What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

G

guest121295

When I first started hanging vert bare bulbs, I put one where I had the space and let nature take its course.I'd always run hor hoods enclosed in glass being afraid that if I was out working on a fishing boat for several days a bulb might blow and burn down my shop...Anyway I saw what happened around my 1st vert bulb so I added a second and a third and so on.I never went out on a scallop dragger again...I can't, I'm too busy cutting!! I'm taking down a vert grown Nevilles cutting and honestly its putting a big kink in my life, its going to take me 2 weeks to trim the thing right.I pinned the plant to the wall and let the verts pound it.Now I have too much bud again, it comes in faster than I can cut it, granted I'm partially handicapped with my right hand but still I can trim decently.I think you need to experiment a bit and find the zone.Keep those goggles on kids!!!!:)

Suspect

Veteran
Ordered a new tent online today, can't wait to get my projects running again.
I used to have a 100x100x200 tent with 400W barebulb, ordered a 90x90x180 for the same wattage, hope I can handle the heat tho..
More to come in my diary :)

bChiefing

vert is king. cant argue when there are limitations but its the easiest to set up imo! thanks to all the info in here fellow Ic'ers

This was a good read. Long, but good. I think I may start my inside grow in a vert setting. I see myself stealing Marlo's netting method on the wall. I am really feeling that. I expect that I will be using coco and smart pots. I am going to purcase two 600 watt lamps on Monday. I will have to wait untill the following Monday to purchase an extractor fan. I can not make up my mind if I want to frame up a closet or just buy one of them Secret Jardin tent setups. I will probably do some more reading for a while before I select a strain. I worry about Indicas shortness in vert but that is the buzz that I like. Has anybody ran BF's Violator Kush in vert yet?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great read.. Looking to try a Vert with a 400hps next to a couple Scrog. This read helped with some ? 'S

Thank y'all...

C

canon

Having just gone Vert. before finding this thread.
Holly shites! Awesome read!

Thanks to everyone that posted. You all gave me much "food for thought".

Thanks all. :thank you:

skyview

I think this is a great thread. For many reasons, I almost always like new products and techniques that make things more efficient.

cravin morehead

Veteran
i don't run vert. but i've been checking it out. why, because we all should know all kinds of different techs to be well rounded growers.
i got a question, hopefully it doesn't piss people off here. actually, i don't care if it pisses people off. seems like people are a little sensitive around here(icmag) lately. when growing vert, do you get loose popcorn type buds on the back side of the plant? like horizontal growers get down low? if so, do you guys trim it like we 'lollipop'??

cm

cm

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
i don't run vert. but i've been checking it out. why, because we all should know all kinds of different techs to be well rounded growers.
i got a question, hopefully it doesn't piss people off here. actually, i don't care if it pisses people off. seems like people are a little sensitive around here(icmag) lately. when growing vert, do you get loose popcorn type buds on the back side of the plant? like horizontal growers get down low? if so, do you guys trim it like we 'lollipop'??

cm

cm

G`day CM
The vert in a Stadium with plants situated in the sweet spot of the lamp is a great system . Esp if you have heat issues and can`t run AC . Just don`t be misled by the cubic meterage described in some of the set up info .

The fancy lil charts and diagrams illustrating the light spread from a vert bulb are BS for starters . The sphere of light is no way the lovely symmetrical bubble in the diagrams ...
A 600 watter will be good for a 3 foot space from the tip of the bulb up wards . Below the tip of the lamp the lumens drop off significantly . Easily seen with the naked eye .
Trellising , staking or a dough nut set up is a must . After the 1st time a big cola falls over and gets to close to a lamp and fries , hopefully we learn our lesson .

re loli popping
Yes you will get results if you vegg vert style as well . That way trimming and training can be done to put more bud sites out in the light and not shaded by the plant itself .

EB

C

canon

Cravin-
I'm new at vertical, but not growing.
I'm trying the donut setup. Seems good so far but it's early.
I'll be testing all that I can think of. Including defoliation of the light side, LST, ST, FIM, and what not.
I'm running a 10 place perpetual 2 in, 2 out, every 2 weeks. All with Autoflowers. 56 X 56 inch grow space

I love a CHALLENGE. :biggrin:

index.php

T

that smell

skyview, you want to adjust your veg time and your pot size according to you space limitations and available light. If you want to just grow 6 or 8 big plants around you light , from the floor up-veg long and pot up to bigger sizes. if you want more , smaller plants -veg less and use smaller pots. its truly that simple.You dont want to be too crowded, but you dont want wasted space either. Knowing your plants determines that. If able use floor to ceiling tho,thats the benefit of vert. stack'em up (if light available)

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I will be converting my cabinet grow to vertical donut because of the advise and recommendations from the community.

Any advise for someone who has trained their 2-month veged plants under a horizontal light and screen, on best practices to switch to vert? Should I flip to 12/12 when I convert to vertical or give them some time (how much) getting used to vertical before flowering them out?

Cheers,
BeL

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Just read through this informative thread! I too am thinking of converting to vertical growing... I read in the beginning of this thread to do it correctly you need to veg vertically as well. I have two 4 x 4 tents, one for veg and one for flower. I have a 400w HPS, and 4 LEDs in the flower tent right now. Would I still be able to put the LEDs above the plants in the flower tent? Maybe I could lay the 4' t5 on its side, and I could put a couple CFLs in those reflector bowls above the plants in the veg tent? I already have them, and use them sometimes. So I guess it really would be Vertical/Horizontal growing. Thanks for the info!

Lonely Pint

My Vert Experience

My Vert Experience

Hey guys, Great thread. I must have read it a dozen times over the last couple of years. Always something to learn, never enough time, eh.
I started to grow a couple of years ago, got all the stuff. And a nice big shiny reflector too, well it was the best on the market, hehe.
So, as you know, there is plenty of time to read while your waiting on your first harvest....Impatiently!
That's where I found out about vert. "Once you Blah Blah..." Yeah right. The internet is full of twats, it's also got the very best of knowledge that us humans have discovered. The secret is to weed out the bull from the gold.
"So they can't all be lying" I said. In for a penny. That lovely shiny reflector will have to go.

The plan, there always has to be a plan, was to grow "MY" strain. The reason I got into growing, and the strain that go me back into smoking after a four year break, Nevilles Haze.
Not the most common strain grown, never mind grown vert. But hey, I want it. It has a great stretch, obviously. But can I cover the footprint? We'll see..

With a 600 and a 250 I knew I had plenty of light for my 4x4 tent. An 18" floor fan (too big), and a 6" outake, exchanging air at 100 times an hour, 11 litre coco DTW and a nice 3.1.4. two part base.

Popped the seeds, and kept them under a 96 watt T5 for the first 4 weeks, the last was week one of 12/12. After another few weeks the boys were removed and I was left with 5 girls. I didn't think they would cover the canopy with it being such a sparse plant.
picture.php

With a bit of training they did, boy did they..
picture.php

I couldn't believe the amount of budsites, I was like a kid, so exited. I had to get them as spaced out as possible. I reckoned with 5 plants and 850 watts, I might get around 20 ounces. 4 a plant, with this strain, I'd be pleased as punch.
They averaged 8 ounces a plant. Yep, 8.
picture.php

That^^ is the biggest yielder, 330 grams.
So I realised that the strain I love likes the way I like to grow...VERTICAL...
All I need is a pint pot of roots, 8 nodes and the cut about 6" high. Then it's into flower, and goes to 2 1/2 foot. Gives me more than I could ever have hoped for. From seed to harvest was 5 months, with a total of 950 watts for veg and flower, and they gave me 41 ounces, plus pickings.

So a fussy, low yielding, long flowering strain can be tamed by hanging your light vertically. Well that and listening to the people in this section. It's where I have learned, and continue to do so.
Thank you to all of you who have contributed to all of the vert threads, there's a great camaraderie amongst you. And the biggest gold mine around.
Here's the latest one coming out.
picture.php

Cheers:thank you: