What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Back From The Wilderness

HereIgrowagain

I thought they would be spot on for early stage of veg especially giving the extra lumens due to the 400v range, cranking as I go??? Ok, it shall remain in my basket until I find the rest of the expensive gear at the right price. Ozone sorted, just need that tent price ;) Im thinking 15 L pots 1.2x tent = 9 plants shirley lol

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I go with 12 x 11 liters myself.. but I grow in coco and 15 is a lot for coco :)

(9 x 15 = 135 liters and 12 x 11 = 132 liters - I think it's probably much the same)

JamieShoes

Veteran
strain dependant for me I get 50-85g per pot... some crazy ones have done 100+ but I never had anything of quality that yielded that much or was consistent ( I;ve had some in the past that were keeper material that were potent and yielded that highly but I was too new and didnt know how to keep mums and clone etc)... best I do now is the amnesia at about 85g x 12 per 600w.. thats probably why I bang on about it so much.. I figure anything over a box on a 600 is good going not least as I trim it within an inch of its life.. :)

Blazeee

Veteran
As jamie said i would personally use 2 600's for a 1.5x1.5 if your on a budget, if youve got some cash floating about i would look in to a double ended gavita or epap if you want to go down the 1000w route, im pretty sure you can run those up to 1150w.

And Jamie that amnesia sounds like a beast if your able to pull a box from a 600w, im not even pulling half a box from a 600 with the cheese im running, i need to step my game up. I know those hazes are heavy yielders, how long do you let her flower for? Maybe i might improve my results if i run the lemon haze cut ive got more and let her flower longer.

Im just curious why you run 12 plants/ how do you space them out, in a rectangle shape? Im not doubting you, im just curious I always thought if your using a square tent lay your pots out in a square formation, E.g. 4/9/16/25/36 if that makes sense, like give them all the same amount of space.

Cheers mate, take care :tiphat:

JamieShoes

Veteran
Hey Blazee :)

The amnesia is a hell of a producer to be fair :) I run her to 11 weeks ...I should also say that I dont pull those numbers with every strain I run, in fact it's the exception not the rule...I'm still looking for another strain to compete in my set up. I know there are big yielders out there but because of the structure of the haze crosses, I find I can get a lot more out of them in the area I have... more often I get my 1 gpw- 1.2 on a good one.. the amnesia is doing 1.7..

The reason I use 12 is that, I used to do the same as you (9/16/25) but found with some strains I could put 12 in stead of nine and get the same grams per pot (veg time being the factor) on taller, skinnier strains... if I was doing a really squat Kush I would only put 9 and let her fill the space, but amnesia is a long and lanky girl.. the formation is straight forward, its 4 rows of 3 that are staggered... I also take every pot out of the tent to water it so I rotate them daily :)

picture.php

be lucky
j :tiphat:

Last edited:

RudeDog

Veteran
I lost me bottle spending money on an adjustable ballast.

For some reason I've got a 6" RVK extractor, I can't remember where it's come from. It's a bit loud, will boxing it in expanding foam quieten it that much? I'm looking at acoustic box fans, are they any good?

Al Gee

Make sure you can keep that water cool somehow in that small space or you're gonna be hurting, otherwise, let her rip!

JamieShoes

Veteran
I lost me bottle spending money on an adjustable ballast.

For some reason I've got a 6" RVK extractor, I can't remember where it's come from. It's a bit loud, will boxing it in expanding foam quieten it that much? I'm looking at acoustic box fans, are they any good?

I use soft boxes mate (pre made ones though) theyre very quiet, especially when used with a fan controller (as I thnk someone else mentioned) ...you can buy the empty boxes too, they have foam insulation (actual foam not expanding stuff) .. I would be a bit concerned about covering an electrical appliance in expanding foam myself but I'm not very practical like some fellers... I'm not saying its not a good idea, I'm just saying I wouldnt trust myself personally not to fk it up and start a fire somehow...

tip: when buying air moving equipment, it's always quieter if you buy oversized everything and then turn it down... an 1800 m3 box fan on 1/3rd power will make a lot less noise than a 600 on full power... the bigger the pipes and the slower the air moves the quieter it is too..plus you always have the option to turn it up in hot weather to move more air...some WD40 might help too...

Blazeee

Veteran
Hey Blazee :)

The amnesia is a hell of a producer to be fair :) I run her to 11 weeks ...I should also say that I dont pull those numbers with every strain I run, in fact it's the exception not the rule...I'm still looking for another strain to compete in my set up. I know there are big yielders out there but because of the structure of the haze crosses, I find I can get a lot more out of them in the area I have... more often I get my 1 gpw- 1.2 on a good one.. the amnesia is doing 1.7..

The reason I use 12 is that, I used to do the same as you (9/16/25) but found with some strains I could put 12 in stead of nine and get the same grams per pot (veg time being the factor) on taller, skinnier strains... if I was doing a really squat Kush I would only put 9 and let her fill the space, but amnesia is a long and lanky girl.. the formation is straight forward, its 4 rows of 3 that are staggered... I also take every pot out of the tent to water it so I rotate them daily :)

View Image

be lucky
j :tiphat:

Ah I understand now, I guess by using 12 rather than 16 each plant also gains abit more space so they don't start shadowing each other out/growing in to each other, and by the looks of it you would still have some roomto work around the edges of the tent also.
I also get what you mean about the hazes bieng lanky and how having the pots like that would work, the lemon cut I runloves to grow straight up, even when I top her, where as the cheese cut I've got just loves to bush out. I might have to try staggering the pots like you suggested with the lemon and see what happens.

Cheers Jamie mate :tiphat:

HereIgrowagain

I dare say that egg box shaped foam that you can get for camera cases would be ideal once you have your box made. Think I might have a dabble once I get a spare 5 minutes lol

RudeDog

Veteran
lol yeah 20 liters is a LOT of root mass to grow too :D

Haha...I've got some 10 litre ones also. I'm going to try and pot the plants on. from 5 litre to 10 then finally in to the 20 litre. Getting the roots through the lid hole might be a problem though. where there's a will and all that....

A couple of seeds have germinated, Trainwreck and Alpha Dog x AK47. I've not checked the other two.

Three days off work now, Canna nutes arrived this morning. Veg tent is up, I'll get the Qube up today.

RudeDog

Veteran
I use soft boxes mate (pre made ones though) theyre very quiet, especially when used with a fan controller (as I thnk someone else mentioned) ...you can buy the empty boxes too, they have foam insulation (actual foam not expanding stuff) .. I would be a bit concerned about covering an electrical appliance in expanding foam myself but I'm not very practical like some fellers... I'm not saying its not a good idea, I'm just saying I wouldnt trust myself personally not to fk it up and start a fire somehow...

Jamie....Can you point me in the direction of these soft boxes? Are they the box fans?

JamieShoes

Veteran
yes mate, that might just be one brand name or something but the box fans... inside the fan is suspended and they have foam in there as well... if you google softbox fan you'll see it.. also MDF box fan and Acoustic box fan brings up the right results :)

RudeDog

Veteran
yes mate, that might just be one brand name or something but the box fans... inside the fan is suspended and they have foam in there as well... if you google softbox fan you'll see it.. also MDF box fan and Acoustic box fan brings up the right results :)

Spent a bit of time today looking at fans. I've gone for a 8" S & P inline fan... http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/sp-silent-inline-fan-td-silent-200mm-800200-5688-p.asp

The S & P runs at 19db, just what I need.

Thanks for your input mate.

JamieShoes

Veteran
no worries... looks to be a good one that... "the worlds quietest inline mix/vent fan"... sweet :D