What's new

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I know coco needs to wet, not dry. That is irrelevant to the fiber content. They will both retain similar amounts of water, but coco that has too much pith drains too slowly. It's a practical concern. I have to wait on it to drain if I'm flushing or whatever, and I don't want to do that. If you don't care how slowly it drains, then it doesn't matter, but that's a big concern of mine. I don't have the patience for slow draining coco.

fibrous coco dries out much faster, which can only mean one thing, it's retaining less water. if it's draining faster than it would be fairly easy to assume that less water is being absorbed in the process, and the total level of saturation is less(if you add 4l to a plant and the one in the fibrous coco drains out 1l, and the more refined stuff only has .5l of runoff it's safe to say the medium has absorbed an extra .5l is it not?). speed of draining is the least of my concern, ideal conditions for my plants are much more important than a slight inconvenience/added wait time. I really don't care what type of coco that you prefer, use what works for you...I have been growing in nothing but coco for nearly 10 years, I'd say I've got a pretty good idea of what works best for me, and I prefer less fibrous coco, even canna is too fibrous for my liking. also perlite is completely pointless in coco.

Rollout

It holds more total water, sure, but that doesn't mean that the actual ratio of air/water is changed in such a way as to be significant. I doubt if a side by side run were made that the higher pith coco would have any measurable improvement in yield or anything else. And I don't care that you don't care.

Webster10

I bought a 5kg brick from GH. How does everyone else prepare their coco for transplanting clones into it? I have to definitely flush and pre charg with cal-mag, correct?

B

Baron Greenback

Sorry to hear you had a disaster with U-gro, I've been using that brand for a while (for no other reason than that's what I get get) and have had really good results. The slabs seem to give me a nice ph and good root production. I've just taken 400g from 2 plants in these slabs. Ace seeds Zamaldelica in case anyone is interested.

DrFever

Veteran
I have never used coco but this is what i think, its all about money at the end of the day for any business, with that said quality control gets brushed aside more and more as the share holders. and other investors . owners become more greedy
Greed is the evil of all things managers get pressed to push more product out the door leaving mistakes behind like any product bad batches do occur
this is no different then ocean forrest or soil companies competing, in this market as sales go up quality goes down and this is why you see so many issues from gnat problems to soil being to hot or what ever

CHEFfy

Well, guess you have to try it out... I not noticed one bit of quality in bcuzz, have been using it for 5 years now. Price has even dropped a bit for me.

B

Baron Greenback

I'm going to have a go with Canna's cogr slabs. It is a bit different from the ugro slabs as they will require buffering (is this just another way to extract cash from me as other manufacturers seem to buffer theirs). I have the cogr nutrient but this might mean that mixing in my usual Diamond Nectar in veg and the Bud XL in flower might not be so good.
It will be interesting to find out.

CHEFfy

Keep it simple as possible. Proper ec and ph with frequent waterings will reward you without additives. Keep it simple and avoid stacking products to avoid lockouts. 1.2-1.6 ec for most strains and ph between 5.6-6 and keep her wet!

B

Baron Greenback

Big fan of the keep it simple. Minimal nutrients, no 97 step feeding schedule for me :)
Once the bud xl runs out, I'm back to molasses.

spunion

I got talked into Tupur (Royal Gold) at the grow store. Bout to open it up and do some transplants. Has a good price point, and some good additives mixed in. I'll see how it compares to the bricks I used last time (Botanicare maybe?).

spunion

Royal Gold's Tupur has coco coir with forest humus (?), oyster shells, azomite, and perlite.

I don't think it has a lot of the goodies you'd get with Canna and what not. Although it was $14 for 56.7 liters. I don't really like having the perlite, nor am I a fan of the coir itself in Tupur. Don't think I'd buy again.

I just mixed up a light doses of my A&B and great white with full strength dosage of sea green and roots excelurator. Looking forward to seeing what they look like in a week.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Royal Gold's Tupur has coco coir with forest humus (?), oyster shells, azomite, and perlite.
yeah it's basically a coco coir based soil mix, w/ coir replacing the peat that is a typical base of most soil mixes. if you want to grow in coco, then grow in coco..not a coco based soil. I tried it years ago when it was first coming out(hydro shop gave me a few bags to try for free)...I immediately went back to b'cuzz

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A block of Botanicare s CocoGro i got recently has the most red and black sand ive ever seen! Just a small half gallons worth when washed has tons of sand.
smh
gh block is a little better. i honestly think wormfarms coco just as good...

I like bagged Canna havnt seen the block canna yet

CHEFfy

Agreed. Bcuzz straight from the bag, no fucking around. Tried many other mixes and always end up with bcuzz coco, heavy 16 and a little facilitor if I'm feeling rich!

Weeded1s

Bcuzz vs. Canna .. bcuzz costs more money in most places right?
I just keep asking myself if im ok with canna why would I pay more?
im trying to pay less!