What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ahmar F1 : 60s Panama Red x Chefchaouen 'Sativa' Hashplant

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats all great to hear! i suspected these would get pretty big pretty quickly given the chance... yes i hope you like the smoke because you'll get a good pull off those plants if all goes well lol.
The seed mother Red5 also took a couple weeks to root whilst all the others were quicker, nearer a week, so that fits, the smell you describe sounds similar too - and red5 has that bubba-like thing when you break the buds up and it smells quite different to sniffing them whole...
i've smoked quite a bit of it recenltly, and it is a nice balance i find, in that 'goldilocks zone' between relaxing and functional/invigorating, so for me it's a good all-rounder, but these things can be different for different people so we will see.
The 'early' outdoor qualities make a lot of sense given the genetics but not something i'd really considered being a mostly indoor grower...
i'm really enjoying this whole process, i feel i've been very blessed to come by these genetics.
VG :tiphat:

island_organics

Thats all great to hear! i suspected these would get pretty big pretty quickly given the chance... yes i hope you like the smoke because you'll get a good pull off those plants if all goes well lol.
The seed mother Red5 also took a couple weeks to root whilst all the others were quicker, nearer a week, so that fits, the smell you describe sounds similar too - and red5 has that bubba-like thing when you break the buds up and it smells quite different to sniffing them whole...
i've smoked quite a bit of it recenltly, and it is a nice balance i find, in that 'goldilocks zone' between relaxing and functional/invigorating, so for me it's a good all-rounder, but these things can be different for different people so we will see.
The 'early' outdoor qualities make a lot of sense given the genetics but not something i'd really considered being a mostly indoor grower...
i'm really enjoying this whole process, i feel i've been very blessed to come by these genetics.
I can see these yielding fairly heavy as everything top to bottom is very dense. Resin production is high and the aromas are really developing nicely as they get closer to maturity. The tropical fruit and gas smell has become more rich fruity, perfumed hash and fuel.

Ahmar 1 (Panama red phenotype) still has barely any aroma despite being covered in resin so it’ll be interesting to see how she finishes and smokes. Numbers 2 & 3 both smell very similar with 2 being sweeter. 2 is the fastest plant and has a very high bract to leaf ratio while number 3 is a bit leafier and later maturing. Overall the plants have been very easy to grow and no signs of mold or mildew.
FE163696-E473-4718-8F51-72E27C5AB6FB.jpeg
F6C81C50-403B-4CD9-A35E-C72E3C298333.jpeg
B1261071-EF60-4435-B99D-A4197A584A66.jpeg
28B610F6-BB47-4361-AE74-EE71FA1D3D36.jpeg
638968CE-319A-4277-9172-F473C9CCCA12.jpeg
AADC60C2-DD23-4A57-8CF2-4480FCC0DC8F.jpeg
072825CC-8DCE-4334-8DD1-8AF3D3D27165.jpeg
7AD25771-A52C-4701-8E01-C4E6878472DE.jpeg
3F17B91B-90FC-490D-8743-472B9D6A1F4E.jpeg
A0D6E6B4-5B4F-4BE2-8EB3-3D5BCCF3C41C.jpeg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the rundown @island_organics - Number 2 is looking killer and i can see it is ripening already, both 2 and 3 sound more comparable to the F1s - whose terps change quite a bit during flowering too. Plant 1 has possibly had a bit more of a 'jiggle' in the traits going to F2 and it will be interesting to see how it finishes and when.
Do you remember which one you said smelt a bit like bubba? (back when they were still vegging or in early flower)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, quick update for the 3 F1s i'm running for the second time, just coming up to 4 weeks...
ahm7@4.jpg
ahm7@4nug.jpg

Plant 8
ahm8@4.jpg
ahm8@4nug.jpg

and plant 9
ahm9@4.jpg
ahm9@4nug.jpg

smoking on the first run of these, i would say they are all more similar to red5, with varying degrees of sweetness and musk - although there are differences too. I would say that purp4 is the most 'outlier' pheno amongst the 5 F1 girls i got.
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and back with some more pics of F1s 7,8 and 9 at 5 and a half weeks.
These have been under a @Mars Hydro Led fce-300 turned up to about 80%. I have added a bit of extra height to my cab (from 4ft to about 5ft) and this is allowing me to throw more light than usual at them which they seem to be enjoying, with a gap between light and plants of about a foot.
they are all starting to show some red colouring to some extent....

Plant 7
Ahm7@5.5.jpg
Ahm7@5.5nug.jpg

plant 8
ahm8@5.5.jpg
AHm8@5.5nug.jpg
AHm8@5.5nugg.jpg

plant 9
Ahm9@5.5new.jpg
ahm9@5.5nugnew.jpg
Ahm9@5.5nuggnew.jpg

VG

island_organics

Ahmar 2 and 3 were harvested last Tuesday and are smelling beautiful in the drying room. Very impressive plants all round, and the early finish is a nice bonus. Number two was starting to show some red and purple tones just before harvest despite our temperatures being very warm so i can imagine there’d be lots of colour in a cooler climate.
93EC2408-5AFA-4E01-B554-937BEDE78004.jpeg
A224592D-E168-4812-90BA-624BF49B7F84.jpeg
F9E998C1-7E42-4995-B64F-44459FD0E6C6.jpeg
BABD9B0A-9D45-4A5F-A439-30CA506DFCB6.jpeg
57776A90-F215-4A99-B156-638206A7A2B0.jpeg
C4590809-B830-45C3-8072-E67F4B37E545.jpeg
8139FE9B-2710-4CA7-8377-49DB183BA1EB.jpeg
64957833-CC44-4336-AD64-C1C9E63305A8.jpeg
9786F1D0-B75A-4924-9001-A76F65F9D599.jpeg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for checking in @Raco :wave:

Wow @island_organics that is impressive to get plants 2&3 taken down in September! - looking lovely. I must try some in my greenhouse next year if they that fast. Always good to get some safely harvested as the season runs down.. i imagine growing outdoors is much less marginal at your spot though.
So they finished before the DC ?
Plant 1 is certainly a looker and sound like she is pretty tough as well.

island_organics

Thanks for checking in @Raco :wave:

Wow @island_organics that is impressive to get plants 2&3 taken down in September! - looking lovely. I must try some in my greenhouse next year if they that fast. Always good to get some safely harvested as the season runs down.. i imagine growing outdoors is much less marginal at your spot though.
So they finished before the DC ?
Plant 1 is certainly a looker and sound like she is pretty tough as well.
Yeh they’re very impressive all round. The deep chunks still have a week to go so yeh i’d say the Ahmar’s are very fast finishers. My climate is very cannabis friendly so i can take plants into December if necessary.
I’m sampling number two tonight so I’ll post a quick report tomorrow.

island_organics

968C395D-1498-4294-A4F0-5F41691FC37A.jpeg

Ahmar # 2. This is the one that had the bubba aroma during flowering along with a high bract to leaf ratio and very dense buds. @VerdantGreen I’m getting very similar aroma’s to what you described… very similar to bubba but with more sweet fruits. Potency is right up there too with strong calming and sedative effects without couchlock, although smoking a second joint will definitely put you down. Flavour is great, it’s got that mouth coating richness and a lovely church incense with sweetness on the exhale that lingers. I love herb like this… smooth, flavorful, lingering smoke and a really nice effect that makes smoking a joint very pleasurable. Thanks again VG for the chance to experience this one 🙏🏼

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey @island_organics, glad you like it, and i'm relieved you agree with me on the bubba similarities (i was worried my Bubba love might make me less objective lol)
and no problem for the seeds, you have put on a great grow show and the fact you were outdoors and they were so fast has shed a whole different light on this heirloom variety... it may be a good outcross for bringing 'earlyness' to plants that otherwise would ripen very late. It sounds like you have almost perfect outdoor growing conditions in the Balearics that most people don't get. Certainly in UK outdoor growing is a bit of a crapshoot towards the end of the season and the difference between Sept/early October and November can be the difference between getting a decent harvest and losing it all !
I presume the Panama red pheno is down as well by now? - Encouraging that it was nearly as early as the other two.. we need to see more plants but it looks like the earliness may be breeding true into most of the phenos. Hope you like the smoke on the others too.
also, nice trim-up !

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The three F1s on their second run are at just over 7 weeks and they look done or very nearly. (bubba always looks ready after 6-7 but i give it at least 8weeks and i'll do the same for these.. talking of bubba similarities notice also the stripy fade on the leaves!)
These have really done well and the colouring came from the inside out .

Plant 7
Ahmar7@7.jpg
Ahmar7@7cola.jpg
ahmar7@7nug.jpg
Ahmar7@7nuggg.jpg
Ahmar7@7top.jpg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HI all, F1 plants 7,8 and 9 harvested today at just over 8 weeks. Smelling similar bit with subtle differences. Earthy,mocha,musk,and sweet ripe fruit to varying degrees. They have done really well run sensi and have had their chance to shine on this second run.
Plant 7 first picture without flash. The resin really reflects back the light !
7@8noflsh.jpg
7wːflash@8.jpg
7macro@8.jpg

plant 8
8@8hvst.jpg

and plant 9 which is vying with 7 for the most frosty !
9@8hvsr.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wonderful colour.

Reminds me of the first time I had Da Perps.
Thanks, yes, i'm really pleased with this cross/variety ! i'm sooo lucky to have been gifted the seeds.
Not exactly what i was expecting given the description of the parents.. i think the suspicions that the 'sativa' hashplant was more of a large indica/wl type were probably on point, but the red and purple colours and the way the colours develop from the inside of the buds outwards (not just reaction to cold at cellular level which goes from the outside in) must confirm the Panama Red side of the ancestry... especially as plenty of reports from back in the day of Panama Red with wide leaves. I guess during that time late 60's, anyone selling weed in or from Panama would have described it as Panama Red !
It would have been an interesting journey anyway but the great thing is that i really enjoy smoking this weed and find it very versaltile and moreish. Ive been lucky to grow quite a few rare lines and love doing so.. but some of them i get bored of after a few smokes.
This one is one i reach for quite often, with its balanced high...it's quite versatile..no comedown.... in fact i might go and have a toke on it now lol...

island_organics

Hey @island_organics, glad you like it, and i'm relieved you agree with me on the bubba similarities (i was worried my Bubba love might make me less objective lol)
and no problem for the seeds, you have put on a great grow show and the fact you were outdoors and they were so fast has shed a whole different light on this heirloom variety... it may be a good outcross for bringing 'earlyness' to plants that otherwise would ripen very late. It sounds like you have almost perfect outdoor growing conditions in the Balearics that most people don't get. Certainly in UK outdoor growing is a bit of a crapshoot towards the end of the season and the difference between Sept/early October and November can be the difference between getting a decent harvest and losing it all !
I presume the Panama red pheno is down as well by now? - Encouraging that it was nearly as early as the other two.. we need to see more plants but it looks like the earliness may be breeding true into most of the phenos. Hope you like the smoke on the others too.
also, nice trim-up !
The early finishing trait would be very useful in a breeding project along with all the other desirable traits the plants have. My climate is great for longer finishing varieties but there’s a few other reasons for growing plants that finish in September.

I’ve been smoking on number 2 & 3 and they’re both really nice and i can’t pick a favourite to be honest as they’re both excellent. Number 3 has a musky, fruity aroma along with a nice malted barley/ yeasty smell that carries over in the smoke. You mentioned one of yours had the ‘fisherman’s friend’ flavour and I’m getting that too although it reminded me of the sweet ‘tunes’ so very similar. Potency and effect is very similar to number 2 but a little bit stronger.

Ahmar number 3.
BE4DAD7F-77A7-4490-B224-3CFF8FAB78F4.jpeg
DB0FBB08-1B9C-47EC-A193-FB765669E075.jpeg
230CB27B-4D11-4005-983A-890B610E2CF2.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts