What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advantages of a SEALED room...

theother

Yeah you right, DHF was calling them fliprooms!

I am interested to know what level of CO2 can be reached using this method?

In other words 10 plants in dark phase will be able to provide what level of CO2 for 10 plants of exactly the same size in the light phase?

If your gonna run flip anyway, I say go for it, but I wouldn't set up flip flopped specifically for that.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Agreed, CO2 in a single sealed room that accumulates during 12 hours darkness is not wasted in any case. It all gets used up when the lights come on!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
An interesting project would be to build 2 bloom rooms of exact same size and set the timers alternately so one room is on while the other is dark.

You could rig ducting so that the dark room is always supplying the other room with CO2. I am not sure what levels you would be able to maintain using this system, probably not as high as 1000ppm. But you would definitely save on CO2 usage in the long run!

howdy, i have seen this set up working and exchanging the air between rooms will make it more difficult to control rh. i want a lights on rh of 55-60% for growth and a lights off of 45% for mold control.

separating the rooms would allow you to rapidly drop rh at lights out instead of taking hours to accomplish it. i'm building two adjacent rooms now and while i will flip the lights i won't flip the gases.

i ran a single tightly sealed room for 2 years recently and i put a timer on the co2 so it cut off 2 hours before lights out.

another way to control lights off co2 is by limiting applied co2 during lights on. by that i mean setting the set point at 750ppm and running a dead band of 50ppm.

with the sensor set up as far from the device as is practical so that the room will actually come up to about 900-1000 ppm during the burn or release.

in a tightly sealed room i think of co2 as the stuff that allows me to run sealed instead of the stuff that "blows up" plants.

theother

howdy, i have seen this set up working and exchanging the air between rooms will make it more difficult to control rh. i want a lights on rh of 55-60% for growth and a lights off of 45% for mold control.

separating the rooms would allow you to rapidly drop rh at lights out instead of taking hours to accomplish it. i'm building two adjacent rooms now and while i will flip the lights i won't flip the gases.

i ran a single tightly sealed room for 2 years recently and i put a timer on the co2 so it cut off 2 hours before lights out.

another way to control lights off co2 is by limiting applied co2 during lights on. by that i mean setting the set point at 750ppm and running a dead band of 50ppm.

with the sensor set up as far from the device as is practical so that the room will actually come up to about 900-1000 ppm during the burn or release.

in a tightly sealed room i think of co2 as the stuff that allows me to run sealed instead of the stuff that "blows up" plants.

consider a small amount of active air exchange during lights off. I have not seen it effect my enviro parameters negatively, and it has a positive effect on the plants. I run about the same RH, that you mentioned (more like 50 lights off though) and I have been venting at night for the last couple runs. I had plenty of good runs completely sealed but have absolutely noticed a difference in overall plant health exchanging air at night.

Currently bottled, but have run gens and bottles, both venting at night and not venting. It has less of an impact when running bottled, but still is worth doing IMHO.

moses wellfleet

Veteran

Can I ask you to explain the deadband function on the monitor and its application, for the benefit of readers?

Mrrite008

The deadband feature insures that your co2 ppm stays within (+/- ) your setpoint. For instance a setpoint of 750 ppm, with a 50 ppm deadband, your monitor will keep ppms within 700-800 range.

Last edited:

Hpchacrx

I have a question do any of you run bare bulb in a sealed room? If you do how are ur temps. I am lookin into building my attic into a grow room. And was wondering if I could do 3-4 600 hps. And keep my temps down

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have a question do any of you run bare bulb in a sealed room? If you do how are ur temps. I am lookin into building my attic into a grow room. And was wondering if I could do 3-4 600 hps. And keep my temps down
I have run bare bulbs in a vert set up in the past, they ran cooler than hoods, but they dry the air out more!

If heat is an issue then vert is probably the way to go, but you will most likely need to supplement humidity!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
To calculate your A/C requirements for a sealed grow in a Californian climate... 4k btu per 1000W of light... Those are the numbers I used?

Andyo

Veteran
inverter ac

inverter ac

To calculate your A/C requirements for a sealed grow in a Californian climate... 4k btu per 1000W of light... Those are the numbers I used?

Im planning new sealed grow using inverter ac over sized capacity,better options
Think itll cope humidity during lights off by running slow not on off.
And can add an extra 1 kw light bay later if i want.

Outside temps tropical average 32 c has been 45 c recent heat wave

Im tempted to run more not less ac capacity i figure inverter ac better.
Any thoughts on this.A

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
CO2 enriched environments need higher temperatures and humidity to benefit (double growth rate we always hear about) from higher CO2, think of it as "higher metabolism mode"... If you dial down a room to" normal" environmental spec, say 26 C, 50%RH, boosted CO2 does little or nothing. But, for the last 3ish weeks, you don't want higher CO2, or temps, or humidity, so need it set in "flush/harvest mode". Some people are saying that very low RH helps resin production, it certainly is a good idea for lowering the risk of mould & rot.

Andyo

Veteran
tropical climate

tropical climate

Im not looking for double growth rate/ my climate is tropical 85% to 95% RH .year round, i tried ,good crops but battling parameters constantly .
cant vent grow rooms here lots of insects and molds moisture.

Sealed/C02 is ideal,Lots condensate to top up resevoirs
There is another factor as a i run ebb/flow buckets thats a deep flood and drain ,the higher level of C02 drawn down into the hydroton in the pot,ph drops in rez/pots during flower from 6.2 to 5.8 over 24 hrs
Ive countered this now buy adding 10% mineral water ,the calcium and mag carbonates effect.A
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=27654&pictureid=610738

Billy104

im curious if the higher temps in the Sealed rooms lower the quality of the buds? In my experience it definitely does in fresh air rooms with the strain I run.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
im curious if the higher temps in the Sealed rooms lower the quality of the buds? In my experience it definitely does in fresh air rooms with the strain I run.
You can dial the temp in to whatever suits you, who says it has to be higher?

Billy104

Seems like everybody says high seventies and into the eighties when using co2. I'm used to low seventies in my fresh air room . Don't know if co2 will be affective at those temps. Gonna try a run in low seventies and then high seventies while keeping humidity ideal for those temps in order to keep vpd good. Does anyone run low seventies in sealed co2 room with increased yields?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have never experienced reduced quality after going sealed, there are some pics in my albums.

I aim for around 80%.

Latest posts

Latest posts