What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Malawi and Cycloptics Greenbeams: caught in the Under Current!

timmur

Carrots aside, lol, I fixed my controller issue! :biggrin: The input/output cards were not seated properly into the motherboard. Glad I didn't have to send the controller back. Now to get the relays to fire. Can't believe what a pain in the ass this has been!

Slight change of plans on the Orca. I've decided to use Lumicept paint in place of the Orca. It is diffuse reflective and it reflects UV, something that Orca doesn't do. I just ordered a gallon of their paint.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Both of these fools talkin all this and that, but neither of them have any pics of cooked carrots. Pics or it didnt happen.

timmur

Pic update time. Getting there.

picture.php

picture.php

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice timmur. I thought you were a room-in-a-room though? is your refrigerant line running all the way outside to the outdoor unit? why did you not opt to cool the room outside the flower room instead and use it as a lung room? sorry if its been discussed, wasn't expecting to see the mini head in the flower room right next to the lights

looking forward to seeing it lit up

iBogart

Veteran
My hypothesis: You'll discover you really need only half those lights for nine plants (awaiting the ebay auction).

timmur

nice timmur. I thought you were a room-in-a-room though? is your refrigerant line running all the way outside to the outdoor unit? why did you not opt to cool the room outside the flower room instead and use it as a lung room? sorry if its been discussed, wasn't expecting to see the mini head in the flower room right next to the lights

looking forward to seeing it lit up

Haven't really discussed the room-in-a-room. Could've built out the whole room, but I didn't. Long story and not one I want to get into. I will say i would do things differently now. :)

timmur

My hypothesis: You'll discover you really need only half those lights for nine plants (awaiting the ebay auction).

You'll be waiting for a long time. :biggrin:

If it turns out that I can't utilize all of the light, a question I set out to answer in the first place, I'll use them in another project. You'll be happy to know that you're not alone in your hypothesis. Regardless, the question remains unanswered. What is the impact of fixed DLI and varying photoperiod? LMK what you find in the literature search. I've looked in the bro-science channels and in the journals and there is no answer to that question. Here's the response from a scientist that I've been chatting with:

I would expect at equal DLI to see more signs of stress in the short day than in the long day treatment. In Veg I would go for maximum vegetative development hence a longer less stressful day.

If all of the treatments are equal, I wonder where the added stress is coming from? Heat? Nope, air temperature is tightly controlled. Leaf temperature? Nope. Fans and adjustment of ambient air temperature to compensate. The only potential stress is photoinhibition. This is precisely the question I aim to answer.

What exactly did you have in mind when you said "need". Minimum necessary for growth? Optimum in terms of efficiency?

Another question I have is, what is the maximum attainable yield /sq ft? Will 8 lights achieve that goal? Don't misunderstand me. I know that this amount of light spread across more space would be more efficient from an energy standpoint, may offer a better ROI, and yield more overall, but I'm not interested in those perspectives right now. I have this space and I want to maximize it.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
timmy you are IQ 3000. Disecting the great mysteries of Ra Himself. I will follow your great disection and effort to master even Ra and understand to be as Him. This to me is watching a Viking storming Olympus eating Doom. m . My opinion I Express is don't be discouraged by any mere person from your path.
Thank you.

ps if you lived 500 years ago mere people would burn you at the stake for the great thnkng power in your mind. praise Pedro.

am I high or does this make TOTAL sense?

timmur

All relays working and lights are burning in! It is so bright in that room that it is dangerous in there without good sunglasses! :biggrin:

Now it's time to get the UC plumbed up and tested!

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
watch, when everythings ready to roll, Timmurs finna be like, "Here we go!!! .... What? I didnt tell you guys I decided to grow vegetables instead of weed in here? These pineapple tomatoes are about to be the size of basketballs! Yeeeee!!!"

Haha! All jokes aside, how long are you planning on burning lights in for? I'm unfamiliar with the process, usually already have plants under them before I even turn um on....

Also do you plan to put the seedlings straight under the lights? seems like a large waste of electricity at least for the first week or two, might be better to just have one on and all of um under that one until they spread out enough to need more light. In fact, you could probably put them all close together and slowly move them apart from the center, turning more lights on until they reach towards the edges of the room, then bam! throw um in flower. Just an idea...
Also how many seeds did you get? did you get some extras incase some dont germ or you break a tail? Jus some things to keep in mind. Cant wait to see what they do!

timmur

watch, when everythings ready to roll, Timmurs finna be like, "Here we go!!! .... What? I didnt tell you guys I decided to grow vegetables instead of weed in here? These pineapple tomatoes are about to be the size of basketballs! Yeeeee!!!"

Haha! All jokes aside, how long are you planning on burning lights in for? I'm unfamiliar with the process, usually already have plants under them before I even turn um on....

Also do you plan to put the seedlings straight under the lights? seems like a large waste of electricity at least for the first week or two, might be better to just have one on and all of um under that one until they spread out enough to need more light. In fact, you could probably put them all close together and slowly move them apart from the center, turning more lights on until they reach towards the edges of the room, then bam! throw um in flower. Just an idea...
Also how many seeds did you get? did you get some extras incase some dont germ or you break a tail? Jus some things to keep in mind. Cant wait to see what they do!

Step right up and get your vegetables here! :)

Yes the seedlings are going under the lights as soon as they are hardy. I won't use all of the lights. Probably 4 of them. As soon as they acclimate I'll increase light daily until they get full lighting. They won't go into the UC until there is sufficient root mass. I'll go from the rapid rooters into the mini DWC with the top feed running. As soon as they are big enough, root wise, they'll drop into the UC.

I have 15 malawi (fem) and about 6 golden tiger (fem). I may pick up another pack of golden tiger and a breeder pack or two of the panama. Too many choices!

Latest posts

Latest posts