What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

redclover

Has anybody tried the 860w CMH vert yet?

YES!!! IMO it's the best...spectrum, PAR, umols, UV, you name it. Runs as cool as a new 600w HPS too. Not too shabby for $100.

Well Bro.....Rule of thumb with bare bulbs hangin is tip of bulb even with tops of plants till end of stretch , and then top of socket even with tops of plants till end of cycle with the bulb dropped down to penetrate sideways into the canopy...

You do have the plants circled round the bulb right ?...also....when possible , add another 400 watt hps below the CMH so as to have the proper 50 watts per sq ft , but first make sure environment`s dialed , and you`re off to the races....

Good luck and holler if I can help.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Good to hear I've been doing it right. Thanks for input. I'm an interwebtard so hopefully I can get some pics up soon. I don't even know how to like or edit yet.

non

Veteran
redclover, you need more posts for like- and edit-features(50), looking forward to the cmh vert pics.

redclover

redclover, you need more posts for like- and edit-features(50), looking forward to the cmh vert pics.
Right now with my perp, the top DZ is lined up with tops of 2 footers...the bottom is lined up with the rest, and a hair above seedlings...which don't seem to mind. It's in a cold Midwest basement, so underneath fan is off. 66 degrees ambien temp and 74 deg 12" from side of bare bulb. I'm liking this 12/12 from start with vert. All new and exciting stuff.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Inorder to in courage maximum vertical growth till the end of stretch.
Then.. Ya drop the bulb to the center to feed the mass nodes created.

Is how I understand it and (it) works great ...
assuming one wants to encourage stretch, wouldn't it be more efficient/effective to hang a bulb with reflector horizontally till the end of stretch then? course that theory wouldn't be effective for dougnut style but for trees, might this be more effective?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like to keep my bulb vertical for a few reasons. One being temps. No way I could run 1200 watts horizontal in my room.
Also the plants need time to get used to the vert light, IMO. The branches that will form the wall come from both the top and bottom of the plant....so those branches near the bottom can benefit from the vertical light alot more than they would in a flat grow.

I like to keep the top of the light at the top of my plants and move the light up as the plants grow. Keep in mind, the light is hung upside down, so the top is actually the bottom. The most direct light is hitting the tops and still getting considerable light to the bottom of the plant.

As the plant grows, raise the light up inch by inch and use whatever training methods you use to make a wall or donut.

Hope that makes sense. I'll see if I have any pics that explain this as well....

found one.

My bulb is the same height as the highest branch on the plant to the left.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

:tiphat:

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
reason i ask is i been runnin checkerboard with 4 plants and 5 lights. big buds but i want higher yields. fookin electric in cali is killer. think im gonna change up to a doughnut style next run as i think it is more efficient.. 2 600w bulbs stacked bulb end to bulb end. if stretch encouragement will increase my yield, im thinking a parabolic reflector horizontally over the doughnut with a 600w untill end of stretch might work well, while leaving top bulb socket even with canopy.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone ever tried super cropping towards bulb?

I did quite a bit with my last doughnuts...
From just a touch to way over board= stalled...
Towards and away from the light...
In veg-flowering...

Working on refining my tech with this run but I have found away from the light to work better for me(Encourages them to stand back up).

For the most part the pools im running now have had the tops pinched every 3rd day... If the tops not ready I pinch the 2-3-4th internode.
then hit the top the next round.... Works great for me...

IMO Super cropping is one of those "hands on" techniques that depends on the strain rather than your fingers...

D

DHF

reason i ask is i been runnin checkerboard with 4 plants and 5 lights. big buds but i want higher yields. fookin electric in cali is killer. think im gonna change up to a doughnut style next run as i think it is more efficient.. 2 600w bulbs stacked bulb end to bulb end. if stretch encouragement will increase my yield, im thinking a parabolic reflector horizontally over the doughnut with a 600w untill end of stretch might work well, while leaving top bulb socket even with canopy.
Back when I learned howta grow big plants MG , we were taught to veg with horizontal hoods to stack nodes and laterals while keeping internode spacing to a minimum till "tit`s high" around 32-36" tall from top of buckets , and then put em in the big room and pull the trigger 12/12.....and....

With everything on the walls and ceilings covered in reflectix , the bulb was held at the tops of the plants and moved up as they exploded up as well as out till end of stretch to encourage as much vertical growth as possible for more weight potential by end of cycle.....but....

We only used 50/50 Sat/Ind hybrids cuz indica dominant hybrids never stretch up much with bare bulbs , but rather mostly sideways toward the light stimulus , and even the proper hybrids will stretch more sideways if vegged with bare bulbs again from growing toward said light stimulus.....that said....

If growing bigger plants with the right hybrid I advise horizontal veg with at least 400 watt MH , and even when I switched to increased plant numbers , I STILL followed my old learning and blasted my pre-veglings with T-5`s right down on top of em to as stated above , stack nodes and laterals before being put in the bloom rooms to explode during stretch FTW....

Hope yas understand better now Mojave....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

redclover

Wish I had a light meter. Tell you what and where the best lighting is at distance. I guess I could rent it out and make some money back :)

D

DHF

Wish I had a light meter. Tell you what and where the best lighting is at distance. I guess I could rent it out and make some money back :)
Digital light meters are part of every serious growers equipment rc , and perfect distances from bare bulbs are well documented for 600`s and 1000`s that`re the most used across the board....Just takes a lil homework....

There is little to NO light emitted directly beneath or above bare bulbs , but the 360 degree sideways light along with proper watts per sq ft takes care of the plants needs guaranteed.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

redclover

I'm not trying to hog, just trying to get that post count ;) I just experimented with an 'all chest no ass' supercrop. I know the plants adjust towards light on there own, but I love my mooseknuckles.

lost360

Man I read this stuff I'm thinking I need to set up like you guys are doing would 3 around each 400 do or would it be best to stack the lights and go tall ?

redclover

Depends how big those 3 are and your space. Can you get all of them around a 400 in one or two rows?

I like the idea of a vert light mover. Is there any way/link where you don't need a horizontal rail?

lost360

I'm going to build a box it run this jest waiting for taxes to get here. I'll keep reading and post my thoughts to see if it will work thanks

redclover

I'm going to build a box it run this jest waiting for taxes to get here. I'll keep reading and post my thoughts to see if it will work thanks

That's where it all starts my in common vert friend! I'm currently thinking of a way to surround light with those new geopot rectangular raised bed pots. Then add a light mover. The supercropping toward light is amazing...all front no back technique!!!

coldcanna

Veteran
Ayo DHF, and anyone else for that matter... Given said rule that tip of bulb sits at the top of canopy until end of stretch, has anyone ever tried using horizontal hoods during early flower to let them climb and then drop to vert status to plump em up on the home stretch? I would think that your losing precious lumens with the bulk of the light heading over the canopy into the wall. I'm interested to hear what ya'll have to say

redclover

Here's my vert beginnings...12/12 from seed perp. I noticed a bit more light coming from bottom than top with this 860w CMH. Getting great results with new LOS, light, and vert. Can't wait till another run with veg time! Here's all my bushes.

I plan on another deck and a light mover. Sorry for the amateur photography.

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
That looks like a great garden redclover :)

Can't wait until you flip that switch and everything goes BOOM!!!!

Keep it going and thanks for sharing, nice pics.

Budelight