What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advantages of a SEALED room...

moses wellfleet

Veteran
How long do you typically run your co2 during lights on? From my calculations my room requires 1k pppms but how long do you need to run it and how often? Thanks

The Monitor/controller takes care of everything while lights are on, the one i got has a fibre optic sensor that stops co2 enrichment as soon as the lights go out. I set it at 1000ppm. When the lights switch on the levels are usually around 2500ppm, after the plants have manufactured their own co2 during 12 hours darkness!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95259
Heres the thread...
Forgot to mention, the info above is why splits with the inverters at the shit!
The inverter will start out at full power til the room is at the desired temp and then reduce power to maintain at that level without cycling on and off.
Providing that its properly sized to the heat load

Inverter is the way, they are so quiet when they start up. Unlike that sudden loud thump, that you sure musta woke the neighborhood!

10ftGanja

Whats the RH% in this room?
The reason I ask is because it seems like your AC might be oversized for 2K air cooled, even with the LEDs, since they don't produce much heat at all.
You want the ac to run non stop to remove the moisture, otherwise you will be running a dehey anyway.
Theres an AC calculator in the growroom design sub-forum, but I don't think it has any calculations for LED heat...
Anyhow, when the ac turns on and off the RH will spike, you don't want that. Its completely inefficient to have the ac and dehuey cycling on and off. It takes mor epower to start the compressor than to keep it running and when its just starting it isn't very efficient and will allow the rh or heat to continue climbing.
Plus if your ac is oversized and you need a dehuey running with lights on the deheuy just has to work harder to deal with the heat from the dehuey

I cant edit posts... I meant to say the AC just has to work harder to compensate for the dehuey heat

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I cant edit posts... I meant to say the AC just has to work harder to compensate for the dehuey heat

The dehuey won't actually heat the room. Yes heat comes out the back, but this is offset by the cold air coming out the front of the unit. Just make sure that it is not located near the aircon, or it will play havoc with it.

10ftGanja

I meant that it would just make the ac run harder... so when someone oversizes the ac by too much its much more costly in the long run.
Its best to leave enough headroom for the hottest day you can expect, but not to oversize it by too much.
10K btu is good for 2 non air cooled 1Ks, but a 5K would be sufficient for 2 air cooled, but having a 6K unit would probably best under those circumstances.
With 2K of LEDs I would expect that to be less than another 5K btu needed.
So its probably borderline, but I have no info on LEDs

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I meant that it would just make the ac run harder... so when someone oversizes the ac by too much its much more costly in the long run.
Its best to leave enough headroom for the hottest day you can expect, but not to oversize it by too much.
10K btu is good for 2 non air cooled 1Ks, but a 5K would be sufficient for 2 air cooled, but having a 6K unit would probably best under those circumstances.
With 2K of LEDs I would expect that to be less than another 5K btu needed.
So its probably borderline, but I have no info on LEDs

I understand your point, thank you for your contribution. If the circuit allows he should put in another light. If you got a/c credits, may as well use em!... And I mean real light, not LED!

By the way my rh is usually at 49%. I've been using mostly my ac to regulate temps and rh. I purchased a Co2 monitor only at this time and might be adding a controller in the winter for temps, rh, etc. Right now my room temps are about 77-84 with ac running most of the 24 hr period to keep them in check. I think my room is a little difficult to cool because it is an add on on side of the house, which contains part concrete for the floor and stucco for 1 wall. I haven't been using a fan to cool the hoods though I imagine the temps will drop a quite a bit as the 1kws put out a good ammount of heat. I do plan on adding 1 more 1kw light. Also it has been 90-100 plus for the last several weeks where I live.

I was looking in to leds to save heat etc and my friend said dont do it. They moved the LEDs to the veg and mom rooms and i believe hes running gavitas or papillons now. He said they didnt produce the same yields and hes a 2nd or 3rd gen grower who knows his stuff.

SourSmoke

Anyone have any experience running a well sealed room with propane burners but without any periodic intake or exhaust? Run into any problems? I am seeing a few rumblings of propane not combusting properly due to lack of O2 and creating problems. Soooo thoughts on this? Experiences? Periodic cleansing of the air throughout lights on and during lights off a must? Thanks! This thread got me thinking: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=290154

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I was looking in to leds to save heat etc and my friend said dont do it. They moved the LEDs to the veg and mom rooms and i believe hes running gavitas or papillons now. He said they didnt produce the same yields and hes a 2nd or 3rd gen grower who knows his stuff.

Sealing up means you have much greater control over your environment. You now have the luxury of co2 levels maitained at the optimum 1000ppm.

But it doesn't end there, co2 enriched plants require more nutrients, water, light, and a higher temperature to achieve optimum performance! Think of a body builder who is training for a competition, they will need correct nutrition and water intake to make the effects of the training visible!

LED lighting cannot provide the level of light intensity required for the increased growth. You may get 'good' results with LEDs, but by no means optimum IMHO!

zeet

Veteran
Anyone have any experience running a well sealed room with propane burners but without any periodic intake or exhaust? Run into any problems? I am seeing a few rumblings of propane not combusting properly due to lack of O2 and creating problems. Soooo thoughts on this? Experiences? Periodic cleansing of the air throughout lights on and during lights off a must? Thanks! This thread got me thinking: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=290154
I've been running a 6k sealed for about 4 1/2 years with a propane co2 burner with no prblems. I think that the trick is to have a large enough room that the co2 burner isn't using up all of the o2 and therefore not combusting enough.

I have air cooled hoods with the air coming from outside, running through the hoods, then exiting back out. Trick is to have hoods that are quality and will not let air in or out due to bad seals.

My temps/humidity/everything is always on point. I had to go this route because living in No. Mich there is a large variation between summer and winter. Hot humid and buggy in the summer and damn cold in the winters. so this was the best solution that I had and it works impeccably! :)

I forgot to add that I'm running a 3 ton mini split with a heat pump which is the backbone of my sealed room design.

Last edited:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Co2 burners produce heat and moisture as by products of co2, these factors may suit your grow space depending on the influence of external temperatures?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
An interesting project would be to build 2 bloom rooms of exact same size and set the timers alternately so one room is on while the other is dark.

You could rig ducting so that the dark room is always supplying the other room with CO2. I am not sure what levels you would be able to maintain using this system, probably not as high as 1000ppm. But you would definitely save on CO2 usage in the long run!

theother

An interesting project would be to build 2 bloom rooms of exact same size and set the timers alternately so one room is on while the other is dark.

You could rig ducting so that the dark room is always supplying the other room with CO2. I am not sure what levels you would be able to maintain using this system, probably not as high as 1000ppm. But you would definitely save on CO2 usage in the long run!

There was a guy a few pages back in this thread talking about that. SAid it worked for him. No personal experience.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yeah you right, DHF was calling them fliprooms!

I am interested to know what level of CO2 can be reached using this method?

In other words 10 plants in dark phase will be able to provide what level of CO2 for 10 plants of exactly the same size in the light phase?

Latest posts

Latest posts