What's new

Are there "Extinct" strains?

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
johnipedestran said:
wow
great thread access

londinium love the look of those long locks. that is one cool plant. hope you enjoy it.

the collection of seeds you showed before is amazing, the story behind it even better.

I remember Skunk#1 from the late 80's. It was the first "expando" herb I ever smoked, forget about that bomb it dropped on you.

peace
jip

Sorry missed ya earlier jip,thanks 4 the interest,they've had a bit of a journey those pip's! Sk1 was first smoke with 'Width' that I tried also,I smoked good import b4 that but never fresh enough to hit u like locally grown does. First time I smelt skunk I couldn't believe it was Real! lol

S

Scorpion

not sure if its extinct or just basterdized with hybrid genes,
but the Sweet Mexican Red Hair Sativa has disappeared over the last 20 years,
in the 80's it was the norm,
dureing the 90's it became a special treat to get,
now it is basically non existant.so
close to extinction maybe?

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ngakpa said:
Highland Thai (Burmese pheno)

not extinct... yet...

Damn Ngakpa She is one beautiful plant,That is such good news that she's alive and well in your garden. Wish I had her (and the weather to grow her) in my garden. Marvellous stuff. JBo

Rudedewd

There definitely was some good herb back in the 60's and 70's but mexican bagweed was predominant. Some of the old sativas would not only get you very high but also keep you that way for hours. Mostly where I am at it was a choice between commercials, mexican, jamacan and columbian at $15, $20 and $25 respectively but on occasion something more exotic would show up. Even commercial columbian was pretty good though and columbian gold was just so sweet. Some of the mexis were my favorite though, soaring high that'd last for hours.

I think that some of the bullshit about weed back then not being as potent is because people don't want there kids doing what they did and by making out that today's weed is that much more potent they can say, sure, we smoked pot but it was different back then, our weed was more benign. Good weed back then and good weed today is still good weed, lol, if you compare old commercial mex from the day to chem d today sure there'll be a huge difference but if you had an old school thai stick or some wacky weed and compared it to the weed today the results might surprise you.

Last edited:
A

alpinestar

in the last 80 years, the american government has been at the forefront of destroying useful cannabis genetics, because politicians dont know that different types of cannabis really exist, they think it is all the same and does the same thing

supposedly the stuff that grows in the University of Mississippi farm includes a lot of old strains that are of low quality

most the old world indicas and sativas are pretty much done - between wars, the nanny state, human stupidity, and the need for profit from an easier turn over rate

heres the thing - we've coevolved with this plant for thousands of years, i think even the humanoids (Neanderthals) used cannabis as well as humans

anyways we've co evolved with it for the entirety of history and have had a hand in its evolution
no matter how much others will fuck up the gene pool, this plant exists damn near anywhere because of its ability to adapt to varying conditions and its usefulness to humans

i think cannabis will only get better, even though we have less to select from, technology and the fact that we can combine genetics from everywhere (the world is much smaller now that it used to seem) means that cannabis will progress positively (at least for us) in its evolution, even with the negative human interactions that take place all the time

ngakpa

Veteran
Londinium said:
Damn Ngakpa She is one beautiful plant,That is such good news that she's alive and well in your garden. Wish I had her (and the weather to grow her) in my garden. Marvellous stuff. JBo

hey - some seeds will be on sale soon - if we have enough some should be on seedbay and seedboutique by about January

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking. Thanks to everyone that has contributed thus far....this is exactly the type of dialogue I was hoping for.

K+++

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ngakpa said:
hey - some seeds will be on sale soon - if we have enough some should be on seedbay and seedboutique by about January
Marvellous ngakpa I will keep my eyes on the sites,can't wait! JBo

pinkskunk

it would help if uminformed people didnt insist on growing random bag seed,which 99% of the time is hermaphrodite thus realy fucking up decent ibl strains and stable hybrid strains. hermies fuck everything up!

C

cork144

red bud? i never had the experience of smoking it but i have heard of it on GC and seen a picture or 2, of properly red hairs all over.

U

ureapwhatusow

it would help if uminformed people didnt insist on growing random bag seed,which 99% of the time is hermaphrodite thus realy fucking up decent ibl strains and stable hybrid strains. hermies fuck everything up!

ORLY

i wholeheartedly disagree

Nughit

Road Kill Skunk is gone and so is chocolate thai or at least i have not been able to find them in about 15 years.

pinkskunk

please ellaborate,im open to your opinion mate. hey also im new to this site but i am tryin to find someone who can tell me if they have ever heard of a strain called birds brain,i am doin a clone swap with a mate who was given this strain,im just tryin to get a bit of info if its available.

T

theJointedOne

Strawberry Fields is gone it seems.

True

From the book "Marijuana Botany":

"Herein lies extreme danger! Since each strain of Cannabis is genetically unique and contains at least a few genes not found in other strains, if a strain becomes extinct the unique genes are lost forever. Should genetic weaknesses arise from excessive inbreeding of commercial strains, new varieties might not be resistant to a previously unrecognized environmental threat. A disease could spread rapidly and wipe out entire fields simultaneously. Widespread crop failure would result in great financial loss to the farmer and possible extinction of entire strains."

Here's a link to some blog I just found that's discussing an alaskan strain that may/may not be extinct:

http://www.pinkeyedjim.com/pinkeyedjim/2006/12/08/matanuska-thunderfuck/

thats a cool link and great info

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
what about orange crush!?!?!?!! from what i hear its GONE. now i gotta settle for some Cali Oranges.

OGKUSH415

Road Kill Skunk is gone and so is chocolate thai or at least i have not been able to find them in about 15 years.
i agree man, also Orange Crush hasnt been around in a while, cant find find any clones and been lookin for a couple years.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
lots of the old positironic lines are endangered, although I have heard of a man working very hard to keep them going :)

I have not seen K2 in breeders lists anymore. It has been one of my favourite smokes. Good sleep inducing strong indica, likes nutes and easy to grow. :kitty:

Latest posts

Latest posts