What's new

70w hps club

luxiao

Hello everyone! First post on ICMAG and already I have a problem :(
I would be a member in the 70w HPS club, if I knew how to wire my ballast and socket :D
The problem is, that I don't have an igniter, it's supposed to be in the ballast. My ballast should have two wires coming out from it, one from where it says "230v" and one where it shows "L". I got a diagram from my friend. You can find the diagram there: http://img16.imageshack.us/i/hpseq.jpg/ I did everything like that, but nothing happened, no like whatsoever from the bulb. But I didn't have a wire coming out from the "L" place, so I stuck one there and hoped it'd do the job, but apparently, I'm an impatient person, and I saw my friend's ballast, he had made a cut into the green plastic thing in front of it. Well, I got carried away and twisted the whole green plastic thing apart! One metallic "table" came off and one wire broke too, I but the metallic "table" back to its' place and put the wire back to where it should be. I tried again, this time, I knew that the L wire was where it was supposed to be, but still, no light whatsoever from the bulb!!! Now here I am, desperate, worried about my ballast, did I wreck it or is it still usable? Here's a picture of it:
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1020/20012010132.jpg
I hope someone can help me :)
hpseq.jpg

hendrix123

Hi im hendrix. Thanks for all ur very informative posts. now ur all under arrest.lol
Im in the middle of setting up my first mini stealth grow box. Im waiting for the rest of my stuff to arrive but iv still got alot of work to do on my cab.
I have order a 70w hps so pls can i join ur club. I will be growing 3 plants I already have a 15w frl grow light that a buddy gave me. it looks pretty sweet. ill post my pics on here as soon as poss. The only difference i have noticed with my set up is im going for hydro. is this a good idea wiv a 70w light. im looking to grow white dwaf under it.
I hope they hurry up wiv my stuff cos boy i need a big fat toke on mary Js nips! hendrix

nycjb

What would be the best position for a 70w in a PC style case? Does it matter? I had it running lengthwise but noticed that the front and back of my cab was IMO lacking light...but now that I turned it I am still not satisfied...Im worried because I only have 2 flowering plants in there and I have to squeeze them both underneath the bulb even though I have plenty of room...the light is just not intense unless its directly underneath and im worried that if I get more plants the buds will suffer on the sidelines...Im probably just thinking too much as usual but I just want more opinions.

grouchy

What would be the best position for a 70w in a PC style case? Does it matter? I had it running lengthwise but noticed that the front and back of my cab was IMO lacking light...but now that I turned it I am still not satisfied...Im worried because I only have 2 flowering plants in there and I have to squeeze them both underneath the bulb even though I have plenty of room...the light is just not intense unless its directly underneath and im worried that if I get more plants the buds will suffer on the sidelines...Im probably just thinking too much as usual but I just want more opinions.
18581gallery_6914_360_3014-thumb.jpg

18581gallery_6914_360_6298-thumb.jpg

Edit: Photo is not mine. Credit for this PC grow goes here - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=106329&highlight=works

luxiao

I would be a member in the 70w HPS club, if I knew how to wire my ballast and socket :D
The problem is, that I don't have an igniter, it's supposed to be in the ballast. My ballast should have two wires coming out from it, one from where it says "230v" and one where it shows "L". I got a diagram from my friend. You can find the diagram there: http://img16.imageshack.us/i/hpseq.jpg/ I did everything like that, but nothing happened, no like whatsoever from the bulb. But I didn't have a wire coming out from the "L" place, so I stuck one there and hoped it'd do the job, but apparently, I'm an impatient person, and I saw my friend's ballast, he had made a cut into the green plastic thing in front of it. Well, I got carried away and twisted the whole green plastic thing apart! One metallic "table" came off and one wire broke too, I but the metallic "table" back to its' place and put the wire back to where it should be. I tried again, this time, I knew that the L wire was where it was supposed to be, but still, no light whatsoever from the bulb!!! Now here I am, desperate, worried about my ballast, did I wreck it or is it still usable? Here's a picture of it:
hpseq.jpg
Any help, please?
Also, I looked at my ballast and it says "NK 70 LUP..." and on my bulb, there's "70 LU/90.." does that cause the trouble? Also, I looked up ballast manufacture's web page (helvar.com) and found a nice decent wiring diagram, did everything like that but I still have no luck, suggestions?

grouchy

Any help, please?
Also, I looked at my ballast and it says "NK 70 LUP..." and on my bulb, there's "70 LU/90.." does that cause the trouble? Also, I looked up ballast manufacture's web page (helvar.com) and found a nice decent wiring diagram, did everything like that but I still have no luck, suggestions?

I would buy a new ballast if you say that something twisted off. I wouldn't risk a fire on something that cheap.

luxiao

I would buy a new ballast if you say that something twisted off. I wouldn't risk a fire on something that cheap.
Can't figure how a wire would set itself on fire. If that's dangerous then I don't know how to call 42w CFL remote ballast idea. Other than that, ideas what I might be doing wrong?

grouchy

luxiao said:

Can't figure how a wire would set itself on fire. If that's dangerous then I don't know how to call 42w CFL remote ballast idea. Other than that, ideas what I might be doing wrong?

You described a scenario in your previous post that a metalic table twisted off and a wire. To me it sounded like you damaged a part of the ballast. My recommendation may not be the correct one but to turn around and bash on a DIY thread that I spent a lot of time writing up is childish. I made sure all my connections were soldered carefully and did my research first before attempting any changes. You will probably not get much help here if you treat those trying to help you like crap.

luxiao

You described a scenario in your previous post that a metalic table twisted off and a wire. To me it sounded like you damaged a part of the ballast. My recommendation may not be the correct one but to turn around and bash on a DIY thread that I spent a lot of time writing up is childish. I made sure all my connections were soldered carefully and did my research first before attempting any changes. You will probably not get much help here if you treat those trying to help you like crap.
I'm sorry if I insulted you, that was not my intention. I was just trying to point it out, that I'm pretty sure it's not damaged as the green cover can be taken off and if it got a hit, it would come off fairly easy and that doesn't necessarily mean that it's unsafe to use. Oh, and I didn't know that the 42w CFL remote ballast tutorial was made by you when I wrote the post, so yeah, I'm sorry.

Edit: I worked it out.

hello community a few months back lowes was dumping there 70hps lights i think i picked them up for a dollar or so each needless to say i left them with a clean shelf....my initial idea was too use them for my veggin plants etc...... what are you guys doing for a ballast for these things?

B

BigHit

algrow12: That look's awesome! I hope i get even half of that.

What strain is that?

grouchy

hello community a few months back lowes was dumping there 70hps lights i think i picked them up for a dollar or so each needless to say i left them with a clean shelf....my initial idea was too use them for my veggin plants etc...... what are you guys doing for a ballast for these things?

I bought a 70w hps security light and used the ballast from that. There is a good write up on how to do it on ICMag somewhere. Check out pontiacs DIY list in the growrooms design section.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all - some great grows here.

im doing some research on yields for 70 hps - am i right in thinking that anything approaching 1g/watt is pretty oustanding for these bulbs?
has anyone broken the gram per watt barrier yet??

thanks

V.

Latest posts

Latest posts