What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

vender

OK Update I borrowed a Caliber and it reads 54% RH. The person that lent me the Caliber said I hung dry it to fast. I have a 2'x2'x7' box with four fans, one on each side blowing 24/7. Thanks for all the help.

Batboy

Okay. . . . what now?

Here is a pic of 7 hygrometers/thermometers. 2 Caliber IIIs, 4 cheapos from ebay and one nicer model from a nursery.

RH ranges from 43-55%!! Even if I trashed the highest and lowest readings, I would still have a range of 46-54% All of these are younger than 4 months. WTF? Temps ranges are a little closer, but I don't really care about temps!

Budsworth

Okay. . . . what now?

Here is a pic of 7 hygrometers/thermometers. 2 Caliber IIIs, 2 cheapos from ebay and one nicer model from a nursery.

RH ranges from 43-55%!! Even if I trashed the highest and lowest readings, I would still have a range of 46-54% All of these are younger than 4 months. WTF? Temps ranges are a little closer, but I don't really care about temps!

Looks like your Calibers are close in range. And one is propped up while the other is lying flat. Could be the two point difference.

Budsworth

I'm here to complain...and I hope you ALL can complain with me on this one:

Why the hell hasn't this thread been stickied? I've come back to this thread more than any other thread on not only IC, but any thread about our hobby on every other forum on the intratubes.

For Pete's sakes mods....sticky this thread!!!!!!!!

Can I get a second?

Apache123

Why the hell hasn't this thread been stickied? I've come back to this thread more than any other thread on not only IC, but any thread about our hobby on every other forum on the intratubes.

Can I get a second?

Here here, I second this motion:thank you: Mods!

dodo5678

Can I get a second?

Here, here, here. I'll 3rd the motion!
:bump:

-dodo :joint:

TokohamaBongzai

Hey everybody I'm new to the site and new to cultivation. I'm having trouble getting my herb to smell good during the curing process. I have hygrometers and I dry in a tent with an average temperature at 74 degrees and the humidity is between 42-58% in a given day. The herb is usually dry in 3-4 days and then I put it into the jars with the hygrometers and continually burp several times a day until the humidity reaches between 55-65%. But even if I leave it shut for a week and open it up it still doesn't have that knock out smell. Do you guys have an suggestions?

dodo5678

Hey everybody I'm new to the site and new to cultivation. I'm having trouble getting my herb to smell good during the curing process. I have hygrometers and I dry in a tent with an average temperature at 74 degrees and the humidity is between 42-58% in a given day. The herb is usually dry in 3-4 days and then I put it into the jars with the hygrometers and continually burp several times a day until the humidity reaches between 55-65%. But even if I leave it shut for a week and open it up it still doesn't have that knock out smell. Do you guys have an suggestions?

:wave: welcome to ICM!

man, sounds like you did everything right. it could just take a while for your particular strain to develop. i have had a batch curing for a couple months now and I still think it should smell better! does not mean we did anything wrong per se.

then again it's just my opinion that is should smell better, but not necessarily what's been dealt to that particular plants genetics. then again maybe some of the other genetics she has are really good for cloning, or just dense buds.

kinda like getting a used car, you're looking at bmw's and will buy one for sure (we all believe you did), but they are all going to smell different when you get in them. maybe some smell like cigarette smoke, others like ass, some even good like a hot chick but it is what it is.... give it long enough after you own it and may start to smell better, maybe not.

maybe i'm just high! :jump:

so give it some patience, some time and a few more grows with more plants. when you find the right one with all the right attributes, clone the shit outta her! until then

:smoweed:

stay cool breeze,
-dodo :joint:

sire

simon, dave, whats going on fellow growers. i totally agree it definitely depends on the strain plus ur patience. i dried and cured 1 bubblelicious 3 nebulas 1 cindy99 and 1 white widow. well bubble had its sweet taste smell and texture in 2 weeks and 9 days. the nebulas took 3 weeks to take on its smell white widow took 2 weeks and cindy99 is still going and its been since august 3rd and there's no paticular smell or taste. across the board i dry for 3-5 days of drying put in jars until 66-63% inside. now i do wanna no how do you get that smell of chrolophyll out if when u reach 65-60% u only open the jars once a week?

d3cryption

Veteran
i would like to know the same as sire...

i also tried this method and everything came out smelling like "dirt" weed.. . :|

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
now i do wanna no how do you get that smell of chrolophyll out if when u reach 65-60% u only open the jars once a week?

The chlorophyll smell doesn't leave the plant, because the jar is being opened. It is diminished in time due to chemistry. The jar is vented to release excess moisture. As you're measuring the moisture in the container, instead of just guessing, you know by the indicated numerical value whether to vent the jar or not.

i would like to know the same as sire...

What, exactly?

i also tried this method and everything came out smelling like "dirt" weed.. . :|

How about a little more info? Some pics of the plant would help.

Simon

sire

The chlorophyll smell doesn't leave the plant, because the jar is being opened. It is diminished in time due to chemistry. The jar is vented to release excess moisture. As you're measuring the moisture in the container, instead of just guessing, you know by the indicated numerical value whether to vent the jar or not.

thanks simon i see the logic in that. i have a grand daddy purp coming out in 2 weeks now that i've learned the science of that part i'll apply it and hopefully can get better results. one other question simon by me opening it and closing the jar after i reached 63-65% what can counter productively could happen?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
one other question simon by me opening it and closing the jar after i reached 63-65% what can counter productively could happen?

The only danger in doing that is drying out the product a little too much. If the moisture inside the containers remains constant and in-range, feel free to open and vent the jars as much as you like. The flowers need air to fuel the curing process. As you fill the jars, make sure to leave some space for air. Good luck. :)

Simon

sire

The only danger in doing that is drying out the product a little too much. If the moisture inside the containers remains constant and in-range, feel free to open and vent the jars as much as you like. The flowers need air to fuel the curing process. As you fill the jars, make sure to leave some space for air. Good luck. :)

Simon

thanks again i figured as much..... what have u got going?

d3cryption

Veteran
how do you get that smell of chrolophyll out.. was the question... and i don't have any pics........ you've cleared it up though.. so Next time i should have better results...

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Does it matter where the hygrometer is in the jar? And at what point would you be concerned that the jar is too large for one hygrometer to give an accurate reading for the whole jar? I was thinking of mounting mine permanently in a bunch of large jars. But am concerned that if I go over 1 gallon (maybe 3-5) that I'll need one mounted near the bottom, and one near the top to be sure the whole jar is consistent.

Once the moisture is redistributed evenly throughout the product, it doesn't matter where the hygrometer is placed. Same goes for the size of the container (within reason).

Simon

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
ppl said I need to talk to simon about my curing problem.

I will be going on a 2 week vacation in december and my OD flowers will be dry and curing in there jars by then.

my ? is while Im gone should the buds not be in the jars. cuz I won't be there to open the jars weekly.

so how long can buds be in the jars befor they get moldy?

I know I have plenty of time befor that time comes but I wanted to make sure to know what to do. and I cant fuck up on the curing of the flowers.

thanks.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
ppl said I need to talk to simon about my curing problem.

I will be going on a 2 week vacation in december and my OD flowers will be dry and curing in there jars by then.

my ? is while Im gone should the buds not be in the jars. cuz I won't be there to open the jars weekly.

so how long can buds be in the jars befor they get moldy?

I know I have plenty of time befor that time comes but I wanted to make sure to know what to do. and I cant fuck up on the curing of the flowers.

thanks.

How long will the bud stay in the jars before you leave?

Simon