What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

eyesdownchronic

Thanks everyone...

renne, I have two 1" holes in the top of the sidewalls, and six 1/4" drainage holes in the bottom.

Found some bud rot on the insides of some of the buds hanging in the cabinet: CSI Bubba, Three Queens and Mendocino Purple Kush all afflicted. Looks like maybe a couple ounces total...so far.......

I chopped everything tonight and hung it. Moved everything out of the cabinet and separated anything with visible bud rot, everything else went in the grow room. It's all I smell now, can't tell who has it or not. Lights unplugged, fans still chugging at full speed. Dry that stuff out as quick as possible now. Damnit.

:hide:

I'll be back in a few days or weeks. Here's an MPK nuglet and a ladybug I snapped before panic-harvesting...

View Image

View Image

View Image

Peace
DM

damn... thats a bummer, i can relate...

i wonder if the drought stress had some impact, everything was looking so good.

G

Double dang!! Sorry to hear aboot da bud rot!!

Thanks brudda... Just goes to show, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Thanks Dopey!
I have the book worms eat my garbage, bought it awhile ago and have been meaning to set up a worm farm I am just trying to figure out what’s best
Cheers Renne

Using the African Night Crawlers as I did, presented a unique set of challenges trying to keep them happy in the basement. I'm not sure I won that battle, either, quite honestly. There are a gang of red wigglers in there now, which like it cooler than ANCs, but the ANCs are still there kickin', too. The substrate near the bottom of the bin is around 80F, while the top is closer to 73-74F.

For starters, I'd maybe recommend not using ANCs, at least for me with a single bin in the basement. Red wigglers would be easier to keep happy, I imagine...

damn... thats a bummer, i can relate...

i wonder if the drought stress had some impact, everything was looking so good.

Probably, yes, along with hanging so many flowers in that cab without adequate airflow maybe...

I've got about 200g dried, good buds in jars. Mostly VG Bubba and Sugar Puffs. Trashed 36g so far due to rot, and Three Queens may be a complete loss...we'll see. CSI Bubba not looking good, either. MPK not sure yet.

Trimming the good buds was very therapeutic after being so upset about the bud rot. There's maybe another 200g worth of flowers left to trim after they're dried, but some of that might get tossed, too.

Will make final clone and seed selections for the next run here in the next couple of weeks after everything is jarred.

Peace
DM

eyesdownchronic

Thanks brudda... Just goes to show, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Using the African Night Crawlers as I did, presented a unique set of challenges trying to keep them happy in the basement. I'm not sure I won that battle, either, quite honestly. There are a gang of red wigglers in there now, which like it cooler than ANCs, but the ANCs are still there kickin', too. The substrate near the bottom of the bin is around 80F, while the top is closer to 73-74F.

For starters, I'd maybe recommend not using ANCs, at least for me with a single bin in the basement. Red wigglers would be easier to keep happy, I imagine...

Probably, yes, along with hanging so many flowers in that cab without adequate airflow maybe...

I've got about 200g dried, good buds in jars. Mostly VG Bubba and Sugar Puffs. Trashed 36g so far due to rot, and Three Queens may be a complete loss...we'll see. CSI Bubba not looking good, either. MPK not sure yet.

Trimming the good buds was very therapeutic after being so upset about the bud rot. There's maybe another 200g worth of flowers left to trim after they're dried, but some of that might get tossed, too.

Will make final clone and seed selections for the next run here in the next couple of weeks after everything is jarred.

Peace
DM

hey, it sounds like you were able to pull a respectable harvest. ive had this weird thing under led where the pistils on some of my nugs will start to mold a little bit, but the nugs themselves are intact.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I use african night crawlers in the containers the plants are growing in, they like to tunnel deep underground as opposed to the red wrigglers that are surface dwellers so are good for a worm bin.

Afaik I can't really see african night crawlers thriving in a worm bin unless there is a really substantial volume of soil provided.

G

hey, it sounds like you were able to pull a respectable harvest. ive had this weird thing under led where the pistils on some of my nugs will start to mold a little bit, but the nugs themselves are intact.

Thanks for the weird tidbit about LEDs, I keep hearing all kinds of strange things in comparison to HIDs...

So the RH in my room dropped down to sub-40% the last week of flower, and I'm pretty sure that, combined with the drought stress, was enough for bud rot to take hold in 2 of the 5 plants...I may skip the drought stress next round and get a solid grow here under my belt before trying again.

I use african night crawlers in the containers the plants are growing in, they like to tunnel deep underground as opposed to the red wrigglers that are surface dwellers so are good for a worm bin.

Afaik I can't really see african night crawlers thriving in a worm bin unless there is a really substantial volume of soil provided.

I always read the ANCs like the top 4" or so...but I find them all the way down 6-7" at the bottom of my bin...also where it's warmest due to the heat pad. I actually got another one of those Plano bins, so I'll make a duplicate and start making more ewc. Maybe try to separate some red wigglers from the first bin and get them going exclusively in the new one...

Prelim harvest report
Good news: 3 plants were completely unaffected by the bud rot, Bad news: the other 2 were total losses.

Total harvested dry weight: 16.5oz (462g, or .888gpw)

Total write-offs: 5.8oz (162g, or 35% of total harvest)

CSI Bubba
45g - total loss

Three Queens
117g - total loss

Mendocino Purple Kush
22g
Went 60 days
Still smells like grape jelly, can't wait to taste her!
picture.php

Sugar Puffs
90g
Went 70 days
Pain in the butt when trimming. Pressed some rosin from her today and tastes good, grape bubblegum. Buds are super light and airy, not a huge fan.
picture.php

VG Bubba
188g
Went 70 days
Great looking buds and her rosin is super tasty. Dried flowers don't taste great...yet...still pretty fresh. Hoping the cure will help with that.
picture.php

picture.php

And some vagrants loitering in bed... MPK top, CSI Bubba bottom. Just put them under the big light tonight. Moved from under the 90w HLG, now under 180w at 24" away. I might not run this CSI Bubba again. Super bummed about the rot, but I still have 5 seeds I think? No more MPK seeds, so I might give her one last chance to produce more than 22g. If some LST and longer veg time doesn't help production, I don't know...
picture.php

Peace
DM

eyesdownchronic

Thanks for the weird tidbit about LEDs, I keep hearing all kinds of strange things in comparison to HIDs...

So the RH in my room dropped down to sub-40% the last week of flower, and I'm pretty sure that, combined with the drought stress, was enough for bud rot to take hold in 2 of the 5 plants...I may skip the drought stress next round and get a solid grow here under my belt before trying again.

I always read the ANCs like the top 4" or so...but I find them all the way down 6-7" at the bottom of my bin...also where it's warmest due to the heat pad. I actually got another one of those Plano bins, so I'll make a duplicate and start making more ewc. Maybe try to separate some red wigglers from the first bin and get them going exclusively in the new one...

Prelim harvest report
Good news: 3 plants were completely unaffected by the bud rot, Bad news: the other 2 were total losses.

Total harvested dry weight: 16.5oz (462g, or .888gpw)

Total write-offs: 5.8oz (162g, or 35% of total harvest)

CSI Bubba
45g - total loss

Three Queens
117g - total loss

Mendocino Purple Kush
22g
Went 60 days
Still smells like grape jelly, can't wait to taste her!
View Image

Sugar Puffs
90g
Went 70 days
Pain in the butt when trimming. Pressed some rosin from her today and tastes good, grape bubblegum. Buds are super light and airy, not a huge fan.
View Image

VG Bubba
188g
Went 70 days
Great looking buds and her rosin is super tasty. Dried flowers don't taste great...yet...still pretty fresh. Hoping the cure will help with that.
View Image

View Image

And some vagrants loitering in bed... MPK top, CSI Bubba bottom. Just put them under the big light tonight. Moved from under the 90w HLG, now under 180w at 24" away. I might not run this CSI Bubba again. Super bummed about the rot, but I still have 5 seeds I think? No more MPK seeds, so I might give her one last chance to produce more than 22g. If some LST and longer veg time doesn't help production, I don't know...
View Image

Peace
DM
not bad at all! that vg bubba looks killer.

Mattbho

Mosses is hilarious .. lol maybe if I had some rosin lol..

What cha smoking Smokey hope everyone got lots of xmas presents .

To bad about the rot. I didn't like the look of that sugar puff anyway--looking like a money maker type of plant 5lb a light ..

My blumats rocking on cruise control about to hack some buds soon . A.b.f peeps. always b flowerin

I'm thinking that bed will be better the 2nd round all the life established and all.

G

Mosses is hilarious .. lol maybe if I had some rosin lol..

What cha smoking Smokey hope everyone got lots of xmas presents .

To bad about the rot. I didn't like the look of that sugar puff anyway--looking like a money maker type of plant 5lb a light ..

My blumats rocking on cruise control about to hack some buds soon . A.b.f peeps. always b flowerin

I'm thinking that bed will be better the 2nd round all the life established and all.

What's up dude? Xmas was pretty chill, got these sweet marble tower sets and ultimate fort builder kits "for the kids" hahaha Hope you had a rockin' time too!

Love the blumat, trust the blumat. All praise be to the blumat! Speaking of 2nd round, I pulled up the 5 stumps today, de-thatched the winter rye, added amendments and just scratched them into the surface before watering everything in. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I put MPK in the bed.

I've decided to re-run Mendocino Purple Kush only...everyone else is out. That leaves 4 spots and only 35 different strains to choose from in my seed stash.

Here we go!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm doing 2 of the Sowahh seeds since they're not feminized...hoping for 1 and 1. Just 1 each of the others. I'm really excited about everything. My expectations for the 91 x TK are quite high. I have his Gator Bait, too, which is TK x 91, but it seems there are lots of keepers to be found in any progeny from the reversed TK pollen. I don't really know, honestly. It's hard to see 4 months into the future, but I'm tryin'!

Peace
DM

G

Thanks bud!

After 22 hours in paper towels, all 5 seeds cracked open and all but Chem D S1 had white taps sticking out...

Here's Chem 91 ready to be above ground already lol
picture.php

And Chem 91 x Triangle Kush getting a jump on it, too...
picture.php

Some Sowahh too
picture.php

Line 'em up!
picture.php

MPK almost leveled off down to 62% now, maybe just another day or two of burping.
picture.php

Peace
DM

renne

Looking Great Dopey, really excited to tag along for this next run of yours definitely pulling up a chair! You got some fire there to play with and looks like your off to a good start
Cheers Renne

G

Hey renne, thanks!

Got a couple babies breaking ground tonight. I'll say tomorrow is officially day 1 for:

Chem 91
picture.php

and Sowahh 1 in the blue cup
picture.php

Things are groovy under the dome with the 18w cranked up to...well...18 I guess! Hahaha. 80F and 90% RH holding steady. I found one of the plastic airflow slider things had a gap where it's supposed to meet the lid, some slight pressure on top with a water bottle closed it right up.

MPK responding well to her training...I think 3z is a good goal for her this round.
picture.php

Also thinking about adding some pvc verticals to build a screen. Canopy control was a fail last round lol

Peace
DM

G

Fasten your seatbelt, it's gonna be a funky ride!

Got 4 of the 5 new ones standing up out of the dirt 58 hours after hitting paper towels. Only Chem D is left to show any activity.

Sowahh 2 in the red cup
picture.php

and Chem 91 x Triangle Kush too.
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Less than 5 hours ago, there was the slightest little disturbance in the top of the soil in Chem Ds cup...now, this!

picture.php

That 91 is stretching more than any of the others...
picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Yesterday, I used a sterile razor to help unsheath the cotyledons on Chem 91 S1 and Sowahh 1. Today, I helped Chem D with the same.

Day 2
picture.php

I also did the first rosin press of Mendocino Purple Kush tonight; very happy to report that it tastes like grape candy and actually came out purple...but I wonder if the color is due to the fact that the flowers are still quite fresh. I hadn't opened the jar in a couple of days, and the RH was chillin' at 62%, figured it would be OK to press. I didn't even weigh the result, it's so miniscule...maybe 0.5g???
picture.php

That's from 6.5g of flower (close to 1/3 of the total harvest of this plant). 2 presses, both @ 190F for 2:30 and 1:30, respectively. Very disappointed in that, but I can keep that jar closed for a month or two and try again later. Lots of Bubs and Puffs to work my way through! Haha

Peace
DM

G

That roz looks like fiiire!!

Just wish there was more of it! I'm glad to be running her again, give me a chance to get a proper harvest out of her before deciding whether or not she belongs in my harem.

Picked up the PVC and parts yesterday to build out the ScrOG. I'm thinking of making it 15-16" above the soil surface, anticipating a 2-3x stretch on some of these girls. I have 42" of vertical space for plant growth, but could always find a few more inches if need be. I'll just let MPK grow right through the screen, since she won't stretch much.

Noticed the Chem D seedling had little cupped leaves this morning. Can't see too clearly, but there might be two growth spots in there...I'll try for a better picture later today.
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

It looks like the Chem D seedling doesn't have two growth spots after all...just the way the leaves were crinkled up made it look super weird. Her growth is looking more normal now at day 5.

picture.php

She's the short one of the group, everyone else has stretched an extra inch or two comparatively. Her first set of leaves look pretty cool to me, excited to watch her grow!

Here's some flower rosin from VG Bubba. This stuff is so tasty, I'm still getting chocolate and tootsie roll flavors. It's quite dry immediately following a squish, super easy to collect.

picture.php

Peace
DM

Latest posts

Latest posts