What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Looking nice and frosty - perhaps the defoliation was a little extreme? I always try to avoid light hitting the floor.

Yeah you might be right, never really done defoiling before.

Once this test is over, I figure I will try again with a higher sqft wattage. With this low wattage spectrum test, im not expecting huge buds.
Anything between 10 and 15 gram, dry buds from each plant. Will be a succes on the gpw, along with all the data on the spectrums.

Then I will try to defoil a little less, maybe do a side by side test.

@hush Thank you, welcome aboard. Good to see new faces, hope you will enjoy your stay here. :tiphat:

blackone

Veteran
Only one way to find out. The plants don't come with a manual and the China leds probably don't either :)

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Got some new Dual row strips today, with a different chip (5730) 12Volt 6500K. (Cold white)
I have also ordered some Warm White, Im guessing they will be around 3-4000K.

New toys, and boys will be boys. So first order, take em apart.

Smoke break, while bridging the gabs.

Mounted on a single heatsink, to see if it can handle it.

144 Chips on each "bar" of two dual row strips

blackone

Veteran
Fuck this resistor and fuck that resistor. Waste of wattage :) And shouldn't be needed with constant current.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Fuck this resistor and fuck that resistor. Waste of wattage :) And shouldn't be needed with constant current.

Exactly, but working blind. As I have no datasheets of any kind, on any of these no name chips/strips. But thats half the fun, and so what if I burn out a few 1.2$ dollar strips.

I think I'll try to order a Mean Well driver next month, to see how they will preform on a quality driver. As non of the china drivers, don't give out the rated mA current.

Team Putin
Flower day 29

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Quad bar test

Quad bar test

Testing my new Quad bars, on two small 70W china drivers.

It's around 46 Watt at the wall total, next month I think I will try and buy a MW Driver or two.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
it looks as if you have some of those wired up in series, not parallel like how 120v or 220v electrical devices are normally wired.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Spectrum test 7 weeks

Spectrum test 7 weeks

7 weeks into the Spectrum test and thing are looking all right.

Lowered the Ec down around 1.6 at 5.8 pH

blackone

Veteran
Seems like the 3000-4000 are a little bit ahead in calyx building, closely followed by the 6000 and 6500 with the 8000 being a bit more leafy. Pretty marginal differences though except for the 8000.
Getting nice and frosty - do you think they will go the full 10 weeks?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Seems like the 3000-4000 are a little bit ahead in calyx building, closely followed by the 6000 and 6500 with the 8000 being a bit more leafy. Pretty marginal differences though except for the 8000.
Getting nice and frosty - do you think they will go the full 10 weeks?

Yes that seems to be the case, I have ordered 30 new dual row strips around 3-4000K. I won't know until I get them, the problem with Ebay sellers and their laging datasheets.
but given the difference is so minimal, I figure it prolly won't do that big a difference. From what I have read from other LED growers, it's very mixed. Some recommend 3000K and others claim better results from 4000K, so I figure it might not matter much in the end.

The leafy 6500K might prove to yeald better, the buds are bigger and all the leafs are tightly packed in trichomes. I already now wonder how much to trim off, and how much I should keep.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Interesting test. Watching this one with interest.

Keep watching, we are getting closer to the end. Another 20 days or so, and we should be ready to harvest.

Not sure how I will go about the smoke test, besides I will collect the top buds. Most exposed to the specific spectrum, lable them and get them dry and cured.
I think I will ask a mate if he will help me out with the smoke test, being honest my tastebuds are not that great or I don't have a high number. What ever the reason, im not great at picking up the different notes in the flavor.
To me it's more in the line of, this taste nice and rich or it's just pretty bland and borring. My nose is much better, and during flower I have no problem picking up the aromas and different smell in different pheno's. But come smoke time, it often have to be pungent for me to taste the minor differences in terp profiles between phenos.

Im thinking this will be the same, with one strain grown under different spectrums. I can smell a clear difference in a few of them, most pungent is still the small 8000K buds.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Almost full house

But a bunch of LED's on the 3000K Strips have died, they are running with the same drivers.
Getting the same voltage and current as the other strips, but all the failed strips are of the 3000K spectrum.

Took a look at the other light, and yes same problem with the 3000K strip. Im guessing bad production!

Latest posts

Latest posts