What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything outdoors 2020

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Any one using those ryobi 40v expand it trimmers pretty light weight have mutiple attachment heads. Not as loud as the gas boys. Videos on the tube show it would fit my needs.

I use this one. It's 20v and still works fine. A 40v would handle a bush blade no problem.
picture.php

And this one when I only have around a dozen or so in for seed.
picture.php

Battery powered is the way to go unless you do the famous Hoypare slash and burn approach.

budsnblunts

Veteran
Hey fullas here was the lucky last plant to have come out the ground about two weeks ago.
picture.php

Has a really good year this year despite the usual hick ups. Cannot wait for next year.

RudeDog

Veteran
To kick it off, here are Moon phase calendars for 2020 if you believe in planting near or on a full moon. I'll roll the dice with some on May 8th (didn't work out for me last year), but May 22nd (New Moon) is my target. I'll be putting out late starts until July 1st.

I've been observing gardening by the moon for a while now and do believe there are advantages to be had. Cannabis is a flower and should be sown on a flower day which occur when the moon is in Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius.

May 4th at 08.10 GMT the moon enters Libre, flower days, then moves in to Scorpio on May 6th at 08.05 GMT. The Full Moon which is also known as a harvest moon happens on May 7th at 11.45 GMT. I've got a Killer Orange plant to chop at April's Full Moon

I'll be sowing my outdoor seeds in Jiffy pellets at 08.30 GMT on May 4th. The moon will be waxing and the pull on the Earths water is the strongest in that period.

If you want to sow later in the month then I'd suggest May 23rd from 00.01 GMT when the moon is waxing and in Gemini. Moon moves to Cancer on May 25th at 09.09 GMT.

Have three Fast Diesel autos and have ordered some Guerilla Gold seeds for the garden and greenhouse.

All the best for the season.

yardgrazer

Any one using those ryobi 40v expand it trimmers pretty light weight have mutiple attachment heads. Not as loud as the gas boys. Videos on the tube show it would fit my needs.

I had one, and I really dug it at first, but eventually the motor died. I had already had a Ryobi electric mower die and when I brought it to a Ryobi-certified mower repair shop they wouldn't touch it, and told me they knew of no one who would touch a Ryobi electric... love the idea of battery powered yard tools, but in my experience they didn't hold up (note: this was about 4 years ago at this point, things may have changed). Bought a gas Ryobi that fits the X-pand line, voila could still use all the parts I'd bought for the electric (string trimmer, brush trimmer).

marmarb

I had one, and I really dug it at first, but eventually the motor died. I had already had a Ryobi electric mower die and when I brought it to a Ryobi-certified mower repair shop and they wouldn't touch it, and told me they knew of no one who would touch a Ryobi electric... love the idea of battery powered yard tools, but in my experience they didn't hold up (note: this was about 4 years ago at this point, things may have changed). Bought a gas Ryobi that fits the X-pand line, voila could still use all the parts I'd bought for the electric (string trimmer, brush trimmer).

havent picked her up yet still debating my major drawback to the gas is the sound and over wintering upkeep. This is more of a plot tool would get used very little around the house. Gas powered is cheaper upfront but thats not a factor considering whats being grown.

marmarb

think they have a 3 yr warranty if it last that long shit ill be more than happy. just checked its a 5 yr limited warranty.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I've noticed interest in moon cycles in regards to gardening. I have my doubts whether these effects are real or imagined but it's one of the things I pay attention to during the grow season. Whether it's from an inclination to live closer to nature, observing the cycles of the moon and the sun, or something to pass the time as I twiddle my thumbs waiting for harvest. Here's a blurb from Marijuana Botany on the topic.

Since ancient times man has observed the effect of the moon on living organisms, especially his crops. Planting and
harvest dates based on moon cycles are still found in the Old Farmer's Almanac. The moon takes 28 to 29 days to
completely orbit the earth. This cycle is divided into four one-week phases. It starts as the new moon waxes (begins to
enlarge) for a week until the quarter moon and another week until the moon is full. Then the waning (shrinking) cycle
begins and the moon passes back for two weeks through another quarter to reach the beginning of the cycle with a new
moon. Most cultivators agree that the best time for planting is on the waxing moon, and the best time to harvest is on the
waning moon. Exact new moons, full moons, and quarter moons are avoided as these are times of interplanetary stress.
Planting, germinating, grafting, and layering are most favored during phases 1 and 2. The best time is a few days before the
full moon. Phases 3 and 4 are most beneficial for harvesting and pruning.
Root growth seems accelerated at the time of the new moon, possibly as a response to increased gravitational pull from the
alignment of sun and moon. It also seems that floral cluster formation is slowed by the full moon. Strong, full moonlight is
on the borderline of being enough light to cease floral induction entirely. Although this never hap- pens, if a plant is just
about to begin floral growth, it may be delayed a week by a few nights of bright moonlight. Conversely, plants begin floral
growth during the dark nights of the new moon. More research is needed to explain the mysterious effects of moon cycles
on Cannabis

My favorite bit is 'although this never happens' a full moon could delay a plant's switch into flowering. Ha why bother putting it in the book.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've noticed interest in moon cycles in regards to gardening. I have my doubts whether these effects are real or imagined but it's one of the things I pay attention to during the grow season. Whether it's from an inclination to live closer to nature, observing the cycles of the moon and the sun, or something to pass the time as I twiddle my thumbs waiting for harvest. Here's a blurb from Marijuana Botany on the topic.

My favorite bit is 'although this never happens' a full moon could delay a plant's switch into flowering. Ha why bother putting it in the book.

I wonder if there have been any scientific studies on it.

I do know that there are scientific studies on the effects of magnetic fields on seed germination and plant growth.

picture.php

(a big speaker magnet is about 300mT)

RudeDog

Veteran

I've noticed taking cuttings a couple of days before a full moon is optimal for quick rooting.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I wonder if there have been any scientific studies on it.

I do know that there are scientific studies on the effects of magnetic fields on seed germination and plant growth.

View Image

(a big speaker magnet is about 300mT)

You mean the ciba geigy experiment? Parts of the tv show from 88 where they talk about it are on youtube if u understand schwizerdütsch

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
This might seem like a dumb question, but at what rate should one mix in gypsum to heavy clay soil?

I've seen posts on here where people are mixing in 1 cup of gypsum per cubic foot of soil in soil mixes that they're building from scratch, not even native clay-based soil. That seems like a lot.

Nice.

In other news I finally got around to putting beans in water. Excited to finally join in.

Right on!

I'm about to do that today as well.

And so it begins :biggrin: .

I'll be doing 5 Lemon Wookie Glue from Equilibrium Genetics (regular seed).

And I'll also be popping some of the seeds I've found in my own buds. I'm really not sure where the pollen came from, never spotted male sacks or signs of hermi or bananas in the buds but they obviously got knocked up some how. Not tons of seeds, but a few here & there.

I'm assuming they self pollinated and I just never saw the nanners. If it was self pollination I know the plants from those seeds will likely end up self pollinating too...I'm growing them mostly just out of curiosity, I wanna see what sort of characteristics they have, just a few plants I'm going to have on the side away from my "main" 6 plants.

I'll be getting some clones soon too. This will be my first time putting clones out this early and trying to prevent early flowering (prior years I got clones late enough to not worry about it). My plan is to move the plants underneath a flood light on my back porch around sunset until about 8:30pm. And doing that until late May when the sun starts to set around that time....Hoping that'll do the trick.

40degsouth

Hi Duskray Troubador,
a simple soil aggregate test will tell you what sort of “clay” you have at your site. This will give you an educated guess at how much you should use or, if you should use any at all. For example, if you’re going for extra calcium it’s probably unnecessary due to the high levels in clay soils. Clay can also hold, more than enough, other elements like magnesium depending on your geological geography.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, 40

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hi Duskray Troubador,
a simple soil aggregate test will tell you what sort of “clay” you have at your site. This will give you an educated guess at how much you should use or, if you should use any at all. For example, if you’re going for extra calcium it’s probably unnecessary due to the high levels in clay soils. Clay can also hold, more than enough, other elements like magnesium depending on your geological geography.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, 40

Hey 40,

It's not so much for calcium (I actually foliar feed with milk as part of my fungal/pm preventative maintenance), it's really just more for breaking up the clay soil to make it easier for roots to navigate.

40degsouth

My general rule of thunb for amendments and fertilisers is a handful to the square meter but not for salts like epsom salts or sulphate of potash. In fact magnesium will force clay particles together and gypsum pulls them apart.
It’s not a quick fix to bust up clay but if you incorporate good amounts of organic matter and dig the garden over three or four times, digging down to , at least one foot but two is better, your soil should be very well prepared.
An old way to break up clay soils is to plant a crop of potatoes and follow them up with globe turnips; I’ve used thistle, with its deep tap root with chop and drop before planting or another way with really heavy (propper) clay soils is to turn the sods in the autumn and it will crumb over winter with frosts and cold weather.
Cheers,

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
any rail lines near by?

Take a back pack, fill it with paper and go for a walk every couple days. This way it won't seem strange to see you out with your backpack during the season. especially close to harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts