What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any advantage in 10'' over 6'' bucket lid/net pots?

Shafto

I doubt there would be any difference at all from 8 to 10. DHF thinks you shouldn't use a netpot at all from what I gather. A custom container with only holes on the bottom.

He explains my large root out of water as a cord root, but the ones I can't take pics of right now that come out the bottom, that are just as large, he has not said anything about, just repeats how he's grown thousands of plants and how other people could explain it better.

I'm not intending to be a smart ass at all. You just keep assuming things about my setup. The wiki seems to confirm what I'm seeing too. That large roots spawn smaller roots, and so on, just like branches above ground. I also don't have anything to back it up, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to say that genetics only influence above ground growth.

No water drop.. and a fat root an inch above the frothing water with 18L/min of air pumping through is not dry my friend. There's nute solution dripping off of everything.. the lid, net pot, down every root. That root grew that big to transport that massive amount of nutrients from all the small roots to the plant.

David762

My experience is with soil indoors ...

My experience is with soil indoors ...

I'm in the same boat I have small netpots and was told to go bigger and after this thread I think I'll conduct a test in my 4 bucket rdwc.

I'm thinking I have 4 spots for 4 different size net pots,I'll try the 4" I have in there now a 6" a 8" and a 10" to see what the difference is,

It should be a good side by side because all 4 plants will be in the exact same conditions in the same exact nute mix under the same 1000hps.

What do you guys think? Can I smash all these accusations of bigger gets more yield?
Sound

and the larger the pot for root mass, the bigger the plant -- and the bigger the plant, the bigger the yield. But YMMV, and there is a big difference between using soil and using hydro, AFAIK.

There are a large number of variations in indoor growing styles -- SOG, SCROG, or Stadium, and Horizontal versus Vertical lighting. Some people work at "continuous grow-ops", with harvesting every 2 weeks, versus "one shot". Some methods take a high degree of regular maintenance, while others practically take care of themselves. It's all "different strokes for different folks", so YMMV.

D

DHF

That`s not 1 big root Shafto.......it`s other cordroots branched off the same one.........above the floodline.....

And yes......for the record from doin this many many yrs and seeing restricted growth and yield from netpots of ANY size , that roots out the sides above the floodline cause problems and affect yield......

Thus why the old tried and true bucket in a bucket or pre-made aquafarms like Heathie`s used forever with only holes in the bottoms of Highflow "DWC" setups are the shit and produce accordingly.......

Shafto.......You`ve grown a 76 oz plant ?....No ?......Well I`m sure you`ve grown a 40 oz plant , right ?.......

That`s my best EVERY run with 40`s for almost a decade , and Heath just finished damn near a 5 lb`er with the same setup he`s been rockin WITHOUT cordroots for yrs and yrs in a lil `ol "aquafarm" setup that`s maybe a 3.5 gal container sittin on top of another one somewhat bigger for larger rootmass to support a bigger plant.....With no "air gap" as you so falsely advertised your setup as being.......

Quit defending your way and go look up/research what you`re doing .....Guaranteed it`s out there in google land , but for the 3rd time after I asked you to do so , you`ve still come back with snide remarks instead of knowledge gained or attempted to be gained.......

Now........Leave me outta your next conversation and I`ll not come back and show your shortcomings.....What matters the most is understanding the limits on dialage and moving forward for more bottom line......

Ego`s got nuthin ta do with knowledge and experience gained from recognising the variables and overcoming em for the end result......increased yields................

DHF.......

Shafto

".......it`s other cordroots branched off the same one"

What does that even mean? You're calling my large fishbones cord roots now? Every root that's big has somehow twisted with another one? I haven't made any snide remarks, you're just not paying attention to what I'm saying. You don't read and comprehend my replies, because you have no reading comprehension? probably not, most likely because you're the one with an ego here and because I haven't grown "1000 plants" you just skim over what I've wrote and then go on to make some assumption like my water levels don't stay constant, when right at the beginning of this entire debacle, I explained my setup.

Why do you just keep blabbing on about how one guy, who's threads I have read and understand, has grown his weed, Heath has done a good job, I don't grow commercially, I don't use verticle lighting. I won't have a 76oz plant, However, it's still pretty easy for me to take in the information presented, as well as what I see right in front of my face. You still haven't addressed the roots just as large that have been submerged since the start of the grow.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Hey fella's, take a toke please. Shafto, I can dig what you are saying, stop letting DHF's way of understanding the gig bother you. There is no big difference in what we are saying here, if you do not get offended by choice of words or phrases. Toke.

Buddy, you gotta stay outta bars don'tch'a? I can also understand what you are saying, and agree, mostly. However, as another thousand plant chap, one thing paying attention has taught me. As soon as you take an absolute position, and say some thing can only be one way, you can count on nature to show you an exception, it is the way she works.

Now, if y'all play nice, I'll come back and ask a relevant question to the op.
H

D

DHF

Merry Xmas guys......Shafto.......Full apology on being overbearing and my one-sided-ness.......

Brotha Haps.....always appreciate the voice of reason and again full apology for stressing "perfect conditions" as the way I learned like you as well over the yrs while knowing you`re right about anything`s possible under uncertain conditions , but........

Cordroots extend below the flood level once formed , cannot change once exposed to environmental conditions that cause/start the process , and stay so till end of cycle for your answer you say I`ve avoided Shafto , so that`s why they continue to bottom of container doin the best they can for upper plant nutrient absorption thru all that thick shit they formed into regardless of your thinking bout the bubbling and splash from below being enough "moisture for the exposed area`s above floodline" , but I digress..............

There`s a thread at Farmer in the med states category named "Colorado Grown" using "Undercurrent" setup`s with the lil netpots , and pg 42 show`s Green Mopho`s roots to be "perfect as an example" of no cordroots in a fast hydro system with netpots and no "ebb and flow/rising and lowering" of juice from nutes being eaten and not replaced/topped off/added back immediately FTW......

With a constant level of juice an inch or so above the "bottoms" of the netpots with optimal flow through the roots in the lil baskets forced em straight down into the juice flow and formed rootmass EXACTLY like Heath`s "high flow" waterfarms using holes in the bottom of the upper container only.......but.....

If roots don`t reach out and form "above" the floodline from lack of juice , they won`t turn into cordroots to steal plant energy from the bottom line yield per plant IME.......

No alcohol involved in my responses Haps , only trying to let folks hear the truth instead of things "said to be fact" when in fact they`re not.......

Been cookin a whole"suckling" pig on my smoker since yesterday low and slow , and it`s all but done for Happy Ho-Ho`s and all the fixin`s in a few hrs..........Ya`ll come.....

And again Haps , no disrespect here on my end..........only schoolin tha folks with experience , not speculation and lack of knowledge......

Peace....DHF.......:ying:......

Big Tree

Too bad for you because here is the plant, 5 gallon water jug and tape measure for scale.

picture.php

picture.php

I don't smoke the stalk or net pot so if the plant doesn't mind the algae or salt why should I?

You show me a 16oz kush grown in a 6 or 8" and maybe I'd reconsider; however it is not possible to get the trunks in the smaller net pots.

Side by side the 10" kill the other smaller net pots. If it didn't matter at all why not go with even smaller 4" or 3" as used in some AERO systems? Biological organisms are proportional you can't raise large carp in a goldfish bowl, but with a pond your fish can get huge.

You don't have to believe it makes a difference, I'll keep on paying to fill the 10" net pots and you do your thing.

:joint:

Your shit looks unbelievable. I'm rethinking my whole setup now.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I have been lurking this thread for a little while now and just came up with some valid input.

I originally thought pot size didn't matter much but I had to see for myself, Since I am early in the veg stage with my current grow, I decided to pull one of my 6" baskets ( 5 gal bucket) and I can immediately see the advantage to the 10" pots. Now I see what Hydrosun is talking about.

The roots in the water to the bottom of the bucket are more like ropes, very little ability to pick uo O2 and nutes compared to the fuzzy (aeroponic like roots) in the hydroton of the pots. The entire 6" netpots were consumed by these fuzzy roots so I upgraded to 10" immediately. I assume the 10" pots will fill with these fuzzy roots and create alot more surface area exposed to nutes.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about, I believe these roots are much better than the ones under water.