What's new

Are there "Extinct" strains?

badmf

darthvapor said:
purple zacatecas and most of the mexican sativas that were wiped out from the spraying of I think its call ddt or somekind of spray they used to wipe out cannabis
It was paraquat. Loads of decent to real good Mex types get accidentally x-bred by too many Mex growers not culling males and wind currents spreading the pollen. Long ago there weren't even names, lol, it was just rated by price and personal preferences. Names came in later and I hope Super DoubleWhammo isn't taken yet is it?lol. I laugh at a lot of these names... very creative but medicore smoke.

It's an interesting question. But the really interesting thing about is that as many as were lost, even more are being made now, by growers all over the planet. More growers than ever before in history, with access to cannabis genes from everywhere. Many srains become IBL's. Some might say that say that true landraces are not still developing, or that that hybrids are not varieties, or that they even degrade the 'pure' lines that are left. I would disagree. I would love to see some of those old 'lost' strains preserved or recreated, though. I think we will find that the genes are still around, but we need authentic environments to recreate them effectively (ie mountain altitudes, jungles, swamps, deserts, etc., latitude is also very important)

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nept said:
thing is if you go to acapulco or panama there isnt gonna be a universal one size fits all acapulco gold seedline, there probably wasnt in the 70s even let alone today
Being of the hippy generation, and turned on at a young age, my exposure to high grade commercial pot in the 70's was fairly extensive.
I've obtained many sacks of both Ac.Gold and Col.Gold. Both were very distinct from one another, and within the lines both were very consistent in taste, smell, texture, and high.
I was for years a big fan of Col Red Bud, which also was very distinct and consistent. From varying different connections, over several years span, the Col. redbud was nearly the same bag for bag, save for seed amounts.

I have to feel that the higher grade commercial sativas (which was everything besides bad tasting homegrown leaves, and brick dirt weed [probable parquat soaked]) were of a very consistent nature, and were probably at one time very stable for each individual grower, or growing area.

C

Classyathome

LittleBigMan said:
Swt #3
Blockhead

:nono: Hell most of the older dutch companies breeds/offerings these days aren't made with the original parents, so the offspring from the same "name" seeds are producing different results than they did 10-15yrs ago.
I have 5 SOL Blockhead beans - aren't they the originals?

C

CheifnBud2

purple thai, REAL SKUNK (Ncal not dutch).

Purple haze IMO was extinct in the 70's and re-made by finding a purple sativa and breeding it for potency.

IMO most of the landraces that are being preserved arent true representations of what they were 20-100 years ago.

Im sure there are some regions of the world preserving landraces in africa, new guinea, asia, remote china.

Hopefully anyway.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
cephas333 said:
Ahhh.....this makes me think about the real Purple Haze. I haven't had any since the late 80's, that was true psychadellic weed.

yep...
Isnt DJ Shorts Old Time Moonshine an extinct plant?
also mandalas Krystalica... Probly a lot of extinct breeds...

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Solar Puffer said:
It's an interesting question. But the really interesting thing about is that as many as were lost, even more are being made now, by growers all over the planet.

Solar: I agree....but that's sort of like equating the loss of "dinosaurs" and other extinct animals with the fact we have live rhinoceros, giraffes, birds of all species...etc.
We've lost genetics in the process of evolution. Let's face it: who WOULDN'T want to see a real live dinosaur these days? A simple answer to that rhetorical question can be found in the box office franchise; Jurassic Park...LOL.

It's a humorous example, but we've lost magnificent beasts to antiquity (through none of our own doing of course...).

I can't help to think that we've lost some rare strains that had some special qualities.

Practically everyone has heard that one of the main reasons to stop eliminating rainforest is because there may be a "cure for cancer" in that jungle somewhere. Alot of our current medicines are based upon botanical sources slightly modified (so they can be patented and sold for big cash).

There are hundreds of unclassified cannibanoids found in marijuana. I think to date there are only 5 that have been identified for certain....

How do we know there aren't cannibanoids out there capable of unlocking the potential of the human brain....jumpstart human evolution....cure cancer......etc.?

The answer is simple: we don't. And it's unfortunate that some of these beautiful strains are disappearing for whatever reason.

I will say something additional: years ago the RDA (recommended daily allowance) was tabulated....that's where we got suggestions to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily...that was in the 1950's.
I just read an article in the last year or so that states because of two main factors: 5 servings isn't nearly enough to get the nutrition we need.

Reason 1) Soil depletion of nutrients (ie-too many crops, not enough time between them to replenish the soil)
Reason 2) Farmers/Growers have selected fruits and vegetables soley based upon; taste, size, color and resistance to disease.....NOT NUTRITIONAL VALUE.

Hence we've been getting the short end of the stick with our asparagus, carrots...etc. You may think you're eating a healthy balanced diet...but you're probably not getting what you need without nutritional supplementation....and it happened as direct result of selection and human intervention.

Now....back to marijuana. I don't want to see a single specimen of this wonderful plant gone for eternity....for alot of the same reasons and many, many more. I hope you share my passion and maybe somewhere this inspires people to keep things alive.

Elephunk

I don't think so on DJs OTM... Infact I have a 10 pack sitting in my freezer... The only question is whether the beans will crack or not (heard about bad germ rates with these) and if I get any nice females... Regardless... Any males I get I'm definitely saving for breeding.

BonsaiBud

The real fear with breeding AF strains is that they WONT show up. That is: you may get the weak ruderallis high with out the auto-flower. This is the danger. If you get a full-on auto-flower from your "pure" non-af seed stock; then yes; your genetics are contaminated and it is time to dump and buy seed.

Tomatoesonly

It doesn't matter what is gone and extinct because the media has told me that all the old time hippie weed was only 1/20th as powerful as the stuff is today. That means they were smoking like 1% thc and less weed, and getting high off the lack of oxygen more than anything.

I mean, the LEO and media wouldn't have an agenda and be lying to the public about such important matters. Would they?

accessndx

Veteran
Tomatoesonly said:
It doesn't matter what is gone and extinct because the media has told me that all the old time hippie weed was only 1/20th as powerful as the stuff is today. That means they were smoking like 1% thc and less weed, and getting high off the lack of oxygen more than anything.

I mean, the LEO and media wouldn't have an agenda and be lying to the public about such important matters. Would they?

Your sarcasm ray was set to "full blast" I see. I think that there were alot of factors involving those statements made about "weed not being as strong". Let's face it: if it didn't get anyone high back then....it wouldn't have been such a cultural revolution....and not too many people would be interested in smoking something that didn't get them high.
I will say that obviously people have taken those strains, bred and interbred them for potentcy......and weed has become stronger....
But the stock they came from paved the way for this stronger weed.
In fact, I'm not necessarily concerned about the loss of the "weaker" strains, I'm concerned about the stronger, newly developed ones in more recent history.
As far as LEO having an "agenda"....well that's the whole point now isn't it?
LEO/AGENDA are synonymous.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a quick thought...
If the progeny of any given strain is in existence, then can that given strain be considered extinct, even if it's parent plants and all previous remnants of that particular genetic map are gone?
If I have strain A and make a cross of AxB, and that parent and all previous A is lost, can't I theoretically get the A back using the offspring of the AxB cross?

accessndx

Veteran
If my grandmother is dead...she's extinct. I share some of her genes....but that doesn't mean I can capture all the specific genetics that went into producing her.
Of course that's markedly more complex. The overall thought is the same....
Genetic variability within a strain lineage can be rather variable. Even within families you'll see wide divergent appearances, characteristics, taste, potency, etc.
The progeny of a particular strain still being around is better than it being gone altogether...and yes you can breed backwards...but not always dependably.

accessndx

Veteran
Marijuana Botany Quote

Marijuana Botany Quote

From the book "Marijuana Botany":

"Herein lies extreme danger! Since each strain of Cannabis is genetically unique and contains at least a few genes not found in other strains, if a strain becomes extinct the unique genes are lost forever. Should genetic weaknesses arise from excessive inbreeding of commercial strains, new varieties might not be resistant to a previously unrecognized environmental threat. A disease could spread rapidly and wipe out entire fields simultaneously. Widespread crop failure would result in great financial loss to the farmer and possible extinction of entire strains."

Here's a link to some blog I just found that's discussing an alaskan strain that may/may not be extinct:

http://www.pinkeyedjim.com/pinkeyedjim/2006/12/08/matanuska-thunderfuck/

Last edited:
R

rule35sub1

The real purple haze is still out there, I know someone in Asia is growing it right now.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
i believe in common usage extinction refers to a species or maybe a subspecies. i dont think any of the species are in risk of going extinct. its a matter of choice of words but to say that if e.g. blockhead was nowhere to be found so its extinct is like saying the smith family down the street passed on with no kids so theyre "extinct", which is not how the word is generally used. id probably say a strain line has disappeared.

mostly i worry about homogenization, like how you used to get different varieties of sweet corn or tomatoes, now its only a handful of hybrids. maintaining that reserve of a wide variety of genotypes helps ensure cohorts of offspring that will show adaptablilty and hybrid vigor, helping both in natural and human-induced selection. putting all the eggs in one or only a few baskets can be dangerous, should e.g. some pathogen be particularly suited to infecting a particular genotype. since weed is still an "underground" industry its not as likely as it would be if big agri-business was running it, but still ...

im sick of peaches and cream all the time, gimme some seneca chief :D

Gert Lush

Veteran
Another thing to remember, is that what we call landrace now was imported once, too, in all but a very few special cases.

For example, all the Mexs, Colombians, etc, were the result of what Cortez's Moors brought in with them. They are the descendants of Moroccan/Spanish strains of 500 yrs ago! If those guys had brought something else in, say SE Asian, then that would have acclimatised to a very different landrace today!

Similarly, many Brazilians and South Americans are descendants of Angolan and other African strains and gawdknowswhatelse. Those strains, in turn, were what acclimatised in Southern Africa from the seed brought in by Arab slavers, etc.

The whole process is quite dynamic!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a really good question. :yes: :canabis:

Here's a few examples,,

Commercial coffeeshop' strains like de 'Adel-vice', original Skunk #1, original Haze, used to be BIG in Holland.... until they got either reworked; name copied; or out-bred to new plants as new varieties.

Other strains like 'Green Krystal' , 'White Butterfly', '45 Automatic', 'Reclining Buddha' and 'Durban Lambsbread' no longer exist out-right,,, each had their own time to shine... some went into famous seed lines... other fell to the wayside.

'Super Skunk' was re-work some time around 2000 by Sensi Seeds B.V. ,,, at which point the original characteristics of 'Super Skunk' were made extinct.

Landrace strains have also taken a real set back in recent times,, for example real Jamaican erb (if there is such a thing) is now extremely difficult to source,, even in Jamaica. (lol) :no: Farmer planting dutch genetics pon island hill these days ,, may be cross a few ,, so the gene pool of original genetics is become diluted as mans speak... !!!

Many homegrown varieties make a short appearance on the underground scene before becoming extinct,, I n I once made a strain called 'Landing Zone' (Jack Herer x Durban Poison) which sadly no-longer exists... least I nah think it does... haha

That's the real trick,,, no-one really knows which genetics are still in keep,, in seed,,, on lock-down,, wrapped in plastic baggies,,, in ppls fridges ,, for a rainy day perhaps,, and the moment of release,, when seeds grow into trees. This is what turns all us strain-freaks on... :canabis:

The reason that good quality genetics fall to extinction is usually down to greed, or ignorance, a combination of both,, or just disrupted karma.

Those that see a good thing usually stick to it...

Hope this helps,,

Peace all
DocLeaf :joint: