What's new

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

Benjigreenthumb

A question or 2...

A question or 2...

Gents... delta, av8, snook, mckush and the rest! Hats off to y'all. I think I've waded through all the big ppk threads and am in awe at the detail and knowledge you have developed and shared so freely. I'm ready to give it a go myself having had a decade away from growing. I'll be posting a full build thread and such soon : might be the most micro ppk build outside medicine crow's awesomeness, but I digress.

This hobbit is having to ship jacks from the us to middle earth as no one around here carries it. As such, shipping fees are a killer adding approx 50% on the price of the 4lb tub, and significantly more on the 25lb sacks. Obviously I don't want to have to reorder these essential supplies once I'm up and running, as that will get the attention of the black riders...

I need to know (approx) how many gallons of 600ppm solution does 1lb of jacks make to calculate if 4lbs wil do me for the forseeable, or if I'd be better off taking a bigger hit up front and having what I suspect would be a life time supply with change from the 25lb sacks... economy of scale etc.

Also, turface doesn't exist here but I can get a range of pumice sizes: any tips? I remember a magic formula for o2 porosity wicking height and such, but I can't remember where I saw it...there was an experiment in the original thread I think? Anyone have a post#?
:thank you:
Tl:Dr
1. how much grow juice from 1lb of jacks 5-12-26 and calc nit.
2. Pumice: ok turface substitute, or fight mites and coco?

Thanks again and apologies for the Lord of the rings nonsense :)

av8or

Gents... delta, av8, snook, mckush and the rest! Hats off to y'all. I think I've waded through all the big ppk threads and am in awe at the detail and knowledge you have developed and shared so freely. I'm ready to give it a go myself having had a decade away from growing. I'll be posting a full build thread and such soon : might be the most micro ppk build outside medicine crow's awesomeness, but I digress.

This hobbit is having to ship jacks from the us to middle earth as no one around here carries it. As such, shipping fees are a killer adding approx 50% on the price of the 4lb tub, and significantly more on the 25lb sacks. Obviously I don't want to have to reorder these essential supplies once I'm up and running, as that will get the attention of the black riders...

I need to know (approx) how many gallons of 600ppm solution does 1lb of jacks make to calculate if 4lbs wil do me for the forseeable, or if I'd be better off taking a bigger hit up front and having what I suspect would be a life time supply with change from the 25lb sacks... economy of scale etc.

Also, turface doesn't exist here but I can get a range of pumice sizes: any tips? I remember a magic formula for o2 porosity wicking height and such, but I can't remember where I saw it...there was an experiment in the original thread I think? Anyone have a post#?

Maybe I'm a geek but I actually enjoyed the LOTR references. I'm.a huge fan of the books and movies. I usually have one of the movies playing every night as background noise so I can fall asleep!

Welcome aboard, BGT! Thanks for checking out the ppk world. We have a lot of.fun around here exploring just how big and fast we can grow these wonderful plants. Ppk seems to have taken over that competition!

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on the 25# bag of jacks. The calnit, however, you can get a LOT cheaper from other manufacturers. Yara Liva calnit is what I just started buying. It was $18 for a 50# bag locally but I imagine it's gonna be cheaper online, too. The main jacks formula you'll need to get from JR Peters, though. It only seems expensive at first. I don't know how many tablespoons go into a pound, but 600 ppm typically works out to be right around a tablespoon of each product for every 10 gallons of water. I suppose I could go do some weighing and measuring but you get the idea. It goes a long way. That being said, you don't want to run out in the middle of a run, so just get the big bag. You won't regret it.

No worries on the turface. Pumice is arguably better, depending on who you talk to. Root zone porosity in a ppk shows explosive growth around 35% ish. Not sure on particle size but I imagine it would be the smaller size. I'll ask a buddy who uses it and see what size he's using. I do know that he has his pump timers set at 15-30 seconds every 60 minutes depending on plant size. The bigger they are, the longer the pump stays on.

Couple pieces of advice:
- level your floor or level each ppk site with the other ones so they're all on an equally level playing field (which will keep you from.drowning one while starving another).
- set air gap at 4" to start with. You probably won't change that again.
- if your water supply is over 150-175 ppm normally, you might want to get a reverse osmosis filter (I don't use one, but I used to at a different site with a different water supply)
- don't chase ph in this system. It'll buff out, so mix nutes to 600 ppm and adjust ph to 5.8 then walk away. If the ppms drop and ph spikes, let us know. That's typically not the issue. If ppm rises and ph drops, just add water. Pretty easy.
- get more trimming scissors because your yields are about to increase a bit!
- please, please, please share with us how everything is moving along. Transparency is paramount in the ppk community. We all like to help one another out around here and no one cares who grows the biggest, fastest, etc.. So please do let us know what's working and what's not. This is all a work in progress still. Maybe you're the one who figures out a tiny piece of this ppk puzzle that helps the rest of us out! Who knows??

Alright, the sun is coming up in Oregon so I best get this dog out for a walk before I have my one chore this week to do, and that's filling up a 50 gallon res.

Again, welcome brother (or sister)! I hope you enjoy playing around with the ppk! Ask all questions.....they'll be answered!

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Welcome Benji! when you get ready start a thread and mention PPK in the title and I'll link you on the PPK link-o-rama. mentioning PPK in the title should hopefully help others find you in the future.

i didn't do the calcs for you on jacks but will link you some threads for reading. I bought a 4lb tub of jacks/calcnit then when it ran out i bought the 25lb bags... If you are going to grow for more than 1 or 2 years, just save yourself the effort and get the 25lb bags to start and store them in a dry sealed 5gal bucket - i just twist tie off the Peters bag and set them in the 5gal bucket with Gamma Lid. My ferts stay dry and don't clump. then I dip into the 25lb bucket Jacks bag and keep a quart of each in my cabinet in a smaller container that pours easily, the bulk of the jacks is just stored elsewhere then - out of sight and i'm not running out!

http://www.jrpeters.com/site_Files/Content/PDF/Three-Ways-to-Avoid-Common-Fertilizer-Problems.pdf

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231574

http://www.jrpeters.com/products_/16491/17592-jack-s-professional/16387-5-12-26-hydroponic-.html

good luck and remember to enjoy the process (successes as well as failures..)

av8or

Man Av, your answer is like 10x mine. I quit.

lol ;)

You have more important things to do than lay in bed, dab and respond to the Internets. I, unfortunately, do not. Although, I did take my fat ass for a run this morning. First time since graduating warrant officer candidate school that I actually elevated my heart rate from moving my feet quickly. Once you become an officer you kinda just pencil whip that PT test. Haha! But yeah, that's the highlight of my day...so I sometimes leave detailed responses. Like right now. This could have been a simple "haha, yeah I'm a mouthy mo fraggie" but instead you're tortured with this nonsensical rambling. Speaking of digressing...

Seriously though, I've got a lot to do today. Like wait for my co2 tanks to get delivered. Um, I guess that's it, though. So maybe I'm just gonna fox around all day. I do have a plant I could harvest. Really looking forward to it. It's called El Chapo and apparently the breeder I got it from says he had it tested at MRX labs at 31.69%. Right?? So, we will see. I'll try to take a few pics and let you all be the judge. If I have time, that is. Like I've demonstrated, I'm pretty busy with other things so who knows if I'll ever get around to it!

Dabbing this thc distillate is a sticky mess.

av8or

Here's the calcium nitrate I use. It has a red fingerprint picture on the bag so you know it's good stuff.

Attachments

• IMAG2482.jpg
    IMAG2482.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 19

Benjigreenthumb

Hey av8 thanks for the reply and all the awesome knowledge. Having read through most of the main threads I will absolutely be posting my progress and expecting step by step tuition... seriously though it's been amazing vicariously following the threads and watching you guys figure it all out. Yara live is easily available here, so no need to ship the jacks, however I've been told that anythin over 20lbs won't clear the orks at customs. It sounds like the jacks goes a long way, but to be on the safe side I'm probably going to have to pay the premium and get a couple of 4lb tubs. Such is life in middld earth.
The other thing I'm finding tricky to source are small float valves. Cow feeding trough ones are easy enough, but smaller than that seems to not exist here.
Regards from Hobbiton
:)

av8or

Try fish tank supply type sources. Maybe the local home improvement type store will have a small plumbing float?

I'll be honest....I'm ignorant to international shipping procedures. Can you get on Amazon or eBay and order one? So long as you have whatever hose/tubing that the float connects to, you can use as big or small a float as you want.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have more important things to do than lay in bed, dab and respond to the Internets. I, unfortunately, do not. Although, I did take my fat ass for a run this morning. First time since graduating warrant officer candidate school that I actually elevated my heart rate from moving my feet quickly. Once you become an officer you kinda just pencil whip that PT test. Haha! But yeah, that's the highlight of my day...so I sometimes leave detailed responses. Like right now. This could have been a simple "haha, yeah I'm a mouthy mo fraggie" but instead you're tortured with this nonsensical rambling. Speaking of digressing...

Seriously though, I've got a lot to do today. Like wait for my co2 tanks to get delivered. Um, I guess that's it, though. So maybe I'm just gonna fox around all day. I do have a plant I could harvest. Really looking forward to it. It's called El Chapo and apparently the breeder I got it from says he had it tested at MRX labs at 31.69%. Right?? So, we will see. I'll try to take a few pics and let you all be the judge. If I have time, that is. Like I've demonstrated, I'm pretty busy with other things so who knows if I'll ever get around to it!

Dabbing this thc distillate is a sticky mess.

so you saying i need to put my pipe and tablet down, take my slippers off and get to work? lol i work naked after all so really just need to kick off the slippies and step out of this bathrobe loosely draped around my shoulders, and let the world breathe on me....

31+% wow. need pics plz.

thc distillate? man, you lucky mofo's in legal & mmj states! Uh, i'm smoking a joint I grew in a room where the carbon filter erases all evidence.... strange days man.

growing up we could only get stoned and have stone talk about growing our own supply... just never really seemed like it *could* even happen, much less *would*

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
so you saying i need to put my pipe and tablet down, take my slippers off and get to work? lol i work naked after all so really just need to kick off the slippies and step out of this bathrobe loosely draped around my shoulders, and let the world breathe on me....

31+% wow. need pics plz.

thc distillate? man, you lucky mofo's in legal & mmj states! Uh, i'm smoking a joint I grew in a room where the carbon filter erases all evidence.... strange days man.

growing up we could only get stoned and have stone talk about growing our own supply... just never really seemed like it *could* even happen, much less *would*
I hear you wear a
bluto.gif
under that robe too.

Ravenboy

Hola from Buenos Aires!!!

I am nearing the end on my first PPK grow, needless to say its all good. I can't believe the yield... easily double, perhaps more than my hand watered hempies... I know this is old news to you guys, but I am absolutely blown away.

I do have a question about final flushing - I have read that some, using jacks don't even bother, but I think I still prefer to flush

so this PPK grow is my first active hydro grow, and I plan to start flushing some plants (I have a pump per plant, and no central res) now with just plain water, thats what I did using jacks with hempy buckets

but then it occurred to me that I should seek advice. I only plan to flush for a week , no more than two

right now I am hitting them with a flood every 90 minutes (coco perlite 50-50) - is it ok to final-flush a ppk with plain water (no nutrients at all) and if so, does it need to be PH'd at all... (the thing about PH adjusting plain water is its being so -- quirky as to when the bottom falls completely out of the ph as you add just one more little squirt)

so your final flush advice is welcome!!

Last edited:

av8or

Hola from Buenos Aires!!!

I am nearing the end on my first PPK grow, needless to say its all good. I can't believe the yield... easily double, perhaps more than my hand watered hempies... I know this is old news to you guys, but I am absolutely blown away.

I do have a question about final flushing - I have read that some, using jacks don't even bother, but I think I still prefer to flush

so this PPK grow is my first active hydro grow, and I plan to start flushing some plants (I have a pump per plant, and no central res) now with just plain water, thats what I did using jacks with hempy buckets

but then it occurred to me that I should seek advice. I only plan to flush for a week , no more than two

right now I am hitting them with a flood every 90 minutes (coco perlite 50-50) - is it ok to final-flush a ppk with plain water (no nutrients at all) and if so, does it need to be PH'd at all... (the thing about PH adjusting plain water is its being so -- quirky as to when the bottom falls completely out of the ph as you add just one more little squirt)

so your final flush advice is welcome!!

There's no scientific reason to flush. It's an anecdotal response to poor curing that is entirely unproven and counter intuitive. What are you flushing and for what reason? All taking nutes away does is shut down the photosynthetic process, killing your plant slowly. A quick study on nutrient transport will show you that the plant can only take what ions it needs from the nutrient solution. You can't force it to take extra of anything. People have developed a misunderstanding of nutrient uptake by looking at these charts that tell you about excesses of nutrients. What they don't explain is that the excess is in the solution, not the plant, causing lockouts of other nutrient uptake. That means that taking nutes away only exacerbates the issue.

That being said, most people don't use a seemingly weak solution of 600 ppm the entire grow cycle. Why can we get away with it? Mass bio availability of nutrients, essentially. All we do is maintain a nutrient ratio (between macros and micros) that allow the plant to sample what it needs, when it needs it. This is why we don't have lockouts in ppk systems. Salts never build up being a recirculating hydro system....so again, what are you flushing?

The only thing accomplished is the flushing away of good health for a strong finishing plant.

Flushing advice: Don't. Science disagrees with it.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
There's no scientific reason to flush. It's an anecdotal response to poor curing that is entirely unproven and counter intuitive. What are you flushing and for what reason? All taking nutes away does is shut down the photosynthetic process, killing your plant slowly. A quick study on nutrient transport will show you that the plant can only take what ions it needs from the nutrient solution. You can't force it to take extra of anything. People have developed a misunderstanding of nutrient uptake by looking at these charts that tell you about excesses of nutrients. What they don't explain is that the excess is in the solution, not the plant, causing lockouts of other nutrient uptake. That means that taking nutes away only exacerbates the issue.

That being said, most people don't use a seemingly weak solution of 600 ppm the entire grow cycle. Why can we get away with it? Mass bio availability of nutrients, essentially. All we do is maintain a nutrient ratio (between macros and micros) that allow the plant to sample what it needs, when it needs it. This is why we don't have lockouts in ppk systems. Salts never build up being a recirculating hydro system....so again, what are you flushing?

The only thing accomplished is the flushing away of good health for a strong finishing plant.

Flushing advice: Don't. Science disagrees with it.
I lovit when you guys talk dirty!
95dbb32d.gif