What's new

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

BroughtSuperior

Veteran
The leafs wont go yeallow until they are lacking N, so you have to stop A and B wen you think they are almost ready, like 15 to 10 days prior to harvest, you can do This slowly dropping the levels and eventualy you start to see them change colors!

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hey, Billgee.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread but that's a bummer that you're having feeding problems. I have a few questions for ya. What EC are you feeding your plants at? How big are they? Nitrogen toxicity can be done easily in coco, keep an eye out on what exactly you are feeding them, some supplements can contain a nitrate ester for example Calcium, it's usually Calcium Nitrate that most of the nutrients companies sell. Also I just found out that Drip Clean contains Nitrogen, all these lil bits of Nitrogen add up so just keep an eye out for them, also if you need to give them magnesium then just use epsom salts as it has the Sulphate ester.

When you start multi-feeding you really don't need to be over 1.2EC, I usually don't go over 1.2EC even at the strongest feeding during peak flower. Instead of feeding heavily I keep my eyes on the plants and feed them selective nutes based on how they're looking and at what stage they're at. For example when I switch to flower I lower my A&B and add a small amount of PK 13/14, 0.1-0.2 at the start. I then gradually lower my A&B while upping the PK until I'm feeding 1.2EC with 0.6EC being PK 13/14, or within that range, but I always keep an eye on the girls to make sure they're happy, if I see signs of Nitrogen deficiencies I lower my PK and up my A&B.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

Best Vibez,
HGO

HGO, been following your thread for a while. Love it. Suprised your still at it. Over 500 posts. Wow!

I got me a problem (got many but one in particular) just cant get the girls to finish. Didnt used to be a problem in earlier grows. The ladies always gave brilliant displays of yellow when they were done and ready for me to harvest. But now they are staying green way past the estimated end dates and dont die.
I use Canna nutes and feed by their schedule. I water once a day (though I tried to start 3x a day recently and immediately 3 plants came up with burnt tips so Im confused and gun-shy) and had been feeding them every time. I usually live in a Sea of Green but its gotten out of hand. It has been suggested that I lower my Nitrogen and with Canna that means A (4-0-1 - not particularly onerous). I had a bad dose of Nitrogen toxicity in my last grow. Not sure what to do. I have switched from changing colors of leaves to more extensive trichome examination. But they just dont want to die.
Any ideas?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HGO, been following your thread for a while. Love it. Suprised your still at it. Over 500 posts. Wow!

I got me a problem (got many but one in particular) just cant get the girls to finish. Didnt used to be a problem in earlier grows. The ladies always gave brilliant displays of yellow when they were done and ready for me to harvest. But now they are staying green way past the estimated end dates and dont die.
I use Canna nutes and feed by their schedule. I water once a day (though I tried to start 3x a day recently and immediately 3 plants came up with burnt tips so Im confused and gun-shy) and had been feeding them every time. I usually live in a Sea of Green but its gotten out of hand. It has been suggested that I lower my Nitrogen and with Canna that means A (4-0-1 - not particularly onerous). I had a bad dose of Nitrogen toxicity in my last grow. Not sure what to do. I have switched from changing colors of leaves to more extensive trichome examination. But they just dont want to die.
Any ideas?

Theres your biggest problem ..... feeding by their schedule ! nute companys always want you feeding more so you have to buy more ! canna especially . they could very easily give you what you need in 1 or 2 bottles , but they break them down into seperate bottles so they can charge ya more .

HGO & BS are giving ya great advice !!! feed no higher than 1.2 EC at peek & start to lower the dose after peek so the plants can use up whats in the coco & then 10 days minimum before the chop , start feeding nothing but plain water till ya chop ...... then watch how the fans die off by the end .
picture.php

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Dan's hit the nail in the head with that one, canna nutes are pretty strong. Never feed by their schedule. All plants are different, just keep your eye on them and feed accordingly. Have you got an EC/PH meter? If you don't then get one asap so you'll know exactly what you're feeding your girls.

On the flush, how do you do it? I personally mix up some cal/mag at 0.4EC and flush the plants until I'm seeing 0.4EC come out of the waste then I feed them plain water until harvest. I also use a flushing agent to help the process.

G'luck,
HGO

Last edited:
S

silviomanuel

Hello, I've just started my first grow in coco according to HGO tutorial.
I've started from seed in 2 gallon smart pot.
I have 2,5 gallon water reservoir for feeding with drip system, but I am fighting with ph fluctuations.
Currently I am using RO water + canna mono Calcium and Magnesium + Hesi root complex,
After adjusting my PH to 5.8 wit PH Down it stays stable for an hour, but after 24 hours it goes up to 7.0.
What can I do to keep it stable?
Thanks in advance.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Hello, I've just started my first grow in coco according to HGO tutorial.
I've started from seed in 2 gallon smart pot.
I have 2,5 gallon water reservoir for feeding with drip system, but I am fighting with ph fluctuations.
Currently I am using RO water + canna mono Calcium and Magnesium + Hesi root complex,
After adjusting my PH to 5.8 wit PH Down it stays stable for an hour, but after 24 hours it goes up to 7.0.
What can I do to keep it stable?
Thanks in advance.

hey buddy thanks for posting.
I'm not trying to be snooty but i think its worth mentioning that the tutorial clearly outlines the need for and the instructions for why you go up in pot size sloooowly. i personally start seeds in cells the size of your finger and move to the 50 cell then the 4 inch then the 1 gal then the 2 gal after they are over a foot and a half and totally white in the 1 gal. you would be doing that plant a great service to pluck it out and put it in something no bigger than a pill bottle til it fills the roots. 2 gallons is way too big for a seedling and you won't get the results coco can provide with it in too big a pot. it'll be over a month before its ready for that pot size. stick with it coco rocks. just don't put them in too big a container until they are big aggressive growing plants. just gently scoop it with a spoon and try not to break the root too much but don't freak if you do it'll be allright. the grow roots like lizard tails.

S

silviomanuel

hey buddy thanks for posting.
I'm not trying to be snooty but i think its worth mentioning that the tutorial clearly outlines the need for and the instructions for why you go up in pot size sloooowly. i personally start seeds in cells the size of your finger and move to the 50 cell then the 4 inch then the 1 gal then the 2 gal after they are over a foot and a half and totally white in the 1 gal. you would be doing that plant a great service to pluck it out and put it in something no bigger than a pill bottle til it fills the roots. 2 gallons is way too big for a seedling and you won't get the results coco can provide with it in too big a pot. it'll be over a month before its ready for that pot size. stick with it coco rocks. just don't put them in too big a container until they are big aggressive growing plants. just gently scoop it with a spoon and try not to break the root too much but don't freak if you do it'll be allright. the grow roots like lizard tails.

Thank you for quick reply, I have 0,25 gallon air pot, so I will move the plant into it.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hey, Silviomanuel. Thanks for checking out the thread, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Str8edge is bang on the money with his post. Always start in smaller pots and work your way up. I start out in 2Ltr pots, then move to 3.5Ltr. If I'm growing SOG with 25 plants per light I stay with the 3.5Ltrs but if I'm running as low as 6 plants per lamp I transplant again to 6.5Ltr pots. I also don't add the hydroton until the last transplant. I'm not sure why your PH is jumping up so dramatically, are you recirculating or DTW? Is your EC staying the same? Which base nutrients are you using?

Peace,
HGO

S

silviomanuel

Hey, Silviomanuel. Thanks for checking out the thread, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Str8edge is bang on the money with his post. Always start in smaller pots and work your way up. I start out in 2Ltr pots, then move to 3.5Ltr. If I'm growing SOG with 25 plants per light I stay with the 3.5Ltrs but if I'm running as low as 6 plants per lamp I transplant again to 6.5Ltr pots. I also don't add the hydroton until the last transplant. I'm not sure why your PH is jumping up so dramatically, are you recirculating or DTW? Is your EC staying the same? Which base nutrients are you using?

Peace,
HGO

Hi, I am using DTW technique.
I bought Hesi COCO starter kit

picture.php

Currently I am adding to RO water only calcium magnesium and root complex.
May be when I will start to add nutrients it will add more buffer to the solution.
It is my first grow in coco, I did another one in soil, but without big success :(
I think I will start grow journal apart in order to keep this thread more clean :)
Thank you.

Attachments

• hesi startersetcoco.jpg
    hesi startersetcoco.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 15

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
IMO it's the Hesi root complex, I used to use hesi for organic soil. Are their coco range organic as well by any chance? I use canna mono Mg, and Ca often and it never does much to my rez but then again I'm only putting in 0.05-0.1EC. How much are you using? How big are your plants? Why aren't you using a base? Finally, what is your water when it's fresh?

Peace,
HGO

S

silviomanuel

IMO it's the Hesi root complex, I used to use hesi for organic soil. Are their coco range organic as well by any chance? I use canna mono Mg, and Ca often and it never does much to my rez but then again I'm only putting in 0.05-0.1EC. How much are you using? How big are your plants? Why aren't you using a base?

Peace,
HGO

They are saying it's organic :), My plant just sprouted so I am afraid to add any food to the solution, only RO water, canna Ca Mg 100ppm for both, root complex and supervit. should I start to add the base, or it's better to wait until second set of leaves?
Thanks.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
They are saying it's organic :), My plant just sprouted so I am afraid to add any food to the solution, only RO water, canna Ca Mg 100ppm for both, root complex and supervit. should I start to add the base, or it's better to wait until second set of leaves?
Thanks.
i don't know any thing about that nutrient line but what ever you would add to a vegging plant be it base and cal/nit product plus anything else you like to a seedling. heres the trick. adjust the strength to a very low level. so same as veg but weaker. if the nutrient line is like most its going to be about 2x too strong on the recommended dosage. the proper dose for coco dtw multifeed is still even still about 50% or more too strong for a seedling. so mix up full strength and dilute by 150%-200% to start off. if this starts to yellow the plant decrease the dilution by a third. and follow this pattern till you don't see deficiency colors and you don't see burning or that horrible super dark green toxicity shiny forest green look. if you do see signs of overfeeding, don't flush water, simply lower dilution a little and flush and continue as before. no wild swings in reaction to mild issues. don't rev up the juice too fast when you see yellowing and don't flush with plain water if you see a bit of burn or over nitro look. light gentle corrections. if you adjust strength the effect is immediate in hydro you don't need to flush the shit out of them just lower strength and the plant will be at the right strength effective immediately.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
so when using organic bottled nutes i think e.c won't be a useful tool. but thats ok as long as its a good well balanced feed you can apply the exact same techniques for dialing except you'll do it by look of the leaves. i think it could be with with same level of accuracy if done very gently and slowly at first until you get what your level is and then you can be a little less conservative in your moves once you know where your basic strength bench marks are. si if 200 dilution works well for a new seedling this time it'll likely be a good starting point for next time.

billgee

Dan's hit the nail in the head with that one, canna nutes are pretty strong. Never feed by their schedule. All plants are different, just keep your eye on them and feed accordingly. Have you got an EC/PH meter? If you don't then get one asap so you'll know exactly what you're feeding your girls.

On the flush, how do you do it? I personally mix up some cal/mag at 0.4EC and flush the plants until I'm seeing 0.4EC come out of the waste then I feed them plain water until harvest. I also use a flushing agent to help the process.

G'luck,
HGO

The only problem is I used Canna according to their schedule for 3 years growing only 4 plants at a time in a much smaller environment and the girls used to expose themselves in a magnificent cascade of yellow. Its just here in my new place. Its a recent phenomenon. About EC: I dont know my EC, just never got the hang of it. Im usually between 500-700 ppm. Except during the PK week.

Stay green

Far out man, just finished reading all 36 pages and wow, just wow. Whis I had read this before I set u my first grow in 37 liter pots and coco. From reading here and what I want to achive it seems 6-9 pots of 6.5 litres would have about right.
Any way next grow. I'm 5 weeks into veg but they are still looking ok.

9bar2014

Hey Hundred Gram Oz i need to speak to you asap . i need my old acc turned on so i can message again .. you had my iceolator from me wink wink can u get on contact please cheers

dziqs

Hi HGO,
do you prepare you coco before using it? I didn,t and i have 7ph runoff :/ so i dont know if i should prepare it before(canna pro +).
Btw when you start in 2 ltr pot did you water 3 times a day at the end of week 2?

Best regards :)

S

silviomanuel

7 days baby

The leaves has very light green color is it ok, or it's time to add some more food to solution?
Currently I am adding 1/8 of recommended dosage.
what do you think?