What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Sour Diesel from seed?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took this advice and half-way through I can say that this is pretty much spot on. Everything about this headbanger is nearly identical to my old sour diesel, all female phenos are consistent too. It's got that quick stretch, big calyxes, funky smell, and really good resin production. Dense, easy to trim nugs evenly spaced out and the fan leaves come off with easy snap. What a great plant. Easy to train too.

I think that the mother to headbanger was a sister to my old diesel so it really could share a ton of qualities.

Great advice!

Glad it worked out smooth! I have extreme confidence in that sour Karmas got.

bs0

Thanks for the feedback. Headbanger seeds are still available at a lot of big name seed banks. I got a pack and had just popped 3 seeds about a week ago.

What's the flowering time for these Headbangers? Also, I'm curious what's the male/female ratio?

I had 2 male 2 female from 4 seeds. Other seeds I popped at the same time ended up much more skewed towards female. Still have the males putting along with some moms in veg in case I get frisky and want to make a cross with them.

Mine are 5.5 weeks and look to have a long time left. Have seen other people recommend 10w+ for the banger and that's similar to my old sour diesel that was best at 10-11w. Long flower times have never bothered me when the plant is still packing on flowers/resin..

Stizo

Veteran
IF you can find/buy those seeds. It's really frustrating when the breeder releases just a small amount and it would sell out within hours of release.

If you read the Karma thread he says that the 2007 Rez SD male he uses throws out very little pollen which would mean even if he used multiple male clones to pollenate, the plants use up a lot of grow space, hence limitations on seed numbers and subsequent drops.

It takes a lot of money to produce these seed runs and breeders aren't instantly paid by banks they supply. Seed banks have problems intermittently taking payment via credit/debit cards further adding to delays. Lots of potential for hold ups in the chain of production and supply.

Further to that, entire batches of seeds have previously mysteriously got lost in transit. I remember that happened last year. The courier or postal service just lost the shipment and he then had to release his personal stash of beans which wasn't all that big. Then you gotta wait for the next grow to finito:plant grow:
I don't pretend to know all the reasons. I'm just positing a few. I really don't think Karma holds back. I do think his stuff is quality over quantity and I know which camp I prefer on that front and any delays are inevitable mishaps.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you read the Karma thread he says that the 2007 Rez SD male he uses throws out very little pollen which would mean even if he used multiple male clones to pollenate, the plants use up a lot of grow space, hence limitations on seed numbers and subsequent drops.

It takes a lot of money to produce these seed runs and breeders aren't instantly paid by banks they supply. Seed banks have problems intermittently taking payment via credit/debit cards further adding to delays. Lots of potential for hold ups in the chain of production and supply.

Further to that, entire batches of seeds have previously mysteriously got lost in transit. I remember that happened last year. The courier or postal service just lost the shipment and he then had to release his personal stash of beans which wasn't all that big. Then you gotta wait for the next grow to finito:plant grow:
I don't pretend to know all the reasons. I'm just positing a few. I really don't think Karma holds back. I do think his stuff is quality over quantity and I know which camp I prefer on that front and any delays are inevitable mishaps.

Burt

Veteran
Does it though?
10-20,000 beans easy are harvested and costs are electricity and nutes.
It’s all supply and demand hype, to keep prices artificially inflated. Don’t be making excuses for the man- we all know better.
The Sour Diesel is so good that even 20 years later there are more posts regarding her than all other strains

Sunshineinabag

What's with humans having a popular cultivar......then acting like they piss excellence and your just a rock under their boot....how dare you try to contact me as a new customer! The fuken audacity

Stizo

Veteran
This is interesting. Perhaps I'm misconstruing the comments here but never read much in terms of bad vibes towards Karma before. Any one care to elaborate rather than just toss out generalized throw away lines? Is that because you missed out on some seeds drops?

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does it though?
10-20,000 beans easy are harvested and costs are electricity and nutes.
It’s all supply and demand hype, to keep prices artificially inflated. Don’t be making excuses for the man- we all know better.
The Sour Diesel is so good that even 20 years later there are more posts regarding her than all other strains

To each his own,I don't need to make excuses for Karma.
He is a big boy,PM him your grievance.
As far as I'm concerned Karma puts in the work,is an honest breeder,and goes above and beyond to bring us the best expressions of cannabis genetics.
Of course this is just my opinion.Like I said ,to each his own.Personally if there were more like you I would have snagged a couple more packs of the man's Sowahh.
Happy Holidays,and Happy Hunting!

bs0

To each his own,I don't need to make excuses for Karma.
He is a big boy,PM him your grievance.
As far as I'm concerned Karma puts in the work,is an honest breeder,and goes above and beyond to bring us the best expressions of cannabis genetics.
Of course this is just my opinion.Like I said ,to each his own.Personally if there were more like you I would have snagged a couple more packs of the man's Sowahh.
Happy Holidays,and Happy Hunting!

It's been this way for 20 years. The folks who give a shit are always small - those with enough space for commercial grows do that because it is easier money. Making seeds requires specialized good sized spaces to avoid cross contamination.

If it's so easy folks should do it themselves. I've thought about doing seeds before but to avoid producing trash there is a ton you have to do and I don't have that space or energy.

Even now, seeds are a bit of a wild west. A lot of what you buy is trust so you want to trust the breeder to not be repackaging or renaming shit. Find a good breeder and stick with them even if that means having to camp drops from time to time.

That said, I'm truly surprised there aren't more good diesel seedlines out there. Rez SD packs pumped out tons of keepers for years so you know the genetics are out there. Sour Diesel is the truth.

Burt

Veteran
Karmas SD is a Rez selection.
Try having a more creative argument rather than your jealous or you missed a drop.
Specialized equipment you say? Are you kidding me? The amount of custy coming from some of you is unbelievably ignorant to say the least

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Creative arguement?
As I suggested PM Karma,give him a piece of your mind.
With all the fly by night breeders out there,I find it odd you would choose Karma to set your sights on.But,as I said to each his own.

Burt

Veteran
Creative arguement?
As I suggested PM Karma,give him a piece of your mind.
With all the fly by night breeders out there,I find it odd you would choose Karma to set your sights on.But,as I said to each his own.
New England huh? I’m a mass hole too and I have zero beef with karma or anyone else
How about the commercialization of our sacred plant come to an end?
Limited drops and exclusivity are ideas i gladly left behind with them cliques in high school
I too had the Rez version in the garden, that is until I got fucking profiled at a dead show-oh the irony-and tore down
Luckily, a very kind ICMAGGER hooked it the fuck up and the resulting plant is even better than the gem I found in his $150 pack

TheDarkStorm

New England huh? I’m a mass hole too and I have zero beef with karma or anyone else
How about the commercialization of our sacred plant come to an end?
Limited drops and exclusivity are ideas i gladly left behind with them cliques in high school
I too had the Rez version in the garden, that is until I got fucking profiled at a dead show-oh the irony-and tore down
Luckily, a very kind ICMAGGER hooked it the fuck up and the resulting plant is even better than the gem I found in his $150 pack

Burt do you have a picture by any chance of your keeper find of the sour diesel please...I would definitely be interested in seeing it if its a good one...and it'd be a welcome addition to this thread. Thanks

Burt

Veteran
Burt do you have a picture by any chance of your keeper find of the sour diesel please...I would definitely be interested in seeing it if its a good one...and it'd be a welcome addition to this thread. Thanks

While I’d love to, my partner isn’t down with any cameras or phones in the rooms.
Suffice to say it is very much like the SD IBL in my gallery except the crown tops are rounder in shape due to the GG#4 it was crossed into. Luckily this pheno is straight diesel while the other seed I popped is dark chocolate, spicy and silver in appearance. It is also in rotation. The diesel also throws zero nanners while Rez’s always did a few late in flower
I feel very blessed and the best part was they were free!
After I get the STS right I will do S1’s for you

lLucky

I'm working on Sour D line but it's going to be a while before it's done.

Twin Turbo Diesel from CSI looks interesting, and Karma looks like a great breeder

DR Greenthumb also should have good S1

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

I am glad, you found nice diesel pheno man. :D hehe like you said most phenos are chocolate ones, but usually two or three of eight are straight diesel. enjoy.
picture.php

Drewsif

Anyways,Karma has the best seed version of Sour,in my opinion.
Happy Holidays!

He's a piece of shit. His "medical" grow in AZ consists of failed mildew trials soaked in fungicides and fake terpenes. Fuck anyone who uses a coveted medical license to pheno hunt for black market seed sales. Especially when they spray all the losers and call it medicine. Karma is HIGHLY responsible for the fucked up quality standards of the region.

Thesearch

He's a piece of shit. His "medical" grow in AZ consists of failed mildew trials soaked in fungicides and fake terpenes. Fuck anyone who uses a coveted medical license to pheno hunt for black market seed sales. Especially when they spray all the losers and call it medicine. Karma is HIGHLY responsible for the fucked up quality standards of the region.

Not saying it's not true, but is there proof of these claims that we can look to?