What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

Ace12985

i've received some new clones from a friend that started them in rockwool cubes. What would be the best way to transfer these over to my ppk system?

Weird to hear that others see their PH go up. My last run my PH dropped hard around 8 weeks of flowering. Talking 4.2 in the system when the rez was at 5.8 at ~600-700 ppm.

DelTaco

some people leave the ph, i myself do not like to. but i also dont fight it as hard as i used to, adjust once a day only now. an try not to keep circulating the drip feed once you adjust the ph, it changes things an u can overwater this way.

not sure what deltas thought on this is, however one thing you can do is lower the ph on your input/topoff feed. that will slow the increase of your ph on the main circulating rez, as it feeds. depending on how much the plants are transpiring / drinking you will see less ph swing cause entering topoff has a low ph.

with me, the stronger my toppoff solution, the lower the ph will be. on said topoff rez if i mix at 800-900 ppm my ph will be 5.8. if when i increase the amount of scoops of food to 1300-1400 ppm, i see a 4.2ph. ( at correct times of growth i go higher ppm to 1300ppm-1400ppm only because those top off rezs have another float feeding in straight ro. that 1300-1400ppm will become 500ppm in one cycle off a 33 gal top off rez. )

this way my topoff never runs dry. i may see 20gal disappear in one light cycle. if i go away for 2-3days, the topoff rez would dry out, then the main circulating rez starts to dry out. i'd rather have lower ppm or no food water entering the system then no water at all. but thats me...

bsafe

Thank you sir for the input, I think I'm going to try what you suggest about the input feed. For me when I mix jacks and calcnit with RO water the PH is always low in the 4's so I add a couple drops of PH up and it will settle at around 5.6-5.8 which is what I Have been using but this time since I changed out my res the PH is hovering at 6.4+ in the main res after less than a week but inside the cereal container with my float it measures 5.7. I just refilled my top off res yesterday and I was debating on if I should even add the PH up since it rises by itself anyway. Next time I'm going to skip it and see what happens.

What I'm also noticing is that although my res was full of clear nutes once I did the change out it is starting to get a layer of precipitate on the top again and I'm not sure why as I have not made any adjustments inside the res at all.

DelTaco

Something else I am considering doing when my feed res goes dry this next time is to swap out the whole system with new nutes but I was also thinking of adding SM-90. McKush says he uses it and it acts like a ph buffer for him.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Something else I am considering doing when my feed res goes dry this next time is to swap out the whole system with new nutes but I was also thinking of adding SM-90. McKush says he uses it and it acts like a ph buffer for him.
mCkUSH
e72ee932.gif
ya gotta watch that guy
2213eecc.gif
.:biggrin:

av8or

i've received some new clones from a friend that started them in rockwool cubes. What would be the best way to transfer these over to my ppk system?

Same as anything else....except next time don't get rockwool clones if you can help it. The stems tend to pinch in a ppk because the rockwool keeps it too wet.

av8or

Weird to hear that others see their PH go up. My last run my PH dropped hard around 8 weeks of flowering. Talking 4.2 in the system when the rez was at 5.8 at ~600-700 ppm.

Of course it did. Nutrient uptake at 8 weeks is minimal so the ph would naturally drive downward. Your ppm should have risen, as well. Just toss plain water in the system late in flower and the chemicals will buff out.

av8or

Why?

A lot of you continue to have issues mixing nutes. This is not like your other grow systems that you all came up using. D9 and I both do the exact same thing and it's still the simplest method out there (in ppk land).

Mix equal volumes of jacks first, then calcium nitrate. Add ph down if needed. If not, don't add ph up. Then go smoke a bowl or a dab. No further instructions required.

Don't get me wrong, mix however you want....but if you wanna grow multiple pound trees over 30% thc, then just do what we do.

I'll say this again....I have no idea what the 7 different ppk systems ph is at right now. Haven't looked in a loooooong time. I only ph the mixing res and walk away.

DelTaco

Why?

A lot of you continue to have issues mixing nutes. This is not like your other grow systems that you all came up using. D9 and I both do the exact same thing and it's still the simplest method out there (in ppk land).

Mix equal volumes of jacks first, then calcium nitrate. Add ph down if needed. If not, don't add ph up. Then go smoke a bowl or a dab. No further instructions required.

Don't get me wrong, mix however you want....but if you wanna grow multiple pound trees over 30% thc, then just do what we do.

I'll say this again....I have no idea what the 7 different ppk systems ph is at right now. Haven't looked in a loooooong time. I only ph the mixing res and walk away.

I hear you but trust me I am mixing the nutes exactly like you are saying but my system is NOT behaving like you guys say it should. My feed is at 5.8, my system was at 6 after a complete change out and in 5 days I am already back at 6.5 again and according to ppk rules that's when I should change out the system again. Also within those 5 days my system went from clear nutes to a layer of white precipitate on top. Something is up, I just don't know what it is.

My plants are growing well but there is something not quite right, the leaves have a swollen crinkled look to them which to me says there is some sort of nute lock out going on or an N deficiency I'm not sure.

I'm doing full floods not pulses with 600 ppm. My leaf temps are 73f-74f and my RH is 70%. Unless I am misunderstanding what I am reading that should be a recipe for success.

av8or

I hear you but trust me I am mixing the nutes exactly like you are saying but my system is NOT behaving like you guys say it should. My feed is at 5.8, my system was at 6 after a complete change out and in 5 days I am already back at 6.5 again and according to ppk rules that's when I should change out the system again. Also within those 5 days my system went from clear nutes to a layer of white precipitate on top. Something is up, I just don't know what it is.

My plants are growing well but there is something not quite right, the leaves have a swollen crinkled look to them which to me says there is some sort of nute lock out going on or an N deficiency I'm not sure.

I'm doing full floods not pulses with 600 ppm. My leaf temps are 73f-74f and my RH is 70%. Unless I am misunderstanding what I am reading that should be a recipe for success.

Man.....that should be the correct recipe, as you say. How often are you flooding? I almost feel like there's a root drying/rotting issue.

DelTaco

Man.....that should be the correct recipe, as you say. How often are you flooding? I almost feel like there's a root drying/rotting issue.

I flood every 3 hours when the lights are on and they run 18/6 so they get fed 6 times a day.

I think I'm going to do a complete system change out again but this time I will flush my turface with ph'd RO water to try and rinse any salt build up out if there is any, then I will fill it back up with fresh nutes.

The only thing I think I might be doing wrong is adding ph up. When I mix the jacks and calcnit with RO water to 600 ppm my ph is right around 4. Do you think I should try refilling the system with nutes at this ph or keep doing what I'm doing and upping it to 5.8? If I run it through the turface it will probably raise it up to ~6 anyway are my thoughts. Would it damage my plants at all though?

You mention a root rotting issue, I have to admit I am torturing these plants by

fliptopbox .......sometimes large amounts of bacterial growth can cause large ph changes

I hear ya, but the roots were fine and she wasn't drowning.

Of course it did. Nutrient uptake at 8 weeks is minimal so the ph would naturally drive downward. Your ppm should have risen, as well. Just toss plain water in the system late in flower and the chemicals will buff out.

Not sure why I typed 8 instead of 4 there, but this was at 4 weeks of flower. I thought it might have been the tap water, but it was never over 15ppm out of the tap. It was super alkaline; like 8 PH usually. However, once I added the neuts it would drop to 4 or so and just take a bit to PH up to ~5.8-6.
I'll try RO next run and see if it makes a difference.
:tiphat:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I havent been using SM90 for a few grows. Its ok and i like the smell and it may give you the ph youre after. It didnt seem to hurt or greatly improve things and delicate tasting plants may take on a bit of its smell imo. I may use it again but havent really needed to and im growing monsters.

Biggest thing i watch for is ppm rise in sites or res then add back rodi to delute the res and bring it down. Havent had over eating as much.

Changed up my ventilation recently and have added a greenbeam to the gavita in flower.

Current group is best ive had and last mango i did 2.5lb for the one plant i kept till finish

SuperWeed

I just want to drop this here...

I just want to drop this here...

and thank Spurr, Delta9, Big Toke, Heath Robinson, and so many others for their help over the years.

It's been a long time since I posted and my life has gone to shit.

So I thought maybe if I share a good idea, that is in reality the combination of other great ideas, then maybe karma would be nice to me for a little while... maybe that's selfish, idk.

This show produced 12lb per month with less than 24 plants, in less than 900 square feet, originally on 60amps. It was done on the super cheap to help an older lady with fibromyagia. Almost all the bud was turned into oil or edibles.

Mr Blah

trying to calculate some lists of materials for some 4 ppk plant rooms.
(for the people doing this way); would it be easier to do it like this with 3.5gal buckets with a 7gal feed pan on top? Or one larger pump and 4-3.5gal sites? See pic below.
I have seen in this thread way back in the #1500 post that someone was doing it with 3 buckets pr/modular. Can it be done with 2 if the pulse is small?

The floor would be level for the most part.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 15
I used the 3g feed tray on a 3.5g bucket with a 5g pump/float bucket and a 3.5g reservoir on top so it is definitely possible. I have a 500g/hr pump doing floods for 10 seconds without problem. In the future I will be downsizing the pump as it was complete overkill; I'm thinking a 185g/hr pump should be sufficient.

picture.php

DelTaco

From my short 2 months ppk experience I would go with smaller pumps and put them in the bucket below your plant. Having 1 pump like I currently do with a distribution system is a pain in the ass when it comes to mobility of plant sites.

If I had to do it over again (and I will shortly) I am going to keep my control res (with the float) and my bulk feed res away from my plants and have all the plant sites drain back into the control res. That is how my setup is now but the only difference being I would go to smaller pumps to each plant. For me anyway this is important because it will allow me to move my plants around so I can fill in the canopy better.

Latest posts

Latest posts