyable that way. i have some oil that i stash away and cure for extended periods of time, and those taste that much better after time as well

i do have a new technique for extraction in the works, which at this stage is purely hypothetical, but i'm very curious to see the results of, it could potentially shutup all the drysifters/bubblebaggers and residual solvent naysayers :)

so basically you admit that this is only theory and you have never had regular properly purged bho tested next to your method in a GC/MS? that is exactly our point. you're assuming something is there, and then adding another solvent, which in turn strips the product of pleasant terpenes.

I'm by no means saying suggesting to use the oil an hour after making it, I usually let it cure at least 24-48 hours before testing with the curve. When I say that I fully purged in 3 hours, I mean purged to the point that it is ready to scrape/weigh and store.

So again, even though you've been able to come across as very intelligent and knowledgeable about chemistry and extractions, you're taking a simple process and making it more complicated. I fear people less intelligent than you will take your method and end up adding contaminents to bho that would otherwise have been very pure.

dope_roor

so basically you admit that this is only theory and you have never had regular properly purged bho tested next to your method in a GC/MS? that is exactly our point. you're assuming something is there, and then adding another solvent, which in turn strips the product of pleasant terpenes.

I'm by no means saying suggesting to use the oil an hour after making it, I usually let it cure at least 24-48 hours before testing with the curve. When I say that I fully purged in 3 hours, I mean purged to the point that it is ready to scrape/weigh and store.

So again, even though you've been able to come across as very intelligent and knowledgeable about chemistry and extractions, you're taking a simple process and making it more complicated. I fear people less intelligent than you will take your method and end up adding contaminents to bho that would otherwise have been very pure.

the idea that the improved smoothness of BHO after one day is a result of residual butane evaporating is indeed theoretical. i am very curious whats really going on. however i am not assuming there are contaminants, i know for a fact that BHO contains non-medicinal, non-psychotropic components.

i hypothesize it is a combination of evaporation of residual butane and partial decarboxylation of some of the THC-A, but yes, this is purely hypothetical/theoretical

the idea of a properly executed 2nd wash with a solvent of differing polarity creating a purer botanical drug substance extract is 100% fact and not theoretical

i'm not trying to create a residual butane debate or a methodology debate, i learned how to make my BHO here and enjoy my BHO on a daily...hourly....basis :) and I generally don't use secondary solvents as I'm a bit lazy and haven't perfected a method that retains as much flavor

i think it's important that this option is discussed on a public forum with patient caregivers that demonstrate an understanding of organic chemistry. i think patients can appreciate the increased potency and less irritation from a purified hash oil, especially when they are choosing to vaporize it. whether it is is worth the effort is ultimately up to the caregiver and patient

catcherintheye

If you havent smoked BHO and youre a stonerr, shame on you. Then again the first half gram i bought and every tried was 30 bucks and smelled like a can of butane, it was pretty horrible, I didnt know any better and really wanted to try hash oil. People are cutty in SFC.

Look up a simple tech on making it, and go to bed bath and beyond and get a steel turkey baster, filler up with your regs and make some honey.

OsWiZzLe

I found a Leprechaun in my garden and got him for his all his Gold :blowbubbles:

Attachments

• DSC09798.jpg
    DSC09798.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC09800.jpg
    DSC09800.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC09805.jpg
    DSC09805.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 12
J

juicepuddle

Edit: has anyone tried smoking hash and/or oil out of an oil-burner? (tweak pipe/pizzo) They are great!

I tried this and to be honest it really hurt my lungs, they felt 'wet' after and I coughed forever.

I heard that if you used co2 to extract and use an oil burner that when the shit vaporizes it can be harmful(Basically I heard a flame needs to touch it to actually destroy the solvent, if its vaporized you inhale it)

I posted the exact same question in tokers den a while ago and got no real good answers https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191378