What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

RetroGrow

Veteran
High ceilings and tall plants are perfect for bare bulbs. Stack them, and you get fat buds from top to bottom of an 8 foot plant. Wall trellises work well with them in narrow spaces. Check the "WOW" thread. You can also create rows by having hanging trellises between rows, whether nylon or regular wood trellises. Plants are completely bathed in light.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Red, vert is best utilized in a SOG grow IMHO

Course play with it because it is a fun way to grow......just lots of different ways of doing it, it all comes down to how many plants you're willing to throw at a bulb....that's when we can start advising you on which way to go.

Peace,
HGO

GrowVert

The best vertical grow system

The best vertical grow system

Growing vertically is without a doubt the best way to grow. I have seen a lot of different set ups and the biggest issues facing growers who want to grow vertically is the lack of quality in the prodcuts that are available. Up until now the best ones around are the home crafted type. Still they lack usability when it comes to canopy management and maintenance. I personally think the 99% of the products out there are not an upgrade from an awesome flat garden.
There is a new system out called the Icon Vertical Agriculture System. I have seen the prototypes of this and its the real deal. 3 to 5 levels and completely mobile. You can move it around work n your canpoy and move it right back into place. The light system has a heavy base so it doesnt knock over. The hardware for the netting is awesome. There are eyelets all over the inside of this thing so you can hook the net right in and keep it tight. Perfect for SCROG. Ever seen one vertically? you will be soon.
This is a brand new company who is expecting to have parts boxed up and ready for shipment mid july. Check them out at http://verttek.com

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Grow Vert

GrowVert

Nice Shill ...

Hope you enjoy your stay .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

RetroGrow

Veteran
Growing vertically is without a doubt the best way to grow. I have seen a lot of different set ups and the biggest issues facing growers who want to grow vertically is the lack of quality in the prodcuts that are available. Up until now the best ones around are the home crafted type. Still they lack usability when it comes to canopy management and maintenance. I personally think the 99% of the products out there are not an upgrade from an awesome flat garden.
There is a new system out called the Icon Vertical Agriculture System. I have seen the prototypes of this and its the real deal. 3 to 5 levels and completely mobile. You can move it around work n your canpoy and move it right back into place. The light system has a heavy base so it doesnt knock over. The hardware for the netting is awesome. There are eyelets all over the inside of this thing so you can hook the net right in and keep it tight. Perfect for SCROG. Ever seen one vertically? you will be soon.
This is a brand new company who is expecting to have parts boxed up and ready for shipment mid july. Check them out at http://verttek.com

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=54708&pictureid=1276599&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I think you're supposed to pay for adds.

GrowVert

Your welcome, just sharin. I have seen some really nice home built systems. but not any prefab ones that perform well. You can't work inside them. Its a nightmare. This seems to have it all.

GrowVert

My apologies for the reference. I can't image doing a flat garden after years of success with vertical. Been using wheels for years and it makes a world of difference in terms of getting inside the "circle" and working on your canopy. I have used 11 gallons p/plant with two levels and had great results. Using 1-4 gallons p/plnt at 3 or 4 levels is the ideal vertical grow set up. Wheels are a must if you are building.
The "circle" has proven to create the most canopy coverage. If you know how to super crop then you can get a high yield canopy that blows away a flat, stadium or the like. The ones I have used are basically just like the Icon. Made of wood and instead of two 90 degree bins they are one 180. I use 600's and 1000's. Switch em right out. I have never seen anything as flexible as mine. I know many people that use what I do and I really haven't seen a more complete solution. Aeroponic would be an upgrade. I know others, including myself have wasted a lot of time on trial and error when taking on the vertical grow. I have done just about everything you can imagine trying to figure out the best way. Wether its one level, or two, or three or four levels the diametrics are the same.
For those wanting to go vertical you can make your shelves in different ways and use pots or make bins, but essentially the goal is to build that perfect wall of green using the most optimum specs. Although you can craft your set up in a few ways the function of the device is specific. With a precise build out and accurate use the benefits of growing vertically are there for the taking.

DrFever

Veteran

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=54708&pictureid=1276599&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

if thats the case then may i ask why when scrolling thru manty vertical journals i find the magic yield number as .85- .87 grams per while many horizontal growers are hitting gram per watt even fist timers ????

GrowVert

First timers getting 1 per? Wow what country do you live in. Seems like you have accomplishments way beyond the exceptional. .85 seems low and not sure where exactly that might come from. Your net is more like the avg. vertical. Great job.

DrFever

Veteran
First timers getting 1 per? Wow what country do you live in. Seems like you have accomplishments way beyond the exceptional. .85 seems low and not sure where exactly that might come from. Your net is more like the avg. vertical. Great job.

yea first time i ever grew inside i did 6 pounds 2000 watts smashed it yea think ??? and one was MH and other HPS open reflector total room build was 300 for 2000 watts 350 for exhaust fan got 76 clones for free so in reality spend about 800.00 for room 250 bucks on electricity 60 bucks on plant food
to make 16,800 dollars total out of my pocket 1150 tops pretty good margin ?? little over 2 months from clone

owe ps out of the 76 plants 4 died so 72 plants vegged 5 weeks then flipped afghanistan kush

and pretty simple really to figure out vertical averages just have to look on vert journals and yes .85 - .87 is the reality number

GrowVert

Nice job with 5 weeks veg. Most people I know running verts are avg. 1.3 to 1.5. I have seen some posts made by people with verts and most are hitting the same. .85 is low for verticals. Not sure what journals say that but .85 isn't the avg.

Miraculous Meds

Benefits of Vertical Growing

Increased yields 20-30%

Easier training

These are the main benefits that come to mind from my experience

More drugs, money, hookers...oh is this benefits? Maybe this be the negatives.

papaduc

Veteran
Most people I know running verts are avg. 1.3 to 1.5.

Unless you can prove otherwise, bullshit.

Increased yields 20-30%

Easier training

These are the main benefits that come to mind from my experience

Easier training on a vert? No way brother. No way. In fact, it's the traiing on a vert that can sting even experienced growers. Vert SOG is easier yes, but flat SOG is too. Once you're growing bushes or bigger plants with single bulbs, vertical training requires a lot more effort and attention.

On a flat grow, you can top, veg to 12-18", flip, and leave.. and pull good yields of grade A buds, proper colas. No trimming training...

Vertical grows don't afford you that luxury. Maybe with the right strain you can get away with it to a degree, but even then you need to be doing at least some training to spread the plant, otherwise you're pulling down a lot of sub standard crap.

For me, the whole vertical = bigger yields is just a myth which has run wild since heath pulled that fantastic 2gpw grow. People are chasing the dream and failing time after time, that's just a fact evidenced by the average results of every documented vertical grow on the internet.

A lot of people are doing 0.5gpw, but are reluctant to change the system because of what's possible, not what is ever likely to happen.

Yes, in a system like that, done to perfection, you can pull ridiculous numbers. But who runs a system like that, really?

People need to know that vertical is a responsibility which requires time and knowledge and commitment to pull off even 1gpw...

I honestly would advise any new grower looking to safely and consistently hit close to that figure of good quality A grade buds, to grow horizontally.

papaduc

Veteran
Papaduc, First there is no one right answer.

There is more than just ur way of thinking though.

There always is. You put your argument forward and I'll put mine. I appreciate a response as long as it stays specific to the subject.

So let me share my experience. Growing horizontal scrogs.....

You've bypassed most of the points I made by tying in scrogging with horizontal growing because I wasn't talking about scrogs. Scrogs are fiddly things and can be restrictive. I agree. But like I say, I'm not talking about screens.

When going horizontal a good run for me would be .8gpw, with a good run on vert I can hit 1.5. And Im quite sure im gonna get to 2.

Any pictures?

Most people are not doing that on vertical runs. If you are, you're an exception, not the norm. One of the drawbacks of vertical growing is, if you're not on top of your training, you will invariably suffer as a result.

Horizontal growing is dependable and consistent, even without paying any attention at all throughout the grow. Can you honestly say the same about vertical? Maybe with multiple bulbs and enough space yes, but not otherwise. There are variables which change the perspective of the argument, but by and large the point remains.

And actually u can do a vert sog like ur describing up there with less training and crush it.

I already made that point. I agree that SOG mitigates a lot of problems people face with both methods.

I tested it and beat a gpw my first time with root rot. Just making the point that if I had that rot in a horizontal grow, Id be lucky to pull .4gpw.

There's no way you can make a claim like that with any validation. I mean you can believe it, but it's a hypothetical point.

U need to have a solid grasp of the fundamentals to have a successful grow no matter which way u do it. After that u need to dial in all the small details that will take it to the next level, if ur concerned with maxing out yield potential.

And this is the point I'm making.

All you need on a flat grow is a basic understanding of the fundamentals of growing a plant and nothing more.

On a vertical single bulb grow with the same number of plants, you need to be on top of your training methods to do even semi-respectable numbers.

Let me give you an example of the point I made in my last post.

6 plants under a 600w. Topped and left to grow a few main branches, vegged to 12-18" then flipped.

Provided the basics of plant growing are adhered to, no more maintenance other than maybe a few pinches is required to guarantee a nice harvest of colas and grade A buds.

On a vert grow around a 600w bulb, more maintenance and attention is required to get the same results as the above. Do you agree?

"People need to know that vertical is a responsibility which requires time and knowledge and commitment to pull off even 1gpw"

I agree with this statement, its not a benefit of vert growing, but is a fact in any way u grow.

I maybe should have said "to pull off respectable yields".... This is a big point for me.

Once you've reached a level of experience and you're past burning your plants or failing with clones etc, I would say horizontal guarantees a minimum return every time. I don't think the same about vert, I've got to say it.

I've seen people on here pull down grows at 0.5gpw and even below, who are experienced growers who have done multiple runs with the same methods. The reason for this is the one thing people don't seem to want to talk about when discussing vert growing, and that is the fact that it will punish you with shameful yields and heart breaking amounts of shite if you don't maintain it properly. That is a fact that should be taken into consideration.

If we can talk about the benefits of vertical growing, it's only right to talk about the drawbacks too.

Do u grow vert, if so then why

With the right strain yes, I'll do it. I'll say this straight to any new growers reading: don't go into it thinking that the light chart and 135% more growing area translates easily into your final yield. It absolutely does not, and I think a lot of people are fooled into thinking that way by the fact that vertical growing is projected using figures such as those.

Do it because you want to try something new, but not because it's a way to guarantee bigger or even better yields, because in my experience it isn't. You only have to do your reading to see that for many other people, it isn't either.

It is a cool way to grow, and fun. But it's got to be projected properly and the truth I think gets lost a bit in the myth.

With a nice long columnar strain though, it can be a cracking way to get the most out of it. I thnk vert really comes into it's own in that instance.

what benefits do u get from growing vert.

Results like these

picture.php

But I also grow horizontal because of results like this

picture.php

Miraculous Meds

I respect ur opinion papaduc and I can tell by ur comments that u know quite a bit about growing.
I just disagree with a lot of ur points that u think flat is easier over vert.
U can say training isn't easier for u and I believe u. But it is easier for me. Can u believe me. That's why I posted it as a benefit, then I responded how exactly it is a benefit. U cant refute my opinion. If its not easier for u then fine, but that's not a benefit. And my opinion offers a benefit.

I don't have any pics as im new to posting so still getting my feet wet and feeling this forum thing out. But I will take camera recommendations as I am contemplating doing so.

I wish I knew how to take individual quotes as u have done with my post so I can directly respond to everything like u have, but I will do my best to just answer them here.

Ive done flat grows for 10 to `15 years and vert for 3 or 4 and I think the work is equally hard. There is no advantage to training flat. u can do smaller plants that take less training either way. Both ways can fit different varieties better but u can succuessfully do a variety either way, just might take more or less vegging, and more or less training.

I will say that I think laying out some plants on the ground and getting going is easier then creating a vertical build.

You are right in telling newbs that this isn't a miracle cure to higher yields. It takes hard work, dedication, education, and experience either way u do it. But in my opinion if u have a lot of the knowledge and experience for both ways, vert offers a higher ceiling of potential yield per watt of light because of the canopy area around a closer proximity to the light.

Latest posts

Latest posts