What's new

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
that thing is i waaaaaaaay to big a container. that isnt not going to work very well. it will never be able to dry up the nutes. seeds should be started in cells not much bigger than your finger. then transplanted to a 4 inch then a gallon or 5 inch square then eventually a 2 gallon. the nutrients will dry in the solution fromevaporation vs uptake thus leaving salt unused concentrated in the coco. this will cause problems. gently with a spoon take it out of that poy and put it in a 4 inch pot or smaller til it fillls the medium with roots. once that happens up pot a small incrememnt of pot size at a time.

BroughtSuperior

Veteran
up the food, but look out not to drown them in those big pots, this could be tricky, best of luck, if you can up the temperatures so that you can have them do more, dry wet cycles!!

dziqs

Like was said before- too big cointainer compared to size ofbyour baby :) so try to feed only around them, with little volume. Dont be afraid, they built roots :p

S

silviomanuel

Hello, thank you very much for your replies, I moved her to small container hope she will fill better :)

S

silviomanuel

plants that size are best hand fed..

I watered it manually an it takes 24 hours to get the coco a little bit dry,
so I am watering once a day giving it 60ml of solution.
Those 2 drippers are giving 2L in 1 hour so it takes for them like 10 minutes to fully saturate this 200ml plastic glass and get a little bit of runoff :)

Hoping they will be fine
Thank you.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
theres nothing wrong with automating the one little seedling but its just kind of insane looking. but i get it. you like to play. i do too. i built this totally badass automated feed for my veg and really never ever use it. its so much effort to make it modular to plant growth and up potting with new plant configurations to set and reset the drippers everywhere that its more efffort than just hand watering twice a day. but the moms i set up in between loading the room and starting my next round of clones. flood table dtw topfeed fanjets. because i dont need to be there everyday anymore because the flower room has a 3 day capacity tank and its on multifeed timers. i feel like if i set up a two part doser and a ph controller i could literally get by with a video feed and buddy who likes free weed to stop by once a week to refill the jugs.

S

silviomanuel

theres nothing wrong with automating the one little seedling but its just kind of insane looking. but i get it. you like to play. i do too. i built this totally badass automated feed for my veg and really never ever use it. its so much effort to make it modular to plant growth and up potting with new plant configurations to set and reset the drippers everywhere that its more efffort than just hand watering twice a day. but the moms i set up in between loading the room and starting my next round of clones. flood table dtw topfeed fanjets. because i dont need to be there everyday anymore because the flower room has a 3 day capacity tank and its on multifeed timers. i feel like if i set up a two part doser and a ph controller i could literally get by with a video feed and buddy who likes free weed to stop by once a week to refill the jugs.

Yes, It's really looks like in the Matrix movie :).
I am also searching for some PH control solution, may be when I will stop using Root complex PH will become more stable, currently it climbs from 5.7 to 7.0 in one day :(

S

silviomanuel

I think may be there is no need to go over 1 gallon (3 liter) pots with my grow box
86cm height
36cm deep
80cm length
what do you think?

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hey guys, sorry for the absence. I've had a real bad bug that just won't go, my eyes are very sore so staring at the computer is a no-no.

HGO

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I think may be there is no need to go over 1 gallon (3 liter) pots with my grow box
86cm height
36cm deep
80cm length
what do you think?

Don't go any bigger, you can make up for any difference in the size by increasing the feeding

Both HGO and I have exceeded 9 oz in 6.5 litre pots and one plant wouldn't fit in that grow box

The flow rate of 1lt/hr is under certain conditions, you should put your system together and run the drippers into a jug at the same height as the media level then run it for 10 minutes and see what you actually get......you'll almost certainly find it's not what you think due to changing static head and friction losses in the pipe work

For that size pot I'd expect to put 1ltr/12hrs through in flower, obviously less in veg as its that small

BD:joint::joint:

Last edited:

Superdry1

Hey Dr Bush and Hugo great thread and very informative ! I'm on my second grow I have 5 plants in coco each in 6.5lt pots they are around a month from seed I have fimmed them and have carried out lst. I was planning on potting them up into 15lt pots this weekend and flip them next week. Since reading this article I am now considering leaving them in 6.5lt pots, I have been out and bought the parts the make a dripper system, can I start off straight away feeding 3 x a day ?
Cheers

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I would water them till they were fully moist. Then wait till they are dry on top. When that happens remoisten them fully again. This will tell you the duration between waterings. On your first run this will be a learning phase to tell you how often you will need to water. When it gets dry on the surface you know when to water again. Just keep an eye on it. You will not have to change every other day.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I should also mention that once the roots have been well established you can pretty much water as often as you want. That is when you get the best growth. That is also why people run smaller pots. The more often you water the more often you media is back in optimal balance.

cyat

Veteran
I should also mention that once the roots have been well established you###### " can pretty much water as often as you want." ##### That is when you get the best growth. That is also why people run smaller pots. The more often you water the more often you media is back in optimal balance.

Im watering my coco 24/7

timerphobic?

Superdry1

Hey guys thanks for your replies...Ichabod the roots are well established but I have only been watering every other day, putting 1.8lts in each 6.5lt pot,

Cheers