What's new

Bangi Haze

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks @dubi for taking the time to address this unfortunate misnomer. Have you ever consider adding this valuable historical piece of information to the description in order to dispell any ambiguity for future customers since haze is a word that bears a very peculiar meaning in the cannabis world ?

After 20 years i have no plans to change its name.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to know your old Bangi Haze harvest still had some of the original uplifting effects of the flowers @early_bird I rarely let harvests last that long 😅but when it happens i use it mainly for the healing effects of the CBN rather than to get very high.

Thanks for joining the thread with your Bangi Haze female @Hasch :) She is a happy healthy plant to face flowering stage. I won't do any defoliation, her structure, branching and budsites distribution allow good light penetration.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Can you post some pics of the suckers please,?

Chupones or literally translated suckers like revegeta666 did are lower branches that at the start of flowering process are still very close to the main stem, without producing real budsites and without strong lateral branching to hold buds with weight later. Such not fully defined lower stems should be removed since they suck the energy of the plant that should be focused to flower production on main stem and on well defined side branches. This is practice is widely used in agriculture in ornamental and fruit production.

A pic of lower 'chupones' branches in a big olive tree that farmers usually remove.

Attachments

• Chupones.jpg
    Chupones.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 108

Hasch

learning and laughing
Such not fully defined lower stems should be removed
🤔
Thank you for explaining in detail dubi 🙏🏼

When you see my last pic, the lower branches were trained to reach up to form a more even canopy.
Does that make sense?

Or is removing those side branches better for the bud development of the main branches?

EnjoyingLife

Chupones or literally translated suckers like revegeta666 did are lower branches that at the start of flowering process are still very close to the main stem, without producing real budsites and without strong lateral branching to hold buds with weight later. Such not fully defined lower stems should be removed since they suck the energy of the plant that should be focused to flower production on main stem and on well defined side branches. This is practice is widely used in agriculture in ornamental and fruit production.

A pic of lower 'chupones' branches in a big olive tree that farmers usually remove.
I think I have a hard time deciding between well defined side branch versus sucker.
What I gather from this is, it'd be a side branch that is closer to the main stem than another side branch.
The more defined side branch having more obvious structure to it?

Removing the lower branches is sometimes called lollipopping?

EnjoyingLife

@EnjoyingLife
Not sure what your asking, am not native English speaking
Here some pics of lower budsites
View attachment 18889522 View attachment 18889523

As you can see, I have been cleaning up the bottom part of the plant while she grew.
Those suckers got nipped in the bud 😉

View attachment 18889524

I see. Thanks!
I would have thought cutting the plant like that bottom pic would confuse it but I guess not lol...

It looks like you took the budsite/sucker and the fan leaf that goes with it?

EnjoyingLife

🤔
Thank you for explaining in detail dubi 🙏🏼

When you see my last pic, the lower branches were trained to reach up to form a more even canopy.
Does that make sense?

Or is removing those side branches better for the bud development of the main branches?
Side branches and main branches confuses me.
I know the top of an untrained plant is the cola and this has dominance.
To me anything coming off the main stem is side branching.
Until you reach closer to the cola where typically as the plant progresses the flowers stack seemingly becoming one thus the cola.
What are main branches?
I am a complete noob and if my questions are to much just let me know.

revegeta666

Can you post some pics of the suckers please,?
From Google
51f0da86e7c0313fb9ab3e74f8c06251d7a4ac0f.jpeg

b94d841bdb07e640b018f3e2e9d7c5134b3b645c_2_374x500.jpeg

That is a sucker. If you leave little side shoots like this on the lower part of the main branches, the plant will waste resources on them that woul otherwise be used to help make a proper bud on the top. Leaving them also means less energy to build a solid branch that can hold weight. Also they are a waste of time to trim and if you're growing one little auto you may not care but when growing a lot of plants indoors nobody wants to waste their time trimming that stuff for hours just to end up on the hash pile.

EnjoyingLife

From Google
View attachment 18890445
View attachment 18890446

That is a sucker. If you leave little side shoots like this on the lower part of the main branches, the plant will waste resources on them that woul otherwise be used to help make a proper bud on the top. Leaving them also means less energy to build a solid branch that can hold weight. Also they are a waste of time to trim and if you're growing one little auto you may not care but when growing a lot of plants indoors nobody wants to waste their time trimming that stuff for hours just to end up on the hash pile.
So basically the lower branches. Isn't this lollipopping?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to understand lol...

revegeta666

So basically the lower branches. Isn't this lollipopping?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to understand lol...
I guess so more or less 🤷‍♂️ suckers is the name people use in agriculture, for these useless branches that will do nothing of value and will take away from the important part of the plant. This is not the same as "regular" lower branches.

When you do lollipopping you could also take away budsites that are not suckers I guess, so they're not synonyms. Lollipopping is just making a "lollipop" out of a branch. It is yet another dumb name made up by the cannabis industry. It's just pruning.... what they call topping is also just pruning. For some reason there needs to be a dumb name for everything related to cannabis. "Techs" they call it lmao, like they are skateboarding tricks or something. Terms invented by people who haven't seen a plant in their lives other than weed.

If you are very new to growing as you say, you don't need to worry about these details, pruning is just pruning, it effects the distribution of hormones called auxins, which are responsible for the growth of the plant. If you cut a plant in one place, it will develop in the other places. That's the extent of the science here. Don't get caught up in silly names 👍

goingrey

I guess so more or less 🤷‍♂️ suckers is the name people use in agriculture, for these useless branches that will do nothing of value and will take away from the important part of the plant. This is not the same as "regular" lower branches.

When you do lollipopping you could also take away budsites that are not suckers I guess, so they're not synonyms. Lollipopping is just making a "lollipop" out of a branch. It is yet another dumb name made up by the cannabis industry. It's just pruning.... what they call topping is also just pruning. For some reason there needs to be a dumb name for everything related to cannabis. "Techs" they call it lmao, like they are skateboarding tricks or something. Terms invented by people who haven't seen a plant in their lives other than weed.

If you are very new to growing as you say, you don't need to worry about these details, pruning is just pruning, it effects the distribution of hormones called auxins, which are responsible for the growth of the plant. If you cut a plant in one place, it will develop in the other places. That's the extent of the science here. Don't get caught up in silly names 👍
Terminology is important in reducing ambiguity in the discussion. Topping and lollipopping may both be types of pruning but are done to get different, arguably exact opposite, results. Just saying you pruned a plant would not tell the reader what you did and why.

Topping is a widely adopted term, more forestry than cannabis links from the search engines. Lollipopping may have been coined by our community but I like it, very descriptive.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
lovely resins on those yummy buds @early_hominid :yummy: should be done soon, better harvest before rains come. She did fairly well and quality is there for sure despite not having much direct light :yes:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Excellent flower development and resins @Hasch :) Soil was maybe slightly hot in early flowering, but now perfect to reach end of flowering without undesirable deficiencies on the way.

Latest posts

Latest posts