What's new

Advanced Nutrients, Love it or Hate it, State your claim!

DoomsDay

I will agree with donkey brains on that one. GH was bought out by Monsanto who also owns miracle gro. That is also the exact reason I am leaving the GH line once the bottles I currently have are empty.

Genes

So after hearing this over and over- I have to share something a little more then slinging mud based on fear. I admit I have not much knowledge of the workings of GH or advanced on a product level as I have not used much of either personally. Advanced as a company really disturbs me as a consumer, and as someone selling nutrients to new gardeners. I am quite fond of the support offered by GH at both levels, and their transparency/reputableness in the business side (that I am exposed to) - and the fact their Flora Nova works lovely for complete novices and is a reasonable price makes me happy.

Ive even had the opportunity to speak to a couple people with very intimate knowledge of the companies and the people who represent them, and even some who are the creators of parts of their formulas.

I can't find a shred of proof or heresay for that matter relating the ownership/control/or management of GH to monsanto as of yet. However- Scotts did merge with miracle-gro and are now their own company. Now this corporation (scotts+miracle gro)....well they are pretty in bed with Monsanto in respect to Scotts turf technologies and monsantos genetic research - and agree to share certain technologies to further their lines - whilst maintaining their own seperate and distinct branded lines.

I don't find this alarming, in fact I find it interesting. I wonder about the possibilities of these smart minds and what they will try to do to this industry of ours, with the plethora of proprietary research and stuff they have access to - they have power, we have not seen it being utilized yet for th greater good - but the profits available and medical benefits
being pushed through the channels may instigate some powerful advances.

What is alarming is the facts about the Scotts-MiracleGro corp we know, the proud new owner of General Hydroponics! I admit I haven't dug around for more info than this yet, but I am happy to stop here anyway and I leave you with this tidbit you can source in google easily.

"pleaded guilty to numerous charges of misleading consumers with unapproved labels and falsifying insecticide registrations, including using toxic chemicals in wild bird food"

That is something that genuinely and desperately worries me. You can be on the fence for GMO and monsantos ethical philosophies, but there is no grey area or interpretation of evolution and what is right. This is fragrant and purposeful harm to humans, animals, and the planet. Will you support this? Will you create your medicine with a product that has a track record for this? I don't know what to do knowing this now.

chomedome

GH user for years. Switched to advanced jungle juice micro/bloom when GH sold out to Scotts.Supposed to be a replica of GH 3 part and cheaper.Can get 6 gallons of micro and 6 gallons of bloom for around $150-180. Hard to beat that price. Getting same results and quality as the GH.

For the most part salts are salts and it comes down to genetics, environment, and skill. Don't need the additives if you concentrate on the above.

Phases

So after hearing this over and over- I have to share something a little more then slinging mud based on fear. I admit I have not much knowledge of the workings of GH or advanced on a product level as I have not used much of either personally. Advanced as a company really disturbs me as a consumer, and as someone selling nutrients to new gardeners. I am quite fond of the support offered by GH at both levels, and their transparency/reputableness in the business side (that I am exposed to) - and the fact their Flora Nova works lovely for complete novices and is a reasonable price makes me happy.

Ive even had the opportunity to speak to a couple people with very intimate knowledge of the companies and the people who represent them, and even some who are the creators of parts of their formulas.

I can't find a shred of proof or heresay for that matter relating the ownership/control/or management of GH to monsanto as of yet. However- Scotts did merge with miracle-gro and are now their own company. Now this corporation (scotts+miracle gro)....well they are pretty in bed with Monsanto in respect to Scotts turf technologies and monsantos genetic research - and agree to share certain technologies to further their lines - whilst maintaining their own seperate and distinct branded lines.

I don't find this alarming, in fact I find it interesting. I wonder about the possibilities of these smart minds and what they will try to do to this industry of ours, with the plethora of proprietary research and stuff they have access to - they have power, we have not seen it being utilized yet for th greater good - but the profits available and medical benefits
being pushed through the channels may instigate some powerful advances.

What is alarming is the facts about the Scotts-MiracleGro corp we know, the proud new owner of General Hydroponics! I admit I haven't dug around for more info than this yet, but I am happy to stop here anyway and I leave you with this tidbit you can source in google easily.

"pleaded guilty to numerous charges of misleading consumers with unapproved labels and falsifying insecticide registrations, including using toxic chemicals in wild bird food"

That is something that genuinely and desperately worries me. You can be on the fence for GMO and monsantos ethical philosophies, but there is no grey area or interpretation of evolution and what is right. This is fragrant and purposeful harm to humans, animals, and the planet. Will you support this? Will you create your medicine with a product that has a track record for this? I don't know what to do knowing this now.

I didn't know this - thanks for sharing this info - may have to look at what companies I am supporting..
It's really messed up what people will do to make more money/sell more of their products.

DoomsDay

Was told this same thing... I'm open to cracking these bottles back open and giving them a try since I've already paid for them, but I need to do a few conversions first to her it into tsp/gal as opposed to ml/100l

C

Cousin Eddie

I haven't used AN Connoisseur pH Perfect A&B yet, but I bought some and I'm concerned about "slush" in the Part B. No matter how vigorously I shake the jug (original container) it just won't dissolve. Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal? I'm considering not using it, as I'd rather lose $50 than a crop!

Snow Crash

Veteran
I haven't used AN Connoisseur pH Perfect A&B yet, but I bought some and I'm concerned about "slush" in the Part B. No matter how vigorously I shake the jug (original container) it just won't dissolve. Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal? I'm considering not using it, as I'd rather lose $50 than a crop!

If you're not satisfied with the quality just return it to the retailer. There is a money back guarantee on every bottle.

C

Cousin Eddie

If you're not satisfied with the quality just return it to the retailer. There is a money back guarantee on every bottle.

I called AN customer service, and the guy said there shouldn't be any sludge and that, yes, i should return it. Unfortunately, though, the return shipping to retailer was 30% of purchase price. I'm glad I didn't use it and that I'll never have to know how much damage could have occurred if I had used it. I can't recommend the product.

UsualSuspect

Veteran
I have been using some of AN products for years, some of the products are OK at best but some are truly top shelf and I wouldnt use anything else.

Bud Ignitor gets the job done, and yes it is expensive but worth it, I get buds beginning to form at 7-10 days from flip strain dependent instead of 14-21 days. Really good product that I will never put down.

Big Bud Enough said ...... I use at 14-28 days

The key to any combo of nutes being used is to not over feed. I can use 10 products with some feedings but my EC never gets over 1.9. You have to find what combination of nutes works for your setup not someone else's.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran

It is old or got frozen. Yes, return it.

Conny works just FINE..! Last time I used it - it was not the pH Balanced version. Used All the additives prescribed at the time ( 2007-8 ) and did a head-to-head with GH. No comparison, as you can imagine. Same clones were almost 2x as yieldy. No lack of flavour.

Personally, I do not want pH Perfect, as I will feel compelled to check it anyways. It is too important to leave it to Big Mike..!

I use H & G, with some of the AN additives. If I went back to Full-on AN, I am pretty sure I would not be giving up too much over H & G.

If I had the energy, I'd do a head-to-head, cause I have some Conny, too. But, I did one last run with organic Age Old vs H & G, and need a break from all that mixing...!!!! THe H & G was at least as good as the Age Old..! I was surprised.

There are about 4-6 'elite' brands of Nutes out there. Although expensive, and a lot of bottles, AN is one of 'em.

http://www.advancednutrients.com/news/bigmike-on-gulfstream-jet-with-models/
high-in-the-sky-advanced-nutrients.jpg

maryanne3087

statis, care to elaborate about your methods comparing GH to AN?

I have a hard time fathoming a case where 2 nutrient brands were used correctly where the macro and micro nutrient needs of the plant were addressed and such a gap in yield was observed.

When someone uses a bloom booster or Cal/Mag and gets a 20% increase in yield, it's not because those products are good but that their plants were deficient in a nutrient provided by those products. A 2 x increase in yield is almost unheard of in a productive garden.

Tynehead Tom

I'm just getting back into things and have the basic 3 bottles of Advanced Nutrients (grow, micro, bloom)
I'm real familiar with GH , used it for years but where I'm at, the nearest store to get it is hours away, so I'm stuck with the AN
I used it last year to start my outdoor stuff inside and was pretty happy with the results at 6 week veg from seed untopped before I stuck em out in organic filled boxes.
Anyone care to share a good mix for veg and bloom? I'm just starting some shiskaberry and Nuken and plan to veg em for 2 months before I start cloning for mother selection and future SOG.

I used AN for roughly 2 years. Always fighting deficiency, pH always off, salt build up, flushing, expensive "add ons" to solve a simple problem. Switched to compost tea and super soil. Super green plants didnt pH anything all year. Fat, sticky buds. Id suggest reading about the soil food web and plant signalling for anyone curious about spending money on AN. Also check out his IG if your curious where your money is going....

Tynehead Tom

I'm not interested in the politics of it. I live in a very off the beaten path part of the country and don't have access to stores that sell plant foods. It's a 2 hour drive each way for basic garden needs and over 5 hours each way to go to a real grow store.

so, we use what we have till winter is over and I can make the trip to restock my gear.
so any tips for the 3 part AN would be appreciated. I followed the bottle for vegging last year and had zero issues with plant health over the 6 weeks I fed them from seedlings.
i'll be using 5 gallon pots, 4 inches hydroton in bottom with promix treated with dolomite lime. I use rain/melted snow for water as we have seriously hard well water.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I'm not interested in the politics of it. I live in a very off the beaten path part of the country and don't have access to stores that sell plant foods. It's a 2 hour drive each way for basic garden needs and over 5 hours each way to go to a real grow store.

so, we use what we have till winter is over and I can make the trip to restock my gear.
so any tips for the 3 part AN would be appreciated. I followed the bottle for vegging last year and had zero issues with plant health over the 6 weeks I fed them from seedlings.
i'll be using 5 gallon pots, 4 inches hydroton in bottom with promix treated with dolomite lime. I use rain/melted snow for water as we have seriously hard well water.

You don't need local stores if you have the internet.

Tynehead Tom

hmmmmm, I don't mind ordering some things by mail but not grow supplies. We do not get delivery of mail like most folks here. Rural post office is over 50km from me and they don't call when packages arrive.

guess i'll just follow the bottle again for feeding. thanx guys, i'll figure it out. By the way, I am new here, but have over 2 decades under my belt. Just not familiar with the AN stuff and can't remember how I even ended up with it. it's all I have right now so it will do.

Tynehead Tom

as an update.... :) I don't need a local store.... or the internet :dance013:
a good buddy of mine just came up from the coast this weekend and I had time to put in a grocery list so he brought me some bales of sunshine 4, hydroton and some gallon jugs of GH micro and bloom :woohoo:all he forgot was the maxibloom
ahhhh and finally a decent PH pen that I just finished using to verify my well water at 6.2 . still have to check EC/PPM