What's new

Anyone else finding it impossible to find a decent job?

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wish Sandwiches lol!! I've ate a few of those. Whenever I told my dad I wanted something or "I wish I could have that" he would always say, "You can want/wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster."

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I think people confuse energy and technology. Technology will have diminishing returns as our energy sources run out and global warming causes turmoil. Many people ( I'm not saying you) always conjure up a mythical "they" that will "invent something" to save our lifestyles. I'm skeptical but then again I'm bias since I hate Western style consumerism anyway.

So you're saying that the benefits of applying technology (all forms together, no discrimination) will have diminishing returns on solving our energy shortage problem?

To explain this (I think...,) the claim I'm making is that there is technology that already exists and has a price that can be paid to get it that is capable of moving us into the future. Again, if we take the things that make up the "American way of life" and make them more efficient, we will likely find ourselves in a situation where alternative energy sources will be able to maintain the essential activities that make it up. They will just be done more efficiently. Refrigeration, water heating, space heating, motor vehicles, mass transport, production of goods (and goods themselves) all can benefit from developments in technology that already exist!

If you were to ask my personal opinion of what the real problem is, though. I don't think of it as energy. We can have that one fixed, easily.

I think we are going to have a serious problem with material resources. Metals, plastics (if we use too much oil on transport, we'll end up with expensive plastics), paper. Too often, we have a linear material cycle. Extract resource, create product, use product, send it to landfill.
We need to work on creating a materials cycling system, complete with reprocessing infrastructure and (I think) regulation on materials use. For instance, you know that the plastic Coke bottle you hold can be recycled, but how many times? Those recycled plastic park benches or decking materials are the last times that plastic can be recycled and the end product be usable in any application. That's about 3 cycles, then you've got trash. Cool thing in this case is that the end products will probably last forever, and they are meant to, afterall. But there are plastics that exist today (The book, Cradle to Cradle is made of it: Please please read it!) that can be recycled indefinitely.

We need to work on building design and construction to create better, more efficient living and working spaces. This is another example of an industry in which all that is needed is to implement what is already known or invented. And that is being done, too. More construction and architecture schools are incorporating sustainability into the curriculum.

Peace out.
We seem to have totally hijacked this thread, but to wrap it all up, maybe I was just taking a long way of saying:

"Get a job in the renewable energy industry or in engineering. City planning is also becoming crucial. If you are not trained in these areas, get trained in these areas. You can take classes on renewable energy installation and sustainability theory at many community colleges. Don't forget to get a dose of econ and financial analysis, you've got a lot of convincing to do."

Yea

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey ItsAllOver I don't mind a good rant if it's on point as yours is. Coal needs to be eliminated IMO it's too polluting. Again this will require us to simply use less and consume less. However you say "I don't think that people will feel a real decrease in western-style standard of living" I have to completely disagree with that. I think people confuse energy and technology. Technology will have diminishing returns as our energy sources run out and global warming causes turmoil. Many people ( I'm not saying you) always conjure up a mythical "they" that will "invent something" to save our lifestyles. I'm skeptical but then again I'm bias since I hate Western style consumerism anyway.

Do some serious research on nanotechnology dude. It is going to change every aspect of culture and society. Once solar panels can have their cells perfectly aligned atom by atom (and I mean perfect) we will be able to capture close to 80% of the usable energy. I think solar panels today only capture less then 10%. Not only energy, but it's going to revolutionize every aspect of your life. Maybe not your life considering this is probably 100-150 years away, but the things they will be able to do will blow your mind. Whether the impact will be positive or negative is going to be relative to your access to the technology.

cashmunny

It's supply and demand. Too many undereducated people in this country competing for low skill jobs. Everyone wants to be a baller but no one wants to suffer for it. Most kids are more interested in drinking, smoking pot and hand jobs in high school than taking AP calculus. Except for the asian students. Which is why they'll be running the show more and more.

If you have a degree in something useful like engineering or accounting or medicine you'll do fine.

zenoonez

Veteran
Sam I didn't like the bailout any more than anyone and the govts lack of enforcement of their obvious leverage over the industry was terrible. We should still own 51% of a ton of banks. However, there had to be a bailout. I mean with complete and utter lack of liquidity within the banking industry there would be no banks loaning money out at anything less than usury rates forcing banks to stop lending which means that no one can buy a house, car, boat, etc unless they have the money on hand or they can find a bank with any sort of good financial standing. It would have been catastrophic to the consumer and industrial markets. We are talking about people starving, soup lines, huge rise in homelessness. It had to be done, but again, we should have gotten more out of it than we did.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Hahaha I took AP Calculus. That class was hell. As long as you are dedicated to what you want out of life, you will get somewhere. A bachelor's degree is like a high school diploma now. I think employers are increasingly looking for Master's degrees.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Hey zenoonez, I disagree.

When it was all said and done with the banker bailout cost us 23 trillion. They could have paid off every american home mortgage for 11 trillion.

phattybudz

Jesus this thread got huge fast... I have been bitching about getting less pay and fewer hours this year and bitching about having to do side jobs but this is a reminder I'm lucky to have a job at all.

Hang in there guys.

I have a crappy job pays 9.50/hr but I am soon quitting. Been there over a year and its time to move on(Started at 8.75).
Im a student but my education isnt something im dedicated too 100% as I am trying to pay bills and save money(Work with too many people that have degrees and can be my parents).
Im glad I found growing I just wish I would have done it sooner.
Respect to all those in these tough times.

zenoonez

Veteran
Hey zenoonez, I disagree.

When it was all said and done with the banker bailout cost us 23 trillion. They could have paid off every american home mortgage for 11 trillion.

You can certainly disagree, that is your right. However, the "mortgage meltdown" is coupled with systemic business failure which dumps even more real estate(generally illiquid commercial properties) onto banks which aren't normally equipped to handle even a moderate level of real estate. This property just sits on the market and on the bank's books because no one is buying homes because they can't get loans because the inter banking loans are almost non existent. We didn't just work with people's mortgages, our biggest problem was the lack of liquidity between banks which made the every day processes of banks slow down and almost stop. We poured money into the loaning market to increase this and banks simply borrowed money to buy other banks. It was sickening to be honest. Like I said, I disagree with how it was done but I don't disagree with the estimation that it needed to be done.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
It's supply and demand. Too many undereducated people in this country competing for low skill jobs. Everyone wants to be a baller but no one wants to suffer for it. Most kids are more interested in drinking, smoking pot and hand jobs in high school than taking AP calculus. Except for the asian students. Which is why they'll be running the show more and more.

If you have a degree in something useful like engineering or accounting or medicine you'll do fine.

haha the asians got alot of stuff going in the grow game too, alot of that dark purple that people be smoking all across the country is courtesy of the asian growers in the bay area. they almost exclusively run dark purples. they are also buying up almost all the cheap houses right now in cali, chinese investment companies are gonna be owning half of california.

Indeed. Keynesian economics is a farce - it's been proven time and time again to fail. The history books don't tell you this though, they are too highly influenced by the social elite that rely upon it for their power.

Check out these excerpts. Leave behind your preconceptions and see what you think.

"So you think money is the root of all evil?"

The Trial of Hank Rearden

Peace

Oh, and I'll second the need for understanding of Austrian economics and how it differs from Keynesian economics which is practiced today and brought us the concept that government economic stimulus is effective, which it simply cannot be.

C

Coloradan

ItsAllOver, I guess we can disagree about whether technology will save our way of life. Not saying your wrong but we just have to wait and see.
Nanotechnology is exactly what I mean when I talk about pie in the sky fixes that wont' come until it's too late.

Hey KillaCali im lucky enough I just got work at a new dispensary here in Denver. I make10.00\hr and I'm a student too. It's cool your dedicated. Stay in school no matter what. Growing can always bail you out.

D

deepforest

I saw this type of shit(un-employment/economy) coming back in Prez. Reagans dayze.
The puppets that have been stuck up on the hill in Wash. DC. are all idiot mouthpieces
of an expanding Government...as well as the rest of the world also.

I hoarded my cash, dropped a few thou into gold, bought some cheap mountain
property and went off-grid. I no longer need a J.O.B. to live, I produce everything
I use myself. I pay me.
Sorry if this seems dick-ass hard, but have any of you whiners thought about
being SELF-RELIANT and doing for yourselves instead of boo-hoo ing and wishing
someone would come along and pat your pampers and GIVE it all to you on a
silver platter with a gold spoon stuck up yer butt??
Yeah, yeah...I know...ya all say that you are willing to work for a living, but what you
are really saying is that you want someone to take care of you so you dont have to.
All most of you know how to do is work for the other person and make them rich,
not yourself. Ask yourself this: What in hell would you do IF there was NEVER another
job to be had? Huh?
I cut wood everyday. I water livestock everyday. I make my own soap. I grow my
own veggies. I butcher my own meats. I hunt. I produce my own electricty.
I collect rainwater for bathing and I dug my own pond by hand.
NO-ONE does shit for me. NO-ONE pays my way. I WORK FOR ME!!!!!
Try it, you might like being your own person and FREE for a change and not tied
to Civilized propaganda bullshit, like you seem to be.
Not meaning to flame, or bruise egos, but I mean...for real...what do you expect?
Someone to come along and make all the bad go away?
Live FREE as a real person, or DIE as a debtor slave.
Your choice....
peace

inspiring

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Waiting and seeing is not going to get much done... Why be so skeptical about answers that we already have? I'm not saying that technology is the whole answer. Conservation is of course a huge part of it, but a lot of what allows conservation is technology... Those are in essence the only two things that can do anything about the issue, right? What else will, if not those? Also, define "too late". (I ask that just to be a dick, lol, because it's hard to define too late let alone determine when it will be)
I'm just trying to see what is causing you to disagree, because I'd like to consider it myself...

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Just responding to the OP, haven't read a single reply, have no idea where this thread is at, just my thoughts on the OP.

Depends on where you are. I spent a year in CA "self employed", looking for a job for a year. I was picky, but well qualified for more a wide variety of things.
After a year, I start waiting tables. A whole nother year, not one call, in 2 years of applying for all kinds of shit, not 1 phone call.

Fast forward...
Move, get the same job I had essentially for the last year the day I apply, not glamorous but cash in hand.
Then 4 weeks after I am there, I get a call from the place I actually wanted to work at. Amazing, especially after spending the last 2 years not getting a call, and the irony was that I had applied for the same job in CA, and only got an email saying that I was unqualified for a position that I not only had, that was an entry level position, but I had also been promoted into management a year after that, so I was more than qualified for the position, but they said unqualified.

Get to where I am now, apply for the same job, hired.

It's where you are at.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Indeed. Keynesian economics is a farce - it's been proven time and time again to fail. The history books don't tell you this though, they are too highly influenced by the social elite that rely upon it for their power.

Books exist that extol Austrian econ and there are those that denounce Keynesianism, they're just not widely read! Actually I think the problem is not that Keynes is not mentioned/ideas explained but that Austrian econ is left out entirely in most economics classes. Austrian econ was long ago laughed out of the room by uneducated or "specially interested" parties. George Mason University is dedicated to it, though and is working with others to spread the understanding.

I wish people that didn't know what they were talking about would be honest and stfu! The ignorant masses are clamoring at the feet of the government to come to their rescue, but they don't realize that the government caused the problem in the first place, and that the data exists out there for them to study and figure it out. They are so myopic that they clamor for their own destruction. It is the business owners in this world that allow the goods and services that we enjoy to be produced. If you don't want to be an "enslaved employee," then quit your job and figure out a better way to make your living. But you have to make your living, no one else is going to do it for you.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
make your own work.......

make your own work.......

not afraid of moderate heights?

how about residential window washing &/or gutter cleaning?
it's cheap assed start up costs w/near zero overhead.......

chimney sweep? I'm not familiar w/the required knowledge
but once it's learned the tools look moderately inexpensive.

don't like heights?

learn how to install those interlocking cement blocks and
offer to do residential walkways, patios then driveways.

I'll tell you all a story about my uncle Jerry who in the height of The Depression needed work badly, nobody was hiring of course so he chose one company wisely, The New York Daily News. Newspapers sold daily regardless of the economy and he saw this opportunity even though he was told several times that they were not hiring.......

He went out and bought himself a new broom and dustpan, he stayed outside the walls but within sight of all and cleaned the loading docks area, the alleys and the street out in front of the office building. He ran errands if asked by employees. He was approached by management and asked to leave but wouldn't take no for an answer several times. Finally after nearly 2 months of Jerry getting there early and being there daily as if he were clocking in they gave in and hired him.

He worked there for 44 years and into a position of 'troubleshooter' for any problems w/Daily News vendors, he was known by every newsstand operator I ran into in manhattan, the bronx, queens, LI, & westchester county. He started every morning in church btw, no lie he had the keys to the front door & was there before 6am. Because of his resolve and mannerisms he was overtly compassionate and even news vendors he had problems collecting moneys from appreciated the way he treated them and their problems with dignity.

So if push comes to shove pick a company that's not going down in this
economy and go there broom in hand and get busy, be neat and clean,
smoke cigs far away from the building and show up every damned day as if
you really have a job there. Fuck it, I'd go do it @ UPS or FedEx but you might
have to pass a pee test sometime after hiring @ joints like that.......

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
It's good to see that there are people here who actually want to start businesses. I would like to suggest a new green approach. If you want to run a pizza shop and you have land available. I've would be thinking about growing all the ingredients myself using organic practices. This is the future. You could actually have a competitive edge doing this..

The trick is not to sell organic tomatoes, wheat, meat etc..but to combine your produce into a marketable product!

Still starting pizza shops will not help your country in the larger scheme of things. America needs to export and needs start producing again. This is not a simple task by any measure..