What's new

70w hps club

M

mrred

dont cover the top in mylar, thats a fire hazard , easiest way is to mount the light to the top , you might need a spacer or some kind to make room for th exhaust hole. exhaust hole goes high as possible because thats where the heat is, then get some dryer exhaust ducting for the light traps, make youre reflector out of metal, and theres alot of plans for them on here , and anotheer thing to consider is that the 70hps has a effective ranger of no more than 6-8 inches

beejium

a reflector will help, but you can run without it, if u wanna get started. leave room for sure and add it in as things come together. a few ~1" holes in the shelves are a good thing.

Rambro

should i cover the top with aluminum tape then? or should i just go with a reflector? i can make one out of sheetmetal if need be

Rambro

how do you guys mount the light in your cab? and i just got my 120mm scythe ultra kaze fan in the mail. thing is way bigger than i thought itd be but its all good. gotta figure how ima make a carbon scrubber now

Ctcoyote16

yup, dont touch the bulb it WILL burn you :)

Yup, can definitely see that... :/

Just wanted to confirm it was normal.

Is it safe to say though that 3 MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm's ( ~ 2500 RPM; 31.73 CFM) and 1 Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" (800 RPM, 40.17 CFM) would be sufficient to vent a relatively small cab of about 12"L x 11"W x 34"T with the 70w HPS and maybe an additional 26W CFL or two?

I heard great things about the moving power of the 3000 Ultra Kazes but they seem to be pretty loud...

MagicChef - wow! amazing grow man! what was the harvest like?

hi there guys, im thinking about doing an HPS in my PC case, my PC case is huge, and i think it would fit, its 30" tall!!

im just wondering, how in gods name am i supposed to mount it in here! :thinking:

the walls are bare, and all there is, is a riveted frame, im not sure how you guys do it, but i see almost no way, without drilling holes into the wall, as i dont think using any kinda of stickiness would work, because the lamp just get soo hott!.

i do plan too, however, have one big PC fan at the back, blowing out of a carbon pad, to block the light, and only reducing the air flow about 5%

now, the CFL is only temporary, and i have lined one side of the case with mylar insulator that i have. im also going to be lining the ceiling with aluminum tape.

any suggestions on the space? im planning on running a DWC with two pots, it will fit perfectly into the space, filling it almost completely, with a space aside for clones. then i will be SCROGing.

2.jpg

for my HPS im going to go to my local hardware store where i have seen a 70-100 watt HPS flood light (cant exactly remember the wattage) hopefully, for a decent price, and ill be able to hook that up inside, but still.

i need to know how to hook it up!

thanks in advanced on any help i might get from the club, as im looking forward to joining you guys! dont be afraid too pm me!:wave:

christoph :tiphat:

Ctcoyote16

Christoph: I too am finding difficulties in mounting the light fixture.

I picked up a Lithonia Lighting 70W HPS from Home Depot for ~ 47$ with tax. Here is the same model I got: http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Hooking it up was surprisingly easy. I thought at first it would be hard to understand, however, it already comes (correctly) wired with a sensor. All you have to do is remove the sensor wires and it is pretty much ready to go.

From the end of the socket to the end of the bulb when plugged in is just about 6", if that gives you any help. However, mind you, the ballast and wires coming out of the socket and said ballast are going to take up a little bit of space...

Ive got my ballast currently fixed in a 7" diameter metal tin, 3" thick with the lid closed. Until I find a better solution (possibly electrical wall socket), this is my makeshift ballast container.

MagicChef

If you can and have the knowledge, you guys should lengthen your ballast wires, moving it outside your cabinet, making it remote. By doing this you will cut your new heat increases in half, as I found the bulb puts out about half the heat. Remember when you do this to secure your ballast down to its new home, as it is a transformer and vibrations are never good. Happy growing. If you need any help give me a shout.
:wave:

Rambro

ok here goes nothin with my ghetto ass 70w hps grow. strain is lowlife autoflowing fem ak47, rocklock freebie didnt pop and lemon skunk freebie is in napkin now but i doubt itll sprout cuz the seed was kinda pale. im doing it on 12/12 from seed because of heat issues, peak temps in my cab get up to 90 and this seedling is about 4-5 days old. if the lemon skunk doesnt crack ill probably put another ak47 bean in there with that one. has a 2000rpm ultra kaze blowing on the plant, and 3000rpm ultra kaze exhaustin thru homemade incab carbon scrubber. the light can be raised up and i probably should make a hood of some kind but honestly im tired of fuckin with this thing and just wanna grow some plants! ballast was left inside the thing it came in and stuck to left of the cab. this grow is semi stealth and in my closet with clothes so lets hope the carbon filter works of im gonna be investing in hella febreze! oh yea the soil in half FF happy frog and half walmart jiffy seedling mix. only fert i have so far is FF BigBloom, if i need more shit ill get it when i need it. wish me luck guys:bump:

Attachments

• IMG000005.jpg
    IMG000005.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG000006.jpg
    IMG000006.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG000007.jpg
    IMG000007.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG000008.jpg
    IMG000008.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 18
i am quite handy at wiring. and im thinking of grabbing a hps i saw at canadian tire.

but atm im going to have to stick with CFL's seeing as how my current temps are still at 30 Celsius =.=

im still quite interested as to how i could mount the light.

any suggestions would be great, my mind works best with pictures :)

christoph.

SeriousNerd

Looking good Rambro - when I started growing I also had all kinds of issues, but those plants can take quite a beating and still produce some nice to smoke weed! Just make sure you don't burn down the house and keep a close eye on the grow for the first few weeks. In my experience temps tend to rise a bit as plants grow and airflow is restricted, so look out for that.

any suggestions would be great, my mind works best with pictures :)

That's how mine is mounted:

Ctcoyote16

If you can and have the knowledge, you guys should lengthen your ballast wires, moving it outside your cabinet, making it remote. By doing this you will cut your new heat increases in half, as I found the bulb puts out about half the heat. Remember when you do this to secure your ballast down to its new home, as it is a transformer and vibrations are never good. Happy growing. If you need any help give me a shout.
:wave:
... I guess I should look into this; however, ATM I have no such knowledge :)

Also, could anyone verify my thoughts on the fans?:
Is it safe to say though that 3 MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm's ( ~ 2500 RPM; 31.73 CFM) and 1 Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" (800 RPM, 40.17 CFM) would be sufficient to vent a relatively small cab of about 12"L x 11"W x 34"T with the 70w HPS and maybe an additional 26W CFL or two?

I heard great things about the moving power of the 3000 Ultra Kazes but they seem to be pretty loud...

Thanks.

Rambro

ok good news, my lemon skunk cracked and has been planted and the random huge bagseed also cracked and has been planted. i might put the auto ak47 and bagseed outside somewhere and grow the lemon skunk inside though im not sure