What's new

A perfect cure every time

twrex

If you have humidity problems a small ramekin of silica beads in your curing jar may help out. Alternatively you could dehumidify the room / tent the curing jars are in so when you burp them they are getting dryer rather than wetter. Hope this helps.

I believe he was indicating that he lives in an arid climate and has trouble drying slowly. Essentially the opposite of the problem you were giving the solution to. :)

Budsworth

And it seems this cure is a bit harder to get down in our neck 'o da woodz than for most in more humid, sea-level climates......

I using a large, enameled cabinet for drying. It doesn't absorb any moisture...so I can stretch the dry out at least a week.

I've dried in cardboard and it just sucked the moisture right out of the bud in a couple of days.

bagada

my problem here in hawaii is the humidity stays high...ill try to burb the jars and they dont get lower than 65

B

bcell

In the NE US and in the past week my RH in the room I am drying/curing has been between 48% and 60% - all over the map. Requires some judgement. On average the room is 55%. 2 weeks drying seems to be about right before placing in a jar. The buds slowly went up to 66% in 3 days. I took the tops of jars off overnight and they have stabilized at 60%.

I agree about the number of growers who overlook curing. Seems like there is too much splitting hairs on nutes/media and not enough on curing. Great thread.

Psuper

Great guide Simon.

While I've certainely cured succesfully before, I am interested in monitoring the RH like you do before leaving the jars closed....

I am wondering why everyone is stuck on the specific digital hygrometer you pictured. Is that just the smallest one you could find? Aren't they any tiny analog (cheaper) ones that can be calibrated??

twrex

Great guide Simon.

While I've certainely cured succesfully before, I am interested in monitoring the RH like you do before leaving the jars closed....

I am wondering why everyone is stuck on the specific digital hygrometer you pictured. Is that just the smallest one you could find? Aren't they any tiny analog (cheaper) ones that can be calibrated??

I'd mentioned something similar here not too long ago. I think that everyone is buying the calibers because people have been getting reliable results with them, I personally think that something adjustable is probably better. Ah, found my post.

Hm, well a thought I had was about these guys: http://www.bovedadirect.com/products/index.cfm they have two hygrometers listed there, that come with testing kits AND are adjustable, so if it's not reading properly you can adjust it. The other option is to go oldschool with it and get an analog one for humidors, they're cheaper (usually under $10) but will require calibration.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I decided to look at the Amazon reviews for the Hygroset II, and its only real complaint was that it was difficult to calibrate, but most came accurate or within 1%. Only one person said it wasn't working correctly after two weeks. It looks like it'd be a better choice perhaps. Either way, Ive got my perfectly calibrated Caliber III, and I am happy with it.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Great guide Simon.

I tested a number of hygrometers, analog and digital, and the Calibers delivered the most accurate and consistent readings. That's why I recommend them and nothing else as a primary monitor.

Simon

slowandeasy

Veteran
I tested a number of hygrometers, analog and digital, and the Calibers delivered the most accurate and consistent readings. That's why I recommend them and nothing else as a primary monitor.

Simon

ordered 3 calibers and they arrived in less than a week. Ordered some Ebay china ones same night....but not here yet. Anyone know how long these take to arrive?

Psuper

Thanks for the great answers you three. Twrex, I might have to go with that one since it comes with the test kit. But I am sold on these Caliber III as well after all the positive reviews.

gingerale

Veteran
I believe he was indicating that he lives in an arid climate and has trouble drying slowly. Essentially the opposite of the problem you were giving the solution to. :)

well in that case the solution is still simple. just buy a bag of humidor humidity beads. 70% is what you want. in an arid room when drying bud, let it dry so that the hairs and outer leaves feel very crisp and brittle, and until the twig snaps cleanly. then fill mason jars halfway full with the buds. after a day check them, the remaining moisture should have spread out and the outside should no longer be brittle. if the buds still feel too dry then thats fine, put some of those humidity beads in there and let it cure out as normal. when all's said and done you will have some fantastic smoke. drying/curing in an arid environment is way better than humid imo.

bagada

i agree about the humidity part^^^^^^^one guy even said that he has dryed in both humid and arid and the dryer days were way better

chappie

Veteran
What can be done if the jar reads 55% and doesn't rise? Safer to leave it closed anyway as long as possible, or crack it and try to add some moisture-containing bud or leaf matter?

gingerale

Veteran
add humidor beads, it will bring humidity up to 70% in the jar and bud will moisturize perfectly. also no matter what the humidity is, you need to open the jar at least once a week and let fresh air in.

igrowone

Veteran
i'll toss this one out to the jury, here's the info
PPP buds have been dried for 10 days or so, they feel about right
my ambient RH has been high, seeing 60% to 65%, so maybe curing in ambient air?
the bud smell was pretty fragrant mint + sweet something + bit of skunk
into the jars for 12 hours or so, caliber shows 65% RH
i check the progress, weird smell, grassy odor seems to be popping up
and something else, not sure what but strong, so i pull them out
their original odor seems to be back, but kind of freaked me out
any thoughts?

gingerale

Veteran
hey man, weird smell/grassy odor when jarred = still too wet! good news is you caught it early and it will evaporate if you remove the buds and let them dry for another day or two before you try again. the buds should feel TOO DRY when they are the proper dryness to be jarred, i.e. moderately crisp and brittle. after you jar then wait a good 24 hours and feel them again, you should feel that the remaining moisture has spread out and its the proper dryness all around. if you do it right, then every time you open that jar to take a big ole sniff of that lovely fragrance, you should smell only lovely fragrance and NO grassiness or other objectionable smell. if the buds are still too crisp and brittle after a day or two in the jar, then add in the humidity beads and that will remoisturize them. BTW, i find that letting them get "too dry" before re-hydrating back to proper level REALLY brings out the good smell you want and kills off the grassiness.

igrowone

Veteran
gingerale, big thanks and +rep
this was my guess, and you're right, i was quick
that's because i had mold screw me in another cure so i'm primed on being suspicious