What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Between Sun and Moon HPS/LED comparison grow.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very well done hazy,so far so good,both sides are looking great,thanks so much for doing this for all of us,and the Rush was a nice treat!!

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
hey there hazy !!!!

good to see you are back !!! those are looking mighty fine ...

i hope all goes well with the side jobs and they lead to some solid employment ...

speaking of piss tests i think i found the last company in my area that doesnt conduct them at all ..... the crazy part is that my boss/ owner of the company is a sheriff as well, i figured he would be the first to test everyone !!!!

have a good day bro .. keep it up with the led's

LEDGirl

Veteran
Awesome update Hazy, seems like we picked an excellent grower for a demonstration! Plants look great, and the pictures are very nice.

belgowiet

i'm really intrested in this ...
i first wanne buy a 600w LED but the guy from my growshop said he tried it and he even had to trow the plants away because they stay short and didnt realy grow at all..

LEDGirl

Veteran
i'm really intrested in this ...
i first wanne buy a 600w LED but the guy from my growshop said he tried it and he even had to trow the plants away because they stay short and didnt realy grow at all..

There is a huge difference between the LED Grow Lights from one company to another. For example Procyon only gives you 1 red, 1 blue, whereas we give you 2 reds, 2 blues, white, and IR. Some companies put a lot of orange in their lights which does little to nothing for plant growth, and most companies use widely dispersed 120 degree lenses which don't have much penetrative ability. So I don't doubt his opinion on the lights he tested with, but I also don't trust most hydro stores as they seem to be out more often to "disprove" LED's, rather than to give them an honest shot. At least that's what I've seen in my interactions with some hydro stores... They make too much money selling HID bulbs.

MediScrogs

Aw shucks, tease us with some new photos soon? BOTH sides have been looking great, hazy, looking forward to watching how things go from here.

Zealious

haz ur doing a real stand up job.. I know its got to be a ton of work with all the side by sides and everything ur going through.. Just wanted to say thanks... This work ur doing is great info for the community. what reflector are u using btw?

Led girl looks like a nice product.. Im seeing less production on the led side but honestly the plants seem happier.. they are getting a healthier spectrum of light then hps? does this effect yield.. or is the raw lumin power the true yield pruducing power..

In some cases the led plants seem to be stretching less also...

Im interested in leds.. how do u feel about using cfls with the LEDs.. Specificly 6500k cfls to keep plants compact.. Also a sea of green method seems imperative cuz lets face it ur not ogin to get as much penetration as hps.. with hps ur getting 8-10" of penetration that pruduces ripe nugs.. what would u say this number is with ur unit?

LEDGirl

Veteran
Led girl looks like a nice product.. Im seeing less production on the led side but honestly the plants seem happier.. they are getting a healthier spectrum of light then hps? does this effect yield.. or is the raw lumin power the true yield pruducing power..

In some cases the led plants seem to be stretching less also...

Hi Zealious. As far as the difference in production from side to side, I can't really comment as I'm not able to view the plants in person. Photos can be tricky at times, as they don't tell the whole story, and dependent on angle, closeness, etc... can also distort appearances. So far from the tests we've observed here on the forums and elsewhere, it appears that while HPS may produce slightly larger buds in the end, the overall density of the LED buds is greater. So even if the LED plants may look a little smaller in comparison, it could simply because they are more compact in their development (meaning they'll weigh more in the end). The spectral output from our LED's and their intensity, are the reasons behind why there is less stretch and more compactness in node formation.

Im interested in leds.. how do u feel about using cfls with the LEDs.. Specificly 6500k cfls to keep plants compact.. Also a sea of green method seems imperative cuz lets face it ur not ogin to get as much penetration as hps.. with hps ur getting 8-10" of penetration that pruduces ripe nugs.. what would u say this number is with ur unit?

Our first generation LED lights contained 20% 6500k white LED's. In essence, these are the same as a 6500k CFL, except for the fact that the light emitted from the LED's is more intense. With the high percentage of warm white in our 1st generation lights, there was a lot more stretching than with our current 2nd generation lights. Our 2nd generation lights use 3000k cool white, and only contain 5% at that. The plants grow shorter, pack nodes even tighter, and flowering has been improved. You can always add extra light to your garden, which in the end will allow for higher yields, but beware of the other effects they could have of which may be unwanted depending on grow style. To answer your question on penetration, our 60 degree LED's have less "fade" than a 1000W HID. The percentage at which the light fades with LED is about 2% less than HID, and they will grow a 40" tall plant very similarly to a HID. I made a post somewhere showing this effect, but you'd have to look around in our forum. Ultimately though I was creating arm sized colas on 40" tall plants, with nice 5-7g colas appearing half-way down (about 2.5' away from the light itself). The bottom buds were identical (if not a little larger) than what I would normally get with my multiple 1000W HID's.

hazy

Veteran
OK, not much time, just going to tease you with some sour diesel tonight.​

Sour Diesel ibl

hps/led

hps/led

hps/led

hps/led

As you can see, the hps is obviously longer. The colas are looking really good. The led while not as big is obviously denser. I don't know if that's enough to even it out; we'll see at the end. I'll put up the ss and c4 tomorrow.:cathug:

Last edited:
i clearly can see the latest pics showing that the LEDs are winning. the buds just look whiter, bigger, & just better. i am so pissed i just got another HID. i may return it now....i mean, less power, heat, watering, nutes.....theres no question....

compost

Very nice to see scientific tests done on this sight. Way to many things we accept whether it be from facts or our own misunderstood results. Great test hazy when I am back into a consistent perpetual grow again gonna start doing some side by side tests myself. So many variables to squeeze out that extra bud.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Thanks for keeping us updated Hazy, many peeps seem really interested in the LED's. Interesting observations regarding the dense vs long buds, do you think this is a radiant heat thing from the hps?

Latest posts

Latest posts