What's new

Are there "Extinct" strains?

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Doc....thanks for the contribution to the thread. I'm still awed that people are in fact interested to know what I was curious about. The examples you cited about seebanks are precisely what I was inquiring about...I seem to remember things from "way back when" that simply are no more...or have been fused into other new strains.....
Exceptional posts from everyone so far.

I believe most of the strains in question are more of an "endangered species" than extinct, as somewhere, seeds most likely exist, or it could be preserved in clone form somewhere.

Sadly, the landrace varieties are more likely to be extinct for obvious reasons.

cannabowl

Perplexing Magnum Opus
ICMag Donor
accessndx said:
er "heard" of certain strains, or that they simply weren't available anymore.
I know I've brought this up from time to time here, but at the time of publication of Ed Rosenthal's Big Book of Buds Vol. 3....the strain Sputnik V.2 was almost "extinct" as a seed produced by TGA Subcool....I had read that before the book was even released, there were only 40 seeds left....making them rather priceless. Of course someone could reverse engineer the strain by breeding the strains it came from....but you're not always going to end up with the same characteristics dependably.....

These aren't extinct.
I have some myself, along with a bunch of Sputnik 2.1's.

accessndx

Veteran
That's why I stated "almost extinct". There were very few left, but honestly all I can depend on is two facts: 1) I can't purchase/find them from any seed distributor. 2) It's what I read (the very specific figures regarding how many were left for sale at the time of publication of Big Book of Buds V3).
I'd be HAPPY to know I was incorrect.
Nonetheless, thanks for the information. I haven't heard of 2.1s....new breed of Sputnik? Readily available...please post some info. in the thread about availability or just send a PM.

Thanks.

Smoke68

accessndx said:
Doc....thanks for the contribution to the thread. I'm still awed that people are in fact interested to know what I was curious about. The examples you cited about seebanks are precisely what I was inquiring about...I seem to remember things from "way back when" that simply are no more...or have been fused into other new strains.....
Exceptional posts from everyone so far.
We all are interested in extinct strains Access, as they hold the pure genetic code for proper and selective breeding.
As for the "fusing" or breeding seeds/strains/phenotypes, well that is the same as humans will be in 1000 years or so... To put very simply, everybody will be a breed called Ameri-chin-afgh-indu-jap-zilian-mexic-eskimo-borigin-ative...
As for a breed becoming "extinct" well, that is a little harder to do... The strain may still live on, but not in pure form as per breeding. That is that we are assuming that every other plant of the same heritage was either burned(no pun intended) or cut down. Also this is an assumption that absolutely no IBL seed(s) have survived.
In order for a PURE genetic line to continue, THERE MUST ONLY BE ONE, JUST ONE SINGLE VIABLE PUREBRED IBL SEED.

There is one solution. Obtain as many strains as you can. I've got over 20. Trade with your friends. Cause in the event that say, The Mendo Purps falls to the wayside, I can self it.

We can only do what we can to ensure quality genetics live on. I plan on a trip through Mexico to collect seeds. I drive down the street to my dispensary and see if they have any new cuts.

But yes, there are extinct strains, but there are many many more almost ready strains and plenty of brand new crosses all the time.

ngakpa

Veteran
one way to get a clear answer to this is to look at the problems with other species:

traditional breeds of vegetables for example, or traditional breeds of farm animal - pigs, cattle, apples and so on... they have all taken a massive hit at the hands of industrialisation, globalisation and population growth

even in farm breeds which aren't plagued by insane prohibtionist legislation biodiversity is really suffering terribly

sadly life is rather fcuked these days

cannabowl

Perplexing Magnum Opus
ICMag Donor
accessndx said:
That's why I stated "almost extinct". There were very few left, but honestly all I can depend on is two facts: 1) I can't purchase/find them from any seed distributor. 2) It's what I read (the very specific figures regarding how many were left for sale at the time of publication of Big Book of Buds V3).
I'd be HAPPY to know I was incorrect.
Nonetheless, thanks for the information. I haven't heard of 2.1s....new breed of Sputnik? Readily available...please post some info. in the thread about availability or just send a PM.

Thanks.

Yeah, you probly won't ever find the 2.0's available to the public ever again. When they were offered I picked up a few packs :jump: knowing they were a limited stock. The 2.1's that I speak of were bred by me:muahaha:. I'll drop you a p.m. when I have enough posts .

Canna

accessndx

Veteran
Nice cannabowl. Good to see someone refuses to let something go 'extinct'. Your statement about not being able to ever find the 2.0's or 1.0's again is exactly what I was talking about. Most certainly "someone" is running these genetics...but there are none of the "original beans". For all intensive purposes, at least some of the genes are still kicking around...but highly inaccessible....
Of course there'll be the inevitable crosses and back-crosses....but as we've discussed in this thread: it's not quite the same thing.
In either event, please do drop me a PM as you hit your 50 mark. Some + rep. for ya in the interim.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ngakpa said:
one way to get a clear answer to this is to look at the problems with other species:

traditional breeds of vegetables for example, or traditional breeds of farm animal - pigs, cattle, apples and so on... they have all taken a massive hit at the hands of industrialisation, globalisation and population growth

even in farm breeds which aren't plagued by insane prohibtionist legislation biodiversity is really suffering terribly

sadly life is rather fcuked these days

good post :yes:

We agree,, only the existence of heritage seed libraries , mindful botanists , and honest horticulturalists can save us now,,,

Take a look around,, these vampires are sucking the blood from the earth,, destroying our natural heritage and culture ,,, they call their plan of agrarian-fascism 'codex alimentarius' http://www.codexalimentarius.net/web/index_en.jsp

Anyone that stands by idle in these times is then complicit in their corruption. All an the yout' shall witness the day that Babylon shall fall,, like fire fall... and the meek and the hindered will inherit the eart'.

Keep the struggle alive,,, sow and scatter,, share and survive..

Peace
dLeaf :joint:

"Knowledge is the lightest piece of kit we carry,,, and we're never without it" Ray Mears

Tumblepop

To begin, I dont know if these strains are really extinct or just if they exist.
Personally I know only "Dutch Treat" (first of second line) from East Island.

The rest are, from top left:
- Lil' Stanky
- Red Delicious
- Angel Food
- K.B. Killer
- Dutch Treat
- Hydro-Skunk 420
- Honolulu Rose
- Skyscraper
- Old Yeller
- Flypaper
- Bride of Dankenstein
- Purplecstasy

I'm just curious; I have this poster since I was 14yo

H

Hazeseeker

Tumblepop said:
To begin, I dont know if these strains are really extinct or just if they exist.
Personally I know only "Dutch Treat" (first of second line) from East Island.

The rest are, from top left:
- Lil' Stanky
- Red Delicious
- Angel Food
- K.B. Killer
- Dutch Treat
- Hydro-Skunk 420
- Honolulu Rose
- Skyscraper
- Old Yeller
- Flypaper
- Bride of Dankenstein
- Purplecstasy

I'm just curious; I have this poster since I was 14yo
Man I remember that poster, i used to have it years ago as well, can anyone confirm if these were all real strains?

Peace
Hazeseeker

J

John Public

DocLeaf said:
for example real Jamaican erb (if there is such a thing) is now extremely difficult to source,, even in Jamaica. (lol) :no: Farmer planting dutch genetics pon island hill these days ,, may be cross a few ,, so the gene pool of original genetics is become diluted as mans speak... !!!

Very old school Jamaican lambsbread sativa... near extinct in its own country :badday:, prisoner in a closet with artificial lights :bashhead: ....but still alive :rasta:

Peace to all :joint:

Last edited:

Cuzin_Dave

One could conclude yes on this issue. The Mom's and Pop's stopped breeding their own family lines, seed banks offered commercial F1 hybrids and bag seed became unavailable.
There was a huge loss of genetic diversity and thousands of lines did become extinct.

Latest posts

Latest posts