What's new

A room full of swinging dicks...

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Impressive work WaterFarmFan

30-100k seeds of 280 som crosses, gonna be an impressive collection.
Just the thourt of sorting out all thouse seeds, is head spinning. Once done, I wouldn't know where to start.

Looking forward to see, where you go from there.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Thanks bud. This has been a lot of work at every step. I spent ~25 hours just doing the hand pollination in three stages, as I staggered the starting of the females. Sorting the seeds will be done over a few weeks, so it should not be too bad. By the time the females finish, I should have a good idea idea on which lines that I want to start exploring.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Here is the final lineup that I used to make crosses. I dropped 4 females and 3 males that I did not think were up to par.

Females

Ace - Malawi (Fem) #2 _ Medium racy pheno
Ace - Malawi x Pakistani Chitral Kush #4 _ Purple frosted spear pheno
Ace - Malawi x Panama #2 _ Massive cola 50/50 pheno
Ace - Panama #1 _ Chunky inbred pheno
Ace - Panama #5 _ Goddess pheno
Ace - Panama #7 _ Red pheno
Ace - Zamaldelica (Fem) #1 _ Tall Zamal/Thai pheno
Bodhi - Goji OG (Nepali OG x Snow Lotus) #2 _ Chunky snow lotus pheno
Bodhi - Goji OG #7 _ Berry frost elite pheno
Bodhi - Space Cake (Forum x Snow Lotus) #2 _ Forum cookie pheno
Bodhi - Space Cake #9 _ Thin, dense PB cookie
Bodhi - Space Monkey (GG4 x Wookie #15) #2 _ Huge bush glue leaner
Bodhi - Space Monkey #3 _ Medium 50/50 pheno
Bodhi - Sunshine Daydream (Bubbashine x Appalachia) #2 _ Butter biscuit pheno
BOG - SSK (Strawberry Cough x Razzberry Kush x ECSD) #1 _ Strawberry power pheno
Cannarado - Sundae Driver (Fruity Pebbles x Grape Pie) #4 _ Sweet grape jelly pheno
Dying Breed - Watermelon Zum Zum #9 _ Fat melon pheno
Exotic - Thug Life (Extreme OG X Triple OG) #6 _ Pale frost pheno
In House - Gorilla Dosha (GG4 x Dosidos) #4 _ Glue leaning pheno
In House - Gorilla Dosha #5 _ Glue dom pheno
In House - Gorilla Dosha #6 _ Dosidos dom pheno
Karma - Dominator (Kushage x Jack Herrer) #2 _ Spicy Jack pheno
Karma - Road Dawg (Stardawg x Biker Kush) #5 _ Stardawg chemy funk pheno
Thug Pug - Cactus Breath (Cactus x Mendo Breath) #3 _ Frosty stout branchy pheno
Tony Green - Gorilla Bubble Bx3 #4 _ Squat SB leaning pheno
Top Dawg - Chem D x i95 F2 #3 _ Chem D leaning pheno
WFF - Double Strawberry Diesel F2 (ft100) x Sour Lifesaver #3 _ Golf ball fruity fuel pheno

Males

Ace - Panama #6 _ Red/Goddess pheno
Ace - Panama #8 _ Chunky inbred pheno
Ace - Zamaldelica #4 _ Squat Malawi frosty pheno
Ace - Zamaldelica #6 _ Tall Zamal/Thai pheno
DVG - Citrus Farmer (Skunk Tangerine x Grandpas Breath) F2 #2 _ Citrus Breath pheno
DVG - Citrus Farmer F2 #7 _ Chunky grapefruit pheno
DVG - False Teeth (Candyland x Grandpa's Breath) #1 _ Pure Breath pheno
DVG - Foul Mouth (Dookies x Grandpas Breath) #6 _ Strechy Cookie pheno
Dying Breed - Watermelon Zum Zum #1 _ TBD
Dying Breed - Watermelon Zum Zum #4 _ TBD
Dying Breed - Watermelon Zum Zum #8 _ TBD
Karma - Road Dawg #4 _ Bushy medium strech pheno
Med Tree - Richness (ACDC x Rainmaker) #5 _ 20:1 High CBD pheno
Thug Pug - Cactus Breath #1 _ Tall beefy pheno
Thug Pug - Child's Breath ((Cherry Puff x Grape Stomper OG) x Mendo Breath) #7 _ Cherry Pie structure pheno
Thug Pug - Meat Madness (Meatloaf X (Mendo Purps x Crystal Locomotive F3)) #2 _ Huge vigorus pheno
Thug Pug - Peanut Butter Breath (Dosidos x Mendo Breath) #3 _ Pure Breath pheno
Thug Pug - Grape Breath (Grape Stomper x Mendo Breath) #1 _ Pure Breath pheno
Tony Green - Gorilla Bubble bx3 #2 _ Stretchy glue pheno
Top Dawg - Chem D x i95 F1 #1 _ TBD
Top Dawg - Chem D x i95 F1 #4 _ TBD

G

Gr33nSanta

wait, is that 27 x 21 = 567 new cultivars? you are going to need an army of helplers and many acres to sift through that stuff!!

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
wait, is that 27 x 21 = 567 new cultivars? you are going to need an army of helplers and many acres to sift through that stuff!!

Hehe This is a long-term project for me, but I just might get some testers out to share some love and see what these can do in a shorter time frame. If seedbay got it's act together, I would donate multiple lots of several dozen strains...

There are a total of 567 combos potentially at play with cross-contamination, but each female plant had a different number of tops and thus a different amount of branches to dust. Some would get 8 others 15, but the average was just over 10 crosses per female (~280). I really took my time hand dusting each flower node, and covered each quite extensively, so I think that cross-contamination will be relatively low, but might occur a bit later as new stigma form. Pollen dust was flying and some likely landed on unintended places, but I think enough landed in the right places to make the contamination statistically smaller, which I hope would be in 10 percent range but could be closer to 20. If I grow out enough of these seeds from the same mom and different males, I should be able to spot similarities and differences.

Here was my basic pollination process:

In a large still room, I arranged 9 females in a semicircle with several feet between plants. I then pulled a packet of pollen for one male from fridge and marked it on my master list. Each male got a number. I then decided which females that I wanted to hit with that male, and made a corresponding number of labels. I then selected branches and applied labels all at once. With a clean paint brush (available cheap by the dozen on Amazon), I then dusted all labeled branches for crosses that wanted to make with that one male. I would place brush in bucket to later clean with acetone before next use.

I repeated this process for each male (21 total) that I collected pollen from. Some males hit almost every female while others were quite less. For strains that had multiple males (Panama, Zamaldelica & Zum Zum), I would often combine the pheno pollen packs into one, mix thoroughly and apply as a single branch to get max genetic diversity. These multiple pheno mixes got a number as well.

After all 9 females were completely dusted and labeled, I placed in a relatively still 5x5 tent for a couple of days to isolate, and then raised humidity (humidifier) over night to denature pollen before putting in main room. I did this process 3 times over 2 1/2 weeks in groups of 9 females.

While I had a short list of desired crosses for each female, I really had to think about traits as there were limited slots. I don't know what you call it, but I certainly felt like a real breeder...

WFF

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
And just for the record, I know that this is a big ass, albeit as highly controlled as possible, pollen chuck, but this method was the only way that I could come up with to make the most seeds, with the most genetic diversity and in the shortest amount of time. The real breeding will begin when I begin to hunt the lines and make F2s, F3s and beyond to stabilize traits.

I have a dream, and it involves HPLC (cannabinoids) & GC-FID (terpenes) onsite testing of large numbers of these cultivars...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Looking back, and seeing now how crazy all of this really was, I started this whole project with the simple goal of combining a few sativas with a couple of beefy high-thc indicas to make some beans. Then I just kept buying seeds and finding new awesome plants that I wanted to cross and before I knew it, here we are...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Project is coming along nicely. I have chopped my first six ladies, which are now whole plant drying. It is going to be really interesting to see how many seeds that I get. Some plants look like they will put out 10x the seeds as others. Will report back once I start getting some seed totals.

Here are a few shots of some Bodhi Space Cake seeded lowers:

picture.php

picture.php

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
what did you hit the killer Malawi with mate ?

Hey Beanz. I only grew Malawi fems, but I just checked and made 8 crosses with her:

Malawi x False Teeth (breath dom)
Malawi x Gorilla Bubble bx3 (glue dom)
Malawi x Child's Breath (Cherry Pie structure)
Malawi x (Chem D x i95) F1 #5 & #2
Malawi x Road Dawg
Malawi x Grape Breath (pure breath)
Malawi x Watermelon Zum Zum #1, #4 & #8
Malawi x MedTree Richness (high cbd)

I wanted to take the Malawi in a completely different direction. She is very frosty but the high profile is a bit rough. Very strong but not a happy and uplifting vibe. I hit her with what I think are some of the highest thc producing males as well as a couple high terp and cbd, and the offspring should be fun to hunt through.

The Malawi x PCK should be interesting as well. It shares a similar effect profile to Malawi, and it is a borderline amphetamine. Too aggressive for me, but tons of positive breeding traits.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Thanks everyone! A labor of love indeed...

VG - How dry do you like your flowers to get before harvesting seeds? Seems drier is better for a clean separation. I checked and will give the first batch another day or two to dry. I plan to use my honey strainer (https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Beekeeping-Equipment-VIVO-BEE-V101H/dp/B00EHIWX1K/) over a stainless bowl to minimize waste. This is a great piece of kit that I use to make hash as well.

B

beanz

Hey Beanz. I only grew Malawi fems, but I just checked and made 8 crosses with her:

Malawi x False Teeth (breath dom)
Malawi x Gorilla Bubble bx3 (glue dom)
Malawi x Child's Breath (Cherry Pie structure)
Malawi x (Chem D x i95) F1 #5 & #2
Malawi x Road Dawg
Malawi x Grape Breath (pure breath)
Malawi x Watermelon Zum Zum #1, #4 & #8
Malawi x MedTree Richness (high cbd)

I wanted to take the Malawi in a completely different direction. She is very frosty but the high profile is a bit rough. Very strong but not a happy and uplifting vibe. I hit her with what I think are some of the highest thc producing males as well as a couple high terp and cbd, and the offspring should be fun to hunt through.

The Malawi x PCK should be interesting as well. It shares a similar effect profile to Malawi, and it is a borderline amphetamine. Too aggressive for me, but tons of positive breeding traits.

killer malawi is great for breeding with , I,ve seen some real nice crosses .its a little plain by itself I find .

water melon zum zum cross might be a ripper ;) .
malawi /pck has some frosty stuff in those ....real hashy types .

Green guy

For the last 18 months, I have been working through ~70 breeder packs. I would keep the best looking male (or two) for each strain, and then if I liked the females, I would keep the male, but most would eventually get the chop. These would get put in the corner of the veg space and topped repeatedly. I managed to keep them (almost) all alive.

So, I am getting ready to make a boat load of crosses with keeper females, but I need to get that pollen first. I stopped all female flowering and put the males in the main room. These 24 males, from breeders including Ace, Bodhi, BOG, Dying Breed, Karma, Thug Pug, Tony Green, Top Dawg and a few others, have been flowering for about 2 weeks now.

I thought that I would create a thread and showcase some of the real studs. Below is a group picture at lights off today. More soon...

View Image
Quite a crop you have going!!!

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Just the thought of sorting out all thouse seeds, is head spinning.

Holy crap, looks like the seed separation, sorting, labeling and packaging process is going to take the longest of any step. I am looking at least 60 hours to process all 27 ladies. At least, I am going to catch up on some TV, as I watched the entire first season of Westworld while processing the first four plants.

The positive side is that seed yield is huge (2k-4k seeds per plant) and all pollen/crosses seem to taken very well. I will be posting some of my observations on timing of pollination as it relates to creating max seeds soon.

WFF

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
killer malawi is great for breeding with , I,ve seen some real nice crosses .its a little plain by itself I find .

water melon zum zum cross might be a ripper ;) .
malawi /pck has some frosty stuff in those ....real hashy types .

I have seen a few of your outdoor malawi pics, and I think that this strain may do better out then in. My coco + lucas formula growing style lends its self much better to indicas and sativa/indica hybrids versus pure sativas.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
The project is coming along, but still lots of work over the next few weeks. I thought that I would share a bit on scale of the seeds that I am collecting. Below is In House Gorilla Dosha #4, which is a good mix of both glue and cookies. I could not begin to guess how many seeds were collected from this one plant, but I would say it is closer to 10k than 5k...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php