What's new

70w hps club

lohocla420

hi all - some great grows here.

im doing some research on yields for 70 hps - am i right in thinking that anything approaching 1g/watt is pretty oustanding for these bulbs?
has anyone broken the gram per watt barrier yet??

thanks

V.

not 100% on this but I think DrBud broke the 1gpw in his thread which I cannot find right now

hendrix123

New grow

New grow

hey Iv nearly finished my 70w hps cab. This grow is in my loft Its aeroponic/dwc. I will be using a fogger as well as an airpump. I took a few pictures through out the build which i have uploaded. hope u all dont mind. would like to here your comments as this is my first go its kinda like shooting in the dark.

I have changed a few things as iv been building normally to make my life easyier.
any way everything is complete but im still wating on dilivery on a climate controller a tubular heater a ultrasonic fogger, a automatic fire extigiuser, digital high grow meter, ph test kit with up and down and one clip on fan. All the stuff is being sent from china surprise surpise it takes about 20 days to get here.
oh and seeds.

Attachments

• growcupboard.jpg
    growcupboard.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0126.jpg
    PICT0126.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT012700.jpg
    PICT012700.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0133.jpg
    PICT0133.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 16
I made a big mistake with the screen, but my next go around should be a lot more uniform, or at the very least more filled in.

Somewhere around a month or so left...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hendrix123

SOme new pictures of my setup!

Attachments

• PICT0123.jpg
    PICT0123.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0120.jpg
    PICT0120.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20 days into flower
    20 days into flower
    108.2 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0124.jpg
    PICT0124.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 12

pasporr

Hi all experienced 70w HPS growers.
What do you think is the maximum distance a 70w bulb can be from the plants while still remaining productive?

pasporr

Thanks mrred.
I have had to move my bulb up a bit to increase coverage. The bits directly below are about 15cm (6in) away, perhaps a little closer. The margins of my screen are about 20cm (8in) away... I'll post again when I have a comparison between the two!

Sparkitup77

I just bought a 70 watt hps security light on clearance for $40.00...at home depot....thought it was a good deal.. now trying to figure out which way is the best way to install it.I'm using a old pc with 17in tall 17in long 7in wide measurements...I had it set up for 2 150 cfl's.. but now my design is changing any pointers would be great pics would be better yet.. thanks for your time

smokeymacpot

Veteran
I just bought a 70 watt hps security light on clearance for $40.00...at home depot....thought it was a good deal.. now trying to figure out which way is the best way to install it.I'm using a old pc with 17in tall 17in long 7in wide measurements...I had it set up for 2 150 cfl's.. but now my design is changing any pointers would be great pics would be better yet.. thanks for your time

cooltube or at least a fan pointed at the bulb, good exhaust fan, maybe 2 pc exhaust fans running at lower voltage.
a 70w hps can kickout a surprising amount of heat.
mini sog or mini scrog. i would pick a very well trained scrog :) maybe having the scrog go up the sides of the case for max surface area and to get lots of small buds.
Photo-0312.jpg

cfl scrog, veging 3 clones that were lst'd for multiple tops which were veged out to 20-30cm tall, fan leaves removed as the side shoots need full lighting. another week or 2 of veg once all the small shoots take off , train them to fill more of the screen and then flip timer and train/tie down any that grow taller than the majority. looks harsh to start with, but look at all the small shoots.. good huh and will do well under hps or cfl, plant training is the key to micro grows.

Strativa

Hey guys:wave:. Just have a story and wanted to tell it to people who might care. I had seen a 70w hps security light on sale at local big box for $20 because the box was beat up. I avoided it for obvious reasons. So I ordered a 70w hps and a 70w cmh (ballasts and bulbs) but had no socket. My bulbs required medium base, so i went to big box to find the right one. They did not have any HID sockets at all. So i went to local electrical supply, they had mogul, but would have to order mediums and would call me with pricing. So i stopped at the local hydro store in town and all they had was mogul. I started getting frusterated that i would have to order more and wait. I remembered the set up on sale, surely it had a socket? Went back to big box to see if they still had it (it had been a week or two since i first saw it). Sure enough it was there. I asked to open it to make sure everything was ok (and that it had a medium base socket) and it was good! So I look at the price and get this: they dropped the price to $5!!! On top of that, it came with an hps bulb. The ballast did not come with a capacitor (as expected) so it will be designated as a back up.

I ended up paying $5 for a socket ballast and bulb:jump:.

The socket alone would have been $15 after shipping. Also, Ill only be using one bulb at a time so it worked out excellent. Just had to share. :)

P.S. Electrical supply called to tell me the part was OEM only and that they could not help me.

Rambro

OK ive got a sterilite rubbermaid cab that measures about 22"x16"x34" and im lookin to grow 2-3 autoflowers in there. Would a 70watt hps be good enough to pull in a gram per watt and also what kinda ventilation am i gonna need for this? I would go to a 150w but in this small cab in my closet i know heat will be an issue and the more ventilation i need the louder/less stealth this will be. What can i expect from a 70w hps grow? should i just go wit CFL's? im just tryin to grow some nice personal stash. an ounce would last me a long time

beejium

Personally I would put cfls in the Rubbermaid box and put the hps in something that won't melt like; wood, aluminum, or steel. People get 1gpw on cfl's, so a little fine tuning and you should hit 1gpw or possibly more. 70w hps will sizzle the skin, so I suggest the 3" 110v fan from radio shack. It's a muffin fan similar to pc fans, but it has balls. Watch your fingers and pay the extra dollar or 2 for fan grills, so you are not missing skin or greenery. Also remember you are looking for 50w to 75w per square foot of hps.

kino

Hi
Just star growing in my new cabinet. Cabinet is 19"x19"x22" runnig 70w HPS. I got 4 rooted blueberry clones from my friend and i put those to old 3 gallon wine box.

img0953z.jpg

Cabinet going to be stealth

img0944oe.jpg

1 Pc Fan blowing fresh air inside

img0955g.jpg

1 Pc Fan to plants

img0960q.jpg

img0963g.jpg

img0966q.jpg

img0946a.jpg

snapshot201004142.jpg

I found this from backyard and it's perfect to scrog

Rambro

Personally I would put cfls in the Rubbermaid box and put the hps in something that won't melt like; wood, aluminum, or steel. People get 1gpw on cfl's, so a little fine tuning and you should hit 1gpw or possibly more. 70w hps will sizzle the skin, so I suggest the 3" 110v fan from radio shack. It's a muffin fan similar to pc fans, but it has balls. Watch your fingers and pay the extra dollar or 2 for fan grills, so you are not missing skin or greenery. Also remember you are looking for 50w to 75w per square foot of hps.
if the temps are fine and the bulb isnt touching anything (which it never should be to my knowledge) then the plastic isnt going to melt. its gonna be wrapped in 2mil mylar and maybe cooltubed if need be

Rambro

i dont know what im going to do. tomorrow im gonna go back to target and see if i can trade out the rubbermaid cab for a wooden one. maybe go bigger so i can use a 150w comfortably. setting up a grow cab is fucking confusing when you dont know what kind of heat to expect

Latest posts

Latest posts