What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the varieties of the new school so bad?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
will the real hempy please stand up ,, lol ..

your out of line here , please stick to the topic and stop trying to derail stuff in order to make yourself the centre of attention. as is often the case ,

stay on topic and either ignore people or dont respond with out of topic shit please ..

dont make this yet another thread you spoil with arguments ..

if this is in reference to me i do not insult or attack nevil ,

as i said earlier , stay on topic or ignore post that make u feel you need to respond in this manner ..

what is this "highland thai" you speak of ,
im not saying it hasnt been grown in hills and mountains there ,
but there was never an export of highland thai ,
the export stuff , aka thai sticks was grown in lowlands in the north east along the mekong and the surrounding provinces ,
please check geograpy and geology before making such statements

thailand has only a small area of highlands , its not a very mountainous country ...

please dont ruin another thread with infighting hempy ,,

either sit back and read and dont contribute , or hold your tongue and let others post about the subject at hand ,
your posts are off topic ...

No your the one that continues to be out of line Donald and why do you keep defending MA ?.

The chock Thai the real Chock Thai as the American brothers call it was a more broad leaf Thai Variety it looked like some highland Colombian varlets. Where the low land variety has the narrower leaf .

So a High Land Thai never got exported really
HILL TRIBES IN THAILAND

There are six major hill tribes in Thailand—the Akha, Karen, Meo, Yao and , Lahu, and Lisu —with a combined population of about 1 million people. These groups—also known as highland people or highland tribes—live in the mountains of northern and northwestern Thailand, parts of which lie in infamous opium-growing area—the "Golden Triangle" (albeit, much less opium is grown in the Thai part of this region than in the past).

The hill tribes of northern Thailand are famous throughout the world, but not necessarily for the best reasons; they grow some of the best marijuana in the world, and the area is a major source of opium. It's obvious why; people in northern Thailand are not rich, and if they can survive by growing drugs, then who can blame them? Up here in the northern hills, these drugs are technically illegal, but in practice they're decriminalised, much like marijuana is in Amsterdam1. Is it any wonder that the organised treks through the hills are so popular?
https://www.moxon.net/thailand/chiang_mai.html

Cannabis from the hill tribes in Thailand was exported far and wide you should research more.

You need to stop with the childish reputation messages i am over it you need to get a grip.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Since re joining icmag all i have seen is him insulting and attacking Nevil and his work and he has broken forum posting guide lines over n over in his attacks on Nevil it needs to stop.

Cannabis is a complex plant they continue to find new cannabanoids almost monthly personally i dont think they have a clue .

2 Breeders can start with the same plants and end up with very different plants at the end of there selections and breeding.

Most of what people grow and smoke come from NL /SK/HZ /afghan that went to Holland.

If breeders are only focused on yield and bag appeal then odds are smoke quality may not of been the main goal of the project.

Take Haze and Haze hybrids the long flowering ones are the ones i always found to be the most potent and yet in many growers and breeders eyes they are not practical .

I never saw or smoked minty Thai and what they called Chock Thai was high Land Thai it smelt more of say earthy spicy tobacco and never a lazy affect.

Indeed Cannabis is a complex plant in its properties & chemical composition, but Choc Thai was from the lowlands and has a narcotic effect, not caused btw by dipping the stuff in opium water.
The minty Thai which was sold in the shops in the early 90s had an uplifting effect.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
No your the one that continues to be out of line Donald and why do you keep defending MA ?.

The chock Thai the real Chock Thai as the American brothers call it was a more broad leaf Thai Variety it looked like some highland Colombian varlets. Where the low land variety has the narrower leaf .

So a High Land Thai never got exported really
HILL TRIBES IN THAILAND

There are six major hill tribes in Thailand—the Akha, Karen, Meo, Yao and , Lahu, and Lisu —with a combined population of about 1 million people. These groups—also known as highland people or highland tribes—live in the mountains of northern and northwestern Thailand, parts of which lie in infamous opium-growing area—the "Golden Triangle" (albeit, much less opium is grown in the Thai part of this region than in the past).

The hill tribes of northern Thailand are famous throughout the world, but not necessarily for the best reasons; they grow some of the best marijuana in the world, and the area is a major source of opium. It's obvious why; people in northern Thailand are not rich, and if they can survive by growing drugs, then who can blame them? Up here in the northern hills, these drugs are technically illegal, but in practice they're decriminalised, much like marijuana is in Amsterdam1. Is it any wonder that the organised treks through the hills are so popular?
https://www.moxon.net/thailand/chiang_mai.html

Cannabis from the hill tribes in Thailand was exported far and wide you should research more.

You need to stop with the childish reputation messages i am over it you need to get a grip.
irrelevant ,, (and you have no idea what your talking about)
the discussion is about varieties of new school and if they are bad ,
nothing to do with your posts ,
stay on topic or i will report your posts ..

sorry to other posters for the disruption to normal viewing ,
we do have some difficult folks on the err , team ..

thanks for understanding ..

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Most new varieties sold in the shop in the 90s before Haze varieties period started had more a couch sitting effect, not very inspirational. Lucky landraces were also sold from different directions, so it was easy to switch.
Old Mama Thai is a nice one or Barneys Jamaican x Thai, Durban Poison.Last two was available in the shop, not seen for a very long time.

tcherno

I wonder if nostalgia is partly the cause of this opposition of the high strains landrace heirloom vs modern hybrid. The first experiences are the most striking those who have known the first Thai, Panama, Mexican etc etc etc had the chance to live experiences as rich as diversified. I can understand that a brain that may have known this finds a couchlock hybrid boring.

I spent a lot of time asking questions to the old school stoner between 50 and 70 years old, from my BZH region and many of them didn't know punto rojo, columbia gold, many smoked Moroccan-Lebanese imported hash and affie, and very few weed, including in the hippie circles, of course it's not representative of everyone, but it could explain that the heavy knockout effect is normal for me... people are surprised when I take out a bag of pure NLD.

And even today nobody wants to be pissed off with blooms of 20 weeks or more, so bye-bye bye electric high.

Nevertheless some still and always resists the invader, such is the life in BZH its lasts for a long time this history, look at asterix and obelix:friends::biggrin:

ctg

Veteran
I personally love some of the new flavors that are around. The highs are strong at first but have a VERY short duration, an hour or less for most. This includes hybrids like gg4,most of the new og and chems, the sugary cultivars etc. Pretty much all of the newer hybrids carry a short lived high. Moving forward I look to landrace and heirloom strains to x into some of these pretty strains to increase the staying power of the stone. It means little to me if the thc levels are 30% of the high only lasts 45 minutes.. I want the highs of old 3, 4 hours ride...
As far as the arguments in this thread and others, fellas we have all been around for many, many years, with all the hatred and bullshit going on globally maybe we could find our common values based around cannabis to lighten up the conversations. I’ve been guilty as most in venting my arguments on online sites over the years but have come to the realization that I have to accept differences of opinion and see the commonality in old acquaintances instead of faults. We all think we are right! Coming together on sites like this sharing info and genetics has been a beacon of light through many hard times.
Enjoy the connections old compadres, you never know when one of us will be gone just like Neville, Clips and so many more.

Rembetis

Not nostalgia. We always sought out certain smoke because we liked it just like everyone does today. Sure you have fond memories of certain events but it was the everyday experience that makes us seek out the old. We didnt just wake up one day and rebel against the new. We experienced the changes as things evolved and with the more recent availability of Landrace strains we can go back to what we like best.

For me I got tired of the bad effects and quit smoking for awhile. Things have gotten better in terms of strain availability and getting exactly what you want and for you younger guys you dont have to rely on asking us old guys. You can try it out for yourself and see what you think

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Good post ctg.

I love old sativa lines the complex and unique affects they give for me are worth the flowering times.

I worked out early on around the mid 80s that dutch lines were no were close to what we were growing and smoking so we worked out the value of the older lines .

Then along came haze and when i first grew it in a hybrid form breed by Nevil my attitude towards dutch lines and hybrids completely changed.

We were use to planting ex amount of seed from a set strain and we knew what the smoke from set seeds would be at harvest.You dont get that with hybrids and dutch lines.

Dutch lines you as a grower need to run as many seed as possible clone each plant before flower and then select from the plants by smoking testing each plant and with some luck you find something special.

Now you have a clone you selected but to be sure to preserve the line you need to make seed now you need to find a male again selection is needed and the f2s will be even less stable and harder to find a keeper but they are there you just need to run more numbers to find a keeper of equal quality of the f1 if you loos the clone.

That there is the problem of modern genetics growers need to run lots and lots of seed to find the outstanding plants. You cant expect to find that special plant by growing 5 seed from a hybrid.

tcherno

I really like this thread, it's very interesting to browse.

I think about my first experience with zamal, it was crazy, I felt like I had taken something else than weed, it was so different from what I had known before.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I personally love some of the new flavors that are around. The highs are strong at first but have a VERY short duration, an hour or less for most. This includes hybrids like gg4,most of the new og and chems, the sugary cultivars etc. Pretty much all of the newer hybrids carry a short lived high. Moving forward I look to landrace and heirloom strains to x into some of these pretty strains to increase the staying power of the stone. It means little to me if the thc levels are 30% of the high only lasts 45 minutes.. I want the highs of old 3, 4 hours ride...
As far as the arguments in this thread and others, fellas we have all been around for many, many years, with all the hatred and bullshit going on globally maybe we could find our common values based around cannabis to lighten up the conversations. I’ve been guilty as most in venting my arguments on online sites over the years but have come to the realization that I have to accept differences of opinion and see the commonality in old acquaintances instead of faults. We all think we are right! Coming together on sites like this sharing info and genetics has been a beacon of light through many hard times.
Enjoy the connections old compadres, you never know when one of us will be gone just like Neville, Clips and so many more.
My favourite strain is a 20:1 CBD hybrid ACDC. I medicate through mar-pills weighing @ 0.25-0.28g per cap. 30 minutes the engine is warming up, 45 min in and we have lift off. Enjoy the ride for the next 6-7 hrs, of which you are constantly climbing to the 3 hr mark before slowly coming down. ACDC possesses a beautiful plateau between 2-4 hrs, with an overwhelming euphoria, where one is totally content, and a general feeling of well being engulfs you.

I can't wait to breed her with Harle Tsu for some Ringo's gift.

"While it sounds as if Ringo’s Gift isn’t strong enough to do much for you mentally @ 24:1, user results are rather surprising. Many note that this strain is popular in the club scene in Barcelona as it provides mental focus and energy along with a physical relaxation that’s anything but heavy. Your mood will soar and socialization becomes easy during your high, allowing you to make friends fast and keep the drama far away from you.

This much CBD is obviously a goldmine for medical cannabis users, therefore making Ringo’s Gift a true gift in your life. Inflammation and bodily pain are very quickly soothed as your mind receives her cannabinoids with ease. Mental concerns including anxiety, stress, and depression also tend to dissipate as well, leaving you in a place of peace and openness for whatever comes your way. Although it’s not an overly energetic strain, Ringo’s Gift is recommended for daytime use."

Majo

Veteran
When I started to smoke, around 15 years ago, the only things we could find in the black market were maroccan hash (sometimes good, sometimes really good but most of times it was crappy brick hash cutted badly), albanian ganja and if you knew somebody maybe some indoor growed weed.

Indoor wasn't still popular those days if you were outside cities. At that time the best pot I could smoke was a purple haze growed by a friend outdoor. He didn't know much about how to grow, he had these seeds because another friend did a repro with the sensi purple haze.

This was even earlier than the internet era, it was hard to find good seeds so it was a good idea to make some seeds in your own.

I still remember those buds of purple haze, minty aroma and a long lasting high.
Aside from that sensi superior quality was rare to find. Most of weed I bought those days it was full of seeds but at least very cheap.

When I went to the US few year later I could smoke many of the so called "modern hybrids". At the beginnin I thought I've found the holy grail but I still didn't know much about the cannabis culture.

Btw I was living in California and I was a patient. Finding great quality weed was super easy compared to europe. In those pharmacies I've found some of the best stuff I smoked in my entire life (of course I was still a young toker). After few years I moved to Europe again and I had the possibility of smoking some different kind of herb.

Living with a community of people from the caribbean was a bless for me. In few month I had the pleasure of smoking brick weed from different parts of Africa. One of my favourite was the Ethiopian, rare to find but one of the clearest high ever to me.
I bought also thai sticks many times but I never understood if it was true thai stick from thailand or other kind of brick/cob weed with the red stripes.

The price for thai was higher than the brick weed.

Even if this kind of herb was full of seeds I was smoking only that. Sometimes I was buying some bags of modern weed but when I was smoking the other stuff I felt much better.

This is just a short story but it is basically how i started to smoke landraces. To me they are better in terms of high. Stronger doesn't mean better.

I love drinking rhum or even some stronger spirits but there is a limit of %, if you go above that it's not a good drink anymore (I had some good home made spirits with 70% and they were amazing :D ). To me modern ganja is like this. Too strong for no reason

Hempy McNoodle

I am starting to feel that I've been overly idealistic in my thinking about landrace ganja vs modern commercial hybrids. I think both can be great or disappointing and I will continue enjoying both for the rest of my days. I just am not such a fan of modern commercial strains which are bred for flavor or smell as the primary focus. For me the quality of the high or effects is always the primary concern and I feel like high terpines make me have more headaches (hard to really pin down the cause of my chronic headaches, though).

The last 2-3 years I have focussed exclusively on landrace, but now want to shift back to preserving some of my favorite classic-modern strains such as Bubba Kush, Grandaddy purple (original), and others.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Once upon a time we "toked" to get high, many still do. The best I ever smoked was Cambodian, that shit will seriously fuck you up circa '79. I have never experienced anything like it since. I toked for 10 years (that's it what it was coined in the day). I returned after a 34 year absence and now I medicate. Now, IMHO there is faaar too much marketing.

In this modern hybrid era, even in the mostly sativa hybrids, it's hard to find clean smoke. As others have mentioned, they all seem to have a narcotic comedown. Many start out with a nice sativa high, but quickly fade into a dumbing effect. Some consider this the weed's power, but to me, this stone ruins the high.
One of the cleanest sativa's, I've tried would take you in and out of reality for hours. It would vacillate between feeling really euphoric, hyper aware, to questioning yourself if you were really high or not. It seemed like effects were situation dependent and you could function if needed. Hours later, the high would just go away and you'd be left with a smile on your face wondering what the hell just happened.
We named this plant Hilo back yard, because that's where I found it. It was tall, loose and lanky and looked very similar to bamboo. The previous tenant had chopped it down to a small stem but it regenerated enough to clone.

I demand the name of that plant immediately ! :D !

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
In my neck of the woods, in the 2000's decade almost all weed available was Super Skunk (Skunk #1 x Afghan). Now the trend is Critical which is... surprise surprise: Afghan x Skunk #1.

Add to the mix Northern Lights#5. And a pinch of Haze for what breeders want to make you believe they are sativas, and you have the full spectrum of most commercial strains nowadays in Europe.

Add Chemdawg-Diesel-OG Kush for the USA secene.

As a true sativa/NLD (specially landraces) aficionado I find all this really boring.

Basically sums it up the way i see things.... Everything on the shelf is just Afghani#1 relatives or Skunk or NL. The most unique mainstream thing is basically cookies because of it a feint hint of durban... Its pretty sad.

A quality haze is hard to find because everyone selected for skunk and NL dominant phenos that finish around 10 weeks...

Now we have LEDs and people can do a good job with sativas all over the globe. So things are changing. There is a huge wave of landrace hybrids being made right now. I have faith.

Quality haze is back for sure, and plenty of landraces that will get tied into and dominate the hype stuff.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
In this modern hybrid era, even in the mostly sativa hybrids, it's hard to find clean smoke. As others have mentioned, they all seem to have a narcotic comedown. Many start out with a nice sativa high, but quickly fade into a dumbing effect. Some consider this the weed's power, but to me, this stone ruins the high.

I agree with this, absolutely. typical example of it is C5 and A5 which is not haze or sativa by any mean... it starts nice, but it crashes me like good NL after while. and makes me super dumb. retardo weed.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Thats a broad generalization based on nonsense in terms of science. I have only heard of Arjan and strainhunters doing that. Which is not "Most". Making hybrids is literally the definition of biodiversity.

Latest posts

Latest posts