What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Beanhoarder Seeds?

FireIn.TheSky

Crossing commercial hybrids isn't breeding. There is no shortage of these types.

This describes like 98% of all seed varieites available.

Even the best "real breeders" are guilty of this.

There is such a small percentage of strains available that have been bred for a purpose, most everything is wham bam thank you ma'am.

At least beanho prices his accordingly and isn't asking top dollar for pollen chucks

Last edited:

Cuzin_Dave

The really sad truth is that there has not been anything like actual cannabis breeding occurring in decades. For example Northern Lights was a remarkable strain created in the USA. Northern Lights wound up going to the Netherlands in clone form and the seed houses spent their time looking for one breeding male from several NL cuts. NL went on to become one of the main foundational seed lines for later Dutch commercial hybrids. One seriously doubts that there are any breeders even casually interested in investigating what made this strain so great or isolating potentially remarkable phenotypes. It would not be commercially rewarding for anyone out there to wrack their brain on that one for example. There is no shortage of mystical cuts these days that have some magically wonderful and mathematically impossible to replicate in seed form qualities. Another one are these near famous breeders capable of breeding 50 or more strains simultaneously.

Morphote

Veteran
The really sad truth is that there has not been anything like actual cannabis breeding occurring in decades. For example Northern Lights was a remarkable strain created in the USA. Northern Lights wound up going to the Netherlands in clone form and the seed houses spent their time looking for one breeding male from several NL cuts. NL went on to become one of the main foundational seed lines for later Dutch commercial hybrids. One seriously doubts that there are any breeders even casually interested in investigating what made this strain so great or isolating potentially remarkable phenotypes. It would not be commercially rewarding for anyone out there to wrack their brain on that one for example. There is no shortage of mystical cuts these days that have some magically wonderful and mathematically impossible to replicate in seed form qualities. Another one are these near famous breeders capable of breeding 50 or more strains simultaneously.

Found this for you:

When I first got the NL varieties, there were 8 types, 1-8.
They came with descriptions, which I published in my catalogue. These descriptions may not correlate with what later developed. The original intention was to purchase seeds from the US NL growers. It didn't work out and supply dried up. I kept the lines separate and inbred them. NL1 and NL2 stabilised into distinct types and NL5 only produced one unique individual.
NL1 was a full blood Afghan indica. One thick main stem, dark green leaves, modest yield with nuggety buds, a little coarse with good resin production, which when ripe went golden. The high was narcotic. The seeds ranged from tiny to massive. I used to love the big ones. Large fat heavily and darkly mottled seeds. Selecting for these seeds made this Afghan even coarser. It was fun to show people these seeds.
The best line of NL1 actually came from the smaller seeded types, better high and bud structure.
There weren't many pure indica lines around in those days. Big Bud, Hash Plant and G13 were pure indicas in my estimation, but were cuttings. NL1 was the only good pure Afghani male line I had.( there was Sams Afghani#1, but that was toxic in a bad way) The NL2 was a Kush.
I put the NL1 out there as a pure strain. I wasn't popular. People would tell me, "give me the pure strains", but if it cost them 10% of their yield they would complain, well try 50%.
The pure indica hybrids were more popular. NL1 x HP and NL1 x G13 were the best. At least people could use the word pure (very popular). But they were good!

I expect that a lot of people holding what they believe to be pure indicas today, would find, if the truth be known, that the sire line traces back to NL1.
N.

Thought you might like to hear it from the horses mouth.

M.

T

thesloppy

I can't personally vouch for Beanho's breeding skills other than saying I liked the haze mix pack I bought many years ago, but there's at least 3-4 strains of his on HD that explicitly mention breeding & selecting the parent plants out past multiple generations, so he appears to be doing a little more work than just pollen chucking popular hybrids.

knuckles

Veteran
I've got three females from the sweet jack x blueberry cross..I post some pics later (if I remember)they're about three weeks in flower.

HeriMarry

I've got three females from the sweet jack x blueberry cross..I post some pics later (if I remember)they're about three weeks in flower.

I just ordered 3 packs of those, I'll be watching an hope to see a smoke report in the spring.

Also, if you took clones, did they clone fast or take some time?

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I had read many years ago that the afghan 1 from Sam was just straight up narcotic high, total head and body smack, I would imagine this would feel toxic to feel in a coma.

knuckles

Veteran
Not sure about the quality of the smoke, as these are from seed and I did not take clones...they're fairly uniform in the structure and how much they stretched..here are some pics..sorry about the quality.

HeriMarry

Any smell yet? I think the one thing that peaked my interest the most in beanho's description was the maple syrup in the flavor.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice plants Knuckles! The foxtail one certainly looks jackish. Looking forward to the smoke report as well.

There are about 25 beanho crosses that sound great. Just never enough time.

Someone mentioned the haze mix pack. How did that turn out?

Also has anyone grown any of the pck hybrids?

knuckles

Veteran
Checked my notes and it is approaching 13 weeks of flower,the others threw nanners late in flower..