PXL_20240218_010158214.jpg

Main grow.

PXL_20240218_010243552.jpg

Clones for the next set.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pulling off a good looking group of flowers there! May be better results than last summer! Thats a good idea, got the plants out vegging with additional light ready for the next season. Got it down pro! Fun stuff.

Looking back at the oil you made for capsules, considering what to do myself. Could you use it topically as well as orally?

BrassNwood

Veteran
Pulling off a good looking group of flowers there! May be better results than last summer! Thats a good idea, got the plants out vegging with additional light ready for the next season. Got it down pro! Fun stuff.

Looking back at the oil you made for capsules, considering what to do myself. Could you use it topically as well as orally?

I don't see why not beside the chance it'll stain the skin a bit. One of the people I gift capsules to uses the oil as both edible and topical. I've not tried it personally, but I can't tell you just why not off hand.

Mostly when I hurt, I just gobble another couple of Capsules and zoom off to dance on the rings of Saturn again.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Never once tried a purple strain because they don't change color that way here at the sweltering Equator. It is surreal to see a bumper harvest of purple bud that matured beautifully thanks to supplemental light. This is the handwork of a seasoned master of the art.

BrassNwood

Veteran
PXL_20240312_000819082.jpg

Got up to the grow early yesterday morning and hammered out well over half of the remaining standing plants. I'll have to see how the rest of the week plays out with doctor appointments and such to get the last 5 down.

Leaving again today for the halfway house as it's much closer to hospital choice #2. Dry run-on Wednesday to time the run and be sure of where we're going although it's really close to a now passed pal Jame's old house RIP old friend. Likely have lunch at Canters Fairfax since it's right around the corner.

1710247508043.png

Since 1931, Canter's has been serving up LA's finest deli cuisine. Voted the best pastrami by the LA Times and LA Weekly, Canter's prides itself on delivering the amazing experience that has kept its clientele returning over-and-over again for decades. This culinary landmark is lovingly managed by the third- and fourth generations of the Canter family, who take a hands-on approach to ensure the highest quality in every aspect of the restaurant. Whether it's the freshly baked breads, or the famous house-made pickles, Canter's always goes the extra mile to provide the authentic, traditional Jewish deli experience, which helped grow the restaurant from a small storefront to the massive operation that it is today. As inviting as its food, Canter's is also known for its welcoming ambiance, a perfect blend of contemporary comfort with the nostalgic charm of its stylish 1950's decor. Canter's continues to stand out as a unique dining experience that transports patrons back to the golden age of delis.

Canter's Deli is one of California's oldest delis. Located in Los Angeles' Miracle Mile District -the heart and soul of the entertainment industry - Canter's Delicatessen is a third-generation family-run business whose owners have an intense pride in their deli and a hands-on work ethic.

It all began in Jersey City, New Jersey in 1924. After losing a deli in the 1929 stock market crash, Ben Canter and his two brothers moved to California with just $500 in their pockets. Eager to succeed, they opened up a Canter Brother's Delicatessen in 1931 in Boyle Heights, the Jewish center of Los Angeles.

When the character of the neighborhood changed, Ben Canter's daughter, Selma Udko, and her then husband, Harold Price, partnered with Ben Canter and his wife, Jennie, to purchase a prime location at 439 North Fairfax Avenue. And instead of calling it Canter's Brothers they called it Canter's Fairfax.

In 1953 this new team purchased the old Esquire Theatre at 419 North Fairfax and moved Canter's Deli just up the street to the larger location.

For over seventy-five years now this third-generation family-owned business has served food to locals, tourist, and celebrities alike. With its Art Deco décor and its trademark autumn leaves ceiling, this hangout has hardly changed in its over half century at its current location.

As Sheryll Bellman wrote in her book, Americas Great Delis:

"You wouldn't think that Los Angeles could have a deli rival to New Yorks, but for those who know and love the deli culture and appreciate all that it evokes, this place is heaven. Voted the #1 Best Pastrami by the Los Angeles Times, Canter's Deli sandwiches are always served on rye, unless you ask for something else, but don't do that! Made famous for its corned beef and pastrami sandwiches Canter's Deli boasts of serving the best quality food at reasonable prices.
------------------------------------------------------------

Naturally Google maps offered the 2 longest most traffic laden routes The I-10 or Laurel Canyon? Are you nuts? Stupid computer there is a faster way in past the Hollywood Bowl.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Method 2

Freeze Drying with Dry Ice​

1. Step 1 Wash the produce you want to freeze dry and cook any meat.
    Wash the produce you want to freeze dry and cook any meat. Wash fruit and vegetables under cool running water before patting each item dry with a paper towel. If you’re drying poultry, beef, or fish, make sure to cook them first.[13]
    • Pasta noodles should be cooked as well.
    • You don’t need to wash cheeses before you freeze dry them.

2. Step 2 Slice larger items into chunks about 1–2 inches (2.5–5.1 cm) across.
    Slice larger items into chunks about 1–2 inches (2.5–5.1 cm) across. Use a sharp knife to slice larger fruit and vegetables into small chunks about 1 inch (2.5 cm) to 2 inches (5.1 cm) across. If you’re freeze drying cooked meat, slice it into slivers less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Try to make each piece the same size so they freeze dry at the same rate.[14]
    • Small fruits like blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries can be freeze dried whole.
    • Slice larger pieces of produce like potatoes, apples, and pears into smaller chunks.
    • If you’re freeze drying a loaf of bread, use a serrated knife to cut it into slices about 1⁄2 inch (1.3 cm) thick.

3. Step 3 Put the chopped food chunks into freezer bags and seal the bags.
    Put the chopped food chunks into freezer bags and seal the bags. Put the sliced chunks into freezer bags. Be sure to put only 1 type of food per bag rather than mixing different kinds of foods together. Then, push out all of the air from the bags with your hands or by rolling the air out (toward the opening) with a rolling pin.[15]
    • Pushing out the air will ensure that no ice crystals form on the food.

4. Step 4 Choose a storage box large enough that the bags only fill it half way.
    Choose a storage box large enough that the bags only fill it half way. A large styrofoam cooler or large plastic container with a lid will work nicely. Note that the box will have to fit inside of your freezer, so if you have a small freezer, you may only be able to freeze dry small quantities of food at a time.[16]
    • Pick a plastic container you don’t plan to use for other purposes because you’ll need to put holes in the lid.

5. Step 5 Pour 1 pound (0.45 kg) of dry ice into the bottom of the box.
    Pour 1 pound (0.45 kg) of dry ice into the bottom of the box. Put on heavy duty gloves like leather or work gloves to pour dry ice over into the bottom of the box until it forms an even layer. The amount of dry ice you need to use is equal to the weight of the food. So if you’re freezing 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of food, you’ll need about 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of dry ice.[17] If it doesn’t cover the entire bottom of the box, add another 1 pound (0.45 kg) until it does.
    • Depending on the width and length of the box, 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of dry ice should be enough for up to 4 layers of food.
    • Don’t touch the dry ice with your bare hands—it will burn your skin! If you don’t have heavy duty or leather gloves, use oven mitts or thick kitchen towels.
    • Purchase dry ice cubes online or at your local grocery store or supermarket.

6. Step 6 Sandwich the food bags between layers of dry ice.
    Sandwich the food bags between layers of dry ice. Layer the bags on top of the bottom level of dry ice and then pour in another 1 pound (0.45 kg) to 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of dry ice to completely cover the bags. Make sure not to stack two bags directly on top of each other.[18]
    • You may need to rearrange the pieces of dry ice so that the bags are fully covered.
    • Make sure each bag lays as flat as possible and that there’s no overlapping.

7. Step 7 Add a final layer of dry ice on top of the food bags.
    Add a final layer of dry ice on top of the food bags. Depending on the size of the box and the number of bags you have, you may need to do a few alternating layers of dry ice and food bags. Each layer of food should have dry ice on top of and underneath it.[19]

8. Step 8 Poke a few holes into the lid and attach it to the box.
    Poke a few holes into the lid and attach it to the box. Use a box cutter or sharp knife to cut 3 to 4 holes into the top of the box. These holes allow gas and moisture to escape, which is necessary for the dry ice to dissipate and for the food to fully dry.[20]
    • Avoid poking too many holes into the lid. The idea is to allow the gas to escape at a relatively slow rate.

9. Step 9 Place the box into the freezer for at least 24 hours.
    Place the box into the freezer for at least 24 hours. The food is done freezer drying when all of the dry ice has disappeared. This could take 24 hours or more depending on how many layers of food you’re freeze drying (and how much dry ice you’ve used to cover it). Wear gloves to remove the lid of the box and look into the container.[21]
    • If you don’t see any dry ice on top, shuffle the bags around with a gloved hand to check for dry ice on the bottom. If it’s all gone, the food is ready for storage.
    • If you see any chunks of dry ice, reattach the lid, reinsert the box into the freezer, and wait for 3 to 6 hours before checking again.

10. Step 10 Store freeze-dried foods in freezer bags at room temperature.
    Store freeze-dried foods in freezer bags at room temperature. Since the foods are already in freezer bags, you can just take them out and put them in your pantry or anywhere that’s at or below room temperature.[22]
    • The freeze-dried food will stay good for up to 25 years.
    • Eat the freeze-dried chunks as is or rehydrate them by placing them in a small amount of water.
    :thinking:
Some info about freeze drying the safe way for food. May be able to incorporate it into your method.

About to make an infusion with flower and coconut oil. Thought about making some with your method. Would be nice to not have to smoke. I rarely take the time and need the medicine.

Going to be using it topically. But if I consume the infused coconut oil, do you recommend adding lechethin?

BrassNwood

Veteran
Some info about freeze drying the safe way for food. May be able to incorporate it into your method.

About to make an infusion with flower and coconut oil. Thought about making some with your method. Would be nice to not have to smoke. I rarely take the time and need the medicine.

Going to be using it topically. But if I consume the infused coconut oil, do you recommend adding lechethin?
Yes, add the Lecithin. You get double the horsepower and other benefits.

PXL_20240313_192510935_exported_169_1710441049939.jpg

Down Barham past the bowl and..

PXL_20240313_195540248_exported_66_1710440601238.jpg

Lunch MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PXL_20240313_195546750_exported_1550_1710440940983.jpg
PXL_20240313_195842492~2.jpg

Signature sammich The Canter Fairfax.

PXL_20240313_203304366.jpg

WeHo (west Hollywood)
PXL_20240313_214959864.jpg

The former Max Factor building on the right now the museum.

PXL_20240313_215021176.jpg

There be Gargoyles on that building!!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the advice. Is there organic soy lechethin available?

Cool views from Hollywood. We have a place called Shapiro's with awesome food just like that. They are very well appriciated around here. Making me drool now.

Will have to get some lechethin, I figured it wouldn't hurt to put it in there so potency is boosted on edibles. Could also possibly help with topical, I am wondering. Its going to be a very small amount anyway.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Thanks for the advice. Is there organic soy lechethin available?

Cool views from Hollywood. We have a place called Shapiro's with awesome food just like that. They are very well appriciated around here. Making me drool now.

Will have to get some lechethin, I figured it wouldn't hurt to put it in there so potency is boosted on edibles. Could also possibly help with topical, I am wondering. Its going to be a very small amount anyway.

The brand I've used for years claims to be GMO free and the amount is so tiny per dose I've never felt a need to be all that concerned about it. It takes me a few years to use up a pint bottle of it.

------------------------------------
PXL_20240315_022306220.jpg

I've got a few more plants to harvest before I can take cuts from this set then get them in the ground. At least that is my current thinking. Get back on the usual cycle for this bunch as trying to hold them in veg until August doesn't seem like it'll work. 18 weeks in veg will have plants rather large.

Running this bunch as they are for a June 1st harvest, taking cuts and I'll have this size plants again at that time to set out for summer. 3 weeks for rooted clones and that leaves 7 weeks to veg before set out.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet, yeah big plants can have more issues. Small plants are easier to get a good outcome, they don't fall over as easy too.

Yeah, sounds good, I have that Fern brand soy lechithin available at the local grocery. Was thinking I may want to take the extra step to make kief/ bubblehash first, then put into the coconut oil.

A friend on the "Experience with Psoriasis" thread was saying its easier to have a consistant dose when using hash rather than steeping flower in coconut oil and straining the plant material.

Also concentrates it better because steeping flower in coconut oil you can only do at about a 1:1 ratio. So the hash allows you to easily make it more concentrated. Takes a bit more time but would be worth the extra step. Thats how a lot of people do it.

Not wanting to make a solvent based RSO, would rather make hash. Do you recommend making kief or would bubble hash work fine for your method?

How do you fill the empty capsules without making a mess? How do you measure it? Dropper I guess?

Also what the approximate dosage using kief/hash ratio to oil/lechithin you are using? How many mg/ml?

BrassNwood

Veteran
Sweet, yeah big plants can have more issues. Small plants are easier to get a good outcome, they don't fall over as easy too.

Yeah, sounds good, I have that Fern brand soy lechithin available at the local grocery. Was thinking I may want to take the extra step to make kief/ bubblehash first, then put into the coconut oil.

A friend on the "Experience with Psoriasis" thread was saying its easier to have a consistant dose when using hash rather than steeping flower in coconut oil and straining the plant material.

Also concentrates it better because steeping flower in coconut oil you can only do at about a 1:1 ratio. So the hash allows you to easily make it more concentrated. Takes a bit more time but would be worth the extra step. Thats how a lot of people do it.

Not wanting to make a solvent based RSO, would rather make hash. Do you recommend making kief or would bubble hash work fine for your method?

How do you fill the empty capsules without making a mess? How do you measure it? Dropper I guess?

Also what the approximate dosage using kief/hash ratio to oil/lechithin you are using? How many mg/ml?

Either base should work fine, I've used BadKat's hash capsule recipe for 12 years and find it to work very well.
Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes (115 C)
5 grams Hash
1 tablespoon Coconut oil (15ml)
1 teaspoon Fearn liquid lecithin (5ml)
Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (104 C)
Fills 30 #0 capsules.

1710615335830.png

A Mr.Coffee mug warmer, stainless steel cat food dish that fits the hot point. Bent tip glass eyedropper.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, thats a straight forward simple extract and will be versatile. I wonder how much it could be diluted to coconut oil. I would like to apply some of it topically.

The CBD salve I have is 125 mg per 0.5 oz salve. Wondering how many mg THC/oz BadKittySmiles oil?

Would vary depending on original flower used.

I can make some bubble hash pretty easily. Would it be better to screen kief for quality. Some people have been talking about how they like kief better than bubble hash in quality. I dry on cardboard quickly. I have the bubblehash setup, so will proably make a run with that.

Latest posts

Latest posts