What's new

Australian Landrace's?

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
i've read that wallyduck has created many ibls that are of australian stock and moonunit has done the same too. so there are a few australian breeders with IBLs but yeah not as common as overseas where the laws are so against them.

D

Dalaihempy

Australia had and i think a few still have many of the land races from many parts of the world growing here still we as many other country don't have ow own.

We had many lines that were not found in other places im not sure if they were collected and grown here or were breed here and grown for years and became true breeding i cant say all i know is what i saw and smoked.

Queensland heads Kondula blue Mango heads to name a few most Aussies did not care about the name of the lines Aussies had a 3 rating system it was 1/Good 2/OK 3/ Shit we had tripping heads which i believe was haze as far back as 1978 i rember.

Panama red Columbine red and Thais African you name it they were grown here we even grew for the us markets fact is we Aussies seam to be treated like the step child of the cannabis community most times but the reality is we can grow basically any strain in most places here indicas well not in the tropics Europe apart from the dam were smoking hash and basically only hash when we had sativas growing in almost every back yard in Australia.

A lot of the old school genetics are vanishing because of the modern lines as there faster but you younger guys need to be asking your uncles older cousins and so on for there genetics theirs gold in them bed side draws fellas lol.

forehead

Australia had and i think a few still have many of the land races from many parts of the world growing here still we as many other country don't have ow own.

We had many lines that were not found in other places im not sure if they were collected and grown here or were breed here and grown for years and became true breeding i cant say all i know is what i saw and smoked.

Queensland heads Kondula blue Mango heads to name a few most Aussies did not care about the name of the lines Aussies had a 3 rating system it was 1/Good 2/OK 3/ Shit we had tripping heads which i believe was haze as far back as 1978 i rember.

Panama red Columbine red and Thais African you name it they were grown here we even grew for the us markets fact is we Aussies seam to be treated like the step child of the cannabis community most times but the reality is we can grow basically any strain in most places here indicas well not in the tropics Europe apart from the dam were smoking hash and basically only hash when we had sativas growing in almost every back yard in Australia.

A lot of the old school genetics are vanishing because of the modern lines as there faster but you younger guys need to be asking your uncles older cousins and so on for there genetics theirs gold in them bed side draws fellas lol.

YES! :dance013:

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah that's it dala, i've been trying to find out as much as possible about the older stuff from the 50s to 70s that people loved so much before europe and a-dam went crazy and we got all their stuff here. i've spoken to a few friendly chaps on this thread who seem to have a lot of knowledge as well as some rarer strains so they're still out there, also spoke to a mate's dad recently who has friends in tassy that have grown since he can remember. i'll have to talk to them to suss out if they know what strain it is exactly. hopefully they do and hopefully i can get my hands on some at somepoint!

G

Guest50138

This is the problem isnt it, a lot of oldies dont know shit about storing seed for longevity.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
This is the problem isnt it, a lot of oldies dont know shit about storing seed for longevity.

that's it, should get a few of us together who can search for and then preserve these strains and breed them up to share out for others interested in helping :D

johnnygoodshoes

hi all, this is my first post on your great forum.

I'm from western australia and i remember we had some awesome strains back in the early 90s. Definately much stronger than that of oudoor grows these days.

specifically i remember:

Mango Buds - a sticky green sativa
Chocolate Thai
and the woddy smelling sativa stuff with a spicy taste
and skunk particulary the adelaide varieties

upon researching the origins of the Haze line i read an article mentioning that Shanti Baba, has family in perth WA and I realised a potential possibility that his unstable Haze genetics could well be resonisble for allot of the gene pool here in the west.

Recently Ive aquired some of the most pungent mango buds from an older mate of mine, the high took me right back to high school the taste, smell and the creeping clear high...

from the same batch of "bush" seeds (from one plant) my friend managed to grow two distinct phenos of a haze resembling plant. One with a woody smell and a spicy taste with an Up and giggly high and another sticky with the most pungent mango smell with a creaping high.

this is just a wild guess but yeah, I guess it would explain a few of the local sativa strains out here.

heres an excerpt of an articl i read on UK420

"Neville and Shantibaba began working together on breeding projects and each chose a female from a large crop of over 1000 NL5 x Haze A plants, the female Neville chose became the female half of Super Silver Haze (SSH), whereas Shantibaba's choice became the mother of Mango Haze. Shantibaba explained the selections in two posts on the mrnice.nl forum in April 2007:"

what do you guys think?

just an idea but i think it would be nice and definately explain some our awseome out door weed from yesteryear!

that and i've managed to scavend a few seeds of both the mango and the woody phenos.

bushweed

Veteran
@jonnygoodshoes, like you I went to school in WA and remember some extremely potent shit around Perth in the mid to late eighties. I've lived on the east coast now for 20 years, but rarely encountered such strong pot. Specifically I recall a purple variety that left you senseless after one small cone. That was called 'purple heads' and had purple calyxes and dark green leaves and left you gasping for breath and permanently on the edge of hilarity (maybe highland Thai or purple haze?). Another variety was a lime green colour that was sold as little green nuggets of chalk - so may have been compressed - this shit was comatose material, but whether it was Indica, I'm not sure. I have thought that these strains may have come via Neville - since he grew up in WA too and certainly travelled backwards and forth between Europe and West oz. Alternatively I've thought that the super strong gear was the natural outcome of the extreme heat, a long growing season and the proximity to Indonesia/Bali meaning the availability of wicked SE Asian landrace varieties.

In truth I suspect the latter argument more likely, purely because of the prevalence of the good shit at that time. But then again who knows what influence the King of Cannabis had back then? He's one bloke you simply can't underestimate.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Id think it was more likely coming from seed from imported weed rather than any haze stock .

The same strains , mango , thai , and some indian varieties of sativa were very prominant , and they too to our climate like ducks to water .

I dont doubt theres some good stock left from that invasion of genetics , from the occasional keen grower and good observer that managed to save some good traits , what i see left of most of the sativas from those days where i live , they are absolute rubbish , as though man has had no influence whatever to select for potency .. its practically hemp.. pretty sad really ...

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
Wrong seedboutique does not have them for sale and hasn't for a long time not sure were you get your information but it isn't helpful...

you're right it's not up there at the moment but i'm fairly sure i saw an add/listing for ducksfoot on seedboutique up until a month or two ago when my friend and i as well as someone else on here tried to purchase them but seedbou said they were out. infact i think this is the link to them i had bookmarked anyway thankyou for kindly correcting me benji. the closest thing to ducksfoot on there is wally's webbed indica cross as far as i know currently.

bushweed

Veteran
Id think it was more likely coming from seed from imported weed rather than any haze stock .

The same strains , mango , thai , and some indian varieties of sativa were very prominant , and they too to our climate like ducks to water .

I dont doubt theres some good stock left from that invasion of genetics , from the occasional keen grower and good observer that managed to save some good traits , what i see left of most of the sativas from those days where i live , they are absolute rubbish , as though man has had no influence whatever to select for potency .. its practically hemp.. pretty sad really ...

So Oz sativa stocks have deteriorated due to our amateurish breeding and selection practices? Jeez mate, better keep that quiet - there might be a few yanks reading this lol!

Well Donald if you ever stabilise any PNG gold, Mango, or trippy Thai - please let us all know:)

D

Dalaihempy

The lines we grew here before the European / dutch invasion was for the most part true breeding all the old sats i worked with were just that we never used clones we used seed we knew what we would get from the seed before it was planted unlike today's genetics were we need to select from descent numbers of seed and find a keeper and there's plenty of good stable genetics about if you have the right connections or friends still.

Not that many older growers care or bother with the net in fact few i know that grow would even waste there time with the boards if it ever becomes mj friendly watch the lines that re surface.

I

ahortator

Veteran
Hello

I've read that there is no marijuana landrace in Australia because the cannabis plant is not originally from Australia.

But if you have a strain growing there since 150 years ago, I would call it a landrace.

For example Zamal from La Reunion is considered a landrace, and it grows there since at least 200 years ago.
http://www.cannabiscafe.net/foros/showpost.php?p=2322983&postcount=3315

Old Colombian strains are landraces, but they introduced weed there only about 100 years ago.

Cannabis was introduced to Colombia just over 100 years ago, and its cultivation is deeply rooted in tradition. From Marijuana Botany, robert Connell Clarke.

http://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany3.html

African sativas are considered landraces and some of then were introduced even later than in Australia.

http://www.cannabiscafe.net/foros/showpost.php?p=2350437&postcount=80

The arrows pointing Guinea Gulf indicate 1945 and over the Congo says 1908 as the probably year of introduccition.

http://www.ndlea.gov.ng/v1/?q=content/history

Cannabis was introduced in Jamaica by the first European settlers for rope and later by the coolies workers from India.

Even in Mexico where the word Marijuana was originated, the weed was introduced.

And all were considered landraces. Why not your strain if it grew there since 150 year ago?

I hope not to be a nuisance.

Greetings from Spain