What's new

Australian Landrace's?

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
Wondering if there are any around anymore. Ive heard crazy things about you aussie's marijuana. Sounds like an Ozzie landrace would be interesting in breeding. :joint:

tuco

Good question...I know Boesi/Duck is an Aussie strain but no idea if it qualifies as a landrace.

Wallyduck might know a bit more.

G

dont know what im growing

dont know what im growing

i have 9 strains of sativa that are old school strains collected over the last 5 yrs not sure what they are maybe some one can identify them for me as my grow gets allong in to flower .....peaice out and smoke up ....! ! !

take a look at my current grow here {13 bean sea of green}

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=79374

would apreciate any info you may have on these strains like i said before the seeds were collected from some of the best weed i have got a hold of in austraila for years and yes i,ll be making seeds .....

have been thinking of spreading sum aussie love around sum of our american growers in the near future ..... and i have been crossing and breeding dope for years by the time weeds been leaglized in austraila i,ll have enough too start my own seed bank right here in brisbane-austrailia ......lmao

thats wishfull thinking
but hey we can dream

G

No there isn't but look up ABC (Australian bastard cannabis) keep in mind its not actually a landrace and more likely a mutant phenomenon that happened along the east coast at some time etc etc.....can't find all the articles must be on my flash drv but google does wonders.... Everything else originally came from somewhere else descended mostly from weed/seed bought back by surfers/hippies. There are now acclimatised true breeding strains which are around as the result of this varied seedstock having been bred......here are some I have heard of.

ABC (Hills around Canberra)
Mullumbimby madness
PNG Gold (Papua New Guinea)
Aussie Blue
Old Mother Sativa
Maggie madness (from maggie island mid 90's)

And prolly many more that dont have names just get farmed each year and sold, or that I haven't heard of. Have fun searching!

EDIT - Heres a link to get u started.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1651.html

Last edited:
C

Chamba

ABC (Hills around Canberra)
Mullumbimby madness
PNG Gold (Papua New Guinea)
Aussie Blue
Old Mother Sativa
Maggie madness (from maggie island mid 90's)

they were/are varieties grown in Australia, but do any of them actually qualify as being true landraces?....not in my opinion, not in the strict sense of the word....

there was wild hemp growing along river banks outside Sydney for hundreds of years..the "Hawkesbury River cannabis"....it originated from hemp grown in the 18 century by settlers..I think it has been eradicated or has died out?..but was still growing strong in the 1960's

it has been well documented by botantists and could very well possibly be regarded as a landrace, Australia's first and probably only landrace.(that's if road side hemp in the US could be regarded as or evolve into being a distinct landrace in the future as well?)...like the feral hemp in the US, it was a hemp that "escaped" and grew naturally by itself for over one hundred and fifty + years, it was distinct, common, wild, and thrived in the region.

I never smoked any of it.....but it supposedly had low ~ mild levels of THC...

A friend of mine, during her degree, studied actual samples of the first cannabis grown in Australia from seeds brought over on the first fleet..

Last edited:
G

they were/are varieties grown in Australia, but do any of them actually qualify as being true landraces?....not in my opinion, not in the strict sense of the word...

I didn't say they were landrace, I said "acclimatised true breeding". How true breeding I cannot say as I haven't grown them, the reason I believe them to be true breeding is that you see these strains year in year out and they never change much. Sorry if my first post was confusing.

rk

Last edited:
C

Chamba

please tell us more about these Aussie strains.

Last edited:
G

Breeder's Description - '303'
I do not know the complete breeding back ground of this strain but I have been told it consist of what flooded this land back in the early 70s the all great PNG Gold and various Hawaiian/Fuji strains. Papua New Guinea Gold would most likely be the main contributor to this strain. Some time back it was then crossed with a wide leaf strains as the old timers call it, Indica I presume? They crossed what they already had with the wide leaf variety (indica?) to rise above there competition and this is what they have today? With this indica crossing it has most likely cut down the flowering time making this strain possible to grown indoors and still be able to control it. 303 is a sweet spicy fruity flavour with a piney-fruity aroma with a very intense high mind-lifting it can bring about heart-racing and even panic for users not used to strong sativas or if overdone, due to its creeping effect can soon have you blown off your feet. Don't make the mistake of wacking a few fast ones down because before you know it your praying it will wear off fast as it can just become to intense for the user. This strain is a super long lasting stone that does not need to be constantly topped up every hour like many it just last and last.The flowers are not show material but they certainly pack a punch so look out !

The complete breeding back ground of this strain is a bit of mystery but I have been told it consist of what flooded Northern tropical Australia back in the early 70s the all great PNG Gold and various Hawaiian/Fuji strains. Papua New Guinea Gold would most likely be the main contributor to this strain. Some time back it was then crossed with a wide leaf strains as the old timers call it, Indica I presume. They crossed what they already had with this wide leaf variety (indica?) to rise above there competition and this is what they have today. With this indica crossing thirty years back has most likely cut down the flowering time making this super sativa strain possible to grown indoors.

303 is a sweet spicy fruity flavour with a piney-fruity aroma with a very intense high mind-lifting it can bring about heart-racing and even panic for users not used to strong sativas or if overdone, due to its creeping effect can soon have you blown off your feet. Don't make the mistake of whacking a few fast ones down because before you know it your praying it will wear off fast as it can just become to intense for the user. This strain is a super long lasting stone that does not need to be constantly topped up every hour like many it just last and last.

Warning some growers have reported 303 after session affects to leave the mind and body exhausted/burnt out!

G'day,

Old Mother Sativa is a plant kept in the north coast, it is an old pure thai plant, never hybridised.

No seeds are available this year, but next year around May there will be many. I dunno if I can write down the guys email address, and you'se dont need it yet, cos there is no seeds yet.

Anyway I grew the seeds outdoors a few years ago, only got 2 harvested females from 200 seeds, but they were nice plants with nice poison-y sativa buds. Mine were'nt huge yielders, but skinniest leaves of anything I've ever grown. Its not as potent as say The Flying Dutchmens Pure Thai, but its nice bud none the less.

take care

Australian Blue marijuana seeds from Homegrown Fantaseeds. Another new Blue Haze cross. Now with an Australian Bosei or Duck marijuana plant as the mother. This is a cannabis sativa (90%) with a lovely lemony smell. Experience a bit of Downunder in you growroom with this potent Aussie or try it outside when the night temperature does not drop below 17 C. Good yield, better quality. New on the market!

I posted these up coz I had the info in a text file, if I have the time I will edit this post with more info when I have time to browse. Most of these strains are documented somewhere on the web though. I don't go there much anymore but there have been some good threads in the past at ozstoners about aussie landraces.

Last edited:
G

Here is an excerpt from a hight times article you might find interesting, you can view the full version here:
http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?bid=178&aid=3

GLOBAL HARVEST REPORT AUSTRALIA Until the late '80s, the tokers of Australia had to rely on imported and outdoor herb. Imports came mainly from Southeast Asia, our immediate neighbors to the north. Outdoor weed in New South Wales came from the fertile rolling hills of Nimbin; elsewhere, from larger outdoor crops further afield.

Now, the annual report of the Australian Bureau of Criminal Intelligence states: "Domestic production of hydroponically grown cannabis appears to have reduced the demand for imported herbal cannabis." It is estimated by those more in the know that indoor now has an 80% market share.

In the modern era, you'll need to peer down south to the Great Australian Bight, the major breeding ground of the Great White Shark, to discover the motherlode of our annual harvest. The state of South Australia (SA) once had the most cannabis-friendly laws in the nation, and is now affectionately known as the "Amsterdam of the South," a label much loathed by its politicians.

As Australia is "down under" in the Southern Hemisphere, ranging from a latitude of 10 degrees to 43 degrees South, the seasons are the complete opposite of North America. It's summer and hot in December, while in July and August it is the dead of winter. Most outdoor growers plant in the spring, September, and harvest in the autumn, around April. However, depending on the location, it is possible to successfully grow all year round.

SA growers have gone indoors with a vengeance and are producing plants that rival that puny Christmas tree erected in Times Square each year. In a direct response to the one-plant limit of state law, they are grown in one-plant growrooms, in pots of up to 250 liters, and blasted with up to 10,000 watts. Vegged for 12 weeks and then flowered for eight, a single plant has been known to yield 10 to 12 pounds of dried bud. They're usually grown in coco-fiber, drip-fed using "horseshoe" drippers that sit on top of the medium and may be operated either on a run-to-waste or recirculating basis.

Such is the regularity and sheer size of the yield that it has flooded NSW and Victoria, the two most populous states, and forced down wholesale pound prices. In Sydney, NSW, the most expensive market, A$15,000 (about $8,000 US) can get you almost five pounds of primo. In SA, it'd buy you nearly eight pounds--hence, the darn wagon trains of it that whiz up here via the highways and byways from down South.

This boom in local cultivation, particularly indoors, has been aided and abetted by online seed banks that are not as wary of shipping orders here as they are to the USA. The wares of those horticultural houses are being traded and swapped, inbred and crossbred, and prolifically grown all over the country.

Such is the health and vigor of the industry that the first local seed bank to go public, Australian Sativa Seeds (seedsdirect.to/breederlist.html) was recently launched in cyberspace. Their signature strain is the infamous Mullumbimby Madness, a complex conglomeration of Indo-Asian strains, mostly sativa. Unless you've got the strength of Goliath and the patience of Job, it's best grown in the great outdoors. Also in the Madman Genetics range are "Elephant Killer" and an "Outdoor Pack," while a compatriot who masquerades as the Penguin has "Aussie Bush," a classic sativa-dominant hybrid directly descended from the wild Hunter Valley strains first discovered in the mid-'60s along the Hunter River in and around Newcastle, NSW.

Who would have thought that a humble G-man would have gotten it so right in the 1930s when he warned: "Undoubtedly, if prompt action is not taken, marihuana will flood Australia and New Zealand." --Jay Walker

Twiz

Here's a very ordinary pic of the ABC for those interested.

Good plant for stealth but it is not very potent and is a very long grow compared to others. Doesn't grow very big unless you start it real early and if you don't have frost in your area you can start them in Autumn and grow them right through Winter and into the next growing season.

Last edited:

Joe Hawkins

My grandfather tells me every time the subject comes up about how he used to go up to Lostock (Hunter Valley) to collect the seed and use it to make wind breaks and general decorative fencing back in the days, was doing it for years until his neighbour told him "Jim thats that marijuana stuff they're all smoking these days" that was back in the 60's when he stopped growing it coz of its illegality, but had been cultivating it since the 30's as well as his own tobacco. he never smoked pot but at 94 still reckons he wants to give it a try.
I find that it can be hermie when it wants to be, although there is a very high female to male ratio.
Actually my mate is growing some outdoors and has been harping me to take some pics, so I will sometime this W/E and post up what this strain actually looks like.

Last edited:

Joe Hawkins

Some pics of a good old Aussie IBL

The two smaller ones at the front are Professional blueberry by Cannabis Professionals, my last purchase from Heavens Stairway

Last edited:
G

have heard of an aussie indica
a strain called chocolate diesel x aussie indica
u dont know how much i chase for that old mother sativa
cant find her anywheres
bil

unknown person

abc

abc

No one at seed banks have abc seeds listed are they hard to acquire?
and has any one tried breeding them? for even novelty sake?

thc43

Veteran
im pretty sure we have no landrace strains, ask the aboriginals they did have dreamtime lol.

we have had good weed from the beggining ive heard of white settlement. It was cheeper im guessing to import seed from india rather than hemp seed from england like in the first experditions 200+ years ago.. i read ages ago these plants from india had hemp like structure but also got you ripped farmers found, so maby our first settlers where also pot heads. lol

Hemp
used to make many hemp products but mainly rope and sail for the fleet of ships. maby we can thank Captin cook for the herb in early years. These days we have a good mix of un named strain mainly sativa in appearance likely comming from the north up indo asia thai burma way. With the Vietnam war more thai/ laos and cambodian made its way south and im guessing it wont be long before the afghan inflences rear there head.

Last edited:
H

hard rain

I don't think anything here qualifies as a landrace. Certainly nothing here before European settlement.

BudgetBud

thc43 said:
These days we have a good mix of un named strain mainly sativa in appearance likely comming from the north up indo asia thai burma way. With the Vietnam war more thai/ laos and cambodian made its way south and im guessing it wont be long before the afghan inflences rear there head.

Bring on the afgans :jump:

Hello, :wave: first time poster, long time lurker.

I first started smoking in Melbourne about 15 years ago, back then there were some VERY interesting strains going round, but I didn't get to enjoy them for long because as soon as 'skunk' burst on the scene, they disappeared, so did all the putty hash. :wallbash:

When I was a kid, a gram of skunk used to stink out a whole classroom and could be smelled miles down the hall, but now, the 'skunk' has turned to shit IMO, now you have to chop it up and put your nose right in the bowl to even get a hint of the old funk and quite frankly... I'm bored with it... Bring back the old stuff!!!

I know their probably not landrace strains but, does anyone here remember 'Mango Buds'? Craziest shit I've ever smelled in my life, smelled EXACTLY like mango's. KC Brains and some other more reputable breeders such as Soma breed strains that are supposed to smell like mango's but at risk of sounding arrogant.. I don't believe anything would come even close to the old school Ausie mango buds and I just wouldn't waste my time.

And what about all the old varieties of "sinse"? I remember buds that just looked like clumps of light coloured leaves with crystals on them that smelled like black pepper.. Not much to look at but what I wouldn't do for some of that now.. gimme that over skunk anyday.

IMO Someone needs to bring all these old gems back to replace the played out "skunk" that we are stuck with today, and while ur at it, bring back the hash :nanana:

A friend of mine got some seeds from his dads mate who has been growing the same strain for over 20 years, he is currently vegging it under CFL's, it looks like a PURE sativa with low light requirements and the prettiest, most shapely leaves I have ever seen, when I gently rub my fingers on the stem it smells so nice, can't quite put my finger on it but I know I have smelled it somewhere before, and it actually makes my fingers sticky.. from rubbing the stem of a still vegging plant, needless to say I have high hopes.

Another foaf has seeds that he has kept in a tin for what he thinks is about 24 years and they are still viable, he decided to germinate some last year and they became out of control and turned into enormous bushes that produced some very nice herb that apparently shits on the generic commercial "skunk" of today, so much so that his wife wont let him part with any seeds and has taken control of the tin, perhaps she can be bribed tho..

I wonder what would happen if someone crossed the two.. Hmm... food for thought :sasmokin: