What's new

Ahmar F1 : 60s Panama Red x Chefchaouen 'Sativa' Hashplant

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
panama red was never pure sativa, it was hybrid, not landrace.. it was known as tequila of herb and gave red eye chill out relax lazy high... the fact.
That would make a lot of sense in many ways (an inbred stabilized hybrid), given the mellow high and structure... but i haven't previously seen it described as anything other than pure sativa.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
well I read that people grew seeds from panama red bud imported to USA and it finished late November at 40N, so 12 weeker. that was in 70s, so something like 12 weeker. and in this I agree with @Rgd that 12 weeker is not tropical sativa.. that is too short flowering for true tropical cultivar. there are subtropical sativas like lesotho or some nepalese, which are shorter flowering, but I would bet broad leaf mixing in case of panama red. people were not so dumb and knew about hybridization and its benefit for commercial purposes, like we know it today, and this import of panama varieties or colombians was all about profits for cartels.

when you grow colombian gold, you get skinny ones but also quite broad ones with darker color and cbd in it.

I would call @mexcurandero420 member, he thinks that broad leaf cultivars were introduced into south america sooner than in 70s, and I think he has some interesting arguments for it.

and it is not true at all that in all tropical regions, it is humid and rainy in time of harvesting. in some regions it is dry and you can chop fatter buds without any problems. like they do it these days with their crippy weed in Colombia. crippy means skunk x sativa..

Last edited:

Rgd

Veteran
I grew indoors this male (left) and female 20 yrs ago.
GreenGrocer shared this Panama line with Kaiki,who gave me a few seeds

View media item 18232279

I grew the greengrocer panamas

Apparently two different panamas together

There was a pistilate and a calyx dominant pheno

Both tall and long flower though

Pistilate was the longest

Calyx was not as narrow leaf and earlier and more sedation

Pistilate was skinnier later more zingy

Both has too much sedation for me

I did enjoy growing all of them

At my age i need zing and more zing

Maha

Lots of what you said i agree with
And i am not trying to be smart ass
I only care about getting a particular
No sedative high
and would gladly smoke wld
If i found one like that

But i have a hard enough job finding sativas
With out too much sedation

including haze

I plan to pheno search

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Rgd
Pistillate and calyx phenos?
Whats the difference?
When you say "pistilate"...do you mean stigmas? (hairs)
A cannabis female flower is a "bract", two stigmas (I've seen 3 ) and the ovary within the bract...
We also have stipulas, stylo...lol

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it has nothing to do with snobbery..
it has to do with sedation..I grow both wld and nld ..
one i give away..the other I give 90% away..
I think you can guess which, and why
So Panama Red is probably not for you then, because, reading the various reports, new and old, one of its defining characteristics seems to be having a mellow/relaxed quality to the high. (as you also seemed to find when you grew it).
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking through some old threads this one is interesting:

"But of course, as with many current examples of legendary strains, not exactly the same experience as the 70's strains grown and processed in their native location. My first fling with Panama Red came in 1977. My friends and I pitched in together to buy a $50/ounce of some really dank smelling, rusty-brown, oily bud. The ounce looked small, but was actually one large bud with a few smaller buds compressed into one herbal mass with a few small white immature seeds. We had been quaffing beers on our way to watch the Mission Mountain Wood Band at a venue in Livermore, IA, aka the Liquormore ballroom. I remember how the paper of that first joint was oily black by half way. Upon sampling our purchase we were hit with a overwhelming, trippy paralysis that rivaled the best Colombian Gold, but with much more body stone. It didn't "steal our women", but really did "rob our head". We all soon learned that this was one strain that didn't mix well at all with alcohol and there was a fine line between consuming just the right amount and...well, too much. I only had one other opportunity to buy again and that bag was nowhere near the same, probably was a lowland Colombian being passed off as Panama? This was one of those epic seventies strains that really did leave an impression for those fortunate enough to come across."

Rgd

Veteran
I don't get It... :dunno:

ie.one of the panama's keeps putting out pistils and ends up a puffy hairy cola...

the other basically produces calyxes and yes there may be pistils there but they are small and not nearly as

many ..and you end up with a cola that is all calyxes..and more dense

...I see this in thai,african[malawi] ,Viet [dalat] basically a lot of the long flower sativas

thats as far as I can explain..this sure is not rare

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Clarke wrote this 25 years ago: :)
IMG_20230531_233025.jpg
IMG_20230531_233207.jpg

Rgd

Veteran
Cannabis nomenclature is still catching up with the rest of the botanical world but we’re getting there lol. The calyx is encased in the bract, and if the stigmas (hairs) are pollinated it is what develops into a seed. And then we have the indica and sativa enigma to sort out 😅
Well said

I also use words like “resin blobs”
like a true scientist

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes they're pretty for sure! - red buds aside, i kind of see the leaf curling with extra resinous margins on red5 as a hashplant thing.. but that's only from my limited experience, that plant is also the tallest of the two with less sidebranching.
Plant 4 likes to grow all its branches to the same height once topped, but is also possibly more resinous overall.

here's hoping for some more girls from the second 5 they have been repotted and will get flipped in the next few days
VG :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts