What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any mountain bikers out there?

Saguaro

Hey Unclefishstick...... nice fatty you got there!

And how are you liking those ESI chunkys? I'll probably switch back to those next time I race, but for now, I ended up switching those out for some ODI Rogues which I absolutely Love!

I'm currently riding a 16' Superfly 9.6 HT carbon with a bunch of upgrades and this bike climbs just like a mountain goat.

It's funny, but the pic of the trail you posted on the previous page looks really really familiar. As in I may have even been there recently...........

I'm out here in southern AZ.....so, if you're anywhere near this way, we should get together sometime. I try and get out there at least 3-4 times a week and average about 15-30 miles per ride.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like the esi grips a bunch,only ones my hands dont go numb on...but all my bikes are full rigid...i suppose its possible,those trails are right near the highway,it would only take 5 minutes to get there,im east of you however...

Saguaro

Oh ok... i guess its easy to be mistaken considering most all desert trails look the similar to one another.

the furthest east I have ridden is the AZT in Vail and all the way up into the Catalinas.... beautiful scenery.

So fully rigid huh? how techy are trail you ride? mostly cross country i'd imagine.

Also, how are you liking that wolftooth 28?

I sooooo want to switch out my 2x10 for a 1x11 on my hardtail

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i suppose that would depend on how you define techy but theres only one "black diamond" trail around here...that said theres still plenty of short sections here that not many people can ride cleanly.but most of the trails around here tend to be reasonably smooth...i do a lot of riding on the gazillion miles of jeep roads around here,and the fat bike can go pretty much anywhere...

the wolftooth is great,really happy with the 1x11 xt drivetrain thats on that bike,i never feel like i need more range and pretty much every ride i use every single gear at some point...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another nice mid-winter day on the trails...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got the stock bike for 1089...but its been customized with a shimano xt 11 speed drivetrain,wolf tooth 28 tooth chainring,a race face ride stem and race face atlas riser bars and jagwire mountain pro cables,so i have about 1600 into it...pretty cheap really...oh yeah,a 200 dollar pair of tires coming...

budsnblunts

Veteran
Holy heck.... I have only just started biking. I chewed up a hanger and re deraileur, I cheaped it out and straightened my hanger, think it's mucking with my gear tension cable becuase I just can't cycle all the way through them.... Tried all sorts. That 11 speed drivetrain sounds complicated. Awesome though I bet. I have to make the dash and spend the money on something decent. Those tires have got me....

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
naw,its pretty simple,only one shifter to deal with so its just up or down the gears...yup,the traction and float on those big tires is pretty crazy,hard to shake it loose really...its a lot of bike to pedal though,it can get tiring...

Saguaro

Here's my XL Superfly 9.6 carbon hardtail last week when I was riding one of my favorite trails.

*Easton Arc 30mm inner diameter wheels w/ DT35 hubs and star ratchets.

*29" Maxxis Ikon 2.35 wheels on tubeless

*Crankbrother 750mm carbon bars

*Raceface 80mm Stem

*ODI Rogue Grips

*Raceface Next carbon seat post

*WTB Pure V race saddle

*Rockshox Reba fork with RCT3 A3 damper upgrade and added 2 bottomless tokens.

*Shimano XT M780 SPD Peddles

For an XL frame...the bike weighs in at 23.5lbsand can knock it down to 23 even if i switched out the Rogues for the ESI's.

Bike has costs me a total of about $4,300 so far.........and now im looking into a full suspension carbon bike.

Attachments

• chutes9.jpg
    chutes9.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 25

budsnblunts

Veteran
Jesus christ Saguaro, that set up sounds jaw dropping, that picture is breath taking. I am nearly feeling envy for the first time in my life. Right, time to get started. I better start looking for a project.

Mick

Veteran
Ohh SHII'''''' Check this One out ... :woohoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdETIjfngo

^ the guy Wheelles her on the way back.. ..For yonks!!.. :) (love....it!,)

jus 'WOA!

Shoplifters joy!!! lol ... kidding.

Hey, just came across another vid of the Stealth Bomber. I want one :)

I see an old guy in his 70's ripping along on his electric bike with a big smile on his face, while I'm walking dog up in the bush. He can get his to about 40 k's. Looks a lot of fun. It's not a Stealth but his son wants him to buy one. I suspects the son is after his inheritance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuwESVujaHg

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,yeah,its pretty hellish at times in the summer because theres never a speck of shade to be found....you try and remember riding in shorts and t shirt in mid january then...but yeah,in mid summer a long ride means leaving before the sun comes up and getting home early...or carrying 5-6 liters of water...and still getting home just ahead of the cramps...

B

birdman_

Hey, just came across another vid of the Stealth Bomber. I want one :)

I see an old guy in his 70's ripping along on his electric bike with a big smile on his face, while I'm walking dog up in the bush. He can get his to about 40 k's. Looks a lot of fun. It's not a Stealth but his son wants him to buy one. I suspects the son is after his inheritance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuwESVujaHg

WOW man ...SOME Exhilirating Video that is.The Stealth bomber is Truely under strain in His Hands.. See how fast he was going! :D And especially Down that bank,lol.
:woohoo:
^ the old guys Correct! :) .. Quite Satisfying (Especially if ya a lazy ass!) ..on the road that is.

UFS that Terrain is Terrific,riding BAKED Must be "scary" Sometimes..
(if you ever do!?)
Also Very Entertaining and " LIGHT " sometimes .... :D

^ Reminds me of the westerns i grew up with in the 70's namely Clint eastwoods
n shots from the fall guy,chips etc

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
naw,i usually only get baked on rides that will be 3-4 hours long,something where im planning on stopping to eat...i just get super baked before i leave...