What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any advantage in 10'' over 6'' bucket lid/net pots?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
You'll need some sort of trellis or ScrOG screen to tie them to. The only function of the hydroton in the netpot is to keep the roots from twisting and/or tearing and to stabilize the plant.

cyat

Veteran
I use a 5gal bucket of hydroton instead of a net pot this is resting in a 27 gal tub
picture.php

phattybudz

I don't see how a bigger netpot would have any disadvantage...

Especially with my setup, because I'm vegging in ebb n flow I think they will have more space for roots before transferring into DWC...

gardenbug

Could you show us a photo of your 5gal buckets? I don't understand what the base of the plant would look like with out a net pot, how is the plants weight supported?

:joint:

I use a screen to support them when they get bigger.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 12

jm420

Veteran
I Read somthing about a set up using styrofoam,Basically the same as garden bugs .It basically debunks the fact of an air gap being necesary,I will say I dont agree with the roping thing ,but heath got his shit rocking.some one should do a side by side airgap or no air gap.
I use 3 inch pots and get stalks and buds like green thumbsjust 5 inch pots to,I dont believe in DWC there much diffrence besides stability

Style

I run 2 inch net pots in 5 gal buckets in aero and have had results of over 20 oz per plant.

just food for thought

Ny2CaFuse

Ok I'm not usually one to call someone out on something... but I call bullshit, Style. A 20 zip plant in a 2" net pot? Wouldn't the stem alone be close to 2 inches? Is it just me or wouldn't that be like putting a dog collar on a puppy and never adjusting it as they got bigger? Pictures or it didn't happen.

Style

Ok I'm not usually one to call someone out on something... but I call bullshit, Style. A 20 zip plant in a 2" net pot? Wouldn't the stem alone be close to 2 inches? Is it just me or wouldn't that be like putting a dog collar on a puppy and never adjusting it as they got bigger? Pictures or it didn't happen.

...yeah I remember my first grow too you newb

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
pic worth 1000 words but damn that vid was better nice trees ya got there style. but i bet a 2in net does look like a puppy colar on a dog.lol now that i think bout it , shit im jealous i fukin hate washin all the hydroton. if i grew in 2in nets i would take my chainsaw cut at base and toss the whole stump netpot and roots in the trash. oh yea and the few pieces of hydroton that are in the net pot to.lol i bag would do a whole run and have more
peace

Shafto

You might need a bigger net pot if your roots are starting to bend your current one.

I guess I'll be cutting out all the holes bigger next time around, but I think I'll actually keep these 6" pots.. I don't really want to change a thing, 22 days into flower right now. Also rollin' with zero air gap.

picture.php

picture.php

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I know I haven't been here long.. NY.. but the proof is in the puddin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_7OsUrzDtQ&p=170E777A521B9265

It was a nice video, however they appeared to be in an Aero system, I was really hoping to see the 2" net pot and 5gal bucket = 20oz photo.

I too have hit the 20oz+ plant mark with a shitty Aussie Blue 90% sativa. There are a lot of things I can do to make my game better and tighter; however I really think for 5gal buckets 10" net pots are best.

:joint:

D

DHF

The biggest downside I see to using smaller netpots is the development of "cord roots" out the sides of the smaller upper containers where there`s ALWAYS an airgap on the sides of the bottom bucket , as is plainly shown by Shafto`s pics above even though he`s running no air gap below the netpots.......

I ran 5 gal buckets of lava inside 5 gal buckets for over a dozen yrs with 2 different setups , and roots on the bottoms instead of out the sides always worked for me.......

Heath`s souped up aquafarms had holes on the bottoms with none on the sides for "zero" airgap anywhere in the rootzones......

And for the record , I fully agree on the bigger rootmass being built in the upper container letting em support themselves growing a healthier plant with more yield capacity , even though you can fill a toothpick hole with a plant running DWC and let the roots live in the water as long as they`re supported from above with no airgaps that is , along with whole buncha dissolved oxygen.........

Just what I witnessed first hand lotta yrs.........DHF.....

Shafto

I think you're minunderstanding my picture DHF.

That's a single root grown to that thickness, there is no cording.

One could also look at the extra root mass in a larger net pot as wasted time in root developement, get them into the solution so the DWC can work it's magic. It's all just conjecture though until someone does a proper side by side. I honestly doub't the difference would be very noticeable.

D

DHF

Looks like spun roots to me Bro......I mean no disrespect and I`m sure your plants are doin fine , but go to Heath`s thread and look at those cord roots and compare yours to his white hairy/fine root hair mass underneath his upper containers........

If the sides of your netpot are under water constantly , then it is as you say , just don`t think the smaller netpots can compare with the bigger upper containers per the original post....

Not hatin on your roots Shafto.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:...

Shafto

I just thoguht it might be harder to tell with the pic. I've been through the heath thread a few times. It's not twisted roots, just really large ones. Another pheno of the same strain has the same sized root ball, but many more (still thick but not as thick) roots protruding from the net.

There is a huge fine root mass under each one, but just like smaller shoots grow from stems, so do smaller roots off of big ones.

I've seen dug-up outdoor root shots of plants with roots over an inch thick, they're not twisted or corded, just a main vein for all the fine roots to transfer their nutes through.

My roots aren't perfectly white because of the humic acid in my nute mix, along with the sugardaddy. Very normal.

I didn't ever think you were hating.. just no need for confusion. If your plant is doing well enough, it will grow huge from a 2" pot as posted earlier, or with no pot, foam, and a screen to support the plant as also posted.

The point is it probably doesn't matter what size the net pot is.. you're plant will grow based on how you treat it. If it's doing well enough it will rip your net pot apart as they started doing to mine, I don't think it was very hindered.. a 6" net pot will definitely not restrict your stem thickness compared to a 10"

D

DHF

Shafto.....Please look at page 19 on Heath`s thread to let you know that roots above the flood line and in open air without the benefit of constant juice form "cord roots" exactly like what you have coming out the sides of your 6" netpots........

That`s my point completely with smaller upper containers in a DWC environment when everything below the upper container`s not covered in oxygenated juice......

Not arguing Bro , just trying to allow you ta dial your next setup without an "air gap" on the sides of your container from the bottom of the net pots to the top of the container as you most surely have.......

Now....Since there`s no confusion , let`s get back to dialage and why bigger upper containers full of lava rocks or other mediums handle supporting healthy plants that do better as a rule from what I`ve seen for many many yrs........

Growing with no medium and buncha water underneath with support from above to support major weight in late flower causes problems in swellage and less yield IME , so believe me I`ve been there........

Your roots out the side look like a tap root on a seed plant that bury`s itself vertically as deep as the plants container will allow.......Not out the sides with more to accompany em.....

The Youtube vid`s lil deceiving IMO , but I`ve been wrong before......

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:......

Shafto

I'm sorry you've never seen really large plants in hydro before with a thick rooting strain DHF, it's a sight to behold. -Again, not spun or corded as you describe on page 19. Single roots, big difference.

It's unfortunate that your endevour into supporting with a net didn't work, one of the other millions of variables in this hobby I'm sure, as many others have had plenty of success.

It's funny when people speak like their words or experiences are gospel and all applying.

D

DHF

Bro .....Grew 2 1/2 lb plants EVERY run doin Krusty buckets for over 8 yrs.........

Not callin things other than what I`ve experienced first hand from juice levels falling below where they needed to be in my yrs of doin this.........

Sorry Shafto......just callin em like I see em.....

No newbie with big plants outside OR in for 30 yrs......

DHF.....