What's new

Ali vs. Tyson

Ali vs. Tyson

• Ali

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • Tyson

Votes: 30 34.5%

• Total voters
if they had been around at the same time, and ali had weight trained like mike, i think ali would have been able to win. mike without weight training would have no chance against ali. but ali in his prime vs mike in his as they were, i'd put the money on mike, although ali might have been able to pull it out, especially if he didn't get knocked out early. mike was lightning fast and brutal. ali was fast and lanky, but mike was faster and a harder puncher.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
You have to be able to hit something before you can smash it, and Tyson would have had a difficult time hitting a young mobile Ali. Ali would have picked-apart Tyson with his size, reach, skill, and speed advantage.

I'm old enough to remember both Ali & Tyson in their prime, and I would put my money on Ali all day long.
Kinda says somthin about our age, but I agree! lol.... Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee! and don't ferget he was pretty, soo pretty! lol I always watched his fights hoping he would get "knocked the fuck out!" The guy never stopped runnin his damn mouth. "I am the greatest of all time! and I'm pretty!" ...... I jus saw that they are gonna show the Thrilla in Manilla, april 11 on HBO-W. I didn't catch the time though. That was a hell of a fight! BC

K

kopite

It makes me laugh the way Ali is praised, whilst i realise this is controversial it is also a fact, Ali was not a nice man I'd go as far as to say he was scum, Henry cooper knocked him the Funk out and his corner cheated, the way he treated a man like Frazier was a disgrace !!! Ali would be nothing without him... and as to his treatment for his wife, he was racist but prob best I don't go into that... but hey he had good PR and could make a rhyme... must be the GOAT.....

Tyson was an unstoppable hurricane who steamrolled his opponents with devastating ease. Of course when he was doing this his opponents were hand picked to build up Tyson's reputation and market him as a machine of destruction. Tyson certainly had incredible physical attributes, speed, power, punching accuracy and a tough beard. Unfortunately when he met a live opponent, Buster Douglas, Holyfiel etc.. he fell apart mentally, got tired and lost. Even against lowly Franz Botha Tyson started to mentally break down. What good fighters did Tyson ever beat? He beat a rusty Larry Holmes, over matched glass jawed Marvis Frazier and the rest of the bum of the month club. Did Tyson ever have an epic battle ie. Ali/Frazier Barrera/MOrales?
Ali beat many great fighters, had many epic struggles in which he prevailed. Pleas ignore the last part of both respective fighters careers.

Check out this link http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=000474&cat=boxer
and examine the records of Tyson's beaten opponents.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I wonder?...how many streets are named 'Muhammad Ali' ..in this world?...several, that I know of...

'smoking' Joe Frazier is the second greatest 'heavyweight' fighter of all time...IMO.

K

kopite

'smoking' Joe Frazier is the second greatest fighter of all time...IMO

whos No 1 ? Sugar Ray Robinson ? or Joe Louis..... my personnal favs are Jake la Motta and Roberto Duran not for technical ability.....

luciano28

In their prime?

Mike all day, guy was a street fighter, one punch its over. And he is insane

Ali was a boxer, so if he could avoid that one punch than he would probably win, but I dont think he could avoid it.

JJ said:
I would have to say he would have knocked Ali out. For a three year period Tyson was an unstoppable animal.

^^ What he said

Ali was a boxer with unorthodox but effective defense especially when he was young. He also had a granite chin, more so in his later career. Tell me who did Tyson ever beat? Sure his knockouts were spectacular against a bunch of no names. Remember the great ButterBean. He too had some fantastic looking KOs.

79towncar

KOPITE I agree with you all the way Clay or "Mohammad" was overrated. He was good but he only gets praise for his antics just like Mike Tyson.. But Tyson just knocked people out so bad.. Youngest champ ever.. I pick Tyson. But yea LaMotta and Duran were great fighters so was Tunny or however you spell his name. He beat up Jack Dempsy back in the day.

jamrockjay

Rocky Marciano was a small heavyweight but always did the biz everytime he stepped between the ropes. Joe Louis still holds the record for the longest title reign (just short of 12yrs) with 25 defences, which will NEVER be beaten in my eyes, i personally believe the brown bomber was the greatest heavyweight ever and one of the hardest punchers ever. Tyson had it easy when he reigned there was none of the probs Ali, Louis, Johnson etc had to face cuz of their skin colour (generally) and certainly there wasnt the calibre of fighters around in Tysons day. Forget Ali V's Tyson,,,,,, i would rather see Tyson V's Louis

LOL LOL Butterbean with 58 knockouts would come high up any list on total knockouts it would be the only time his name is mentioned with the true legends of boxing and lets not forget Ali, Tyson, Louis, Marciano and the like are true legends of not only boxing but sport itself

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Joe Louis still holds the record for the longest title reign (just short of 12yrs) with 25 defences, which will NEVER be beaten in my eyes, i personally believe the brown bomber was the greatest heavyweight ever and one of the hardest punchers ever.

:yeahthats
J. Louis at #1, followed by S.R. Robinson. Two greatest fighters of all time.

Mr. Burgundy

THRILLA IN MANILLA-HBO

THRILLA IN MANILLA-HBO

Did anyone else catch this gem?

Did anyone hear Larry Holmes say Ali was overrated?LOL

"Yeah, Ali hit like a butterfly, Frazier hit like a bee..."

Wow, I never knew Frazier hid how blind he was in his left eye...his response was classic-
Someone asked Joe once.."How did you make it that long, with blindness in your eye?"

"The fights never lasted that long.."

Wow.

After the Ali fight, Joe stated, "I wasnt beat up, I just couldn't see..."

And they also showed the footage of Foreman vs Frazier, and how George and his grill makin self knocked Frazier down for good in the 4th?

After watching this documentary, I will keep my original thought of Ali not being able to withstand a long bout with Tyson(Buster who?). Frazier broke it down about how Ali couldnt take body punches..and let's remember Joe was beating up and slowing down Ali mostly using only his left hand. Ali was shocked when Frazier started belting him with the right around round 4. I know Ali was in his 30's and a lot had passed ...but if we go making amends for that, then for argument sakes we can use Mike during his heyday of teens-early 20's..

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
in the ring in the middle of it ... ali: "joe, they told me you was all washed up"
joe: "they lied." LOL :D

K

kopite

Did anyone else catch this gem?

Did anyone hear Larry Holmes say Ali was overrated?LOL

"Yeah, Ali hit like a butterfly, Frazier hit like a bee..."

Wow, I never knew Frazier hid how blind he was in his left eye...his response was classic-
Someone asked Joe once.."How did you make it that long, with blindness in your eye?"

"The fights never lasted that long.."

Wow.

After the Ali fight, Joe stated, "I wasnt beat up, I just couldn't see..."

And they also showed the footage of Foreman vs Frazier, and how George and his grill makin self knocked Frazier down for good in the 4th?

After watching this documentary, I will keep my original thought of Ali not being able to withstand a long bout with Tyson(Buster who?). Frazier broke it down about how Ali couldnt take body punches..and let's remember Joe was beating up and slowing down Ali mostly using only his left hand. Ali was shocked when Frazier started belting him with the right around round 4. I know Ali was in his 30's and a lot had passed ...but if we go making amends for that, then for argument sakes we can use Mike during his heyday of teens-early 20's..

I have seen the documentry... Joe looks so small and frail but has the cheekiest of grins when his phone goes off.... theres a great book called ghosts of manila... Ali was asked if he'd like to watch a re-run of the fight on video he replied " I don't wanna look at hell again"

Kopite

No question that both Tyson and Ali were both tremendously talented boxers in their prime, but were they to fight each other I would have to put my money on Ali.