What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any mountain bikers out there?

budsnblunts

Veteran
I 100% agree with you there mick, thanks for that advice about to derailleur. I absoluteness smashed it to pieces a couple days back hahahaha. Little wheel barrow trailers connected to their bikes for those nuts lol.

Mick

Veteran
Danny's a legend. It's been fun watching his riding evolve over the years. I don't know how he can top that though.

I soon learnt that whenever I heard a stick in the back wheel that it was time to stop pronto as sometimes a little stick can destroy your derailleur real fast. I had a dog once that used to delight in picking up sticks in the bush and jamming them into the spokes of my back wheel. Must have gone through a dozen derailleurs before I finally read him the riot act.

budsnblunts

Veteran
Ouch, that sounds like a hassle. But also awesome to have your dog with you like that. I'm off to get a new hanger and derailleur tomorow, ninty bucks later but I guess it is better then the frame itself being damaged. I can't watch those vids of him mountain biking my palms sweat up a storm. Fuck knows where they get the idea to do half of that stuff man. Got to give them props I guess. Hope he's not the next Steve Irwin. That noise you speak of on the back wheel. I shall take that advice for the rest of my biking riding life.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just got back from a little 21 mile trip to the trails on the new ice cream truck....2 strava top tens today...this bike rips!!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

and a pic from and awesome ride out into some fairly remote areas on a pretty crappy day...
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
surly put them on sale a few weeks ago so i only paid 1080 for the basic bike,they used to be 2450 to give you an idea how steeply discounted they were,plus i get a shop discount...then i redid the drivetrain with a wolf tooth 28 tooth drop stop chainring up front and a shimano xt 11 speed on the rear, a set of race face atlas riser bars and some various bits of bling so another 600 and i plan on getting a bluto for it at some point soon but even so i will have a semi custom bike and still be in for less than the original msrp...

B

birdman_

Yea WoW. that Looks Mean All over. Like the Wheels and Love The BEEFY Tyres
Are those tyres especially for that terrain?

Also that front Sprocket stood Out to Me.. Looks REAL SMALL!? (Comparing to my 'things'^!)
Spose thats for speed ?!

Yup.. ? !

Like a video game that vid^ Soo fast.. I can take my road turning flat out on 'my horse' but that Stealth job..Holly ...molly,...
lol...?!!

Last edited:
B

birdman_

Right,so like the Opposite !? i think

Shows How much i know!! ..LOL .. ..Yup Large front small back = speed!.
^Some of those Rear Sprockets/Gears are larger than the front even!
..= Hillclimb ! :tiphat:

:joint:

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,thats road bikes you're thinking of...

heck,i dont even have the biggest rear cog available,they make a 45 tooth now,i only have a 40 tooth on the back! with a 1x11 drivetrain or a 1x10 you have to factor in what you're going to do with the bike,on my karate monkey i have a 34 tooth up front and a 42 in the back and that bike is crazy fast but still climbs well...but its also 7 lbs lighter...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I love hucking my meat be it either on a bike or snowboard. I would do that Inches from Death run. I like the flowy and hucky terrain more so than just straight up techy downhill - that stuff definitely gets me in the back seat and on the brakes. haha. I have an older bike that has really had the piss beaten out of it over the years and it's time to part it out and send it on its way. I don't know what I would do to get another bike, probably be an enduro over a freeride rig. They have gotten pretty beefy in recent years while still being able to climb. I get up to Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park whenever I can, love that place. Would highly recommend it if you've never been. :yes:

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
enjoy it while you can,im 50 now and the normal trails are exciting enough for me...plus i like to earn my turns and ride to the top,that park riding is for young folks!
pretty amazing what bikes can do these days though,the place people are able to ride now..

Mick

Veteran
Hey, I couldn't get that vid to go much past 5 minutes but I'll try again later.
That things flies and looks like a mountain bike too. Would be fun on a fast, flowy track.
A guy from around here made an adult version of a kids scooter, with an electric motor that does about 60k's an hour. It seems a lot faster as your feet are only a couple of inches off the ground.

Mick

Veteran
just got back from a little 21 mile trip to the trails on the new ice cream truck....2 strava top tens today...this bike rips!!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

and a pic from and awesome ride out into some fairly remote areas on a pretty crappy day...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT]

Hey, nice pics, never done any desert riding but looks good and must be lots of fun. It's wall to wall trees and mountains around here. Starting to see a few of those fat bikes around here. Guys ride them up in the snow and reckon they are too much fun. The local bike store guy built one up that was soooooo light but would of cost a bit I bet.

Mick

Veteran
I love hucking my heat be it either on a bike or snowboard. I would do that Inches from Death run. I like the flowy and hucky terrain more so than just straight up techy downhill - that stuff definitely gets me in the back seat and on the brakes. haha. I have an older bike that has really had the piss beaten out of it over the years and it's time to part it out and send it on its way. I don't know what I would do to get another bike, probably be an enduro over a freeride rig. They have gotten pretty beefy in recent years while still being able to climb. I get up to Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park whenever I can, love that place. Would highly recommend it if you've never been. :yes:

Hey, you want to check out the new All Mountain Bikes-Enduro, as they've come a long way. Light and super strong. You can pretty much do most things on them that a downhill bike will do, just a bit slower, but you get to ride to the top under your own power. Some of them make awesome light Free-ride bikes too. If you want to get into some serious fun, check out the Santa Cruz Bronson.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mountains we have,trees not so much...but its pretty much all open country with miles and miles of 4wd roads so theres plenty to explore,theres maybe 50-60 miles of trails...but really the fat bike allows you to ride nearly anywhere you can keep the pedals going...