What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the varieties of the new school so bad?

Bardo Eagle

The Hybrid problem is the after effects (migraines,bad moods,lethargy etc.) The effects can be strong allright but not as profound,hybrid stay in a sort of voidness,filled with boring epiphanies instead sativa landrace have an apparent direction,like a journey. Hybrid=High/Stone
Landrace sativa=trip (mild,a mind friendly but trip)
like distinction between cubensis and liberty caps,the first have a lot of body high and somewhat boring,the caps are crystal clear and much more psychedelic,comparative dose. The man made things are incomplete,nature Is pure consciousness a perfect gear,with our stupidity we have corrupt a sacred plant,all for appearance and toxic effects,like we are(loud stinky putrid gelato cookies),what we smoke now represent our level of consciousness (very low).The message Is more important than the messenger,but souless smokable diamond are the norm,you know. Sativa leaves get you higher than hybrid,just smoke enough or ingest (no cieling),something says something :bigeye:

Last edited:

Rembetis

You know the modern mantra, more is better! More THC, more Terps. There was a link around here somewhere about terpenes. It seems like the same mistake is being made as with THC where the Terpenes are reaching un natural levels. Apparently they can have severe side effects and toxicity in certain cases.

Another interesting experiment that has been done a few times now is a blind test with old and new strains. When asked which was the best smoke they always chose the old 8% THC. Its funny how they always expected that the one kicking their asses was some newer High THC line

And for the odd dabber that might find his way to this thread and wants to defend the latest and greatest, your Indica dabs aint shit! I made some BHO out of some Mexican brick. Holy Shit! Talk about psychedelic! That shit put me in orbit for hours. Like grab ahold of a lightning bolt and hang on for one hell of a ride. I was very careful about taking that extra hit after that experience

Last edited:

Starwea

These new strains are great, but my main issue is that people don't seem to understand that the older genetics can be, and are, just as good. By everyone jumping on the hype train and reversing the newest genetics with other genetics, in a way, the selection is being done in a distributed, decentralized system, which I think is pretty cool. Historically, a single breeder would need to do all of this work himself, so crowdsourcing the selection is actually pretty interesting.

Having said that, I do think things are becoming homogeneous and watered down because of the lack of introducing anything new. You can throw a rock on a seedbank website and hit a strain with both parents having OG or chem in the genetics, sometimes on both grandparents and beyond.

What happens when you outcross a popular cut to something else? You get GSC, or something else. IDK why people aren't looking at bringing new genetics into the mix more.

Additionally, if we follow the stories, all of these are based on chem/og which themselves are from almost 30 years ago. So it's entirely possible to rediscover these traits by taking it back to the early 90s and working with things that would have been available then. A good Haze hybrid and a solid Afghan/Kush should give you enough in the offspring, even if it requires some serious searching, that you can find something just as good as what we have now.

Wow, I always thought that the part of gsc having durban was just marketing, although now it makes sense, I'm anxious for the current market to slowly start to set its eyes on the local varieties, I could not expect them to grow them purely because It would be a bad idea for indoor, but at least they will start looking for create crosses, that's for sure

Hempy McNoodle

Hello friend, as I understand it, terpenes are important because they modulate the effect of cannabis, but it makes sense what you say, if we look at almost all the new school they are sweet flavors, therefore, similar terpenes, equal to Similar effects, different smells no matter how bad they are, bring different effects, even one day I want to make a cartbridge that mixes some Chinese variety with ginseng escencial oil, since in Chinese medicine they say that ginseng is mixed with marijuana to look to the future :whee:

And, greetingz to you too Starwea:)

I dunno about terps modulating the effects much, I have some doubts, but maybe it is the case. I sorta think they are somewhat toxic in large amounts. I have a feeling that our bodies sweat them out. I know that other cannabinoids like CBD and THCV modulate the effects of THC. It's all fascinating. I look at cannabis like paint. Traditional, locality landrace strains being like primary colors. You can mix some and make beautiful colors like the secondary colors, and you can further mix the colors, but at a certain point, homogeneity grows and that is desirable in many cases. Even greys and browns and black can be absolutely awesome. But, for me, smoking weed, I want to get high and if everything is homogenized then it basically means that I will grow a tolorance to all of the weed that is commercially available. And so, my only choice is to pursue highly variable chemotypes and locality landraces are simply the logical place to get that variety. But, then there is also the cool history behind the strains and cultures who cultivated them and I like to grow and reproduce them to preserve that precious diversity.

My main complaint isn't even hybrids themselves. What bothers and concerns me is the lack of variety commercially. There are tens of thousands of non-landrace strains, but it seems like in Oakland, there are about 25 varieties available and these are all basically indistinguishable as far as I can tell.

Wedding cake, wedding crashers, sunday driver they are all really unspectacular, but I will never forget a bag of shake of some ditchweed bullshit that actually got me way higher in the 90s. A lot of it may be tolorance or level of thcv (maybe linked to "no ceiling effect").

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Girl scout cookies are different for me. It's become my favorite new school strain. Most strains give me the same boring buzz but gsc gives me a euphoric high that I like. I'm not even sure which GSC I have been smoking but I definitely prefer it over everything else right now.

Only smoked gsc at the cup and realy liked the high, or the first 30-40 min of that high. Very euphoric but the euphoria was gone after 1/2 hour and i was left with a very boring high. For me it was like turning a switch. If u have enough of that stuff for binging a bowl every 25min you can have a nice day imo.

MindEater

I brought ridiculously dank stuff over to an old growers house years ago. Stuff so dank it seems like it was fed hash oil. Would probably yield 50% extract, pure caked up "you got weed in my resin" stuff. Stuff that just smells like.. resin.. They couldn't take a 0.05 rip off the vapor bong, I could manage a 0.10 thanks to practice (mmediately followed by using half a roll of toilet paper to blow my sinuses out). After we were good and high off my pride and joy, he whips out his "brown scraggly", outdoor seeded no name Ozark mountain guerilla grown Thai looking stuff, no trim. I could take a lot bigger rip than a 0.10, but when I did it peeled my face off.

That's when I realized I had been settling for years. But the big problem today is store bought weed. You can't smoke with people who don't grow,they'll show up with a high yielding Cookies derivative that smells like various bottled grow products. But it looks pretty, from a distance? Until you touch it?

MindEater

I feel the same and will add that I also think that there is too much emphasis on terpenes. I think this may be why I get migrains if I smoke a modern commercial strain for more than 3 days in a row. When I was young, I smoked for the effects. Some weed tasted like straight up shit, but I didn't care. If I wanted something that tasted like cherries I'd just eat some cherries.

Terpenes aren't tastes though, only smells. If your taste buds work you know lemon peels do not taste sour, otherwise they would make lemonade out of peels instead of selling them to vape juice manufactures. If you've graduated high school you know lemons get their taste from scentless organic acids in the flesh of the fruit. I'm not sure where all this terpene nonsense started, but it's getting ridiculous honestly. I joined the internet to learn more about Cannabis and found everyone to be listening to government lies (d9thc= potency) and vape pen marketing (generic terpenes=weed flavor).

What's weird is how lots of store-bought Cannabis smells like plain generic terpenes instead of weed. I always assumed it was fake (sprayed, infused) or a hydroponic characteristic, as I grew up with organic bud and it has always since childhood smelled and tasted sugary and hashy until cured, then the bright distinct smells and matching bright distinct flavors come out. My bud only smells like terpenes during veg before louder smells more characteristic of Cannabis take over. Then those smells faded until cured,and they come back in full force. If I or anyone I knew, since childhood, grew a lemon og, a blueberry, whatever, it went from sugary and generic to sour and distinct after a few months. It's always been like that since I was a child...

But one day I picked up some OG from a club, it smelled like grapefruit but had no taste or high. I honestly thought it had been infused with a fake smell. I cured it for 3 months (meaning it sat around because I didn't like it at all) and the smell changed to a strong traveling lemon and it began tasting and feeling like a nice sour lemon og. It was so strong smelling I remember a door to door windshield chip repair guy stopping mid presentation to say "that actually smells really good" when I had a 0.10 bowl simmering in the vape 3 rooms away,down a long hall behind closed doors. When the bud smelled like grapefruit and had no flavor you had to put your nose right up on it, and it couldn't even be detected simmering in the vape.

The theory that I've attempted to force on the underdeveloped uneducated Cannabis community is that the resulting lemon in the above situation is definitely not limonene, or any terpene. Terpenes don't travel, and they don't taste good, or taste like they smellI..

I know for a fact that I've purchased bud from dispensaries that was infused with both synthetic terpenes and fruit scrap derived terpenes. It has a smell, but tastes like plastic (synthetic) or bitter (fruit scrap derived) , it gives headaches, and it stains vaporizer hardware (reddish stain from synthetic, brown/black from fruit scrap derived). I think it's safe to say high levels of natural terpenes in the plant essentially present the same symptoms.

Like I said I don't know how so much commercial herb smells like plain terpenes before it's cured, when everything grown illegally smells like plain hash until cured. I would venture to say my bud would test less than 1% terpenes even though it stinks up the room. There are so many more metabolites in the plant that actually have medicinal value, pungent aromas, entourage effects and that actually taste good on the taste buds. (I have heard so many times that taste buds are a myth, its insane. Taste buds aren't a myth. Smell and taste are completely independent of each other, but the best herb usually tastes just like it smells, when cured, in a vaporizer/extract.)

TLDR: Terpene-dominant weed sucks. But it's obviously how it's grown more than genetics. Candy, fruit and desserts don't get their taste from terpenes, why would Cannabis that tastes like those things? I eat my weed regularly, it tastes good,like candy. It gives cotton mouth when terpene-dominant weed does not. All Skittles have the same taste, but different flavors due to different smells. If Skittles had no taste but only the smells, they would be out of business. If Skittles had only the taste but no smell, they'd still be in business they'd just make them all the same color because they'd have the same flavor. The contribution of olfactory elements are minimal to overall flavor (taste+smell) compared to taste bud activators, namely sugars fats and acids.

Cvh

Supermod
^If it's not terpenes what causes the distinctive smell, what do you think it is?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Its like they tried to turn it into the same effect as an Opiate.

right, when it is not like opiate, they call it weak... Godfather of seed business was heroin addict. go figure. I dont understand why, for example, pure haze should have devastating potency? devastates you instead of getting high? if it doesn't devastate you, it is not haze LOL that was said by those crazy opiate lovers... narcotic weed is not sativa, such a nonsense.. LOL

kamyo

Veteran
right, when it is not like opiate, they call it weak... Godfather of seed business was heroin addict. go figure. I dont understand why, for example, pure haze should have devastating potency? devastates you instead of getting high? if it doesn't devastate you, it is not haze LOL that was said by those crazy opiate lovers...

It would be nice to keep the Haze drama in the Haze threads. I can think of many reasons why people might want to develop an indica strong enough to be used as an alternative to opiates, and addiction is the main reason. Nothing to do with Haze, imo. Great thing about weed is that we can have different applications for different requirements.

But I'm not really sure what that has to do with the current state of the genepool. I love a strong indica, and I love a mellow indica. Strong, devastating sativa, and a clear/positive sativa. The main issue I see with the state of weed now is that the quality of those effects are compromised and tend to be an afterthought nowadays, taking a back seat to names, cannabinoid and terpene profiles, pictures, synthetic exclusivity, and above all, marketing.

But for every 10 people crossing x with y and making up a bunch of bullshit about the background, there are 1 or 2 guys sticking to the old, proven genetics and keeping them alive through reproduction or crosses. Point is, there's a lot of shit to wade through, but everything is still out there if you look hard enough.

Jayded

Much more than just terpenes go into the plants smells and potency.
Plant phenols and esters have strong smells to them.
Most must of made hash that even though it smells,isn't as smelly or potent as the buds it came from.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
It would be nice to keep the Haze drama in the Haze threads. I can think of many reasons why people might want to develop an indica strong enough to be used as an alternative to opiates, and addiction is the main reason. Nothing to do with Haze, imo. Great thing about weed is that we can have different applications for different requirements.

But I'm not really sure what that has to do with the current state of the genepool. I love a strong indica, and I love a mellow indica. Strong, devastating sativa, and a clear/positive sativa. The main issue I see with the state of weed now is that the quality of those effects are compromised and tend to be an afterthought nowadays, taking a back seat to names, cannabinoid and terpene profiles, pictures, synthetic exclusivity, and above all, marketing.

But for every 10 people crossing x with y and making up a bunch of bullshit about the background, there are 1 or 2 guys sticking to the old, proven genetics and keeping them alive through reproduction or crosses. Point is, there's a lot of shit to wade through, but everything is still out there if you look hard enough.

I used it as example, as it is usual thing these days, to say some afghanhaze is haze.. and opiated haze by narcotic broad leaf varieties.. haze is textbook example of pure narrow leaf variety which through hybridizing was fucked up and narcotized.. and I dont like heroin addicts tell me what real sativa is or not, or advise me about any other thing in my life.. I said that heroin addict set the standards for what strong weed is and what is not, historically by his selection and selling tons of his seeds.. thats why there are northern lights hybrids everywhere, with strong but short lasting effect, boring and dulling.. true and not drama. drama it is for his fans.. I am happy there is useful weed for heroin addicts, but thats all.. problem is more widely social, as many people take opiate pills on various health issues, they are used to this kind of effect and call it relaxing or euphoric, it is like alcoholic thinks that to be drunken is euphoric, but for me it is not it, for me it is to be drunken... so for me oaxacan is euphoric, but with original glue I feel like drunken... these pure narrow leafers have something special to it..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You know the modern mantra, more is better! More THC, more Terps. There was a link around here somewhere about terpenes. It seems like the same mistake is being made as with THC where the Terpenes are reaching un natural levels. Apparently they can have severe side effects and toxicity in certain cases.

Another interesting experiment that has been done a few times now is a blind test with old and new strains. When asked which was the best smoke they always chose the old 8% THC. Its funny how they always expected that the one kicking their asses was some newer High THC line

And for the odd dabber that might find his way to this thread and wants to defend the latest and greatest, your Indica dabs aint shit! I made some BHO out of some Mexican brick. Holy Shit! Talk about psychedelic! That shit put me in orbit for hours. Like grab ahold of a lightning bolt and hang on for one hell of a ride. I was very careful about taking that extra hit after that experience
Yes I read and participated in that thread, in response to Sunshineinabag. 1.5 hrs of work got loss in the computer cosmos :( I was a little high when I started the response. I know better and, to formulate a reply off line then cut and paste to here.

The gist of the post/article (length) had to do... since terpenes actually occur in nature, why do we bother growing the plant. It is no longer needed.

I have to reread the gist of that thread and see if I can't duplicate what was said before my reply got accidentally deleted. Being it's Sun (a slow day) I may just try to revive it to the best of my recollection.

AC/DC is a 20/1 strain CBD/THC, some would say yuck. Roll a cigarette sized joint and smoke it by yourself. Total sense of well being without the couch lock. Here is a description of Ringo's gift as high as 24/1... toted to be the holy grail of CBD strains.

<<While it sounds as if Ringo’s Gift isn’t strong enough to do much for you mentally, user results are rather surprising. Many note that this strain is popular in the club scene in Barcelona as it provides mental focus and energy along with a physical relaxation that’s anything but heavy. Your mood will soar and socialization becomes easy during your high, allowing you to make friends fast and keep the drama far away from you.

This much CBD is obviously a goldmine for medical cannabis users, therefore making Ringo’s Gift a true gift in your life. Inflammation and bodily pain are very quickly soothed as your mind receives her cannabinoids with ease. Mental concerns including anxiety, stress, and depression also tend to dissipate as well, leaving you in a place of peace and openness for whatever comes your way. Although it’s not an overly energetic strain, Ringo’s Gift is recommended for daytime use.>>

Ringo's gift is a X of Harle Tsu and AC/DC. The aforementioned quote is a fairly accurate description of AC/DC. I can't wait to grow Ringo, which I finally stumbled on some very hard to get beans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZb10ZxpBk In this short well explained video on the endocannabinoid system He uses a mobile (like in a baby's crib) to explain the delta between cannabidiol and modern medicine. During the video they show the stars trickling down the mobile, I can feel those stars in my veins as a tingling sensation as the drug is moving through my system. Major pain, I have my wife rub me down with Harlequin salve I make for local topical application, and I take a Har mari-pill (0.25-28g) and within 30 min all pain and stress are gone, to be left with total relaxation and a feeling of well being.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

^^that right there^^

Example: Cw (Charlotte's Web) aggravates the living shit out of me. OTOH Bubba kush is supposed to be a night time strain that I take during the day, while some folks are flat on their arse if they do.

kamyo

Veteran
I used it as example, as it is usual thing these days, to say some afghanhaze is haze.. and opiated haze by narcotic broad leaf varieties.. haze is textbook example of pure narrow leaf variety which through hybridizing was fucked up and narcotized.. and I dont like heroin addicts tell me what real sativa is or not, or advise me about any other thing in my life.. I said that heroin addict set the standards for what strong weed is and what is not, historically by his selection and selling tons of his seeds.. thats why there are northern lights hybrids everywhere, with strong but short lasting effect, boring and dulling.. true and not drama. drama it is for his fans.. I am happy there is useful weed for heroin addicts, but thats all.. problem is more widely social, as many people take opiate pills on various health issues, they are used to this kind of effect and call it relaxing or euphoric, it is like alcoholic thinks that to be drunken is euphoric, but for me it is not it, for me it is to be drunken... so for me oaxacan is euphoric, but with original glue I feel like drunken... these pure narrow leafers have something special to it..

Just to be clear, you're taking about Nevil, right? I would hope that anyone who comes into a thread to shit on a person (twice) whose contributions are etched in history would at least have the courage to mention him by name. I agree that a lazy Haze is probably contradictory and maybe shouldn't be a "thing," but that's pretty easy to get across without bringing up a dead breeder's personal information into the mix.

Jammal

Only a handful of new school names are worth mentioning, mostly just for taste. Everything now is just muddy kush with crunchy resins.

ngakpa

Veteran
guess I'm naive, but I don't think I will ever cease to be amazed by the bigoted unenlightened garbage attitudes that some smokers have...

some proper rolling in your own shite going on here a few posts back

anyway...

there's nothing inherently bad about modern hybrids or inherently good about landraces

otoh, there's no doubt that modern breeding efforts have generally taken effects in a bad direction

another way to describe effects is the experience or the place that some strains take you to

just been enjoying some Afgaan 90, which is an Amsterdam Afghan line resurrected direct from 1990 seeds, and I'm genuinely really impressed by how much positivity there is to the high

definitely something got lost along the way in breeding efforts over the past decades, and I think at least in part that's explained by using bad Indicas

reading Neville on Afghani No. 1 is very interesting. His take was that zero attention was paid to the effect once it got brought to Amsterdam, which he reckons explains the dreariness and dysphoria

but ime, a lot of modern Sativa highs can be quite cold too

warmth, positivity, expansiveness, meditative qualities etc. are all much easier to find in good landraces

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Just to be clear, you're taking about Nevil, right? I would hope that anyone who comes into a thread to shit on a person (twice) whose contributions are etched in history would at least have the courage to mention him by name. I agree that a lazy Haze is probably contradictory and maybe shouldn't be a "thing," but that's pretty easy to get across without bringing up a dead breeder's personal information into the mix.

blah blah.. I named him as people like you named him, godfather.. fact is that godfather of seed business was heroin addict, personal info or not, which ,in my opinion, affects the selection of plants etc.. personality of breeder is not separated from plants, which breeder choose to breed with.. I stay on topic, about narcotic weed, which northern lights hybrids are. and to be clear I am not interested in your moral judgements.. I am talking about narcotic weed and how it became standard till these days.. proof is in plants and you can moralize how you want.. plants from him are narcotic, although he advertised them as cerebral etc.. simple facts. you can judge me how you can, again I am not interested in your moral posing.. heroin can ruin even cannabis as well as human lives.. of course Godfather is not responsible for it all, but he stays main figure of junkie/yuppie social moves(of cannabis world) so typical for 80´s..

Burt

Veteran
The new strains are absolutely fire!
The terps are insanely delicious.
Just had gushers-oh my talk about phenomenal taste. Would love some watermelon kush

Jammal

The new strains are absolutely fire!
The terps are insanely delicious.
Just had gushers-oh my talk about phenomenal taste. Would love some watermelon kush

I had a watermelon pheno of OG a few years back,,,,ugh the stank of rotten watermelon in late flower is just damn horrible.. pretty good herb though once dried.

Latest posts

Latest posts