What's new

Best Growlight Currently Available?

Kimes

Old thread, yeah but I would like to add this one here: Osram PHYTOFY RL tunable LED Price around 2K, so not bad for something NASA uses on space station..

OSRAM_NASA_PHYTOFY_55.jpg

FranJan

2nd Best :) IHS- Comes in multiple or completely custom spectrums. You can design your own strips/QBs. They even make their own drivers. And you can buy a Phytofy from them.

1655663859527.png

See, even NASA people blow off the green shades.
Here's a company made up of some of the NASA lighting folks. Good lights too.
1655664333208.png

AllStuff420

This is referred to as 'full spectrum' lighting. Some hues in that spectrum are especially beneficial to indoor plants. Blue light stimulates the production of chlorophyll, the pigment required by plants to flourish. It also aids in the germination and growth of roots in young plants and seedlings.

FranJan

That phytofy light looks good but is not strong enough for cannabis,in my opinion.
The specs say max output is 150w which could work in a 60x60(flower) or 80x80(veg).
For that price you can get a gavita or lumatek or whatever putting out 650+ watts.

Cheers
Yeah a Phytofy is for boring old research really. There are a few companies making adjustable lights for growing cannabis.
https://www.feit.com/product/adjustable-3-color-spectrum-dual-2ft-led-grow-light/ :p

At the end of the day these lights cost so much extra if you don't know exactly what you're doing with different spectra there really isn't much point to owning them IMHO. Get a solid grow light and learn how to use it right.

snakedope

Best light ? in which terms ? for growth or trichomes ?
For growth go LED, no doubt, they cost more but veg perfect without the heat stress a HID will do in these early stages, for flower go CMH or HPS (depending on the strain), Spreading HIDs is better then 1 strong one on top of them all, each extra HID (150W+) is like an extra sun at the right height, LED push 1500-2000 ppfd and thats the expansive versions at 12 inch height, while a 400w HID is pushing more then 2500 at 12 inch height, a 600 will push more then 4000 ppfd at 12 inch, but heat will be a significant factor.
And yes, you can use all of these 4000 ppfd, without CO2, we are talking trichome formation and production, they love light intensity and saturation.
Only above 2000 you really need to consider adding CO2, but its very hard to reach these numbers across a canopy, even harder with 1 light source.

Attachments

• HPSGraphPAR31.jpg
    HPSGraphPAR31.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 87

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The price of the new LEDs is stupidly expensive in a few cases. I looked at a couple of big LED lights at the local grow shop that was way overpriced. A lot of people are making big profits because of it. . However, there are new incoming LEDs that are made much cheaper and safe to use. The technologies are kicking ass when it comes to new diodes and output at lower prices.

With the new diodes available you don't need that much light to get good results. I see people like myself that use way too much lighting because we are afraid of not giving the plants enough light. Instead of blasting the plants with excess lighting why not try just one time using less light and check the results. You would be amazed how well plants respond. Don't be fooled by the 43% more light when you just don't need it. If I can get big flowers using less light why use more? 😎

FranJan

The price of the new LEDs is stupidly expensive in a few cases. I looked at a couple of big LED lights at the local grow shop that was way overpriced. A lot of people are making big profits because of it. . However, there are new incoming LEDs that are made much cheaper and safe to use. The technologies are kicking ass when it comes to new diodes and output at lower prices.

With the new diodes available you don't need that much light to get good results. I see people like myself that use way too much lighting because we are afraid of not giving the plants enough light. Instead of blasting the plants with excess lighting why not try just one time using less light and check the results. You would be amazed how well plants respond. Don't be fooled by the 43% more light when you just don't need it. If I can get big flowers using less light why use more? 😎
Can you link us to these LEDs that are cheaper and safer? And what new diodes? EVOs? Micro LEDs?

snakedope

The thing you need to realize about LEDs and any other light sources (lets say 10w CFLs also) is that they emit low lm count, so they are very good for growing all kinds of plants, they are tailored lights for specific purpose, which is vegging in our case.
You dont need to buy expansive LEDs, as like ferts, you give diff types in veg and diff types in flower, same here, you can give any kind of light, and the plant will grow, many growers under any type of light and output has proven this, any kind of plant will grow even under 1w of light,
after you got the growing part covered, you move to flowering, sure, some of the flowering process is growing like veg, building flower mass \ seeds etc, these are visible "growing" expressions, like new branches or leaves, and require atleast 1w of light to sustain any growth at all,
Forming the THC, or glue as i like to call it because i think it represent the stuff we are looking for, ive seen strains with 28% THC that dont have no smell no high no taste, 1 thing in common with them all, no glue, nothing like flowers thats grown under intense light.
back to the THC um sorry GLUE part, you need to understand that everything in life is stages, when you are a baby you get milk, when u grow up you get mashed food, then normal food
When in flowering, the plant is in the stage when u need to introduce "Normal Food" aka high intense lights (that is if u want glue ya ?), 50 years maybe more of poor spectrum, high IR heat "lame" HID\ Big CFLs lamps bring out the best glue and effect whether its in AMS or So Cal or any other place on earth
Im not saying science is wrong, its just wrong...
trichomes need high intensity, high lm measured (not par) lights. no way around it.

Ca++

If...... causing bleaching....... It means one part of the spectrum (likely red) is outstanding. Such that it causes an overall performance limitation. The old saying 'you can only have so much of a good thing' is very fitting. If we want to max out, we need a balanced input.
It's now proven to be red. It shouldn't be more than 40% of the overall spectrum, if you want to max out your lighting.

Osram/fluence are the big players lighting we can get hold of, and is being trailed extensively in cannabis grows. Buy enough lights, and they loan you an expert to ensure you do well. You have to share him with other big players though, and will learn from you all. He has seen feed amendments work that surprised him, and will happily advise you in all aspects of what he has learned, moving around the states between major operators.
Even if you don't buy enough to get the free expert, you can rest assured that your lighting has actually been trialed extensively with cannabis.

They are not really bothering with out of band lighting, as trials have been pretty fruitless (we could of told them that) :)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i dunno... usually the sun is strongest in july and aug, getting less intense, shorter hrs in sept and oct , and thats when u are harvesting...

snakedope

Koondense - i dont understand your question ?

zachrockbadenof - you say 1 thing then say the opposite, if the sun is strongest at july and aug, how is it getting less intense ? dosent make sense.

if we minimize the seasons to lets say, summer (hot sun) or winter (low sun), the veg period happens mainly in the winter season and fall ofcourse, it further suggests that even with very low light plants will grow.
flowering and maturation need high energy whether its for making fruits, flowers etc...
high energy comes from 1 place only, the sun, heat and high ppf count, so high everywhere that man made lamps can never reach those figures across the same space.

when you plant something outdoors you always take the seasons into account, you plant at feb lets say (where i live) and harvest at july or aug, and its not because the sun is getting less intense, its because its the most intense at that period, driving the flowering into its peaks and maturing the plant like it needs to be (in order to reach what we are looking for - GLUE) and is ready for harvest.

snakedope

Im very impressed with the spread of LED lights, but it only prove 1 thing, that plants will grow with even 1w of light, and grow rather good (GROW, not produce high quality GLUE)
The talk about incidents of light and angles of light because u have 300 light sources is legit but only applies for GROW\VEG, the initial power of each diode is not enough to drive trichomes to their full maturation like high powered CFLs or HIDs does.

I know all of this sounds rather disappointing, but there is a good side to all of this,
LED showed us that spreading light sources is the way to go (instead of 1 light source) in order to drive massive qty yields, it also showed us that there is a threshold that you cant go under (in order to produce good matured trichomes), in my research i found that this threshold is about 2200 LM per each light source (talking about flowering period here again dont get mixed up and start cursing me haha)

i love the insights of LEDs, gonna try to build a fixture same like LED panels with 32w CFLs or 70w HIDs
Should be interesting seeing the incidents and angles of light with a much more powerful sources to begin with.

As start to finish lights, a panel of CFLs or HIDs will be the best option ever, but is hard to apply i do understand that.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
snakedope- an earlier post stated u start with less power, and as the plant matures into flower u increase the light (unless i read the post wrong) - my comment is if u start (like we do) our plants indoors in april, transfer them outside in mid may, and they are vegging till mid aug (give or take) , and then go into flower, the sun is becoming less strong in sept/oct when u harvest...

AlphaCentaury78

Cosmonauta cannabico 🚀
Hi growers. For me, but I have this, the best light is Cob series Industrial Spectradesignlab Is a Italian productor of hight quality grow lights all made and assembled in Italy. The price is not low but there’s the quality.
The cob used are Cree 3590 Top bin or Citizen.
I use this Led cob ( have 3590 cree top bin) in my actualy cycle and I love. They have high penetration, very good PAR and excellent box coverage.
In my box 80x80x180 I use the 260 watt Cob4 series Industrial and for me is the best I've ever used.

Last edited:

snakedope

Yes you are right zachrock, but only longer strains finish in late sep\ mid oct, here where i live we harvest late july mid aug mainly, maybe start of sep on longer strains
in late aug and late sep the sun is not less intense but its hours are starting to decrease, we are still in summer period where the sun is more strong then winter, less then peak summer maybe but still in the high peaks of the year fo sure.

snakedope

And i didnt say i started with less power, im saying that LED light now are under powered lights fit mainly for vegging in large spaces (because u can divide the diodes to many places and keep low wattage consumption)

i stated in other thread here that i look at cannabis growing and see 2 process that need different kind of ferts\lights\heat whatever

in vegging a lot is forgiven, low lights, low heat, high heat, etc
in flowering different terms must apply in order to get what u are searching for
people that grow plants for seeds, oil (not GLUE resin), fibers, etc.. should never use high powered lights, as they are wasting their time instead of just bringing more plants and even out and balance the under light issue in terms of yield per plant

a very great person said it i dont remember if it was here or not, the bang is in the GLUE
only high intensity lights can produce this to the point its worth the entire growing cycle.