What's new

Aeroponic PC case scrog

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Well I do hydro outside also with my legal veggies. One summer I tried a fogger and what I went with was one of the biggest foggers I could find. I believe it had like 4 ultrasonic foggers in it. My problem was I used a pretty deep/tall rubbermaid for the sump and the fog just wouldn't make it all the way to the top (root zone) It still worked ok but my huge fogger drastically heated up the sump. I had to switch it out for aero so I didn't get alot of time to mess with it. I sure would like to piddle with it again though and I have seen amazing results with them. I got pics but it's on a different comp.

Cool, thanks for the reply, The fog wants to loom just above the water without some kind of influence, create a small amount of positive pressure in the sump and the fog will be forced to exit via the net pots.

Why did you switch to 4100k? What other bulbs do you have in there? I'm sure you mentioned earlier if, but are you still veging or are you flowering? One last question, where did you get that acrylic glue, I found nothing similar at the HD/Lowes. BTW Awesome grow.
I switched because I am learning that a little stretch is not a problem when you have a screen to control it. I have been playing around with light spectrum influence on MJ for a long time and if you really want to keep them short, a 10,000k reef bulb will amaze you. I dropped the spectrum to 4100 so I could allow a little more stretch and fill that far edges of the screen.

StealthDragon, Pleasure to have you aboard!!

hey Aerohead iv got a few questions about your radiator setup. i found a radiator here and a pump here. would this work for cooling? i noticed in the pump specs that it said "No maintenance when used with de-mineralized water, and anti-fungal additives" IYO would i have any problems with running nutes through it? and i was wondering where you found your radiator? iv searched high and low and can not find an aluminum radiator just 1" thick. i was brainstorming and thought of altering Scrubninjas light trap to accomodate a radiator so that i could cool it with intake air. and i realy need a radiator around 1" thick to keep the same dimensions of the light trap. im already cutting 3"s out of 18" for the intake and im trying to keep from takeing up anymore room. thanx for ahead of time for any advice or opinions.
Hey disfunktional, I think I can help out here. The radiator in the link is awesome, far superior to mine and I just might buy one. The pump you linked couldn't be a worse choice because it wouldn't even work and it's five times what the proper pump costs. That pump is for a closed loop cooling system because when you cool computers there is no sump. You need a submersable pump like the kind you use in fish tanks. These pumps can be had for under $20 and can handle any nutes you throw at them. Another important note cooling a sump with a radiator is that GPH rating on the pump has a huge influence on how well that radiator cools. It's best to have a slow flow through the radiator to increase the contact time with the cooling fins and the less wattage the pump the better because it's a heater too. I use a 5w pump that flows 80GPH and it seems to be the sweet spot. That radiator you linked would likely take a 10w pump to reach ideal flow. Mounting the radiator in front of the intake fans might seem like a good idea but you would also be sending the sump heat straight into the canopy, I would keep it seperate.

Not sure as to why, but my guess is that it might have had something to with the comments and grow results concerning 4100k PL-L bulbs as noted here - especially when contrasted to the vastly cheaper cost of 4100k vs. 5500k or 6700k Pl-L bulbs.

And if it didn't ? Well - those are still good reasons :laughing:
Yes those are good reasons! The higher kelvin the bulb the less lumens but the lumen loss is minimal and not enough to overpower the gains from the spectral advantage. I have a few spares in 6700k and 10000k, I chose the 4100 to gain a little stretch to fill the far corners of the screen.

Here is the screen today, They are ready to be tucked under again. I am finding that if I let them grow a little higher above the screen before I route them, it's easier to decide which direction to work them through the screen to keep an even fill.

picture.php

thanx for the info man. il check into the pumps that you mentioned and figure out another location for the radiator. another quick question. if i were to mount the 3 120mm fans, meant for t his radiator, would it not be enough air to keep the exiting air temps down? or would the whole set up just be overkill?

Huggie bear

thanx for the info man. il check into the pumps that you mentioned and figure out another location for the radiator. another quick question. if i were to mount the 3 120mm fans, meant for t his radiator, would it not be enough air to keep the exiting air temps down? or would the whole set up just be overkill?

I will chime in her a bit myself as a former Saltwater fish enthusiast Pumps are something I know a bit about.

When picking a pump remember that a cheap crap pump generally is very inefficient and as such actually adds heat to the water sump that could have been almost completely avoided.
One of the mini-jets are very small for fitting in tight places and put off very little heat at all. they are also flow adjustable so combined with the radiator and the pump adjustment you can dial in the perfect flow for cooling.
http://www.marineandreef.com/Small_Aquarium_Power_Head_Powerhead_s/384.htm
is just an example of the pumps I have used and all the mini-jets are something I would give a seal of approval on specially the Mini-jet 404 as it goes from 18 gals up.

I will chime in her a bit myself as a former Saltwater fish enthusiast Pumps are something I know a bit about.

When picking a pump remember that a cheap crap pump generally is very inefficient and as such actually adds heat to the water sump that could have been almost completely avoided.
One of the mini-jets are very small for fitting in tight places and put off very little heat at all. they are also flow adjustable so combined with the radiator and the pump adjustment you can dial in the perfect flow for cooling.
http://www.marineandreef.com/Small_Aquarium_Power_Head_Powerhead_s/384.htm
is just an example of the pumps I have used and all the mini-jets are something I would give a seal of approval on specially the Mini-jet 404 as it goes from 18 gals up.

wow thank you sir. those are definitely a fraction of the price from what i was looking at. can these types of pumps be used for aeroponics?

Huggie bear

wow thank you sir. those are definitely a fraction of the price from what i was looking at. can these types of pumps be used for aeroponics?

Any application that requires the pushing of water from point A to point B

I am half tempted to try one of the maxi-jet pumps doe a DWC as they have a Venturi adapter the nutes could be mixed and bubbled all at once.

I am half tempted to try one of the maxi-jet pumps doe a DWC as they have a Venturi adapter the nutes could be mixed and bubbled all at once.

sweet im starting with DWC i may give it a try also. im trying to look ahead, once i get the DWC down im goig to give aero a shot.

W

WTA

I give you a standing ovation, Sir. I read through this entire thread last night, and I think some of the knowledge I gained may have leaked out onto my pillow as I slept, there was just to much to absorb. Consider me inspired. You have the acrylic skills of a seasoned DIY reefer

Would you happen to have, or be willing to do a diagram of your new fog system? I am very interested in building one for myself.

Thanks

L

Lacy Leplant

i have a couple foggers i had for some frogs, never actually used them and there still in there boxes! i was pondering using them in some type of grow! I just wanted to ask you if the nutrient deposits effect the diaphragm of the fogger? do you have to clean them periodically?

Besides all that, i'm very impressed with your work, very thoughtful, very precise! your a thinker! it will take you far! Check out my thread, ill be keeping up on yours! Lace

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran

I use maxi-jet pumps and they work very well, injecting air via venturi made my sprayers atomize the water droplets better in aero. They are no replacement for bubble wands in DWC because the bubbles are too localized, the wands let you spread the bubbles evenly around the sump.

I am going with a fogger set up but nothing like this one I do not have the acrylic skills yet so I am going the vinyl post method with gravity based top feed nute/fog res. You can find the videos on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvJ2fGXusU
only much smaller of course.

I have seen that on youtube before and it looks like an excellent system certainly worth a try, let me know if you need any input to pull it off. I have wanted to try that one myself..

Would you happen to have, or be willing to do a diagram of your new fog system? I am very interested in building one for myself.

Thanks WTA, welcome to the greatest collective of knowledge for growing cannabis ICMAG!!

If you look closely at my posted pictures, you could easily duplicate my setup. The size is custom for the space, the main theory is to seperate the fogger from the roots via a cage in the sump and to create a small amount of positive pressure to lift the fog off the water.

i have a couple foggers i had for some frogs, never actually used them and there still in there boxes! i was pondering using them in some type of grow! I just wanted to ask you if the nutrient deposits effect the diaphragm of the fogger? do you have to clean them periodically?

Besides all that, i'm very impressed with your work, very thoughtful, very precise! your a thinker! it will take you far! Check out my thread, ill be keeping up on yours! Lace

Thanks for stopping by Lace, Your foggers are likely reptile foggers and are the same as the fogger I am using with exception of the teflon coated disk. Your disk is likely gold in color and will build up nutes rapidly and burn out. The nutes do build up quickly and need to be cleaned with a soft plastic brush weekly even with the teflon units. The difference with the teflon is that they clean much easier and don't erode as quickly. The teflon replacement disks are cheap and easy to replace, go for it!!

Time for a much needed update on my grow. I am already beginning to think of flipping 12/12 within a week, I am very pleased with the growth of these HB clones.. check it out:

picture.php

picture.php

C

cork144

:woohoo:

looks brilliant mate, shame theres no more root pictures from now on then.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
It's getting hard to get pics of the roots with the exception of res changes. Good news, I'm due for a res change this weekend and there will be root pics, they are enourmous, can't waith to show them...

Huggie bear

It's getting hard to get pics of the roots with the exception of res changes. Good news, I'm due for a res change this weekend and there will be root pics, they are enourmous, can't waith to show them...

I very much look forward to those new root pics!

:frown: aw man i was hoping that you would do a more in depth thread on your sump. gues il be studying whatcha got here then. grows looking great man.

C

cork144

yea thats good news mate, im realy surprised you aint got 6rep bars by now..

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
yea thats good news mate, im realy surprised you aint got 6rep bars by now..

Me too, I'm a little bummed, not getting much rep at all, I am still far from 3 bars mate!!

Anyway, the grow moves on, I am stoked that I will be flowering very soon, I was thinking veg would take longer with only two ladies...

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Cork144... LOL how did you rep me again bro? takes me forever to rep someone more than once... Thanks!!!